• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Time Travel Suggested / Ascribed To Explain OOPArts & Other Odd Evidence

Duh, it's clearly an apple laptop - look, she's even obscured the distinctive apple logo to try and throw us off the scent, make us think it's a book or something. By the same token, "this man #1" - who is either Nicholas II or Edward VII (all these royals look the same to me) - is pretending his "old MP3 player" is a cigarette case. They knew their fieldcraft, these time travellers, and no mistake.

As above its George and Mary

Solved, allegedly
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/...phone-1938-video-woman-factory_n_3013996.html
Her name is Gertrude Jones, Planetcheck writes, and she was not a time traveler.
"She was 17 years old," Planetcheck writes. "I asked her about this video and she remembers it quite clearly. She says Dupont [the company that reportedly owns the factory in the video] had a telephone communications section in the factory. They were experimenting with wireless telephones. Gertrude and five other women were given these wireless phones to test out for a week. Gertrude is talking to one of the scientists holding another wireless phone who is off to her right as she walks by."
I'm not completely convinced.
I remember using a tiny mobile radio/walkie talkie back in the 70s, but that was well after the invention of transistors...

Yes, of course! Big companies ALWAYS let experimental products leave the front gates.

It could have been a film made to illustrate concepts - i.e. a science-fictional view of what people will be using (when the technology becomes available).
I really doubt that Dupont could have actually had working tech like this in 1938 - otherwise we'd have seen mobile phones much earlier.

My first thought was that it was her purse because the other ladies are wearing the similar one.

But at the end it looks to me like she folds it....

If it was the experimental phone they said they tried it out for a week. So maybe they did let them take it about with them. Also if that is true maybe the other woman has got one too and it's not a purse at all. Actually I would expect these women to have actual bags which they don't seem to.

If it was an experimental phone and the year was 1938, it would look more like a conventional phone than that. It's taken about three decades of design for the phones we know to develop into what they look like now.

Just to add, I personally don't think it's a phone at all. Why would time travellers be making so many calls when there are no phone masts or network to speak on?

If it was the experimental phone they said they tried it out for a week. So maybe they did let them take it about with them. Also if that is true maybe the other woman has got one too and it's not a purse at all. Actually I would expect these women to have actual bags which they don't seem to.
Depends on where they are going, clutches were very popular in the 30's - it's part of a vintage look from that era.

Perhaps phones of the future don't work the way ours do today.

Sorry MorningAngel, but I bet you think I'm a terribly sceptical debunker. It's not my intention at all. I'm just looking for rational explanations before irrational ones.

I think I must have spent too much time in my formative years watching Roy Walker on Catchphrase, with his pearls of wisdom such as "Say what you see." and "It's a good answer, but it's the wrong one."

The two-way radio (that's what they were called) was a system with a very limited range; you'd typically have a master receiver and several hand-held remotes, which could pick up transmissions a couple of hundred yards away if you were lucky. The remotes we had in the 70s were about as big as a cigarette packet, but in the 30's they would have been much bigger, or have an even smaller range.

XEPER_ said:
@Loquaciousness wrote

People do odd things all the time...... doesn't make it fortean.
:rolleyes:

Really?
But it doesn't....not unless their actions were measureably recorded as being non-randomly driven.

Say, for example, herd activity without evident drivers.....a million people all feeling a headache simultaneously still might be because of an incoming storm. But until the thunder has passed, the phenomenon appears to be potentially Fortean, via fortuitous misdiagnosis.

In previous eras, people have always mimiced each-other, especially (I feel) in urban settings.

Take for example how people walk...the space between each-other, the amount of freestyle movement individuals display, the extent to which the pelvis leads lines or trails. People are such copiers of those around them. Failure to adhere to such flock signalling indicates a deviant non-member. Metasignals in anthropography gain/lose currency, whilst some are eternal. Potentially the purse-to-face could be a semi-subconscious coquettish display.

IMG_7817.JPG

This fascinates me. It all started for me with the woman at the Charlie Chaplin premiere. I know people have explained it away as a hearing aid. But to me she's reacting to something and there's no one with her.

Then there's the girl above looks like she's on the phone. She could just be holding something to her face, but why? She looks too happy to have tooth ache.

And this one is a new one on me.

But you'd think if you were a time traveller you'd keep it quiet wouldn't you?

Last edited by a moderator:
An other. There was a man from the 1960s but I thought that might be a good chance it was a radio for the sport.

What if mobile phones were about decades ago and we all agreed to forget about them for our own good, only to reinvent them again? Or there's some weird parallel universe thing going on.

:crazy:

EDIT: Here's the one with the guy just out of interest.

Last edited:
What if mobile phones were about decades ago ...
technically they were, in limos and other executive/luxury cars from the
60s i believe, powered by the car battery, allowing the driver to speak to the occupants in the back

all those videos show women posing in the manner of the time, and a frenchman cupping his ear, there are no phones visible !

I would love them to be time-travellers but it doesn't make sense. Wouldn't the people around them react to them, whether to ask whom they were talking to or to try to look at the device? How would they get a signal if the masts were between 20 and 50 years away from being invented?

I think you'll find that nervous people (probably particularly people who suddenly find themselves being filmed) tend to put their hands up to their faces as a kind of comforting gesture. This isn't a serious discussion though is it. Tell me it's not :)

... Then there's the girl above looks like she's on the phone. She could just be holding something to her face, but why? She looks too happy to have tooth ache. ...

I don't have to insert so much speculation between the lines to convince myself she's holding the same thing the woman in front of her is holding - a clutch (small strapless purse carried in the hand).

Check the opening frame of the video at:

https://www.strangerdimensions.com/2012/03/22/are-these-images-proof-of-real-time-travel/

As with the `Mandela Effect` I love this stuff, even though I don't give much credence to any of it.

For example,I think the woman in the Chaplin shot is probably listening to (vis her hearing aid)-and responding to- the camera man, who is warning her that she is on camera.

Of equal interest are the out of place fashion shots. The best known of these is the `hipster` on the American bridge from the Forties. I'm sure we've chewed over that one somewhere here. Anyway, I've read a site which laboriously sources all the things the man is wearing and holding - the shades, the T-shirt, the camera - and says that they were all from that period. It concludes that he was probably a demob airman, hence his attire.

Likewise, I remember a query in the hard copy `Fortean Times` which featured a photo from an Isle Of White rock festival in 1971 in which one of the attendees is sporting a dyed mohican - very much like a punk of 5 years later. Another correpondent pointed out that all that this proto-piunk had needed to do was watch `Taxi Driver`( or some other iconc film from the seventies) to get the inspiration for it.

It's always a mistake to set a strict specific date for the starting point of any fashion trend.

On the same lines, I have this memory of a sort of proto- Acid House Rave scene getting going in the early Eighties - circa 81/82! `Sounds` magazine kept on muttering about it, and there were some young dance bands based in London who talked of `psychedlia` and putting people into a trance with their dance music. It didn't really take off though and faded out...until the Nineties that is!

Does anyone else recall this - or am I confabulating?

Likewise, I remember a query in the hard copy `Fortean Times` which featured a photo from an Isle Of White rock festival in 1971 in which one of the attendees is sporting a dyed mohican - very much like a punk of 5 years later. Another correpondent pointed out that all that this proto-piunk had needed to do was watch `Taxi Driver`( or some other iconc film from the seventies) to get the inspiration for it.

Taxi Driver came out in 1976 - just about when punk as getting off the ground - but even without it it seems quite credible that someone wearing outre fashions earlier in the decade might have experimented with an outre hairstyle.

As you say:

It's always a mistake to set a strict specific date for the starting point of any fashion trend.

On the same lines, I have this memory of a sort of proto- Acid House Rave scene getting going in the early Eighties - circa 81/82! `Sounds` magazine kept on muttering about it, and there were some young dance bands based in London who talked of `psychedlia` and putting people into a trance with their dance music. It didn't really take off though and faded out...until the Nineties that is!

Does anyone else recall this - or am I confabulating?

I don't recall it, but it was a bit before my time. The acid house Summer of Love was 1988 I believe, so as with the fashions it seems probably others were experimenting with similar sounds a few years earlier.

I don't believe any of these people are time travellers; like Rosebud points out, how would mobiles even work without the infrastructure that supports them?

On the other hand, it does look like some of them are speaking into something their holding up to their ear, although some are more convincing than others (the French one is rubbish) and I do wonder what it was they were doing, although I could be persuaded it's all a matter of misperception and wishful thinking based on current experience and false interpretation :)

If people can time travel to the past, and assuming there was/is/will be any sensible reason to do so, why would they not erase every trace of themselves from (e.g.) photographs like this...just sayin'
:tumble:

Back