• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

What Is The Troll's Head?

Any Wetherspoons at any time during opening hours can hold any number of Fortean phenomena.

Apparently a frequent one is that when leave to go to the loo your pint has mysteriously reduced in volume.

Apparently a frequent one is that when leave to go to the loo your pint has mysteriously reduced in volume.

And that no matter how early you arrive--even if it be as the very doors open--the same three or four old chaps will be sitting in silence at the extremities of the bar with two-thirds-empty pints in front of them.

There is something a bit Fortean about the Wetherspoons in Keighley.
Since it was opened people who wished to smoke have had to stand out on the pavement or hope to get a seat at the couple of pavement areas.

But I was rather surprised one day as I was driving past the front of this establishment.

Next door to it was a bingo hall, preceded by a cinema. And the whole facade is listed. So no one can change anything.

But on close examination, only the facade is there. All the building behind it (the old cinema) has been removed and it is now quite an elaborate beer garden. Smokers may now sit under suitable shelter.

It looks quite odd as you cross the road towards it. Rather like passing into another world.

There is something a bit Fortean about the Wetherspoons in Keighley.
Since it was opened people who wished to smoke have had to stand out on the pavement or hope to get a seat at the couple of pavement areas.

But I was rather surprised one day as I was driving past the front of this establishment.

Next door to it was a bingo hall, preceded by a cinema. And the whole facade is listed. So no one can change anything.

But on close examination, only the facade is there. All the building behind it (the old cinema) has been removed and it is now quite an elaborate beer garden. Smokers may now sit under suitable shelter.

It looks quite odd as you cross the road towards it. Rather like passing into another world.
There's a lot of that happening with architecture these days. 'Facadism'.

There's a lot of that happening with architecture these days. 'Facadism'.

I do think it is a good thing.

We have a very handsome mostly Victorian main thoroughfare, and in the few places that parts have been rebuilt in some modern style, it just looks wrong.

Let the developers do as they wish on the inside, but give us our historic grandeur.

The pub is great, you can chat about and post anything, maybe you want to ask something and don't know where it goes,you ask ya buddies, if they are sober enough, you just chat away like you would in a normal pub, it aint harming anyone in that corner gov'ner, just being yourself. P space eh, loverly

And that no matter how early you arrive--even if it be as the very doors open--the same three or four old chaps will be sitting in silence at the extremities of the bar with two-thirds-empty pints in front of them.

And the toilet is in a different postcode.

Attachments

• 1574248285133.png
    1574248285133.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 54
@Shady I hear they've restocked the nuts... go on, let me press you to a pecan :)

more than that. It is THE Pub. The archetype, with all other pubs merely echos.

A bit like L-space, we have P-space ;)
Surely P-space is the loo/toilet/restroom/facilities/Spend-A-Penny Arcade?

I think that I would be more worried if my pint contained more liquid when I returned from the toilet.
This is why Americans and Aussies have chilled beer. If it's a lot warmer when you get back, you know something is up.

This is why Americans and Aussies have chilled beer. If it's a lot warmer when you get back, you know something is up.
That's why I don't drink. That, and I think alcohol tastes like liquid B.O....

more than that. It is THE Pub. The archetype, with all other pubs merely echos.

A bit like L-space, we have P-space ;)
The Trolls is a seething den of depravity with robot bar staff (apart from Sally with the tattoos), George the dog who's usually asleep in a place you're most likely to stand on him unless you're careful, some sort of permanent time vortex none of us have worked out yet in the beer cellar that comes in handy sometimes (mods are still trying to shift it but I like it), a scruffy pool table and if you kick the money slot, you can get your coin back, a jukebox that still plays vinyl 7" records and we once had to board up the windows quick style because of that zombie invasion. The beer's good though. The scampi fries are sometimes out of date though because stock rotation isn't always done.

The scampi fries are sometimes out of date though because stock rotation isn't always done.
That may not be ordinary scampi. It may have a 'Cthulhu' origin.

Cthulhu isn't completely octopoid - he is pretty amorphous.
I was really talking about the other denizens that share his social circle.
And that time you killed that vampire at The Trolls. That was messed up. You just laughed it off at the time but there was blood everywhere man.

And that time you killed that vampire at The Trolls. That was messed up. You just laughed it off at the time but there was blood everywhere man.
Hey, that was my blood. Vampires are only allowed in if they behave.

Back