• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Weird Weekend 2023

Really?.. I’ve not seen any in Tesco round my way. Ginsters yes but I’d put them in the ‘OK in a hurry if there’s nothing else around’ bag. I’d struggle to call them ‘nice’. Are there others?
I dunno as I don't eat pasties.

Techy does. I sometimes take him back posh ones from bakeries and delis on my travels.

However: no matter how gourmet a pasty claims to be, stocked in no matter how quaint a Shoppe, sold to me by no matter how apple-cheeked and gingham-aproned a smiling lass, I'm not paying seven quid.

Techy does. I sometimes take him back posh ones from bakeries and delis on my travels.

However: no matter how gourmet a pasty claims to be, stocked in no matter how quaint a Shoppe, sold to me by no matter how apple-cheeked and gingham-aproned a smiling lass, I'm not paying seven quid.

Even if it was prime bigfoot/Nessie meat?

You can get all-veggie ones sometimes. I can’t remember the last time I had a really nice pastie, or where. They’re rare items. Bland & tasteless with soggy pastry ones more common. Yeah £7 + is too steep.

You can get all-veggie ones sometimes. I can’t remember the last time I had a really nice pastie, or where. They’re rare items. Bland & tasteless with soggy pastry ones more common. Yeah £7 + is too steep.
A hot cheese'n'onion or spicy veg pasty from a bakery when we're out cycling in the freezing cold has been known to cheer me up. :)

There's also that northern English delicacy, the Hot Pie Cheesy Bap -

Attachments

•  pie sandwich.jpeg
    pie sandwich.jpeg
    238.8 KB · Views: 13
A hot cheese'n'onion or spicy veg pasty from a bakery when we're out cycling in the freezing cold has been known to cheer me up. :)

There's also that northern English delicacy, the Hot Pie Cheesy Bap -
Ooooerrrr missus.. Is that actually a real thing you can buy in a cheesy bap shop?

Ooooerrrr missus.. Is that actually a real thing you can buy in a cheesy bap shop?
You'll have to ask Techy for the recipe. That's his stomach in the background under the black teeshirt.

From memory; it was one Asda Cheesy Bap, sliced and buttered, cold, filled with one microwaved Holland's meat and potato pie.

You'll have to ask Techy for the recipe. That's his stomach in the background under the black teeshirt.

From memory; it was one Asda Cheesy Bap, sliced and buttered, cold, filled with one microwaved Holland's meat and potato pie.
Oh right, homemade……… think I’ll pass.

I believe the species exists in the wild. The further north it's found, the more likely it's battered and deep fried.
Mmmmmm...... battered hot pie cheesy bap.. I'm picturing gravy with that.

And now, back to weird weekend.

Mmmmmm...... battered hot pie cheesy bap.. I'm picturing gravy with that.

And now, back to weird weekend.
The Weird Weekend would be a LOT better with addition of a Battered Hot Cheesy Meat and Potato Bap'n'Gravy van. :nods:
(Edited to include a crucial ingredient.)

Last edited:
Personally would take some tins of salmon and sweetcorn, bottle of mayonnaise and some packets of wraps (and a tin opener), Also Mattesons do some cooked deli sausages that you can store at room temperature and aren't bad sliced up in super noodles etc...

Last edited:
Personally would take some tins of salmon and sweetcorn, bottle of mayonnaise and some packet of wraps (and a tin opener), Also Mattesons do some cooked deli sausages that you can store at room temperature and aren't bad sliced up in super noodles etc...
Those ad hoc picnic thoughts occurred to me too.
Emergency catering. :)

Someone could take a couple of packs of sliced bread rolls and a jar each of peanut butter and jam. Paper plates and napkins, plastic knives, bish bash bosh. :twothumbs:

Those ad hoc picnic thoughts occurred to me too.
Emergency catering. :)

Someone could take a couple of packs of sliced bread rolls and a jar each of peanut butter and jam. Paper plates and napkins, plastic knives, bish bash bosh. :twothumbs:
I'm not keen on tinned tuna but if you are then there are plenty of choices including chilli and satay etc.

Cheese is another versatile option, in fact a cool box and a few of those freezer block things will keep all manner of picnic food cold for 24 hours (provided the lid is kept closed). I've also packed a small solid fuel stove and small pan for a spot of lay-by cuisine as I find hot bacon butties and/or fried egg baps do wonders for your morale. It is just a matter of finding the right lay-by or parking area.

In fact, is it worth organising a hog roast? They will be prepared to travel to way-out places as they cater for wedding receptions in all manner of locations. Just a matter of organising a veggie option

I'm not keen on tinned tuna but if you are then there are plenty of choices including chilli and satay etc.

Cheese is another versatile option, in fact a cool box and a few of those freezer block things will keep all manner of picnic food cold for 24 hours (provided the lid is kept closed). I've also packed a small solid fuel stove and small pan for a spot of lay-by cuisine as I find hot bacon butties and/or fried egg baps do wonders for your morale. It is just a matter of finding the right lay-by or parking area.

In fact, is it worth organising a hog roast? They will be prepared to travel to way-out places as they cater for wedding receptions in all manner of locations. Just a matter of organising a veggie option

Yup, I could personally organise all kinds of food and will be providing for Techy and me, but the event itself should be catering properly. I've told'em this.

People come from a long way off and can't buy anything to eat. Like I said earlier, it's the worst place for getting fed that I've ever visited.

Yup, I could personally organise all kinds of food and will be providing for Techy and me, but the event itself should be catering properly. I've told'em this.

People come from a long way off and can't buy anything to eat. Like I said earlier, it's the worst place for getting fed that I've ever visited.
It is a great line-up and I would attend just for Rob Gandy alone if it were down this way. But yes, the lack of catering is perhaps the Weirdest aspect of Weird Weekend North, especially given the £50 tickets, its baffling tbh...

It is a great line-up and I would attend just for Rob Gandy alone if it were down this way. But yes, the lack of catering is perhaps the Weirdest aspect of Weird Weekend North, especially given the £50 tickets, its baffling tbh...
Words out of my very mouth. :twothumbs:
For a conference costing that money I'd expect better.
Well, something. Anything at all.

In Thailand, customers can order takeaways in Ouija-themed packaging.
Not sure we'll be in their area though.

Attachments

• Ouija pizza box.jpg
    Ouija pizza box.jpg
    522.2 KB · Views: 11
Latest idea is to keep the hall open for an hour or so on the Saturday evening to allow Weekenders to have food delivered and consume it together.

Takeaway shops near the Rixton with Glazebrook Community Hall

Cadishead Charcoal Grill

Kebab shop
http://cadishead-charcoalgrill.co.uk/

Hajars Cafe Grill House
Kebab shop
https://www.hajarsfood.co.uk/

Yummy
Takeaway
http://www.hkpcl.com/yummy

ZARA Indian Takeaway
zaracadishead.co.uk

Chicago Fried Chicken
Fast food
https://chicagofriedchickenonline.com/order-now

Spices of Kashmir
Indian takeaway
https://spicesofkashmir.com/order-now

if anyone needs a cheap place to stay
I'd already re-booked at an exclusive venue with a name which is an anagram of Inner Prime...but: I'll bear that alternative suggestion in mind for future visits.

Those who are high ascended masters of 'The Order' tend to stay at a location which could be anagrammatically-named Back Lawns (but I suspect they're fully pre-booked for the first week in April until 2099)

I'd already re-booked at an exclusive venue with a name which is an anagram of Inner Prime...but: I'll bear that alternative suggestion in mind for future visits.

Those who are high ascended masters of 'The Order' tend to stay at a location which could be anagrammatically-named Back Lawns (but I suspect they're fully pre-booked for the first week in April until 2099)
We're staying at the Back Lawns. Last time, it was booked up for dinner before we even arrived. :mad:
They don't do bar snacks (like a nice Ploughman's) so we had nothing at all.

Maybe I could've gone foraging in the nearby village, 3 miles away, but the place is so busy I'd've lost my parking space. Even when we'd booked in advance it was touch-and-go, and there's nowhere else to park.

Just signed up for Saturday (first ever visit) and I'll be up for trying some ouija/table lifting.

I found this place if anyone needs a cheap place to stay: https://caravanparkscheshire.co.uk/bedsits/
About 15 minutes away on foot.
That's a great idea. However, it's going to be a dicey walk back after a skinful. :nods:

Though I bet the ouija/tipping would go down well there. :chuckle:

What's the parking like at this venue?
There's ample parking round the back of the hall. I seem to remember that leaving vehicles there overnight is either not permitted or not recommended due to there being no lighting after a certain time.
As it backs onto a field there's no ambient light. It'd be black as coal at night.

The hotel parking is snug and they're sniffy about using it before/after your stay. So we couldn't park on there when we arrived before the talks started and had to move off it as soon as we checked out.

Techy will know so I'll ask him and get back to you.
Someone else might jump in first. ;)

Back