• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Who Is Bob?

Who tried to blow up parliament? Guy Fawkes? The leaded was actually Robert Catesby. It is his effigy we should be burning each year.

IN THE MOUTH OF MADNESS takes place at Hobb's end. Hob is a variation of the name Rob and an old name for the devil.

In AUSTIN POWERS Dr Evil is cryogenically frozen in a statue of Bob' Big Boy. His number two is played by Robert Wagner.

The Hitcher from the MIGHTY BOOSH TV show is evil and turns up a lot. His real name is Babu Yaga. Named after Baba Yaga a Russian bogeyman.

Talking about the bogeyman it is derived from the word Boggart. What do we cry when we want to scare someone? BOO! We also use this sound to denote dislike usually of a villain.

Another name for the devil is Beelzebub.

Already mentioned Ted Robert Bundy. He reminds me of Robin Goodfellow. Goodfellow would lure people into the forest to their doom. Bundy would trick women into his car and take them to the forest to their doom. He would adopt a British accent while tricking the women. Robin Goodfellow was a British elf.

Goodfellas is a name for a mafia person. The films stars Robert De Niro.

In The SHining we have Delbert GRady. The former caretaker of the hotel and a murderer of children. The name is very like his later character Robert Gray, otherwise known as Pennywise the clown.

In CAPE FEAR we have Robert De Niro as the villain. In the original version it was Robert Mitchum. The Simpsons did a version of it with Sideshow Bob.

In Star Trek we have the BORG. Reverse the word.

In SUPERMAN 3 we have Robert Vaughn as the villain. His sister in the movie calls him Bubba.

In TIME BANDITS Evil's right hand man is Robert.

In the kids tv show LAZY TOWN the villain is Robbie Rotten.

In PRINCESS BRIDE we have the Dread Pirate Roberts.

In CHITTY CHITTY BANG BANG The child catcher is played by Robert Helpmann.

Who was the villain of the French revolution? Robespierre.

Who was the most hated Prime Minister? Margerate Thatcher. Formerly Margerate Roberts.

Child Killer Robert Black.
Robert_Black_mugshot.jpg

He killed four little girls thatwe know of and he looks like Freddy Krueger(played by Robert englund)

Black was known for always wearing the same dirty ripped jumper.

In MIGHTY BOOSH we have the tyrant Bob Fossil.

In Hellraiser we have Andrew Robinson playing his version of Frank Cotton.
Robinson also played killer Scorpio in DIRTY HARRY. The character was based on Zodiac the serial killer. In a book by Robert Greysmith he named the killer as Robert Hall Starr a pseudonym for Arthur leigh Allen who he belived was the killer.

We have Barbossa in PIRATES OF THE CARRIBEAN.

In HELLMASTER we have Bobby Razor face.

Guitarist Robert Johnson claims to have sold his soul to the devil in exchange for better guitar skills.

The famous murder of toddler Jamie Bulger. One of the two killers(children themselves) was Robert Thompson.

Australian aborigines claim they were given the boomerang by serpent god Bobbi Bobbi.

Ever heard of the sinister Mr Blobby? Look him up.

We have the weird villain Bad Bob in The Life and Times of Judge Roy Bean.

1348680452_1.jpg

Who is the source of fear in TO KILL A MOCKINGBIRD? Boo Radley.

In DONNIE DARKO we have the sinister Frank who is a Rabbit. We also have Grandma Death or Roberta Sparrow.

We have a term in England for something crap. Bobbins.

Rob Roy was a Scottish villain hero.

A bob is a kind of hairstyle and worn by the killer Chigurh in NO COUNTRY FOR OLD MEN.

BLACK CHRISTMAS was directed by Bob Clark. I have already mentioned Ted Robert Bundy. Bundy saw the film and replicated the murders in the film.

American Indians have a devil god called Hobomoko. It is said he would disguise himself as an English man and grab people before jumping into a lake with them to drown them. very similar to Robin Goodfellow.

In TWIN PEAKS we have Bob played by Frank Silva. There was no bob in the original script. During filming Silva was a stage hand and was accidentally caught on shot. Lynch liked it so much he created the character of Bob.

Dr Robert is a song by The Beatles. It is said he was the guy who sorted them out for drugs.

The plumb bob is a little known symbol of freemasonry. Here is a mural depicting it.

1482391_1296347018230.jpg

The plum bob is just above the skull.

David Lynch uses the same image in MULLHOLLAND DRIVE.

skullbob_by_albatrash_d5tjthr_by_albatrash-d5uvy2s.jpg

The plum bob here is the light bulb below the skull. The scene involves a weird cowboy.

cowbob_by_albatrash-d5tjsxi.jpg

In the freemason mural we see two sets of clothes one old and ruined one new. In the film we have a guy with clothes ruined by paint and a cowboy immaculately dressed.

The plum bob signifies correctness.

In Suicide Squad we have Margot Robbie playing Jokers girl Harlequin.

And Robert E Lee confederate soldier and racist. Symbol of the south. We all have seen the chaos that ensued when they recently tried to tear down his statue.

And most evil of all MILK!

bob.png

In a completely different context, I've been reminded that I did once go on a date with a Bob.

I met this particular Bob down at the river (which is how my dumbest stories always start) one day back in the 90's. Bob was really religious, due to a near death experience. He'd been in a motorcycle crash, and by the time the paramedics reached him, his heart had stopped. When he was resuscitated, he knew that God had sent him back for a purpose.

Bob drove us to see the spot where he'd died. He pulled out a newspaper clipping showing a photograph of himself lying dead (or so he claimed) in the grass. He was wearing cowboy boots in the picture, and he jovially proclaimed that he'd "died with his boots on." har har.

After that, he took me to meet his mother. Over dinner, she told me her own story of Bob's death and return. She said that she had loved Bob's father very much, she'd been crazy about the man, but when Bob was in intensive care, she'd prayed for God to save her son and take her husband instead. God must have agreed to the swap, because just a month later, her husband disappeared, never to be seen again. (I thought, if my spouse had asked God to take me, I would have bailed out, too, but of course didn't say so.;))

Well, I've had weirder dates, but it was the next part where he lost me.

At the end of the night, Bob said he wanted to have a talk. This is a sort of ominous phrase, but I said okay. We went out to his car for some privacy. Bob says, "I want to talk to you about your drug problem."

Me: Eh? I don't have a drug problem. :confused::confused:

Bob: You say that because you're in denial.

Me: No, I mean, I don't use drugs.

Bob: You'll never recover if you keep lying about it.
Me: I mean I never take anything stronger than Alka-Seltzer! :frust:

Bob: I know you have a drug problem, that's why Jesus sent you to me! He knows you need my help!

Etc.

This went on for some time. It's really difficult to convince someone who insists they're in direct communication with a Deity. He painted quite a picture of my supposed drug use. It would have been a miracle I was still standing!:p

Anyway, I never went out with Bob again after that. Haven't seen him in years. Betcha he still thinks I'm a drug user, though.

Edit - I've just remembered that Bob and I also discussed UFO's that night. He was sure they must be powered by demons, because no biological being could withstand the speed needed for intergalactic travel. Ergo, demons. Dunno if this a typical line of thought in Christian circles.

Well, make of that what you will.

Last edited:
I'm enjoying these Bits And Bobs. So what's the etymology of that phrase?
My two cents:
Bob Newhart (Hi, Bob, [drink]) is a god of sitcom.
I am a she-priest of the Church of the Sub-Genius, a fun local sub-culture in the 80's that lingers on.

Attachments

• BOB.jpg
    BOB.jpg
    9.5 KB · Views: 6
I'm enjoying these Bits And Bobs. So what's the etymology of that phrase?
'Bits' are (were) any British imperial coin of the realm less than a shilling (which was known as the 'Bob').

So, a pocket-full of "bits'n'bobs" would, originally, have been pennies, tuppenies, thrupennies, ha'pennies, tanners (ie sixpences) and of course, shillings.

Ultimately, that would've metaphorically included, by extension, tap-washers, pencil stubs, bus tickets, broken combs, buttons and a receipt for shoes left at the cobblers

That was last century back when I was still a physical human, as opposed to being an uploaded virtual persona, backed-up on the internet. (Only kidding...I'm not really. Or am I?)

'Bits' are (were) any British imperial coin of the realm less than a shilling (which was known as the 'Bob').

So, a pocket-full of "bits'n'bobs" would, originally, have been pennies, tuppenies, thrupennies, ha'pennies, tanners (ie sixpences) and of course, shillings.

Ultimately, that would've metaphorically included, by extension, tap-washers, pencil stubs, bus tickets, broken combs, buttons and a receipt for shoes left at the cobblers

That was last century back when I was still a physical human, as opposed to being an uploaded virtual persona, backed-up on the internet. (Only kidding...I'm not really. Or am I?)
Thank you! That's a charming and sensible explanation.
And it's inspired me to paw though the coins my Dad brought back from his Merseyside posting in WWII. Thrupennies are engaging, with their wavy edges and pretty flowers on the obverse.
The oldest bob he brought back is an 1899 shilling with Victoria Dei Gra Britt Regina (that's what is struck over her profile) so worn that she's just a smudge of a profile. Funny to think of someone in the Liverpool area carrying around a 43-44-year-old bob in their pocket change. Bobs continue to just make us wonder.

Thank you! That's a charming and sensible explanation.
And it's inspired me to paw though the coins my Dad brought back from his Merseyside posting in WWII. Thrupennies are engaging, with their wavy edges and pretty flowers on the obverse.
The oldest bob he brought back is an 1899 shilling with Victoria Dei Gra Britt Regina (that's what is struck over her profile) so worn that she's just a smudge of a profile. Funny to think of someone in the Liverpool area carrying around a 43-44-year-old bob in their pocket change. Bobs continue to just make us wonder.
:wear: That 1899 shilling is 100% sterling silver. (The pound sterling is so-called because its original value was that of a pound of the metal in weight.) Any pre-1920 UK silver coin will likewise be 100% silver, while their pre-1947 counterparts will be 50% sterling silver. Of course, they may have additional numismatic value, but given that bartertown seems due to arrive any time now, I thought it worth mentioning.

:wear: That 1899 shilling is 100% sterling silver. (The pound sterling is so-called because its original value was that of a pound of the metal in weight.) Any pre-1920 UK silver coin will likewise be 100% silver, while their pre-1947 counterparts will be 50% sterling silver. Of course, they may have additional numismatic value, but given that bartertown seems due to arrive any time now, I thought it worth mentioning.
Ah, we have fun divvying up the old coins. We have sorted a small pile of pre-1920 & 1947 bits and bobs to admire the silver, but now I sorted them by decade, looking at monarchs, wear and tear, because I am rereading the Forsyte Saga.

Funny to think of someone in the Liverpool area carrying around a 43-44-year-old bob in their pocket change.

That psychometric contact with the past was real until decimalization in the early 1970s. Silver threepences has gone but kids were primed to look out for 1937 "brass" ones and, IIRC, 1933 pennies were another potential pot-of-gold.

Victorian pennies were not at all rare but they were usually from the last years of her reign, the head reduced to an outline by years of handling. We were warned that should we ever come across a collectable coin, it should certainly not be put in HP sauce to make it gleam again; collectors liked a bit of patina on their stuff! :reyes:

That psychometric contact with the past was real until decimalization in the early 1970s. Silver threepences has gone but kids were primed to look out for 1937 "brass" ones and, IIRC, 1933 pennies were another potential pot-of-gold.

Victorian pennies were not at all rare but they were usually from the last years of her reign, the head reduced to an outline by years of handling. We were warned that should we ever come across a collectable coin, it should certainly not be put in HP sauce to make it gleam again; collectors liked a bit of patina on their stuff! :reyes:

I once found an 1861 penny, in our garden. And, moving into the 20thC, a Royal Horse Artillery cap badge (which may well have been my grandad's as he had rented that house in the 40s and 50s). Our nearest postbox still had "VR" on it (I went past last week and it's still there but the other VR one in the next village, long gone).

When I first started writing about this on another forum I kept seeing the numbers 808 on car license plates on adverts. Sometimes it would be BOB. They were all different companies too. It seems to be massive! Rationale suggest they are just using numbers that can be reversed in case they need to reverse the image in the advert. But they came along exactly when I was researching the subject and haven't happened since. I keep an eye out for them.

bobdacia_by_albatrash-d5tc3w8.jpg

car_by_albatrash-d5sr9tm.jpg

bobs_by_albatrash-d5zj907.jpg

I think we need to look out for any up and coming politician called Bob. Maybe he'll be the antichrist.

Now if we can reach the A team maybe we can take him out. :)

Oh two more Bobs. Who Played Frankenstein's monster? Boris Karloff. Is Rob.

Rambo. Am Rob.

Something about Freddy. Robin Goodfellow seems to have a lot of links to Freddy. Robin lures people to their deaths in woods. Freddy lures Tina out of her house and lures Nancy to his boilerroom. We have Elm street and Springwood. Both related to Robin's hunting ground. Robin wore green and had red hair. Nuff said. Robin learned of his magical powers in a dream. He was an English elf. Robert ENGLUND.
He was also known as Puck. Freddy went up against Jason who wears a hockey goalie mask. The job of a goalie is to STOP THE PUCK. Interesting.

I have mentioned the scene in Halloween 2 where Myers is taking the knife off the old folks who are watching the news on TV. The reporter signs off "This is Robert Mundy, live." It is framed in such a way as if to suggest it is referring to Myers. Mundi is latin for the world. The cathars believed the world was created by an evil god who they called Rex Mundi. King of the world.

I have joked about looking out for a politician called Robert. But we already have one. B.Obama. Bob. The day after his inauguration the Illinois lottery came up 666. Obama was a senator in Illinois. 666= bbb=bobby. Call me crazy! I can't really claim he is the antichrist. He didn't start a major war.

Ouroboros. The serpent biting its own tail. Infinity.

What's the scariest thing about the film MONSTER CLUB? B.A Robertson's singing. HAHAHAHHA.

I've discussed David Lynch and the use of the obscure symbol of the plum bob in his movie MULLHOLLAND DRIVE. To bob means to move up and down. In ERASERHEAD we first see Henry in space on his side bobbing up and down.

We see the notion of bobbing in the floor of Henry's hotel.
u4eu8pnzjzky.jpg

We see it again in TWIN PEAKS in the lodge.

1430778-red_room.jpg

In an interview Lynch said that this denotes they are the same place.

Emanuel Kidega Samson shot up a church recently.

Samson, who, according to his Facebook page, is originally from the Sudan, wrote just before 11 a.m., "Everything you've ever doubted or made to be believe as false, is real. & vice versa, B."

What does the B stand for? Bye? Bob? Isn't what he said something Bob would say?

In WARGAMES Stephen Falcon creates an AI computer that threatens to start ww3. He also goes by the pseudonym Robert Hume. The guy who sets off the computer is David Lightman, played by Matthew Broderick. BRO. Rob.

Call me crazy again! HAHAHAHAH.

Was Bob always a bad guy? No. We have the HOBBIT. Hob = Rob= Robbit. Bilbo Baggins(see the bob in his name? Bil bob aggins) Finds a magic ring belonging to evil Sauron. In LORD OF THE RINGS we see him again unable to part with the ring. We see him later when he sees the rings around Frodo's neck. His first distorts into pure evil. Was this what turned Bob evil?

Consider this also...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bob_(The_Dresden_Files)

The man who kills Sam in GHOST lives at apartment block 303.

I went to see the new version of IT. Pennywises real name was Robert Grey. There are several clues to the name Bob in the film. The film begins in 1988. 88 BB BoB.

A kid is reading some clippings of past events in the town. In one 88 kids are killed in an explosion.

A Robert Smith song plays during the film.

That is another one. I was born in 1973 on the 31st of the third month.
333. BoBBy.
And I am called Robert. Yep. It's all about me! My national insurance numbers add up to 666. bobby.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/God,_the_Devil_and_Bob

God, the Devil and Bob is an animated sitcom which premiered on NBC on March 9, 2000 and ended on March 28, 2000, leaving nine episodes unaired. It was created by Matthew Carlson.

MV5BMTA2NjExMTI3MjReQTJeQWpwZ15BbWU3MDk3NzM3MjE@._V1_UY268_CR3,0,182,268_AL_.jpg

In JASON GOES TO HELL Jason possesses the body of one Robert Campbell.

The Mrs has just gone *hee hee* "John Thomas !!" ... I'm not sure if that helps, I just thought I should share her purile moment with you :)

When I worked in VAT, if we got a return signed John Thomas we always speculated in whether it was someone taking the Michael.

BOB = Brain of Britain. Nickname given to some very absent-minded and naive male students at the univ. library where I worked. They often left their wallet next to the computers or were asking strange questions and were a source of welcome distraction for us staff.

Bob seems to be living in southern California, where the authorities are suppressing cues to finding him ...

California city removes mysterious 'Bob's House' road sign
A California city removed an unauthorized road sign erected by a resident who apparently wanted to make it easier for delivery drivers to find "Bob's House."

The City of Rancho Santa Margarita said in a Facebook post that the "Bob's House" sign was removed from under a real road sign that informed drivers that they were approaching Coto De Caza and Dove Canyon.

The sign was first noticed by confused residents earlier in January.

Officials said they were amused by the sign and don't plan to pursue any actions against "Bob," or whoever happens to be behind the unusual sign.

"We noticed the sign Tuesday morning," Rancho Santa Margarita City Manager Jennifer Cervantez told Patch. "The street sign meets the normal standards as if we were to order it ourselves. It could be a prank, a party, we don't know for sure. We're having a laugh along with everyone else." ...

California-city-removes-mysterious-Bobs-House-road-sign.jpg

SOURCE: https://www.upi.com/Odd_News/2018/0.../?utm_source=sec&utm_campaign=sl&utm_medium=3

When I worked in VAT, if we got a return signed John Thomas we always speculated in whether it was someone taking the Michael.

When I worked for a mobile telecommunications company I'd try to weed out the 'humorous' accounts usually made up by the younger members of shop staff for SIMs in demonstration phones and the like - 'Hugh Jarse', 'Oliver Wank' etc...you get the idea...hilarious stuff, you'll agree.

My suspicions were raised by an account bearing the name 'Catherine Tits'. Turned out it's a perfectly genuine surname with a venerable history.

Back