• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

What Did You Dream Of Last Night?

Kept meeting my old friend the elephant, who was always pleased to see me (as I them) and communicated to me with ultrasound, which I understood perfectly well.

This was the night before last, as it happens, and my recollection is getting fainter by the hour, but I had a dream that seemed to contain a sort of "greatest hits" of some of my most common dream elements, and had a couple of surprises to boot. so bear with me, though I worry that it'll seem a lot less interesting once I commit it to this thread.

I found myself on a journey, which began with me wearing skis. It wasn't snowy, as I recall, and these skis were somehow powered so that I could follow roads with no great difficulty, although there was some effort involved, a bit like riding a bike. My first recollection of this part of the dream was on a (real) street very close to my childhood home, and I remember overtaking a car which pulled up suddenly ahead of me (I think it pulled up because my skis had thrown some stones up against it when it earlier overtook me!). Shortly after that, I found myself in an unfamiliar town, and that's where it became a little more interesting...

By this time, I was definitely on a bike, riding through the shopping area of the town. While the town itself was unfamiliar to me, it felt quite nice - I was riding along a mostly pedestrianised area, snaking in and out of walkers whilst looking for interesting shops to explore. At one stage, I looked up and found I was about to collide with a couple (men, as it happened) who were walking towards me holding hands. Somehow, they managed to raise their arms to let me ride underneath, and I just had a chance to say "sorry guys!" before I was past them. Almost immediately after that, I passed a woman walking the other way with what I took to be her grown-up son, and this is the thing - right after passing her, I caught a definite whiff of her perfume. Oddly, I must have had some awareness, because I then remember thinking that I'd just shown that I could smell something in a dream!

I realise already that this all seems very mundane, so I'll get a move on... shortly thereafter, still on my bike (and still aware of the effort required to pedal it!), I rode down a small side road which contained some quaint shops and eateries. As I passed a pub, I looked and the sign and could clearly read it. Annoyingly, I can't now remember the name, but I was certain at the time that I'd been able to read in my dream. Again, this shows some awareness that I was dreaming, but not enough to be able to wake myself up.

Somewhat later, my dreaming self decided it was time to head home, so I tried for some time to find a road out of the town. I can't remember if I ever succeeded, or whether my dream stopped there, but I do remember a feeling that I then knew the name of the town - it was something like Weybridge or Wadebridge (I've just Googled those 2 real places, and both look very nice, but neither looks like my dream, for what that's worth).

In the morning, I was pleased to find that I'd written down quite a few more details of this dream, few of which made much sense.

Of course, I was still dreaming when I read my dream "diary", and in the real morning, I'd naturally written nothing at all, not least because I've never kept pen or paper by my bed! The only thing that I can remember reading from my first dream was the line "lever, lever, lever". No idea what that's supposed to mean, but then, I had been dreaming!

Had a nightmare recently where I was balancing on a paper pyramid (scalene) about a metre long, suspended in pitch darkness above an abyss. I wasn't sure if I had a parachute on or not, and there was a doorway in space above the pyramid, but I would have to step off to open it wide enough to get through. So I had to take a chance on falling backwards, in the knowledge that if I did have a 'chute, I wasn't sure how to operate it. Woke up in a cold sweat just as I lost my balance.

I had a good one this afternoon.

Me an my partner were on a train journey to a parallel universe with our cat, a man and three women. The man and the women were all about a generation older than us, so in their sixties. They had all done this before and in a strange way I think I might have too.

The train entered a tunnel and suddenly we were all in single file seats. It then started tipping up until it was going vertically upwards. As it ascended, it was as if the whole train was being hoisted up on a chain and I felt a slight feeling of dread, the same as you might feel in an elevator when you think about the cables holding you up.

I was worried about my partner in the seat behind in that I hoped she wouldn't panic as anyone leaving their seat would fall a long way to the end of the carriage. She didn't move but our cat decided to have a wander about at this point. I was feeling down and behind my seat and got tactile 'glimpses' of the cat but nothing definite - another worry.

Next thing I know I am awakening at the next train stop to ours. It's daylight now and the seats are back to normal. I go to the older people that we set out with and ask them what happened.

We spent two nights in a parallel universe resort but I have no memory of it at all. They go off to find a photo album of pics they took to show me what we got up to. End of.

Had an awful nightmare that there'd been some kind of contamination at work so that some of my colleagues and I had radiation poisoning and were slowly dying of it. We were all working as usual but knew that soon our hair and teeth would fall out and we'd be really sick and bleed from every orifice an' all sorts.

It was all a big secret and nobody was supposed to talk about it. I wondered if we were infecting other people by carrying on working. Sharing food was dangerous. I watched with disapproval a tray of sandwiches being passed around, full of radiation.

Eventually I started waking up and had a bit of sleep paralysis which I naturally interpreted as dying. Luckily Techy appeared in the nick of time with a nice brew.

Frisbees, not Space Hoppers.

Didn't we learn last week that Space Hoppers are actually men who like to artificially enlarge their scrotums to ridiculous dimensions?

Didn't we learn last week that Space Hoppers are actually men who like to artificially enlarge their scrotums to ridiculous dimensions?

I think I'd be back to waking up in a cold sweat if I saw one of those in my dreams.

Standing in a field with someone who I seemed to know but can't recall now watching and old, metallic twin propeller plane which was painted a pretty shade of blue taking off and flying impossibly slow away from us. I seem to recall our youngest son was on it and travelling to a town not too far from where we live.

I have had trouble remembering my dreams ever since I posted in this thread about a kitten dream. I was beginning to wonder if there was some strange block at work, then yesterday I remembered a dream again. Apologies for it not being "last night".

I was talking with a mother about taking care of her young daughter for "3 days at a time". The little girl (around 5-6 years old) and her mother and I agreed between us that every three days the girl would decide if she wanted to spend another three days in my care or return to her mother.

In another house, me and some friends were living rough and we put the little girl into a large cupboard drawer to sleep, there was also a baby boy asleep in the drawer (It felt like the little girl's younger brother) and I took off my shirt to lay over him and keep him warm.

Outside, a battle was taking place, modern-ish warfare with soldiers, gunshots and artillery fire all around. The house was in the crossfire. A bomber plane was overhead, flying low and strafing the house.

I ran around the house trying to avoid all the bullets and shrapnel that flew everywhere. I ran to check on the children in the drawer and they were unharmed.

A loud keening noise began overhead and I went to the window and saw the bomber plane loom past, far too close and far too low and out of control. It went out of sight and crashed just beyond the house in a terrible explosion.

Last edited:
If it was possible to take a tablet of maybe some minor surgical procedure that would guarantee that you would never dream again, would you take it.

INT21

No, because dreams are integral to your physical and mental health.

I'm assuming that the 'treatment ' has taken that into account.

INT21.

a recent dream informed by way too many US off-colour comedy flicks

fortean rookie and i have picked up on a little known american comedy actor, matty cardarople, who had small parts in drillbit taylor and ... logan lucky ... she follows his instagram and we regularly check his latest endeavours online ... its like a personal joke ...

anyway one night last week i dreamt we were at our local cinema, watching a crummy american comedy and he appeared onscreen in typical fashion as some bit player ... fortean sidekick then starts to heckle the screen from where we re sat ... "Mangina ! Mangina !" over and over (a reference to Step Brothers) at the top of her lungs ...

i woke up physically convulsing with laughter, genuinely could not stop, and i had the impression id been laughing in my sleep a while too

not sure what it all means

Dreamt that several large parcels had been delivered to my house by accident, and I'd left them on the bench so I could take them to the post office up the street when I had the time to do so...

My garden in my dreams sometimes stretches to absurd lengths, leading to sand dunes and the seashore even though we live nowhere near the sea.

Last night I dreamed that Techy and I were strolling in our infinitely-long garden. It was winter and there was a row of dead-looking trees. I wondered if they needed coming down and looked up, noticing that it was sunset and the sky was changing colour very prettily.

At this point a peacock flew past.

It was mainly red rather than blue and green and seemed lit up. It soared around, tail spread out spectacularly, while I pointed at it and told Techy excitedly 'Look! It'a a peacock!'

Techy was sceptical and wouldn't look so I urged him to see the peacock before it flew off.

Dunno what this is about but in my job I often look out at lovely skies and sunsets, and about 30 years ago a peacock did indeed escape from a nearby farm and roost on a neighbour's roof. So I know for sure that they can fly although I didn't see it moving that time. Haven't come across any lately though.

Wassat then?

I was trying to cross a busy road within busy roads with heavy traffic hurtling past on every side, massive lorries bearing down on me. Me and another man stepped off the kerb at the same time and three identical lorries jackknifed in an effort to avoid me, I thought I was about to die. Then suddenly this man halted all the traffic instantly, he moved and manipulated the trajectory of every vehicle in sight and our death was completely avoided. The man then stood upon one of the halted lorries and gave a little speech about something I have forgotten. Unsure how to describe all that in a few words gave birth to the phrase "lorry magician".

My garden in my dreams sometimes stretches to absurd lengths, leading to sand dunes and the seashore even though we live nowhere near the sea.

Last night I dreamed that Techy and I were strolling in our infinitely-long garden. It was winter and there was a row of dead-looking trees. I wondered if they needed coming down and looked up, noticing that it was sunset and the sky was changing colour very prettily.

At this point a peacock flew past.

It was mainly red rather than blue and green and seemed lit up. It soared around, tail spread out spectacularly, while I pointed at it and told Techy excitedly 'Look! It'a a peacock!'

Techy was sceptical and wouldn't look so I urged him to see the peacock before it flew off.

Dunno what this is about but in my job I often look out at lovely skies and sunsets, and about 30 years ago a peacock did indeed escape from a nearby farm and roost on a neighbour's roof. So I know for sure that they can fly although I didn't see it moving that time. Haven't come across any lately though.
I had thought they were flightless, but I just checked. I had no idea! Maybe the owners clip their wing feathers to stop them flying off?

I had thought they were flightless, but I just checked. I had no idea! Maybe the owners clip their wing feathers to stop them flying off?

Yup, they can fly so their wings must be clipped if people want to keep them. The one that lived near me mustn't have had that done because it would fly off now and then. It always went home though and its owners didn't worry. It would have been an impressive sight in full flap!

If it was possible to take a tablet of maybe some minor surgical procedure that would guarantee that you would never dream again, would you take it.

INT21
Interesting question....sometimes I enjoy my dreams and then other times they are unnerving.....so it's 50/50.

Yup, they can fly so their wings must be clipped if people want to keep them. The one that lived near me mustn't have had that done because it would fly off now and then. It always went home though and its owners didn't worry. It would have been an impressive sight in full flap!

I used to watch the peacocks in Rajasthan, India when I was there. Their wonderful calls would sound across the desert sands.

I found some vids of a peacock in flight for you:

Last edited:
Here's an odd one for you folks....

I'm contemplating a big move. I telecommute for work, so really, the only requirement is that I have access to decent internet. The world is my oyster, but I'm planning to stay within about 5 hours of my current living situation (mostly because moving across the states scares the crap out of me for now).

I've been looking and researching on where I want to live. I want a nice, idyllic sort of small town that I can rent a house on the outskirts of, so I'm surrounded by nature but can hike in to get basic supplies and such.

So last night I had a dream. I was walking into this nice little town and I found myself thinking, "This would be a perfect place to settle down in...I wonder what the rental market is like?"

The only thing, besides the general look of "just outside of town" as I walked in, was that I was walking towards a park. I know how uncommon it is to be able to read words in a dream, but the name of the park on the sign said "Paid Park". I did some mental gymnastics to justify the name while I walked towards it and thought, "Oh, obviously it's named that because tax-payers' money *paid* for it".

I awoke and am still searching online to see if a park that has a similar name exists anywhere remotely close to me, just in case that dream happened for a reason. I found myself wondering if I could have actually dreamed of a real place.

Now, to clarify, ever since I was old enough to remember my dreams, I've never actually dreamed of a real place...it's always an avatar of sorts. I have a dream-world that I visit regularly and there are avatars of certain cities (that are nothing like the actual cities) just as there are avatars of people (y'know, I know that's my friend "S", but he looks nothing like him in real life).

I took a little nap this afternoon and did actually dream of my real room in my current apartment, mess and all. I don't call it astral projecting, as I was affecting things in the room, opening drawers and so on. During that dream, I kept thinking how excited I was to move and how I'd have to get some new furniture and artwork to actually fill out a house.

I almost wonder if I had the second dream because I was wondering if the first dream was a real place (since I never dream of those) and the universe was like, "Dude, you can/did totally dream of a real place...here....".

Thoughts?

'Paid Park' is a phrase most commonly used to designate a place (or parking area) you must pay to access or use.

I do not remember my dreams even though I must have them. Sometimes I'm sure I don't dream at all. But if I have a nightmare and that's rare I can usually remember that for only about an hour from waking and at that point I will realise I've had that one before and then promptly forget.

Back