• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Whatever Happened To Lord Lucan?

Do we know if Lucan had had any recent building work done on any of his properties? Plenty of places would have still had lead pipe in them especially back then. It's just not the sort of thing you would come across in everyday life unless you had access to a building site or some such.
The piece I used had a 10mm thick wall and was probably at least 50mm in diameter, god knows where it came from or what its original purpose was.

... As Sandra was found in a sack, she was going to be taken somewhere and disposed of. ...
In a way, the sack is the one thing that strikes me as pointing to more than one assailant. I'm very familiar with the US Postal Service mail sacks used in the 1970s, and it would be difficult for a single person to stuff a woman's body into one of these sacks.

On a related note ... I've always found it odd no one seems to have wondered why a US mail sack was used or where the killer(s) may have obtained it.

In a way, the sack is the one thing that strikes me as pointing to more than one assailant. I'm very familiar with the US Postal Service mail sacks used in the 1970s, and it would be difficult for a single person to stuff a woman's body into one of these sacks.

On a related note ... I've always found it odd no one seems to have wondered why a US mail sack was used or where the killer(s) may have obtained it.
I've got a couple of US mail sacks upstairs...

Ordered some books from the States and the books arrived properly packaged but they were inside a US mail sack with a tag with my name and address on it.

'At 9pm, a parking attendant at the Clermont Club remembers seeing Lord Lucan in his Mercedes pull up outside the club and enquire who was present. After being given an answer, he drove off.'

But elsewhere it says that the Mercedes had a flat battery and Lucan had borrowed a friend's car. Which means that the parking attendant is probably mixing up his days.

'At 9pm, a parking attendant at the Clermont Club remembers seeing Lord Lucan in his Mercedes pull up outside the club and enquire who was present. After being given an answer, he drove off.'

But elsewhere it says that the Mercedes had a flat battery and Lucan had borrowed a friend's car. Which means that the parking attendant is probably mixing up his days.
The more we pick this apart, I think between us all. We can come to a more convincing theory. If Lucan made time, did he drive to the Claremont club, in his Mercedes. To give himself an alibi, as I said before. You would not kill you wife yourself and he didn't. If the car was close, cold night. It would have cooled down quickly, if he didn't drive far. Flat battery, in his haste, he left the lights on. But another point, if he was already driving his car, why would he borrow the Corsair. To escape after he killed Sandra and attempting to kill Veronica ?

As for the mail sack, it would not be that hard, for an X service man. As another poster said, he was fit. Mail sacks were everywhere, in the 60's / 70's.

SomethingI did miss in my main theory. Lucan said he saw someone attacking someone in the basement. So, How on earth did Sandra, get into the mail sack. So he saying that, between him seeing someone being attacked and him entering the house. Sandra was put into the sack, that just doesn't make sense. He would have made, a hell of a commotion. That would have made the alleged perpetrator flee. But no, someone then attacks Veronica. That I think, clear up that point. Lucan didn't see an intruder, in the basement, attacking someone. Unless of course, Veronica was setting him up.

The more we pick this apart, I think between us all. We can come to a more convincing theory. If Lucan made time, did he drive to the Claremont club, in his Mercedes. To give himself an alibi, as I said before. You would not kill you wife yourself and he didn't. If the car was close, cold night. It would have cooled down quickly, if he didn't drive far. Flat battery, in his haste, he left the lights on. But another point, if he was already driving his car, why would he borrow the Corsair. To escape after he killed Sandra and attempting to kill Veronica ?

As for the mail sack, it would not be that hard, for an X service man. As another poster said, he was fit. Mail sacks were everywhere, in the 60's / 70's.

SomethingI did miss in my main theory. Lucan said he saw someone attacking someone in the basement. So, How on earth did Sandra, get into the mail sack. So he saying that, between him seeing someone being attacked and him entering the house. Sandra was put into the sack, that just doesn't make sense. He would have made, a hell of a commotion. That would have made the alleged perpetrator flee. But no, someone then attacks Veronica. That I think, clear up that point. Lucan didn't see an intruder, in the basement, attacking someone. Unless of course, Veronica was setting him up.
I think, in my head, I'm pretty certain he did it. My main reasoning is that, if he didn't, then why not remove himself to a place of perceived safety and then contact the police with any evidence he had for not having done it? Ie, listing out exactly what he saw in the house that night, because it should tie in to evidence the police could find/ascertain, leading to belief that he was innocent. Or even hand himself in and stand trial - Lucan could have afforded the absolute best barristers, he'd have friends testifying on his behalf, and, if he really and truly hadn't done it, then the evidence should be insufficient to condemn him. I'm sure a man with all his advantages would have been able to get off.

But he didn't. He vanished. And without giving any 'it wasn't me and here's why I couldn't have done it' evidence to contradict belief he was guilty, only some half-cocked stories which could be disproved with evidence.

Back