• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

What Did You Dream Of Last Night?

There's also a belief that you can't use the telephone in a dream or switch a light on.
I can't specifically remember if I've ever had a dream about a light switch but I have dreamed of making and receiving telephone calls.

One in particular stands out. It was back in the mid 70s from my mother-in-law saying she had some bad news. I didn't wait to hear what it was and woke up straight away and looked at the time as I was wondering if the phone ringing in real life was what had woken me. I felt sure it was going to be about my father-in-law although he wasn't ill at the time.

In the morning we did indeed get a call from my MIL with bad news. It wasn't about my FIL but his nephew. He was a brewery rep who liked a pint or two, he'd been away at a conference and managed to drown in the hotel swimming pool (in the early hours just as I was dreaming it.) I'd met my ex's cousin and we both liked him so we were both sad but all the same I was surprised that such a vivid dream had come to me, we didn't see him that often as we lived 'darn sarf' and he lived 'up north'.

I often dream of using phones. I can never dial the correct number.

I did just dream that my mom got a cell phone (never!) and was watching videos on it. I was admiring the graphics on the phone. I even played a short RPG game on it.

Had two vivid dreams.

In one, I was out in the sunshine, possibly on a snack break during a bike ride, when a wasp flew around me and landed on my head. I could feel it walking around in my hair.
(This couldn't really happen as my hair is always covered when I'm out especially when I'm cycling.)

So I demanded that whoever was with me, presumably Techy, remove the wasp forthwith. However, all efforts to dislodge it failed and I had to wait for it to get bored and fly away. I knew when it went because I saw it land on nearby brickwork.

Another dream was about scrambling down an embankment to look at an elaborate white marble roadside memorial I'd read about.

To my surprise there were homeless people living nearby. They were concerned about my safety and first showed me the memorial, which was as beautiful as I'd expected, and then walked me to a bus stop where I could catch a bus home.

A friendly Catweazle-type got on with me. As we went along I remarked that we were going the wrong way as a famous local wall was on our right and I'd end up in the next town. Catweazle said Yeah, but you can get home easily enough from there.

The bus ride made no sense because
a. The famous wall has been demolished.
b. If it was on our right we'd be travelling east towards home.
c. If we'd taken the wrong bus I could just get off right away.

That's what dreams are like though eh. :chuckle:

I've tried to use a light-switch in a dream but all I got was electrical static and crackling. In the same dream I tried to switch the radio on - same thing, just static and fizzing. (this was when I was at college circa 1981 - it developed into me leaving the house and walking to college, got two-thirds of the way there and was suddenly jolted back to bed, so this could have been an OOB)

I can't dial on phones in dreams, usually end up misdialling, and if I can get through I can't hear properly the voice on the other end. Light switches never work for me, and neither do any electrical devices. I've tried in a lucid dream to switch on a light and managed to get a flicker and a momentary illumination, but then I can't keep it on.

But last night (and seeing @lordmongrove's avatar reminded me), I dreamed I was watching something that featured Patrick Troughton as Doctor Who. I was astonished, because I though that the film had been lost. Wish I could remember the story... (and, yes, I know Mongrove isn't Patrick Troughton, but it was the Doctor connection that reminded me).

Last night I fell asleep listening to Dan Jones 'The Plantagenets'.

I dreamed that I took a bus to a place I was staying, with someone like a female relative who ran a cafe. I went in, had a joke with the boy who was laying tables. The cafe was a small, dark room up a flight of stairs, and the lady who ran the place was just the back of a head with a blonde beehive hairstyle. I laid a plate of cooked breakfast down on the table and was about to start eating it, when I became aware that, in the background, the radio was playing a programme detailing the life of Edward I, and I thought it was an interesting choice of radio show to have on.

Pity I never made the mental connection or I might have become lucid. But also, odd that I didn't.

More about being back at university. A growing sense of unease, a growing conviction I was there under false pretences, a feeling the university authorities were going to discover I'd done bugger all actual work and would expel me, wondering how to break it on returning home that I'd failed completely... Culminating in turning in a final exam paper where my thesis occupied half a page but was backed up with thirty-odd pages of blank paper in a vain attempt to make it look more substantial. The academic marking it had written one word, in red, on the blank half of the page and it was simply "Just?" With a voiceover saying something like "Try to be kind, this student has had issues".

Woke up...

I can't remember much of the dream except that I was eating salt n vinegar crisps. I hate them (and did so in the dream) yet I continued eating them.
Blimey, you can eat and taste things in dreams? That happens to me once in a decade of blue moons.

I can eat and taste in dreams as well.

I'd found a half eaten packet of extra strong mints the other night on top of a wall overlooking an industrial waste land which was being inundated with water and wondering if it was going to stop soon as I needed to walk over it. Anyway I decided I may as well eat the mints and they tasted OK and then I got worried in case whoever had sabotaged the waste land (couldn't work out where the water was coming from and worried that it may be contaminated) may have left the mints as a poisoned lure! Decided 'to hell with it things can't get any worse so I may as well eat them. :)

Woke up thinking that it was ages since I'd bought any mints and I'd add them to my Tesco order. As it happened I forgot so I still haven't had any!

I can eat and taste in dreams as well.

I'd found a half eaten packet of extra strong mints the other night on top of a wall overlooking an industrial waste land which was being inundated with water and wondering if it was going to stop soon as I needed to walk over it. Anyway I decided I may as well eat the mints and they tasted OK and then I got worried in case whoever had sabotaged the waste land (couldn't work out where the water was coming from and worried that it may be contaminated) may have left the mints as a poisoned lure! Decided 'to hell with it things can't get any worse so I may as well eat them. :)

Woke up thinking that it was ages since I'd bought any mints and I'd add them to my Tesco order. As it happened I forgot so I still haven't had any!
As an adjunct to this - do you also find it easy to conjure up taste and/or smell in waking life? I can 'imagine' the smell of cut grass or mints or the flavour of vinegar or vanilla quite easily whereas other people seem not to be able to. Everyone - sitting where you are now, can you immediately call to mind a particular perfume or taste? One, two or lots? If someone said 'raspberry vinegar' to you, can you straightaway 'taste' it in your mind?

Just interested.

Yes ... I'd assumed everyone could! :) Just goes to show how different we can be in the way our brains work and we just can't assume anything!

As an adjunct to this - do you also find it easy to conjure up taste and/or smell in waking life? I can 'imagine' the smell of cut grass or mints or the flavour of vinegar or vanilla quite easily whereas other people seem not to be able to. Everyone - sitting where you are now, can you immediately call to mind a particular perfume or taste? One, two or lots? If someone said 'raspberry vinegar' to you, can you straightaway 'taste' it in your mind?

Just interested.
Yes, quite easily.

I'm now wondering whether there's a link with aphantasia? Can those with aphantasia call to mind smells and tastes? I am fascinated now and may have to start a new thread....

Last night I had another 'pregnancy' dream. I was with a man and about six months pregnant, and I was putting his hand on my stomach to feel the baby kicking - it was turning and moving in a very realistic way. I could even see the kicks from the outside.

It must have been me digesting last night's Chop Suey.

Just interested.
I definitely can taste. Once in a while I might dream of a dessert, never a meal or anything bland. As a kid, I used to have dreams of eating or chewing something, like candy floss or gum, and then the taste would be horrible. I would spend the rest of the dream eating anything to try to get rid of taste.

I don't think I have a sense of smell in dreams. I can imagine a smell of lilacs for example. My favourite flower smell. I do have to visualize whatever it is that I want to smell.

It was a couple of nights ago that I had a strange dream.

I was outside with a friend and there was a loud explosion. We looked over and I said, "Hey, I'm almost positive that's Mt. Pinatubo erupting!" It started small, but became absolutely massive and then...turned into a mushroom cloud and I realized that it was no volcanic explosion...we were now in the middle of a nuclear war.

That's all, really. Just needed to share that one.

It was a couple of nights ago that I had a strange dream.

I was outside with a friend and there was a loud explosion. We looked over and I said, "Hey, I'm almost positive that's Mt. Pinatubo erupting!" It started small, but became absolutely massive and then...turned into a mushroom cloud and I realized that it was no volcanic explosion...we were now in the middle of a nuclear war.

That's all, really. Just needed to share that one.
Just a side note, volcanic eruptions can produce mushroom clouds... I've seen plenty produced by the Santiaguito volcano in Guatemala that looked like someone had dropped a nuke.

Just a side note, volcanic eruptions can produce mushroom clouds... I've seen plenty produced by the Santiaguito volcano in Guatemala that looked like someone had dropped a nuke.
Oh, yeah, any sufficiently large explosion will produce a mushroom cloud, but in this context it went from lava exploding to oh, crap, they nuked a volcano to set it off.

Last edited:
Yesterday at a hospital appointment I was offered a choice of treatments and gratefully accepted the most intrusive one, just to get it over with.

So last night I naturally dreamed about having a minor operation on a different body part, viz. both ears.
I'd been instructed to squirt medicine into them in preparation at home. Big chunks of wax fell out. I was fascinated.

I dreamt that I was checking out of a hotel. I went through the lobby area to the Reception desk, which was slightly around a corner near the entrance door. There had been people wandering around in the lobby, but no-one was at the desk. There was a large metal push-bell on the desk, so I hit it and it rang loudly. At exactly the same time, someone came in through the doors, with two greyhounds on leads and walked around the corner. A member of staff approaching assumed that this person had rung the bell and attended them in the lobby. Annoyed, I hit the bell again but it jammed. I tried multiple times but just couldn't get the bell to work again. Aaaaargh! Just like trying to dial a phone number in a dream.

Last edited:
Was lying in bed this morning listening to the rain and very reluctant to get up. Must have drifted off because I woke up on a bus and wrapped in a blanket. Wandered around town with a straight back and a jaunt in my step so people would think the blanket was a fashion statement and not that I was a rough-sleeper. Scene changed with me, my mum, sister and best mate (all 35 years younger) at a holiday spot which seemed quite familiar - but have only visited in previous dreams. I was helping mum and Villagers remove the scrub from a large communal path - sure that came from playing Tropical Merge non-stop for past fortnight.

I was at a second wedding for one of my sisters (she is still married irl). I had no clue as to whom she was marrying. I arrived on scene post introductions. Her ex husband said something negative about her (I didn't hear what).

Groom's family was somewhere around.

My sister was standing in her gown with him and her kids. I think waiting for the ceremony to start.

My other sister's husband was near and I said "hi" and noted that he looked fairly well. He died a couple of years ago irl lol.

The end. No action, no conversation, mostly just a scene.

Last edited:
My hearing seems enhanced in dreams the last two nights.
In the first I was woken by what sounded like wood being smashed.
When I looked it was just a painting with a thin wood back kept on with double sided tape detaching from a frame due to the heat. It was not broken.
This morning I dreamt there was someone on the roof and I asked why as I'd had it fixed not long ago,.
It was just my daughter going to the bathroom.

Not last night, but a few nights ago, I had a vivid dream in which it was announced on the news that Finland had cracked nuclear fusion and were determining a means by which to distribute this technology around the world.
There was great excitement and much anticipation of enough fusion energy could be brought online to mitigate GHG emissions

It was quite detailed. I woke quite elated.

I was dreaming that I was going downstairs with the actor Paul Eddington. In the dream I knew he was already dead, but he looked very well. I said hello Paul, as somehow I knew him, and he said hello in return (also knowing my name).

But when we both passed a mirror at the bottom of the stairs... I had a reflection but he didn't!!

That woke me up with a jolt!

Last edited:
I was dreaming that I was going downstairs with the actor Paul Eddington. In the dream I knew he was already dead, but he looked very well. I said hello Paul, as somehow I knew him, and he said hello in return (also knowing my name).

But when we both passed a mirror at the bottom of the stairs... I had a reflection but he didn't!!

That woke me up with a jolt!
Ah. Now I know others can see a reflection of themselves in a dream. I always find this ability interesting since most of my dreams, I view myself as a third person. Once in a while I see myself directly face to face.

Back