• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

What Did You Dream Of Last Night?

Can I have one of those? It sounds interesting.
Ok but not during rush hour please because it takes ages to prepare.

I think that dream came from a few Summers ago when I taught a rookie how to make all bells and whistles event milkshakes then had to ask her to stop promoting them when we had a long line of customers so we were making money anyway. Also from a time about 15 years ago when some lady asked me to do a 'cream tea' for her which consisted of about 10 things on a huge tray that all had to be done from scratch including hand whipping the cream, all of it takes ages. Then she decided she didn't have time to buy it when I got it to her table because she was on a time limit with a train to catch. Bummer.

Last night I dreamed I was riding a small pony, out with some other people. We started off riding over cobbles, then the cobbles gradually became more and more grassed over as we rode up a hill, ending up in a large field, which may or may not have been cobbles underneath. I was riding bareback and in a headcollar, but decided that I fancied a quick canter across this grassy expanse, so I kicked on and we managed a fairly brief, shuffly few strides of cantering before the pony turned its head and sort of looked up at me sideways. It had an odd expression, a sort of half-malicious, half long-suffering look. I decided that it wasn't worth the risk of any more cantering because the cobbles might be only just under the surface of the grass.

Last night I dreamt that I was woken by the noise of one of the pictures falling off the wall near the bed and breaking.
This morning when I woke I thought I'd better be careful in case there were pieces that I might tread on.
None of the pictures had fallen.

I was, initially, driving through the streets of a town which was a sort of Prestwich, though it varied a lot from the familiar one. Some sort of military festival was taking place; army vehicles took up half the street. In addition, the road was being resurfaced, so that I had to drive slowly on rough surfaces, avoiding the metal-works. As the car became impossible, I switched, seamlessly, to walking. I had my doggie with me and I think the destination was a park.

She was tiring, as she did in later days, so she was carried for a while. When I tired, she was folded into my pocket. It was not too far to the park and she was easy to compact. Just a few hundred yards to go and I decided to check on her. She was folded tight, head between her paws, like a head of chicory, hot and dead, beyond help. I wept.

A very upsetting way to wake up, blaming myself for the death of a beloved dog, in a town she never visited, nearly forty years after her real demise! :doh:

Last edited:
I have some vague dregs of a dream. I was in a ruined church, long abandoned, and there were some impressive monuments still intact, but there was also a tomb that was once spectacular that had now fallen into ruin, with carved slabs lying at awkward angles, and a metal plaque under long-accumulated detritus. There was some authority figure walking around with me (possibly a vicar) who was almost like a guide through the ruins and had some sought of responsibility for them, and a few other people that I knew well (possibly students? Although I don't tend to mix with students in real life). I recovered the metal plaque and mentioned that it should be saved from the ruins, and maybe we could restore the tomb, put the fallen slabs back in place etc. but the "authority figure" said it would be disrespectful and that I should leave it where it is. I think there was a lot more to this dream but it has all gone.

Last night I dreamed that I was very friendly with David Mitchell. He was, in the dream, gay, but for some reason I was trying to either seduce him or hug him. I do have to confess a tiny crush on Mr Mitchell in real life, but I like to think that I'd be a trifle more decorous, should we happen to meet.

I was also walking around a stately home type building with my children. We walked to the end of a corridor and stood by a door that opened off it. I said something to the children about it being a lot like Castle Howard, when a room guide (a man in a blue jumper) came up and started to explain how it was, in fact, nothing like Castle Howard, whilst I tried to explain what I had meant (something to do with rooms opening off one another).

I had a dream of a giant flying trilobite (about a foot long, so not a real monster). It was scary and amazing. I was attempting to search for on the internet (as if it was a real, known creature, which it obviously was NOT, but I'm pretty stupid in my dreams). A series of sirens going down my street woke me up.

A very upsetting way to wake up, blaming myself for the death of a beloved dog, in a town she never visited, nearly forty years after her real demise! :doh:
Yes, these type of dreams really do affect you even upon waking. Then you have to dispel the emotions that they bring up.

Why they are emotionally negative type dreams, I don't know. I don't think there are many dreams, if any, where I have experienced joy and happiness and woken with the same emotional charge.

My recent dreams of my husband disappearing and not knowing, thinking him dead (he is irl), and then him reappearing back in my life really disturb me. In my dreams, he comes back and resumes our old life. But I find that he has lived these years with someone else and instead of just telling me, he continues the facade that we are ok. He then is callous and mistreats me. That, and the betrayal leave me very sad and angry. When I wake, I have to tell myself that it never happened, that he never treated me like that and that he loved me.

I have mentally told myself to confront him in the dream and tell him he is dead in order to stop the dreams. The last two that I've had in the past two months I have told him to leave. Hopefully this will eventually dispel these dreams.

I had a lengthy dream last night set in a large secondary school and its grounds. Some teenage girl had invoked a rusalka, which in my dream was a large trollish humanoid with blueish skin and a froglike head. The rusalka was stalking the school and its grounds, picking off the kids one by one, although I don't recall seeing it actually take anybody. Lots of the dream was spent hiding in scrub.

The dream then moved on to me in a garden that was a blend of the gardens and parks of two previous homes, on the side of a steep hill. I and many other people were scrambling up the hillside to get a view of a full solar eclipse, but had to get to the hilltop to get a view between the trees. When we finally did, the eclipse was ruined by a laser lightshow that someone was pointing at the moon, oblitering the sky there with Canada-themed propaganda (!).

I know there is an eclipse happening in North America today(?) but I haven't been paying much attention because it won't be visible from southeast England.

Last edited:
Yes, these type of dreams really do affect you even upon waking. Then you have to dispel the emotions that they bring up.

Why they are emotionally negative type dreams, I don't know. I don't think there are many dreams, if any, where I have experienced joy and happiness and woken with the same emotional charge.

My recent dreams of my husband disappearing and not knowing, thinking him dead (he is irl), and then him reappearing back in my life really disturb me. In my dreams, he comes back and resumes our old life. But I find that he has lived these years with someone else and instead of just telling me, he continues the facade that we are ok. He then is callous and mistreats me. That, and the betrayal leave me very sad and angry. When I wake, I have to tell myself that it never happened, that he never treated me like that and that he loved me.

I have mentally told myself to confront him in the dream and tell him he is dead in order to stop the dreams. The last two that I've had in the past two months I have told him to leave. Hopefully this will eventually dispel these dreams.
I have dreams like that about my last ex husband (alive, as far as I know...) who left me suddenly. He is back and we are carrying on normal life and, at first I am glad he's back and continue as normal, but during the dream I get more and more angry and he is more and more unconcerned about how I feel. I often end up screaming at him and trying to hit him to get a reaction (I would NEVER do this in real life!) and he just dismisses me.

I wonder what happens in our brains to create these doppelgangers of loved ones? Why do we dream of them with such anger? I admit to having dreamed not just about past partners, but about friends with whom I am no longer in touch, in the same vein.

Quite an amazing dream last night. I was on a tourist visit to an amazing Gothic-style church - carved out of the limestone bedrock of a labyrinthine cave complex, well-lit but I don't remember how. All the stalactites and stalagmites had been refashioned into detailed sculpture of the kind you find in elaborate medieval cathedrals, altars were carved from the rock in exquisite detail etc. etc. There were lots of tourists wandering about and some tour guides.

I have dreams like that about my last ex husband (alive, as far as I know...) who left me suddenly. He is back and we are carrying on normal life and, at first I am glad he's back and continue as normal, but during the dream I get more and more angry and he is more and more unconcerned about how I feel. I often end up screaming at him and trying to hit him to get a reaction (I would NEVER do this in real life!) and he just dismisses me.

I wonder what happens in our brains to create these doppelgangers of loved ones? Why do we dream of them with such anger? I admit to having dreamed not just about past partners, but about friends with whom I am no longer in touch, in the same vein.
Our dreams are about ourselves. Exes might represent an aspect of us.

One of my exes pops up in dreams to remind me of how much I put up with from him for the sake of security and especially other people.

This morning my dream was me starting my seasonal beach cleaning job again (being doing it for the past 3 years in real life) with some strangers and werid things you get in most dreams and then work up and had a text saying one of the beach staff I worked with had died on Sunday gone :(

Celebrities a-go-go this last week! In one, Melvyn Hayes had taken over the pub in which I spent a lot of time in my youth, and he was my new best friend. We had great chats, Melvyn and me, until he showed me his comic collection, at which point we inexplicably fell out.

In the other, I was in my first year at university (an imagined university, not one that I have actually attended) and was on my way to the Union. I bumped into ex-Doctor Who Matt Smith, who was hiding round a corner and crying because he was lost. I hung around with him for a bit, before he found the lecture hall he was looking for. He was very pleasant, as it goes.

Quite an amazing dream last night. I was on a tourist visit to an amazing Gothic-style church - carved out of the limestone bedrock of a labyrinthine cave complex, well-lit but I don't remember how. All the stalactites and stalagmites had been refashioned into detailed sculpture of the kind you find in elaborate medieval cathedrals, altars were carved from the rock in exquisite detail etc. etc. There were lots of tourists wandering about and some tour guides.
There's a place in Turkey that fits that description. I think that's where it is.

I had the most incredibly vivid convoluted dream this morning. It was a bit like what I imagine an ‘escape room’ experience to be. It’s slipping away now but this is a brief sketch from what I can remember.

I was at a hotel & leaving to drive home or somewhere. Whilst there I was inveigled to drive to a remote-ish building where there were others gathered, having had a similar invitation. None of us knew why. A man turned up & the vibe was it was a sort of mystery challenge. We could walk away if we wanted but no-one did because of the intrigue.

We had to make our way after a train ride, through a dilapidated building with some low ceilings, crawling through pipes & other stuff.

Some way along the story two of us broke off to visit an apartment to pick up a clue which involved a password which I think was ‘awful’.

Back at the building after getting through it there was another group who’d completed it who wouldn’t tell us what it was about but one of them revealed a small solid ball cut in half he’d been given. WTF.

Two hooded men turned up eventually with some sort of reveal & took off their hoods. At that point I woke up so I never found out what it was about!

It was so vivid & apparently coherent despite the nonsense & played out like a film thriller.

Dreamed I was at Holyhead in north Wales. For some reason crowds were trying to leave the place by scrambling down the banks to the railway and walking along the tracks.
This would normally be dangerous but I knew no trains were running because of some emergency.

Some were train passengers who'd overshot their stations and needed to go further back along the line.
Others had arrived on the ferry from Dublin, which the port and railway station of Holyhead serves. They'd expect to take the train to London Euston.

At some point I needed to decide how I would be getting home from there without the train. Woke up with the idea of walking the tracks with the others and starting the climb down to the railway.

This might come from WhatsApp discussions with workmates about security at work.

I was somewhere very snowy. I came upon a huge snow wall that was oddly squared and had a corner. I could hear voices on the other side and they were threatening someone. I thought my dream might turn nightmarish, but it didn’t.

Somehow two people came through the wall. They were a man and woman and were Russian. Though they didn’t have any pursuers, I assumed that they were leaving Russia. I then helped them relocate to Canada. I could not figure out if they were in hiding, or had received Canadian citizenship.

The dream was short, but time passed. They lived in my community and we were good friends. Then the scene was of several others, including them, in a lower apartment and small windows look out. The windows were up higher on the wall and looked out onto a window well with only a view of people’s feet passing by on the sidewalk. There was a weird shadow and I got the impression that the couple were in danger. They were warned.

Something happens and next scene is me reading a handwritten note listing only “a book, change of clothes”. I understand that they are now having to leave and this is what they need to take with them. I feel sad as I know that I probably never see them again and they were good friends.

Another note is handed to me and it has someone’s name on it and the message is that this is the only thing this person can do to help. It then has a phone number. I realize that the number is the contact for the couple. They will make arrangements to go wherever that person is. Their next hiding place.

My grannie, dead for half a century, nearly, came back to clean out a small bathroom or toilet, which was riddled with the black mould.

It was, grudgingly, conceded that she had done a fairly good job, 'considering' (that she was dead, presumably).

We smugly agreed that it would need doing again properly.

I'm not sure what had brought this on. She had not been on my mind at all, though I had learned yesterday of the death of an elderly neighbour. A funeral looms. :actw:

After talking about dreaming about my ex husband, I dreamed of him again last night.

We were living in my old house, cuddled up together in bed. I turned to him and told him he had to go, I had had enough of this and he needed to leave. I was very calm, unlike my usual dreams of him where I am furiously angry, I just sat on the edge of the bed while he emptied the contents of the bedside cabinet drawer and searched through for his things. I remember saying to him, very neutrally, 'remember, you will be old too one day.' (That husband was quite a few years younger than me).

The dream was very calm and I woke up thinking 'that's it, I've got rid of him now' and half-recollecting @escargot's post above, saying that exes were a reflection of ourselves, and thinking that I'd now reached a place of calm acceptance with that particular exes behaviour.

However, the oddest thing was that I couldn't remember the layout of my current bedroom. I was still half in the dream, so I was trying to overlay the bedroom I am in now, with the old bedroom. Half of me knew where the window ought to be and half of me was trying to fit this room on the other room. I decided to get up for a wee and had to grope for the wall to find the door. Of course, as soon as I touched the wall I knew where I was and found my way out. It was a VERY dark night last night, there are no street lights and my window was as dark as the walls, so the room was in complete darkness, in my defence. But it did feel strange, trying to find my way out.

This might come from WhatsApp discussions with workmates about security at work.
Quoting myself'ere but please bear with me.

One of the dangers of working with the public is that one of them might start attacking others and everyone would be at risk. We staff talk anxiously about this possibility. I'm sure certain other posters have the same misgivings.

So while I'm not saying I foresaw the Sydney stabbings in my dream, it's the sort of emergency I'm expecting to happen sooner or later in a situation that would affect people I know.

My protective subconscious didn't show me the exact nature of the disaster that sent crowds of people resignedly setting off in the same direction. I only saw the aftermath. This is how dreams work.

After talking about dreaming about my ex husband, I dreamed of him again last night.

We were living in my old house, cuddled up together in bed. I turned to him and told him he had to go, I had had enough of this and he needed to leave. I was very calm, unlike my usual dreams of him where I am furiously angry, I just sat on the edge of the bed while he emptied the contents of the bedside cabinet drawer and searched through for his things. I remember saying to him, very neutrally, 'remember, you will be old too one day.' (That husband was quite a few years younger than me).

The dream was very calm and I woke up thinking 'that's it, I've got rid of him now'
:cheer:

Now you've got ME dreaming about an ex. :mad:

Dreamed I was at the local hospital for some Outpatient appointment and walked past several waiting areas with rows of seats.

On the far end of one row I spotted the ex much as I remember him, but wearing a huge badge that implied he was now a member of my work trade union.

I did a double take, walked on, stopped, frowned and walked backwards to where I could see him again, just to make sure.

Yup, it was indeed he, and I wondered why he was wearing the badge. Wasn't interested in what condition he had as long as it was painful and hopefully debilitating.

He must have seen me too especially as I went back but he didn't react, just stared forwards the whole time. As if he'd died, sitting there with his eyes open.

Haven't actually seen this ex for nearly 20 years because I scare him. Maybe in the dream he was ignoring me and hoping I'd go away. Playing dead, like with a brown bear. :chuckle:

I can normally decode a dream. Perhaps this one is about how we're all getting older and even my own robust good health is deteriorating, and one of us two will die first. It better not be me.

Now you've got ME dreaming about an ex. :mad:

Dreamed I was at the local hospital for some Outpatient appointment and walked past several waiting areas with rows of seats.

On the far end of one row I spotted the ex much as I remember him, but wearing a huge badge that implied he was now a member of my work trade union.

I did a double take, walked on, stopped, frowned and walked backwards to where I could see him again, just to make sure.

Yup, it was indeed he, and I wondered why he was wearing the badge. Wasn't interested in what condition he had as long as it was painful and hopefully debilitating.

He must have seen me too especially as I went back but he didn't react, just stared forwards the whole time. As if he'd died, sitting there with his eyes open.

Haven't actually seen this ex for nearly 20 years because I scare him. Maybe in the dream he was ignoring me and hoping I'd go away. Playing dead, like with a brown bear. :chuckle:

I can normally decode a dream. Perhaps this one is about how we're all getting older and even my own robust good health is deteriorating, and one of us two will die first. It better not be me.
Maybe he has scary dreams of you:bthumbup:

Back