• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Weird Weekend 2023

The pie in a bap is thing round here... It's know as a Wigan kebab.
Pies, oh yup, Wigan is THE place innit! :)

I sometimes go there for work. One day I will have time to bring Techy back some crusty, gravy'd Wigan bounty. :cool:

There's a famous pie company's factory in my home town. When I worked nearby I'd see some gigantically obese staff wobbling in and out.
Workers can snack freely when on the floor and it shows.

Their company vehicles would sometimes break down and our mechanics would help out. Huge trays of hot pies and pasties would be gratefully delivered and fallen upon. Can't have been good for anyone!

Excellent question, Grashopper. :cool:

I reckon it's cheap, and possibly accessible for the organisers. At least one lives nearby.

The hall itself is very nice and the speakers are interesting. Everything is OK except for the starvation regime.

Hmmm, are any of the organisers psychologists? They might be carrying out an experiment,

When the starving Weekenders get a whiff of hot fresh food you'll be fallen upon in seconds.

Remember The Walking Dead? It'll be like that.
I've often wondered what it's like at these events for people-passersby etc who are non-Fortean and know nothing about this forum, if they overhear conversations;

Hi Swifty
Hi Bugmum, how's it going?
Fine. Have you seen Catseye?
Yes, she's over there talking to Dick Turpin, Lord Lucan, Bad Bungle and Tunn11
Oh watch out, Ermintruder's headed this way....

I've often wondered what it's like at these events for people-passersby etc who are non-Fortean and know nothing about this forum, if they overhear conversations;

Hi Swifty
Hi Bugmum, how's it going?
Fine. Have you seen Catseye?
Yes, she's over there talking to Dick Turpin, Lord Lucan, Bad Bungle and Tunn11
Oh watch out, Ermintruder's headed this way....
Like the Unconvention events, where we FTMBers'd gather under an artistically-designed flag (where did that go, I wonder?) in the courtyard to introduce ourselves. :cool:

In Priestley's The Good Companions, the troupe meet up for a tour on a railway station and new members ask fellow travellers 'Excuse me, are you a Dinky-Do?'
It was a bit like that. :chuckle:

Here's the flag.
The toy snail may make an appearance this weekend.

Attachments

• FTMB flag at Unon 2004.jpeg
    FTMB flag at Unon 2004.jpeg
    52.2 KB · Views: 28
:cool:

In Priestley's The Good Companions, the troupe meet up for a tour on a railway station and new members ask fellow travellers 'Excuse me, are you a Dinky-Do?'
It was a bit like that. :chuckle:
That's how I imagined it.

Pies, oh yup, Wigan is THE place innit! :)

I sometimes go there for work. One day I will have time to bring Techy back some crusty, gravy'd Wigan bounty. :cool:

There's a famous pie company's factory in my home town. When I worked nearby I'd see some gigantically obese staff wobbling in and out.
Workers can snack freely when on the floor and it shows

Their company vehicles would sometimes break down and our mechanics would help out. Huge trays of hot pies and pasties would be gratefully delivered and fallen upon. Can't have been good for anyone!
I think you and I have seen two sets of staff at that factory....

Willywonkaandthechocolatefactory.jpg
oompa-loompa-34.jpg

We've ordered pizzas for 19:45. :cool:
Sounds like a plan....(remember that you may need to defend them against bears)
lastordersplease.jpg(click ^)

(ps I've just recently landed at Star Base 'Inner Prime'.....some of the restaurant diners looked as if they might be pod people, so I've given dinner a miss. Mind you, a questionable edible eaten earlier at Southwaite Services may have influenced my decision)

Sounds like a plan....(remember that you may need to defend them against bears)
View attachment 64873(click ^)

(ps I've just recently landed at Star Base 'Inner Prime'.....some of the restaurant diners looked as if they might be pod people, so I've given dinner a miss. Mind you, a questionable edible eaten earlier at Southwaite Services may have influenced my decision)
The 'doors close' feature was there before I bitched them out about everybody starving.
We'll be there early tomorrow. See how it goes. We have loads of refreshments and entertainment planned. :cool:

The 'doors close' feature was there before I bitched them out about everybody starving.
We'll be there early tomorrow. See how it goes. We have loads of refreshments and entertainment planned. :cool:
I'm sure you've sorted out refreshments -

giphy-73.gif

And the entertainment...

trey-kennedy-basketball.gif

Is there a forum or thread that advertises all the different conventions going on around the country throughout the year?

We stayed in the hotel as described.
Hoped to be haunted but I was worn out and fell asleep PDQ.

Techy had his foot pulled and heard giggling. I had no experiences whatsoever apart from the miracle of finding t'cludgie in the dark.

However, this morning after breakfast Techers popped beck to the room and SAW A GHOST! :omg:

A woman; flimsy white dress, shoulder-length bright blonde hair, walked across the corridor and through our locked room door.
Ho thought 'Hey up, those chambermaids're keen! We haven't left yet!' before it registered that she wasn't dressed for hard work.

He did of course immediately unlock the room and charge in there, finding nobody visiting.

Made his day! :cool:

That hotel is full of spirits....

cheers-alcohol-galore-david-patterson.jpg

However, this morning after breakfast Techers popped beck to the room and SAW A GHOST! :omg:

A woman; flimsy white dress, shoulder-length bright blonde hair, walked across the corridor and through our locked room door.
Ho thought 'Hey up, those chambermaids're keen! We haven't left yet!' before it registered that she wasn't dressed for hard work.

He did of course immediately unlock the room and charge in there, finding nobody visiting.

Bonnie Tyler was in his room?!

x720.jpeg

Techy had his foot pulled and heard giggling. I had no experiences whatsoever apart from the miracle of finding t'cludgie in the dark.

So he's no longer a sceptic?

Three times I asked you on what's app what techie had seen, then find it here by accident ...

Back