• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

What Did You Dream Of Last Night?

Last night I dreamt I had a white motor scooter .. somehow, me and someone I didn't recognise (although I felt he was a friend of mine) arrived at an old fashioned looking place that was apparently in London .. I pushed my scooter into an alleyway up to an open doorway of a blue door'd flat, a couple of chav looking lads were standing outside having a smoke but they seemed friendly so we were both invited inside .. I lent my scooter against some mountain bikes and we went upstairs .. the place was a bit tired but it was obviously being looked after and was a lot bigger on the inside than I'd imagined.

I wandered around a bit and bumped into various 18 looking year old types through a long corridor, a ginger haired girl was huddled into a corner although she didn't seem to be in any distress, I spotted weird cool decorations sporadically, each room became more and more exciting to explore. The last room had about twenty of these people inside .. the room was huge and one lad was grinning and had something tribal painted on his right cheek.

When i got back downstairs, my scooter had been stolen .. I stood outside for a bit and chatted with my friend then went back in determined to search the whole place which I did. No one gave me any grief. Then my friend reminded me of a large table that had been carried out with a larger sheet draped over it and told me "They put your scooter in there, that's how they do it" ..

I dreamt I was watching the climax of the new Alien film, where Katherine Waterston was running along a line of gunpowder that had been lit behind her instead of running off to the left or right to avoid it. She got blown up. I haven't seen the film, but I hope I haven't spoiled it for myself.

Had a dream last night about a prolific serial killer who was toying with me by torturing and violently killing everyone associated with me.

In the dream, I recalled that I had dreamed Act I already, this was Act II, and presumably there will be an Act III where I go full-on vigilante on 'im.

It's rare that I have actual nightmares, but this is one of them. Feel like I didn't get a wink of sleep.

EDIT: And I woke up with the song "Jimmy Olsen's Blues" by The Spin Doctors stuck in my head. WTF?

I had quite a nice dream where I was chatting in a kitchen to a nice lady, which doesn't happen often in real life. My subconscious was letting me off the hook from recent terrorism anxiety dreams.

Ok, bit of an epic last night, I was discussing Mad Max movies with Tom Hardy, only my favourite I was telling him about is non-existent in retrospect, then we were in the desert in actual Mad Max fiction, I was in a souped up car fighting off barbarians, only I can't drive so was just sitting there like a lemon. Tom had wandered off. I took refuge under a building while I tried to type a password into a computer that was there in the dust, but was interrupted by a fierce dog which tried to get through the mesh, so I stuck a toothbrush in its ear which calmed it down.

Less specific than recently, but my subconscious is still indicating I'll be blown up when I go to vote tomorrow (there was a big explosion in the dream too).

...interrupted by a fierce dog which tried to get through the mesh, so I stuck a toothbrush in its ear which calmed it down.
Yeah, that always works.

Less specific than recently, but my subconscious is still indicating I'll be blown up when I go to vote tomorrow (there was a big explosion in the dream too).

No, you'll be killed by an armed security guard when his bullets ricochet... :evil:

I'll be able to joke about the polling once it's over and everyone's safe. The news is doing nothing for my paranoia this year... as seen (by me) in my weird dreams.

I dreamt last night that my I, my wife and our two kids were living in a flat in London. (We actually live in Stockholm.) We were on the top floor of a building which was about 6 or 7 storeys high. It was late at night as it was dark outside and I could see over the rooftops of the other buildings, all the way to the central London skyline. Lights were shining, red aircraft warning lights were visible on building and cranes and I could see The Shard and Canary Wharf.

My wife and I were having a mild argument about something (I don't know what but even in the dream we both knew it was half-hearted and over something which neither of use really cared about). My wife had her back to the window and I was looking straight at her. Suddenly over her shoulder, I saw an aeroplane nose diving towards the ground. It was a medium sized airliner (737) and it smashed into the ground about two streets away from us. There was a huge fire ball and all of our windows were blown out. There were showers of sparks and loads of thick, black oily smoke belched up into the sky. When the smoke cleared a little I could see a tower block of flats on fire. It was just where the plane had crashed. The fire quickly spread to the street and flats directly opposite us on the other side of the road.

I told my wife to wake the kids up and get them dressed in case we needed to evacuate. I think I climbed out of a window and up some sort of fire escape ladder but somehow managed to get all the way onto the roof. From there I climbed up onto a brick chimney stack and looked out over London. A few bricks were loose and I was worried that they would give way. (Edit: I think that bit came from a vid that Yith posted on this site about a guy unicycling around the top of a brick chimney stack, A few bricks were loose there.)

The tower block was well ablaze as were the streets around it. I couldn't see any people and there were no sirens or blue lights. I remember "feeling" the heat and I could see flames licking out of broken windows but it seemed to be staying concentrated around the crash site. I felt confident in that it wouldn't spread over to us.

Next thing I knew I was back in the flat and telling the kids to go back to bed. My wife was watching everything from the hole in the wall where our living room window used to be. And I think I woke up or the dream changed because that's all I remember.

------
I got up this morning at 07.00 Swedish time (06.00 UK) and didn't remember this dream until just after 08.00. And then it was because were at our daughters end of year party at her school. We all were standing in the schoolyard watching the kids sing and we couldn't see a thing. A few parents had climbed up a set of metal fire escape stairs to get a better look and that triggered my memory of trying to get up on to the roof. I told my wife all about the dream and jokingly said "I hope it wasn't a vision." When we got home after 10.00am I checked the BBC news app on my phone and read about the tower block fire in London. There was no plane involved but it still gave me a shudder.

Last edited:
Talk of "oily smoke" brought to mind a nasty dream I had earlier this week.

I was in a school building but there were no children there; it seemed to be some kind of training-day for adults. Lots of us were milling around. It was set in some fine, rolling countryside which did not correspond to any place I know.

It was the sight of a plume of black, oily smoke on the horizon which seemed to fix the locality as Wales. It was a fire at a coal-pit, we gathered or were told. What followed was illogical but very much in the style of Aberfan: the fire triggered an avalanche. It seemed quite small at first but the rocks seemed to be rising from the earth to engulf the school. We ran onto a terrace where we stood immobile and waited for the end.

It's a few weeks since I read the FT piece about the Aberfan tragedy so I don't know what triggered it. School settings are quite routine for my anxiety dreams but they don't normally hinge on disaster-scenarios!

The fire element was too minor to have prefigured today's tragedy.

Last edited:
I dreamt of fire in a tower last night too. More of a strange synchronicity than pure precognition though.

In my dream I was trapped in a burning building, which was dark and narrow, very claustrophobic. There was an aperture of light at one end. Every so often a figure would appear there and then slide out of view, falling down out of vision. There wasn't really any sound that I can remember - more a rushing as when you're underwater. Then in another part of the dream (I don't remember how one section linked to the other) I was down below the fire on a street. I don't remember much about this bit, only something about having to get somewhere on time which I think segued into another, unconnected narrative.

Anyway, the reason I say that the dream is explicable though still uncanny is that before I went to sleep I was reading the historical novel 'The Museam of Extraordinary Things' by Alice Hoffman. In the novel the last thing I read before sleeping was a vivid account of the Triangle Shirtwaist Factory disaster, which happened in New York, in 1911 (this was a real event, fictionalised in the story).

I read about a multi story building, in which a fire spread rapidly. People on the upper floors could not escape, and the fire brigade couldn't reach them. People called for help from the burning windows, and jumped to their deaths from the burning building. They were working class women and men (mostly women) who died because their place was work was unsafe.

This is something that happened over a hundred years ago. It lead to new safety laws and a greater sense that government as well as building owners had to take more responsibility. How can it be that it sounds so familiar?

I hope that the Grenfell tower fire is some kind of horrible freak accident that could not have been foreseen. But if it comes out that this could have been avoided, I struggle to see why we are still having the same conversations about corporate and governmental responsibility, in the wake of horrendous loss of life.

Anyway. I'm not sure I can finish the book now! It was a horrible thing to wake up to. And I can't get the combination of the novel's images and the survivors' testimonies, out of my head!

I just had a flashback to a horrible sequence in a dream I had in the early hours of yesterday.

It was part of a longer and fragmentary series, broken up by brief awakenings, sips of water etc. It was already light.

Some parts of the dream had been benign; I remember turning over, pleasantly drowsy to enjoy the next installment, as it were.

I was engaged in a friendly discussion with a young man who was explaining that we were distantly related. For some reason, this seemed important and even delightful.

We were on the pavement and a car was parked alongside. It was twilight or dark. The interior light was on in the car but the windows were opaque, perhaps steamed up. I knew that an older, married couple were in the car but I could not see them. I think they were also relatives, parents of someone close. These categories are as vague and shifting in dreams as they are to dementia patients.

Without warning, my new relation gave a roar of anger and launched himself at the car. Ordinary logic was suspended as he thrust his fist into the vehicle via the air-inlet under the windscreen. His whole body entered the car this strange way, though there was also the sound of breaking glass, as if he had gone though the windscreen itself.

There was no doubt about his murderous intentions. Blows inside the car were so violent that it rocked and moved several inches away from the kerb.

My hand rested a moment on the door handle then I shamefully sidled away to my own car, parked a few yards away. This was also illuminated from within. My initial goal seemed to be reach a phone within the car and summon help but the wisdom of getting into a car made me hesitate.

The sequence ended lamely with me dialling for help, instead, on my mobile phone.

It is hard to convey the full horror of this episode: the mood swing, the loud but obscure violence and the wimpish response. :eek::eek::eek:

I just had a flashback to a horrible sequence in a dream I had in the early hours of yesterday.

It was part of a longer and fragmentary series, broken up by brief awakenings, sips of water etc. It was already light.

Some parts of the dream had been benign; I remember turning over, pleasantly drowsy to enjoy the next installment, as it were.

I was engaged in a friendly discussion with a young man who was explaining that we were distantly related. For some reason, this seemed important and even delightful.

We were on the pavement and a car was parked alongside. It was twilight or dark. The interior light was on in the car but the windows were opaque, perhaps steamed up. I knew that an older, married couple were in the car but I could not see them. I think they were also relatives, parents of someone close. These categories are as vague and shifting in dreams as they are to dementia patients.

Without warning, my new relation gave a roar of anger and launched himself at the car. Ordinary logic was suspended as he thrust his fist into the vehicle via the air-inlet under the windscreen. His whole body entered the car this strange way, though there was also the sound of breaking glass, as if he had gone though the windscreen itself.

There was no doubt about his murderous intentions. Blows inside the car were so violent that it rocked and moved several inches away from the kerb.

My hand rested a moment on the door handle then I shamefully sidled away to my own car, parked a few yards away. This was also illuminated from within. My initial goal seemed to be reach a phone within the car and summon help but the wisdom of getting into a car made me hesitate.

The sequence ended lamely with me dialling for help, instead, on my mobile phone.

It is hard to convey the full horror of this episode: the mood swing, the loud but obscure violence and the wimpish response. :eek::eek::eek:
I wouldn't have got in that car either ! :eek: .. fuck that !

Pan's Labyrinth is showing over at the Alamo Drafthouse, and this must have inspired last night's dreams.
Both involved the Pale Man from the film.

In the first one, we were living in an apartment block where the Pale Man was stalking. I had a plan, ala the mad gasser, to spray chloroform throughout the building to knock him out. However, I was unsure how to do this without knocking myself out as well.

I could hear the Pale Man getting closer and closer, then I woke up with a fright. :eek:

After shivering for a while, I went back to sleep and dreamed of eating a watermelon. The watermelon was delicious, but too late I realized it had awakened the pale man. I could hear him shuffling and groaning as he came for me.

It was not a very restful night, to say the least. :creepy:

I walked thro some mist and ended up in the prehistoric period, but i saw roads there, man made tarmac roads, and i heard heavy machinery, i was stood on a hill and i could see them clearing a circle, I said to no one in particular that it was wrong, dinosaurs lived here, we had no right, then a big fecking T Rex appeared and chased me back thro the mist, and i was in a perfume shop run by Jason Stratham , he said he had any perfume that i wanted, i gave him the name of my fav one and he said he didnt have it, then a guy offered me one point four million to star in his new film

The clearing being created reminded me of Terra Nova, and being chased by the T Rex, well, that would be the fault of Night of the Demon and that bloody thing on the railway track

I dreamt Michael Keaton had been cast as The Joker in the new Batman movie, and thought that's great, he was so good at playing him before, he was actually in the dream, green hair, white skin, the lot, practicing the laugh. Then I woke up and thought, hang on, I'm getting mixed up here...

No idea what got into me last night, but I dreamed I was married to the Prince of Wales, who looked exactly like David Cameron. :eek:

The Queen did not approve of our marriage at all; she thought I was uncouth and tacky. Prince David Cameron didn't like me much either. He kept saying I wasn't as pretty as my sister. We ended up divorced.

As part of a settlement, the Royal family found a job for me at a Trump hotel as a hostess, where I lived in a dormitory full of other hostesses. Occasionally, The Donald would visit and give the ladies unwanted foot massages. This prospect filled us with fear and dread. None of us could bear the thought of Trump touching our feet. :cry:

The alarm woke me up and not a minute too soon, either!

No idea what got into me last night, but I dreamed I was married to the Prince of Wales, who looked exactly like David Cameron. :eek:

The Queen did not approve of our marriage at all; she thought I was uncouth and tacky. Prince David Cameron didn't like me much either. He kept saying I wasn't as pretty as my sister. We ended up divorced.

As part of a settlement, the Royal family found a job for me at a Trump hotel as a hostess, where I lived in a dormitory full of other hostesses. Occasionally, The Donald would visit and give the ladies unwanted foot massages. This prospect filled us with fear and dread. None of us could bear the thought of Trump touching our feet. :cry:

The alarm woke me up and not a minute too soon, either!

Mad as a bag of monkeys. Love it.

I had a talking lion as a pet. It only said the one phrase which it kept repeating: "We're going to have to go and sleep at the labour exchange".

Quite a vivid one last night. I was at a rugby match at Murrayfield in Edinburgh with a friend who died five years ago. After the match we were driving along a country road when we saw a huge cloud of multi-coloured smoke in the distance. We were discussing what it was when the Red Arrows suddenly came from the direction of the cloud and they were very low, their wings only a few feet above the traffic.

I've had two nights of unsettling and upsetting dreams, I'm putting it down to the current heat, being nervous at my new job and that I've been a little unwell over the last few days .. the dreams are a combination of escaped zoo animals, my parents disowning me, weird strangers etc ... I've just woken up close to crying which isn't like me at all .. it's 2am so I'll be off for some more kip in a bit.

I was in that half-awake with your eyes closed state and could hear something pattering around on the floorboards as if it was running in circles. I shrugged it off and then I felt somethimg touch my head and awoke to find Miss Yith trying to balance a box of chocolates on my forehead.

I was in that half-awake with your eyes closed state and could hear something pattering around on the floorboards as if it was running in circles. I shrugged it off and then I felt somethimg touch my head and awoke to find Miss Yith trying to balance a box of chocolates on my forehead.
Awww, how sweet of her to think you wanted chocolates!

...at 08:00 on Saturday morning.

Back