• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

What Did You Dream Of Last Night?

Me again...

I was browsing through the CDs at a record shop, or possibly some sort of market. More or less at random, I picked one up, and it was an old Asia album that I'd not seen before - as far as I recall, it was called Ardua or something similar. I flipped it over to look at the track listing on the back, and the last song was called "Trump - The Coming Apocalypse". I remember turning to my companion and remarking how prescient this was, given that the album was made in 1984 and I happened to be looking at it in the week of the Donald's inauguration.

A couple of notes:

Until that dream, it had never occurred to me that Donald Trump's name sounded apocalyptic in a "last trump" kind of way.

Of course, there is no such Asia album as Ardua, though it would be good name for one, perhaps for their difficult second album. Just before Astra, maybe (little RAF joke there...).

Last night, I dreamt that I was going about my business while stark raving naked. :eek: Now, I know it's said that this is a common dream, but it's not one I've had before. It wasn't particularly embarrassing either, just puzzling. I kept thinking, it's not really like me to go around nude, I wonder where I picked up this habit? :p

Weeeell, ok then. Just so's you know, my favourite time to get skinny is mid-winter in the sunset way outback with a roaring campfire on hand. That said, we don't really do the 40f thing 'round here, so pace yourself. ;)

Dreamed that a neighbour, with whom I'm pally now and then, was asking me quite assertively why I hadn't gone to the Spiritualist church. I seemed to be in a reality where that's my usual Sunday evening diversion. (I've only ever gone there a handful of times, always when asked to accompany other people.)

I was a bit puzzled in the dream. How could I have missed something so important? Woke up with her angry face in my mind, thinking Wow, what did I miss?

Dreamed that I was making my bed, and when I woke up this morning, I found I had taken the pillow case off one of the pillows (I have three, one to sleep on, two to act as a headboard)

A weird one (by my standards, anyway!) In order not to miss the bus to work, I decided to have a shower at the bus stop, but missed the bus anyway, and walked home so that I could wait for the next bus there (half an hour between buses) - when I got home, I found several packages that had been left on my door step by the postman, including half a dozen FT's I'd ordered off eBay (I've not actually ordered anything off eBay).

Dreamed that I was making my bed, and when I woke up this morning, I found I had taken the pillow case off one of the pillows (I have three, one to sleep on, two to act as a headboard)

When my first child was just learning to walk she liked her father to hold her hands, stretched up over her head, and walk her around. In the early hours I woke up to him talking to her - 'Good girl, well done!' and dimly saw him walking round the room, bent over and reaching down.

I said 'Oh for goodness' sake, put her back to bed! She should be asleep!'

He stood up, sighed and threw the baby across the room onto our bed. :eek:

It was actually his pillow. He'd been sleepwalking. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
In a most perplexing but vivid dream-sequence the other night, I was motoring down to Kidderminster. Why? I have no connection with the place or memory of having been there! Symbolic name probably.

Yet in the dream it seemed familiar and the roads were pleasant, tree-lined lanes, hardly wide enough for two-lane traffic.

My destination was The Red Bull Inn, a very traditional place, guarded by miniature prehistoric long-necked monsters which pecked at my arms with their tiny-but-horrid beaks*.

When I arrived at the Inn - really a sort of school, I discovered I was expected to teach a subject I did not know to a class yet to arrive. I was warned they may be mean but meanwhile I could eat all the breakfast I could manage from a trough. Only I had to fight the prehistoric monsters for my share of it . . .

Typical day on supply really. :rofl:

*I had been watching Malick's Tree of Life that evening. This features a sequence of CGI monsters. My dream monsters were somewhat smaller but I think the undigested film was their source.

Last edited:
Ah, anxiety dreams! About all I have nowadays... :(

Whatever happened to my expectations of enjoying a peaceful and predictable old age?

Some nights my thoughts go round in circles, worrying about some trivia. Then, like today, I get up early and use the time for chores like doing my laundry. But my flat door squeaks and annoys the neighbours that early - which is one more thing to worry about! :(

rynner2 do you have any sort of oil you can put on the hinges? It might stop the squeaking.
Failing that what about some petroleum jelly?
I had a weird quick dream as I was falling asleep.
I was in a forest and riding some type of powerful animal bareback.
I don't know what it was as I woke back up as I tried to make out what it was as it wasn't a horse or a cow but very muscled and brown.

rynner2 do you have any sort of oil you can put on the hinges? It might stop the squeaking.
Failing that what about some petroleum jelly?
I had a weird quick dream as I was falling asleep.
I was in a forest and riding some type of powerful animal bareback.
I don't know what it was as I woke back up as I tried to make out what it was as it wasn't a horse or a cow but very muscled and brown.

Whatever happened to my expectations of enjoying a peaceful and predictable old age?

Some nights my thoughts go round in circles, worrying about some trivia. Then, like today, I get up early and use the time for chores like doing my laundry. But my flat door squeaks and annoys the neighbours that early - which is one more thing to worry about! :(

lets not link petroleum jelly and Rynner.

Rynner who cares what the neighbors think you are far more useful and important than them - door
squeak on!

Dreams of late have been unsettling, but jumbled and hard to describe. Last night's dream was more linear, but still nightmarish.

My brother, for some unknown reason, drove me to a place in Utah called the badlands. These were not like any badlands that actually exist in Utah, but were black sand (or asphalt?) hills covered in shards of broken mirror.

It seemed that many travelers ended up here, as a sort of last-ditch place from which they would either join up with others or be stuck forever. The ones who couldn't find a way out were left to clean up the endless slivers of glass with their bare hands until they grew old and died. It was a horrible, ugly place.

The people wishing to get out tended to search for a cult or commune to take them on, so people were waiting for these groups to pass though, when they would choose new members. A person who couldn't succeed within these groups would end up being sent back, so there was sense of desperation in the air.

Myself, I didn't want to wait around, or necessarily join one of these groups, not until I'd run out of options. I decided to explore the area instead. The area to the South seemed to be a line of bedraggled carnivals and flea markets, one after another. Every one I passed though, I had to pay an admission fee and was given a ticket. The carnival barkers would call out for me to play their game or ride their ride, but whenever I presented my ticket, they would say it was the wrong one, or expired, or some such thing.

The last carnival barker who refused me entry was the man I'd bought sushi from in real life yesterday. No idea why I dreamed of him like this, since he was perfectly nice.
:confused:

My last thought in the dream was that it might be best to join a commune after all, though I planned to go out and find one myself, not just hope for one to choose me.

Not quite sure what this dream meant, except that it was exhausting and more than a little hopeless.
I once dreamed of a similar sort of black sand/ash/asphalt/concrete landscape years ago, which was also pretty harrowing. That time it seemed to represent regrets, stagnation and bad fortune. This time? Dunno, but we did get a piece of bad news today, so could be it's warning of struggles ahead.

Really hope not, though.

ETA - just realized that always having the wrong or expired ticket might have to do with worries about the travel ban.

Last edited:
Dreams of late have been unsettling, but jumbled and hard to describe. Last night's dream was more linear, but still nightmarish.

My brother, for some unknown reason, drove me to a place in Utah called the badlands. These were not like any badlands that actually exist in Utah, but were black sand (or asphalt?) hills covered in shards of broken mirror.

It seemed that many travelers ended up here, as a sort of last-ditch place from which they would either join up with others or be stuck forever. The ones who couldn't find a way out were left to clean up the endless slivers of glass with their bare hands until they grew old and died. It was a horrible, ugly place.
Your dream reminded me of a story that's still current in the news, so perhaps your subconscious picked up on some TV footage, etc...

A story from Last year:
Beauty companies and the struggle to source child labour-free mica
Nearly a decade after child labour in mica mining came to light, the cosmetic industry’s progress on cleaning up its supply chain for the glittery mineral has been slow and tricky
Peter Bengtsen and Laura Paddison
Thursday 28 July 2016 11.21 BST

https://www.theguardian.com/sustain...nies-mica-child-labour-beauty-industry-india-

There has been TV coverage on this recently in UK.

Washing up liquid makes an excellent although short term only substitute for creaky squeaky door hinges Rynn ... one less thing to worry about mate .. I've used washing up liquid on hinges at quite a few work places so give it a go ..

Washing up liquid makes an excellent although short term only substitute for creaky squeaky door hinges Rynn ... one less thing to worry about mate .. I've used washing up liquid on hinges at quite a few work places so give it a go ..
It's not the hinges that squeak, it's the door closing mechanism. I may have to get the council to fix it, or change it.

Rynner , I often think you could maybe do with taking mild anti-depressants.
Nobody likes the idea of taking that sort of thing, but my own mother ended up taking a low dose of something prescribed by her doctor, and it made her life so much less anxious and more bearable

A dab of washing up liquid on the hinges will quiet a squeaky door for a while.

Your dream reminded me of a story that's still current in the news, so perhaps your subconscious picked up on some TV footage, etc...

A story from Last year:
Beauty companies and the struggle to source child labour-free mica
Nearly a decade after child labour in mica mining came to light, the cosmetic industry’s progress on cleaning up its supply chain for the glittery mineral has been slow and tricky
Peter Bengtsen and Laura Paddison
Thursday 28 July 2016 11.21 BST

https://www.theguardian.com/sustain...nies-mica-child-labour-beauty-industry-india-

There has been TV coverage on this recently in UK.

Huh. I was not consciously aware of that story, but there are certainly similarities. :eek:

Haven't eaten meat in decades but last night I dreamed I was greedily grilling and eating huge pork steaks, 6-8 at time.

I was grabbing them off the grill pan so fast that some were still red inside. I thought, hmmm, here comes food poisoning! but it didn't stop me.

Haven't eaten meat in decades but last night I dreamed I was greedily grilling and eating huge pork steaks, 6-8 at time.

I was grabbing them off the grill pan so fast that some were still red inside. I thought, hmmm, here comes food poisoning! but it didn't stop me.
Dream food doesn't poison you. :cool:

I never dream I'm eating meat -I suppose I've been veggie for too long (60 years) for it even to cross my mind.
But I occasionally dream I'm smoking a cigarette (I gave up about 25 years ago) and there's always a touch of guilt/ confusion when I realise what I'm doing.

I never dream I'm eating meat -I suppose I've been veggie for too long (60 years) for it even to cross my mind.
But I occasionally dream I'm smoking a cigarette (I gave up about 25 years ago) and there's always a touch of guilt/ confusion when I realise what I'm doing.

I've mentioned before having smoking dreams but for some reason it's always cigars, something I rarely smoked. Probably once or twice.
I wonder if smokers dream they're smoking, or if it's just ex-smokers.

... I wonder if smokers dream they're smoking, or if it's just ex-smokers.

Interesting question ... I'm a smoker, and I don't recall ever craving, holding, lighting, or smoking anything (cigarette, cigar, pipe ... ) in a dream. Back in the 1980's I invested a lot of effort in my dream life (lucid exercises, dream logging, etc.). One of the surprising lessons I learned was that my dreams never seemed to include my most habitual / routine waking behaviors. I can recall food and / or drink occurring as objects present in a scene or objects of concern / consideration, but I don't recall ever eating or drinking in a dream. These habits' absence was notable enough that I regularly commented about it at the time.

This absence makes more sense to me now than it did back when. More recent studies tend to suggest dreaming is a side-effect of memory consolidation during sleep. One's most routine / habitual actions are presumably the pieces least in need of being absorbed into the overall puzzle the hippocampus is updating each night.

Heck of a dream last night. Weird, but not in a random way. Meaningfully weird, though what the meaning is, I'm not quite sure yet.

First, I was laying out tarot cards, but in an unfamiliar pattern. Like this:
dream tarot.jpg
It was a reading for events in the "month of Jupiter" (whatever that might be.) In the dream, the placement of the cards was in a very specific order, but in waking life, I wouldn't even be sure how to read this. The individual cards are lost to memory, but the meaning was "a great upheaval, resulting in a greater good."

After this, I'm travelling to see one of my cousins in a big city (Houston, perhaps). I'd been in aviation school, studying to be a commercial pilot (o_O) and I'm taking a break for this visit. I have with me a wild cat for some unknown reason. It appeared to be a type of lynx, but with a long tail, and solid orange in color. I don't think it was a pet, but I had to look after it, at any rate.

I arrive at the apartment complex where my cousin lives (in the dream, I mean - she lives in neither an apartment nor Houston IRL). My cousin says she needs to run some errands, but she's very tired. She says we can take her car, but would I mind driving?

She goes to get her car which is, strangely, a black '68 Dodge Charger. While it might be said my cousin has a strong personality, it's really hard to imagine her driving a muscle car. :eek: Also, I know zilch about cars in real life, so I'm shocked I was able to accurately conjure up a '68 Charger in my sleep!

In the dream I say, yes, I'll drive, but then remember I have to deal with the wild cat I've brought along. I end up sitting with it in the back seat instead. The cat is on a leash, and I expect it to be upset and aggressive, but it's surprisingly docile instead.

The last thing I remember is we're driving up a hill, heading toward the skyscrapers. There's a feeling that something important has happened in the political landscape. Cousin offers up some choice words about a certain political figure, and says "looks like that (expletive deleted) ended up doing us a favor, even though he never intended it."

Loads of symbolism to work though in this one!

Back