• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

What Did You Dream Of Last Night?

Last night's dreams are fading already but one sequence started with a typical anxiety scenario: I was on my way to a new job which was two hour's drive away. I was out in the countryside down some narrow winding lanes when I stopped to talk to an older woman on a bicycle. She was dressed in a dark hooded garment but I recognized her as someone I had worked with ten years before. This recognition took place at the level of the dream only - I have no idea who she was!

Despite my work appointment, I agreed to go back to her farmhouse for a cup of tea. I was keen to use the bathroom but when I got there, the need had passed and I washed my hands at a peculiar contraption which was up a little stepladder. Descending the steps, I stood my a lower unit which looked like a shower. It was indeed a shower, of sorts, but the head of the shower pointed out of the wall and gave me an unwanted drenching. At this point, I remembered my job . . . :eek:

It was my birthday (it isn't) and my main present were two tickets to see Christina Hendricks and Kristen Stewart perform their acoustic guitar folk act. However, along with those was a passport, because the show was in Finland, and worse than that I would have to stay in a tent because it was at a festival. I was trying to think of a way to politely decline a present that obviously cost quite a bit.

I was living in a seaside resort but not in anything so ordinary as a house; I was resident in a single-storey, art-deco, sea-front building, which functioned as a hotel but looked like an amusement arcade. My dream-self was somewhat divided on the desirability of this living arrangement. For a while, I seemed to be engaged in an investigation of a neighbouring building, which had some obscure official function but also seemed to be the centre for some equally obscure vice.

At this point, I became aware of women with banners or sandwich-boards. These were divided into two columns, each headed by a picture of a celebrity. This was The Game: on the surface, it was an invitation to place some small bet. There was a lot of small text underneath each image, however, suggesting the Game was not so easy as it looked.

An invisible informant warned me that these women - identified as migrants, but speaking only English - were dangerous and The Game was really just a cover for some unspecified depravity. I retreated to the foyer of my hotel, where I was approached by a young man with a letter, which he wanted me to translate. As he, I and the letter were all English, I found this difficult.

It dawned on me that the letter was actually in two columns and was another form of The Game, lacking only the pictures of celebrities. I was reading a strange text about holidaymakers and celibacy. I started to try to explain the concept of celibacy to the young man but he just smiled in a disconcerting way.

Before I could be disconcerted further by his game, I was rudely awoken by my vile neighbours enjoying a bathroom-row at 6.30 am. This was not in English. :eek::eek::eek:

Had an interesting realization this AM. Well, interesting to me, anyway.

I've often dreamed of my nasty old haunted apartment. Despite having moved out many years ago, the wretched hovel has appeared in dreams over and over. Sometimes I'm living back there, sometimes it's a hidden part of another house or something of that sort. Whatever guise it comes in, it's never a welcome sight. I've never known why it kept coming back to haunt me, but wished it would just go the hell away.

Last night, I dreamed I was back there again, but this time even worse, my OH and youngest child were there, too. It was dark and cold, and we were sleeping cramped up in the daybed I used to have there. The sinister landlord came by to tell us that due to the ramshackle conditions, he was reducing our rent (definitely out of character for him, ha!) I noticed that my youngest had drawn numbers and letters all over the walls, and while I was upset (how did I fall off in my parenting so badly as to allow this?!) it hardly detracted from the room's appearance. :p.

Then it became scary, because while the others were sleeping, I hear a noise from the living room and know that someone has broken in. I wake my OH, and tell him about it, but he says, don't worry, it's nothing. I try to remind him that no, really, this place isn't safe, but can't get a response. I get so scared at that point, I wake up.

After I'd woken, it was immediately clear what had brought on this dream. Last night I'd had a talk with one of my older sons, who admitted to feeling depressed and hopeless about his future. Maybe it's typical young adult angst over college, etc. and it will pass, but I can't help feeling concerned since depression has wrecked chunks of my own life and I've always hoped my kids wouldn't have to deal with the same thing.

That's when I realized why that blasted apartment keeps showing up in my dreams. It symbolizes depression! Stunning that I hadn't realized it before, but it really was hard to get at. Something about my other family members being there in the dream and the convo the night before finally made the link.

It's a relief to have solved that mystery. Maybe now that place can be exorcized from my brain at last.

A couple of musical dreams

1) In the aftermath of battle I was chopping the elbows off corpses with an axe. These were to be collected in sacks and used to enumerate the dead. In the background, Paul McCartney's song My Love started playing. I actually rather like this song, I thought to myself as I hacked away.

2) I went to a gig by 60s band Love. I was puzzled to see the audience consisted entirely of young asian women wearing bright leotards of many colours. They were performing synchronised aerobics while wearing fixed smiles on their faces. Was it some kind of cult, I wondered?

Spent 15 of the last 24 hours sleeping after a massive dizzy spell at work sent my to the GP then home. I figure I've cogitated over about 6 to 8 different dream scenarios through that lot, but can't recall a single one to mind now. Just a vague fuzzy version of No Country For Old Men landscapes in reverb.

Er...my lovely Portuguese colleague.

It was totally unrepeatable and totally delicious.

:)

I had a dream on Monday night I won £250,000 on the lottery. So I bought a ticket for euro millions as soon as I got up Tuesday. This morning there was an email saying there is important news about my ticket. I won!! Only there appears to be three 0's missing from the end of the amount I won. £2.50!!!!!

I dreamt of stars, but there were too many of them. It was all very disconcerting, with 2 or 3 Ploughs, all pointing different ways. The Pole star was surrounded by dense patches of the Milky Way. Odd.

As I age, I've noticed my dreams are increasingly infested with items or themes from the past day's 'waking life' experience.

Yesterday, within the 'Real World (tm)', a work colleague pointed out one of those plastic links / ties (the kind used to affix tags onto new clothing) dangling off my shirt collar. Mildly embarrassed, I pleaded 'senior oversight' and removed it.

My last dream overnight was a run-of-the-mill surreal rambling-about-town melange of disconnected vignettes. It was a cold day, and I was wearing a coat and cap.

Early in the dream I raised my hand (perhaps to gesture or open a door ... ), and there was a sales tag hanging from my sleeve. I removed it.

As the dream progressed, I repeatedly discovered and removed a slowly propagating population of tags / product flyers / etc. on my apparel every time I surveyed myself (or saw my reflection).

Eventually I entered a store(?), removed my Peruvian-style knit cap (and the cardboard tag I'd come to expect ... ), and stuffed it into my parka pocket.

After conversing with someone inside the shop, I said my goodbyes and turned for the door. When I pulled my knit cap from my parka pocket, it was so heavily festooned with tags / flyers / mini-brochures you could hardly tell there was a cap at the center of a veritable cheerleader's shaker pom of paper / cardboard.

I (as my first-person-dreamer self ... ) cursed, punched the dream eject button, and bailed out (woke up) at that point ...

As I age, I've noticed my dreams are increasingly infested with items or themes from the past day's 'waking life' experience.

*Yesterday in the Real World (tm), I had been watching some videos on youtube showing huge waves crashing onto the decks of ships. There are quite a few of them.*

In the Dream World I had been put in charge of a seaside restaurant, seafood featuring a lot on the menu but the style of cuisine I never learned. At least one member of staff was Chinese. I remember walking along the shops on the seafront admiring my clothes reflected in the windows. I was wearing a brown jacket, white shirt and jeans but the overall effect was spoiled by my scruffy grey trainers.

I entered the restaurant, the first part of which was a typical English pub bar with large windows facing the sea. It was moderately busy, mid afternoon and the sun was shining outside. Looking out towards the horizon I noticed a huge wave heading towards the shore. Unnaturally large, as it got closer it became obvious that it would engulf all of the buildings along the seafront. Nobody else in the bar seemed to notice, only me and I watched in horror as it did just that. I flinched and turned away as it hit the windows, submerging the entire building for a few seconds before it washed away again. As no-one else reacted, I inferred that this must be a common occurrence, the windows being reinforced in some way.

Commotion in the kitchen area sent me to investigate. Someone had ordered 'Night Crawler' from the menu and the Night Crawler wasn't happy about it. I looked through a small window in a door and saw a room with many tanks full of murky green water, each tank holding a different sea creature which were the main ingredients in the dishes we served. Several staff members were gathered around one tank, the Night Crawler's, struggling to keep it contained.

I consulted an encyclopaedia to find out what a Night Crawler might be. There was a quite primitive drawing of a four-legged animal with a cube-shaped head. Armed with this knowledge, I entered the tank-room.
The staff all jumped back and I was confronted with a very small pig, covered in bits of seaweed. It did have a cube-shaped snout but apart from that was perfectly normal and not dangerous in any way, despite the reactions of the staff.
It playfully danced around a little before I was able to bring it under control by smacking it's bottom with the flat edge of a cleaver.

Last night's dream had me watching an episode of Countdown recorded (I don't watch Countdown) and they'd turned it into a quiz show with jokey questions. The audience were really not enjoying the change. Big, black, echoey studio, too.

A really horrible one, though it has faded a lot since the early hours.

There was a preface to the main action in the form of a pedestrian collision. A mobile phone, perhaps mine, perhaps the other party's was dropped on the pavement and the battery came out. Ill feelings were brewing. I had offended some code.

The bulk of the dream was a prolonged and detailed sequence where the house I lived in - nothing like my own* - was besieged by hostile and organized forces. There was a stand-off in which chalk-marks were made on the front of my house. Then a nasty festival atmosphere set in. Word came that people were coming from miles around to join in the fun. Their antics were celebratory: dancing, kids on little scooters, even opportunistic sideshows and stalls. The whole thing was meant to look innocent and there was no explicit violence, merely the feeling that it would begin when they were good and ready. [Shades of "The Wild One?" - well Brando had been in the news on account of those Last Tango accusations.]

*Apart from routine persecution mania, the trigger for the dream may have been a business I witnessed on my morning commute. The nail-bar and beauty-salon consisted of a conservatory-type reception area bolted onto a four-square cottage. I had wondered about the security of business-premises consisting of so much glass; I decided the main fortification must begin with the stone building, the rest merely an elaborate porch. The architecture of the house I occupied in the dream owed something to this plan with the addition, I think of security-blinds, as if trouble was expected. :eek:

Not last night, but lunchtime in front of the TV; I briefly dozed off (as I often do):

A microsleep dream in which someone had filled my back pockets with peas, and anytime I moved I was leaving a trail of peas behind me!

Lord knows what triggered that - the last time I ate peas was two days ago!

I dreamt of my dog, which died 22 years ago. It's been appearing in my dreams a few times int eh last several months and never - as far as I've ever noted - before that. My recently deceased brother was also in the dream. I wish I could make something fortean and eerie out of that fact but the dead in my dreams never reference the fact, they appear to be just stock characters. Anyway in the dream he opens the front door and lets the dog out and I go mad, it'll escape..I rush out and get it back just in time..but then, almost with the guilty sigh of someone whose been chastised for neglect I say ok, ok, I'll take it for a walk. I fetch a lead from the kitchen and find, to my surprise but gratitude, its a kind of chest harness rather than one for its neck whcih will choke it. I try to put it on the dog, but even before we get out of the house and for a good distance after its shitting all over the place.

Work that one out Dr Freud.

Actually as I'm typing this the probable inspiration for the dream plot just occurred to me. In a documentary I watched yesterday about paranormal encounters someone recounted a spirit of an old lady which kept letting the dog and cat out of the house, until they chastised it saying opening the back door to let them out was fine, but not the front door.

I dreamt of stars, but there were too many of them. It was all very disconcerting, with 2 or 3 Ploughs, all pointing different ways. The Pole star was surrounded by dense patches of the Milky Way. Odd.

Oh, I used to have dreams like this. They were terrifying. One I recall had to do with a constellation called The Bed Of Adonis that would appear only once every 500 years. Scared to go out at night for a while after that. When I read nightfall by Issac Asimov years later it was a bit unsettling!

Last nights's dream was the song Eagle by Abba, note for note in the tiniest detail. Suspect it was inspired by @Ringo's admission that he is not, indeed, Swedish. :p

I was involved in filming a Christmas advert for a department store.

The advert was supposed to culminate with a little girl pointing up at the stars, a look of happy wonder on her face. Unfortunately she actually looked really sulky and miserable.

Patrick Stewart was brought in to take over her role, dressed in his Star Trek uniform. As he pointed skywards his head morphed into a green squid-like alien head.

"It's canon," someone told me. "He's been infested with a parasite."

Not last night, but lunchtime in front of the TV; I briefly dozed off (as I often do):

A microsleep dream in which someone had filled my back pockets with peas, and anytime I moved I was leaving a trail of peas behind me!

Lord knows what triggered that - the last time I ate peas was two days ago!
As long as you didn't pea yourself...

Fell asleep in front of one of the doco channels. In the dream my penis was becoming ossified and I had turned up at some weird retreat run by a shadowy organization who were looking for the descendants of the sun-god Ra who had, yes you guessed it, an ossified penis. I was just filling out the paperwork to get tested and then woke up.

Of course it was some Ancient Aliens guff on the tv.

Fell asleep in front of one of the doco channels. In the dream my penis was becoming ossified and I had turned up at some weird retreat run by a shadowy organization who were looking for the descendants of the sun-god Ra who had, yes you guessed it, an ossified penis. I was just filling out the paperwork to get tested and then woke up.

Of course it was some Ancient Aliens guff on the tv.
Maybe you'd read the recent news about humans being one of the few mammals without a penis bone?

I dreamt I went to sit in a chair in an office but I realised it was Rynner's new chair so I refrained.
I dreamt someone I used to know was Marty Mcfly and so was humming this song when I came down stairs because it's in the Back To The Future soundtrack .. and I just like it anyway ..

I dreamed I wrote a song. Something to do with the Moon. I pretty much finished it but when I woke up I could barely remember any of it.

Then I drifted back to sleep and dreamt I was trying to remember the song from my previous dream. I got most of it back then woke up again and promptly forgot it.

All rather frustrating.

I dreamed I wrote a song. Something to do with the Moon. I pretty much finished it but when I woke up I could barely remember any of it.

Then I drifted back to sleep and dreamt I was trying to remember the song from my previous dream. I got most of it back then woke up again and promptly forgot it.

All rather frustrating.
You were probably more susceptible than most to the recent Super Moon! Take care not to become a super looney!

I was apparently having minor surgery on my head, for which I'd need several anaesthetic injections into my scalp. Ooer, I thought, I've had this before and it'll hurt! It certainly did hurt and I woke up wincing.

A few years ago I did have such an operation, which I was remembering in the dream. Everything was the same except that it was Techy and not my excellent NHS surgeon carrying it out.

Glad I woke up! :eek:

I was looking at a photograph of the line-up for the recording of the single Do They Know It's Christmas?, specifically thinking about Rick Parfitt's recent death. I think that he and Francis Rossi were on that record, Status Quo were certainly involved with Live Aid anyway. I noticed Boy George on the photo and realised that he too was dead.

OK, so I didn't predict George Michael's death but was it a near miss? He was someone I would associate very strongly with the whole Live Aid thing, only not in this dream.

Back