• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

What's The Most Outrageous Conspiracy Theory You Have Heard?

nobody is going to steal an amateur manuscript, or ideas from it.
Ummm... judging by the number of lawsuits alleging exactly that in both Hollywood and the video game industry, this happens all the time, including with professionally prepared pitches that get rejected but wind up suspiciously similar to final "not influenced by anyone" output.

Sorry, I'm on her side. Mailing it to yourself so you can later show it existed before a certain date makes sense. Anyone can backdate a manuscript.

Sorry, I'm on her side. Mailing it to yourself so you can later show it existed before a certain date makes sense. Anyone can backdate a manuscript.
It's automatically copyrighted to you as soon as it's finished. You don't need to put any effort in at all. It's your product. As @Mythopoeika says above.

It's a bit difficult to top the Flat Earth one isn't it?

Sadly, I'm sure someone has, in fact, I'm sure many people have...
The artist formerly known as Hans Wormhat (his YouTube name is now a string of letters I'm assured have some religious significance) will accept any conspiracy theory and then some.

Having been involved in writing, copyright and trademark disputes, I have plenty of experience with this.
It's more of an archaic copyright protection.
Before the advent of easy self-publishing, home word-processing and internet, if you designed a game then you needed a publisher. You'd send your idea in, the publisher would be kind, give advice then say "Sorry - not for us!" A couple of months down the line, the publisher would bring out their own version of the game. This happened exactly to a friend of mine.
Unless you pay for a good solicitor and have rock-hard evidence that a) you came up with the idea before them, and b) they have changed little from the first concept, then you lose. The ol' 'Post it to yourself, recorded delivery, leave unsealed' thing was a cheap example of a). Sadly, b) relies on court decision.
All this was before the available dissemination by internet.
Now, thanks to metadata, the creation date/creator thing is practically a done deal. The problem comes with the decision of how much does a creation need to be changed in order for it not to be a copy?
Advice is always keep records and copies. Write the dated copyright* declaration at the start and end of any text.
It is quite true that as soon as you create something, be it a game, picture or writing, it is yours. But you always have to state this. It is always about legal claim, not actual claim.

* Trademarks are a whole different game. You cannot just claim a trademark - you must register it. To do this, you apply to the relevant body (in the UK it's the IPO), they make sure no one has similar in a similar field of interest (known as a 'class') and, after announcing your claim for a short period, they tell you when you own it. Unless, you have registered your trademark, you cannot put the TM subscript in any publication. Oddly, you don't have to show it if you have got the registered Trade Mark.
Trade marks are a nightmare if it goes to court, so the IPO really double-check if it is contested. This happened to us recently. We registered a trademark (back in 2010) for a dog treat called the Cherry Barkwell. Recently, a treat company that has been very successful in stocking a pet shop chain and was 'snapping up' and trade marking every name it could think of. The IPO paused their claim for the Barkwell - technically, we are asked to give permission and cede our rights to them. We didn't. We were asked to present evidence of our use (to the IPO) in the form of publications, leaflets, even photos of the name at markets and events. The rival company could produce no evidence to counter. We won. Thing is, they knew that if they went to the expense of a court they'd lose. It would've been cheaper to buy the title from us - we were open to the deal but it would be worth thousands to us. However, essentially they didn't want to pay anything.

The artist formerly known as Hans Wormhat (his YouTube name is now a string of letters I'm assured have some religious significance) will accept any conspiracy theory and then some.

Obviously penguins aren't real - no birds are. I don't even believe in the chocolate bars.

While we're on the topic, your username and avatar are highly suspicious...

Having been involved in writing, copyright and trademark disputes, I have plenty of experience with this.
It's more of an archaic copyright protection.
Before the advent of easy self-publishing, home word-processing and internet, if you designed a game then you needed a publisher. You'd send your idea in, the publisher would be kind, give advice then say "Sorry - not for us!" A couple of months down the line, the publisher would bring out their own version of the game. This happened exactly to a friend of mine.
Unless you pay for a good solicitor and have rock-hard evidence that a) you came up with the idea before them, and b) they have changed little from the first concept, then you lose. The ol' 'Post it to yourself, recorded delivery, leave unsealed' thing was a cheap example of a). Sadly, b) relies on court decision.
All this was before the available dissemination by internet.
Now, thanks to metadata, the creation date/creator thing is practically a done deal. The problem comes with the decision of how much does a creation need to be changed in order for it not to be a copy?
Advice is always keep records and copies. Write the dated copyright* declaration at the start and end of any text.
It is quite true that as soon as you create something, be it a game, picture or writing, it is yours. But you always have to state this. It is always about legal claim, not actual claim.

* Trademarks are a whole different game. You cannot just claim a trademark - you must register it. To do this, you apply to the relevant body (in the UK it's the IPO), they make sure no one has similar in a similar field of interest (known as a 'class') and, after announcing your claim for a short period, they tell you when you own it. Unless, you have registered your trademark, you cannot put the TM subscript in any publication. Oddly, you don't have to show it if you have got the registered Trade Mark.
Trade marks are a nightmare if it goes to court, so the IPO really double-check if it is contested. This happened to us recently. We registered a trademark (back in 2010) for a dog treat called the Cherry Barkwell. Recently, a treat company that has been very successful in stocking a pet shop chain and was 'snapping up' and trade marking every name it could think of. The IPO paused their claim for the Barkwell - technically, we are asked to give permission and cede our rights to them. We didn't. We were asked to present evidence of our use (to the IPO) in the form of publications, leaflets, even photos of the name at markets and events. The rival company could produce no evidence to counter. We won. Thing is, they knew that if they went to the expense of a court they'd lose. It would've been cheaper to buy the title from us - we were open to the deal but it would be worth thousands to us. However, essentially they didn't want to pay anything.
I think a lot of the 'copyright theft' that people are thinking of actually comes down to plagiarism, which is a different thing.

I think a lot of the 'copyright theft' that people are thinking of actually comes down to plagiarism, which is a different thing.
Now I've started my degree course, the whole subject of plagiarism and using AI has come into sharp focus.
The university (in this case, the Open University), goes to great pains - with several tutorials and advice sources - to explain what plagiarism is, how it is wrong, and how much it will affect your assessment should it come into question. At all times, students are required to give full credit and reference sources.

Now I've started my degree course, the whole subject of plagiarism and using AI has come into sharp focus.
The university (in this case, the Open University), goes to great pains - with several tutorials and advice sources - to explain what plagiarism is, how it is wrong, and how much it will affect your assessment should it come into question. At all times, students are required to give full credit and reference sources.
I don't envy them. When I did my degree we had to submit everything through 'Turn It In' which scanned for plagiarism, but these days with people using hired writers or AI to write scripts for them it must be incredibly hard for Universities to ensure that students aren't taking short cuts.

I don't envy them. When I did my degree we had to submit everything through 'Turn It In' which scanned for plagiarism, but these days with people using hired writers or AI to write scripts for them it must be incredibly hard for Universities to ensure that students aren't taking short cuts.
I know what you mean but back in the early 80's, we were using Casio watches to cheat in maths exams so this is nothing new.

I had a brush with conspiracy theories last night at work. My supervisor was on the headset asking if we knew about these 'test messages' that would be sent to our phones, and how she was going to disable her phone because 'once you answer it, THEY are in your phone and they can control your banking and all your other apps'.

I did briefly raise the question - why the hell would they bother, as, presumably 'they' could find much easier ways of getting into the banking system than relying on EVERYONE having a smart phone which they used for doing their banking, but it was a busy evening so I didn't get an answer.
It's late so forgive any spelling errors.

There is a very real spy program for mobile phones which activated by text. If you clicked on a link it downloaded the program onto your phone and then the owner of said program could have full access. It was developed by an Israeli security firm. It then went on to you just having to open a text message with GIF in it which was actually a program hidden in an image. The new generation (from around 2017) is a zero-click program. All they need is your phone number. It's called Pegasus as is very real and active today used by several Governments.

The good news is that you're not interesting enough for anyone to use it on you.

Here, click this link to read more... go on...https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pegasus_(spyware)

It's late so forgive any spelling errors.

There is a very real spy program for mobile phones which activated by text. If you clicked on a link it downloaded the program onto your phone and then the owner of said program could have full access. It was developed by an Israeli security firm. It then went on to you just having to open a text message with GIF in it which was actually a program hidden in an image. The new generation (from around 2017) is a zero-click program. All they need is your phone number. It's called Pegasus as is very real and active today used by several Governments.

The good news is that you're not interesting enough for anyone to use it on you.

Here, click this link to read more... go on...https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pegasus_(spyware)
I don't think this is what she was referring to. She genuinely thought that the alarm warning would mean that the government would have access to our bank accounts (although quite why they would be bothered I don't know, HMRC pretty well know who's got all the money in the country). She's a bit of a knee-jerk reactionary (if the Daily Mirror says it, it must be true).

Anyone can track me, anytime. My search history is going to give them kittens, but waiting for me to actually carry out some of the things I have Googled is going to bore a lot of people to death.

Drop everything!
Stop engineering!
72447e100df25634.jpeg

I'm in an online argument on Facebook with a woman who maintains that you have to send any manuscripts you have written to yourself in order to have copyright, and that she needs to protect herself against theft of said manuscript if she sends it to any publishers. I've pointed out that copyright is automatic as soon as you've written the manuscript and that nobody is going to steal an amateur manuscript, or ideas from it. She will not have this and is deeply entrenched in 'what about....' and keeps saying that there are 'loads' of cases of people being prosecuted for stealing manuscripts. I think she's thinking about plagiarism of existing books, but she says no, it's copyright and everybody is doing it.

I've given up now.
It isn't a bad idea if it helps her feel better while she is trying to get something published. It gives her a date to prove when she finished it. I did that when I had an invention I considered patenting, though I never followed through. It wasn't a good design and I am working on a better one. But I have the proof of my idea with a postmark in case I ever do submit a patent application. I don't think this qualifies as a conspiracy, since like someone else pointed out there are tons of copywrite lawsuits.

Pentagon pushes back against Fox News conspiracy theory involving Taylor Swift

The Department of Defense on Wednesday responded after Fox News host Jesse Watters suggested this week that pop star Taylor Swift could be “a front for a covert political agenda.” Watters on Tuesday, during his show Jesse Watters Primetime, told viewers that “around four years ago, the Pentagon’s psychological operations unit floated turning Taylor Swift into an asset.”

He then showed a clip from a 2019 conference organized by the NATO Cooperative Cyber Defense Center of Excellence, where a presenter appears to name Taylor Swift merely as an example of a powerful influencer. “It’s real. The Pentagon psy-op unit pitched NATO on turning Taylor Swift into an asset for combating misinformation online,” Watters said.
But on Wednesday, Pentagon spokesperson Sabrina Singh pushed back against Watters claim, referencing one of Swift’s big hits by saying in a statement, “as for this conspiracy theory, we are going to shake it off.”

“But that does highlight that we still need Congress to approve our supplemental budget request as Swift-ly as possible so we can be out of the woods with potential fiscal concerns,” Singh added, seizing the opportunity to slyly highlight a Swift song by telling Congress “I Wish You Would” grant the administration its supplemental budget request.
https://www.politico.com/news/2024/01/10/pentagon-taylor-swift-fox-00134866

Seems to me they were floating ideas and using Taylor Swift as a hypothetical example, not as an admission of a 'working' project.
Even Pentagon 'spooks' knows that the music industry is an unstable and flighty resource. Who is popular now might not be popular in a month, let alone a year.
How many modern musicians - and their work - will be around for long enough for them to be used as an 'asset'?

I'm hearing the old mission impossible theme starting up - Anyway....Just to change the subject, Has anyone else had their intelligence assaulted by Mudfloods, Tartaria, and architectural evidence of an old world order?

I've come across, in the last month or so, the idea of the Tartarian Nation, and the Mudflood...

It seems that until the start of the last century that there was an old world order governed by the Tartarian Nation - which stretched from one end of the EuroAsian continent, to the other. It is evidenced by the classical architecture that is still to be seen in most old world cities like Paris, Prague, Moscow and London...even the whitehouse is supposed to be a relic of this defunct age that was.

Then there is the Mudflood that obliterated the majority of this Old Tartarian Architecture, and to remove evidence of the knowledge of it all, 'They' initiated the First World War to remove from the equation all those who would remember the 'Old Order'

Then there is the global earthquakes that liquified soil, causing these old buildings, and their remains, to sink into the soil. Evidence of this are buildings like the tower of Pisa.

I like to point out were their belief is just not possible, and I do this nicely and gently...BUT. There comes a time when I need to disengage and just SMH.

So...Has anyone else heard of this?

Sounds like the Tartarian Nation is along the same lines as Ancient Alien intervention in human technology and building.
The Tartars had a vast area of rule, challenging the more 'organised' Chinese empires, while living a simple lifestyle. This is the equivalent of native Americans bringing white settlement to a standstill ... which makes some people question it.
Is the suggestion that there had to have been a 'lost' empire that existed before the known 'degraded' tribes?

I've head of the Tartarian conspiracy theory but can't make out what questions it's supposed to solve, apart from, 'This building looks a bit weird.'

I've never heard of a single 'mudflood' that brought an entire civilisation down.
Lots of floods and mudfloods might have done it, over a sustained period of time.
Did anything like that happen, outside of legend?
IIRC, archaeologists did find an ancient city that had been submerged under liquidised mud in Iraq or Iran, which had happened after wet weather and a massive earthquake. The earthquake had made the ground behave like liquid, and anything built on it just sank.

But no, I don't buy the idea of a single mudflood that buried an entire civilisation.

Back