• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.
This Alaskan surveyor was startled to find himself within 30 feet of a brown bear while working in the field. The bear attacked, chomped on the man's head twice, and then walked away. Luckily, the man was able to call for help, though he had to wait where he lay for about an hour until it arrived. All the details are in the full story (linked below).
10 seconds of terror: Alaska man survives brown bear mauling

Allen Minish was alone and surveying land for a real estate agent in a wooded, remote part of Alaska, putting some numbers into his GPS unit when he looked up and saw a large brown bear walking about 30 feet away.

“I saw him and he saw me at the same time, and it’s scary,” he said by phone Wednesday from his hospital bed in Anchorage, a day after being mauled by the bear in a chance encounter.

The mauling left Minish with a crushed jaw, a puncture wound in his scalp so deep the doctor told him he could see bone, lacerations and many stitches after a 4½-hour surgery. He also is wearing a patch over his right eye, saying the doctors are worried about it. ...
FULL STORY (With Photo of Minish's Injuries): https://apnews.com/article/alaska-bears-5448550d7cc7d770a898029f5d26cbcf

This Alaskan surveyor was startled to find himself within 30 feet of a brown bear while working in the field. The bear attacked, chomped on the man's head twice, and then walked away. Luckily, the man was able to call for help, though he had to wait where he lay for about an hour until it arrived. All the details are in the full story (linked below).

FULL STORY (With Photo of Minish's Injuries): https://apnews.com/article/alaska-bears-5448550d7cc7d770a898029f5d26cbcf
“That’s the one lesson learned,” he said. “I should have had somebody with me.”

'OK, I'm off to the wilds for the day, wanna tag along?'
'Sure, love to. Where exactly are we going?'
'That place with the brown bears, you remember, I got mauled.'
'.....................................................right................'

I saw this footage on the BBC and they described it as the Bear attacking the Dog's, in fairness it looked to me like the Bear was protecting its cubs from the dogs. I doubt the Bear was looking at the dogs as a meal.

I saw this footage on the BBC and they described it as the Bear attacking the Dog's, in fairness it looked to me like the Bear was protecting its cubs from the dogs. I doubt the Bear was looking at the dogs as a meal.
But im sure it would had killed the dogs in order to protect its cubs

Of course it would I was just saying that it appeared (to me anyway) that the article appeared to be saying that the Bear was deliberately targeting the dogs rather than it just came across them as it was trying to get somewhere else with its cubs.

Fun loving bear shot dead.

A wild brown bear on the loose all night in a city in northern Japan wounded four people, entered a military camp and disrupted flights at the airport before being shot and killed by authorities.

The bear was seen wandering through the streets of Sapporo in the early hours of Friday, triggering a number of calls to police.

Over the next eight hours, Hokkaido prefectural police said the bear injured a woman in her 80s, a man in his 70s and a man in his 40s before attacking a soldier.

Police said the condition of those injured was not known, but the Asahi newspaper reported that the man in his 40s suffered serious injuries to his chest, back and limbs after he was mauled by the bear while walking on the street.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/world/arid-40316990.html

The Japanese have always been fearful of bears.

If they were smart they would be. They actually have very little respect for bears.

Bear Markets: Japan summary of the findings of:
‘Japan’s illegal trade in bear products:
A threat to bears worldwide published by Japan
Wildlife Conservation Society (JWCS), February 2002.

Authors: Kumi Togawa, Masayuki Sakamoto
Contributor: Chie Iijima

Japan is one of the biggest consumer countries of bear gall and bile – there is virtually no
regulation in the current Japanese legislation to restrict domestic trade in bear gall bladders..
There are 2,000-3,000 brown bears in Hokkaido, the northern Japanese island, and about 7,000
black bears in the other areas of Japan. Populations of both species are declining as their habitats
are destroyed and fragmented. In Japan, over a thousand bears are killed annually for sport
hunting and pest control, without the implementation of proper conservation control measures. In
bear parks, bears are kept in inappropriate conditions, and some parks sell bear products, including
gall bladders.
International trade regulations covering bears were strengthened in the early 1990s, but smuggling
illegal bear products into Japan continues.

https://www.worldanimalprotection.c...ia/ca_-_en_files/bearbilejapan_tcm22-2713.pdf

Payback really is a bitch.

Payback really is a bitch.
I’m not sure that the -

“…man in his 40s [who] suffered serious injuries to his chest, back and limbs after he was mauled by the bear…”

- would agree with your sentiments.

maximus otter

I’m not sure that the -

“…man in his 40s [who] suffered serious injuries to his chest, back and limbs after he was mauled by the bear…”

- would agree with your sentiments.

maximus otter

Would you think differently if the offending bear was an escapee from one of the many that are tortured daily in a bear bile farm?

The bile can be harvested using several techniques, all of which require some degree of surgery, and may leave a permanent fistula or inserted catheter. A significant proportion of the bears die because of the stress of unskilled surgery or the infections which may occur.

Farmed bile bears are housed continuously in small cages which often prevent them from standing or sitting upright, or from turning around. These highly restrictive cage systems and the low level of skilled husbandry can lead to a wide range of welfare concerns including physical injuries, pain, severe mental stress and muscle atrophy. Some bears are caught as cubs and may be kept in these conditions for up to 30 years.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bile_bear

I wouldn’t think any other thing than This Bear Is Chewing Me To Pieces.
Like s Streetcar Named Desire, I am less interested in character motivation.

Swifty would have punched that bear out if it ran amok in Cromer.

Honestly, I probably would feel sorry for it even if I were injured. In this case it sounds like it was just a random wild bear but if it had come from one of those bile bear farms... *shudders* they're absolutely vile and barbaric places.

She's lucky to be alive.

An Illinois woman has been charged with disturbing wildlife after she was filmed approaching a grizzly bear in Yellowstone National Park.

A widely shared video showed Samantha Dehring approaching the bear and two cubs to take a photograph. Ms Dehring only walks away after the mother bear runs at her. She now faces several charges, as well as "violating closures and use limits". Park visitors are forbidden from coming closer than 300 feet from bears.

Ms Dehring was among a group of tourists that encountered the female grizzly and her cubs in the Roaring Mountain section of park on 15 May. Witnesses later told investigators that she ignored warnings to return to the group's vehicles until the bear charged at her.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-58020967

Best not to sleep in a dumpster near Lake Tahoe, you don't just have to worry about ending up in a refuse truck; a bear might join you.

A California man has filed a lawsuit after he was injured trying to flee from a bear that surprised him in a dumpster while he was visiting Lake Tahoe.

John Donaldson is seeking $15,000 in damages from a condominium association and waste management company for injuries he said he suffered in the encounter at a condo complex in the Incline Village area, which has long had problems with bears breaking into homes, cars and garbage cans in search of food.

Donaldson, who had rented a cottage in the area with his wife, was out for a walk with his dog in September 2019 and went to throw a bag of dog waste into the dumpster. According to the lawsuit filed with Nevada’s second judicial court, when Donaldson opened the dumpster, he was startled by the bear, who began coming toward him, and he stumbled, twisting his left leg and ankle, and fell on to his back.

He later required surgery for a torn Achilles tendon as well as spinal surgery because of injuries he suffered in the fall, Donaldson claims in the lawsuit, which was first reported by the Bay Area News Group. The suit alleges that the latch on the dumpster was defective and that it did not shut automatically as it was supposed to, giving bears access to the dumpster, and that it had been broken for months.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2021/aug/17/john-donaldson-bear-dumpster-lawsuit

Didn't know where to put this story.

It struck me as interesting not only for the cause of death, but that someone found a bear carcass (which, to cryptozoologists, is like an urban legend).

Canada: mountain goat kills attacking grizzly bear with ‘dagger-like’ horns​

Forensic necropsy of a female grizzly bear suggests she was killed by a goat, after the horns pierced the bear’s armpits and neck
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/sep/20/canada-mountain-goat-grizzly-bear
The remains of the bear, who weighed only 70kg (154lb) and isn’t believed to have had any cubs, was discovered on 4 September by a hiker, close to the Burgess Pass trail near Field, British Columbia. The carcass was airlifted out later that day over worries it could attract other predators.

She's lucky to be alive.

An Illinois woman has been charged with disturbing wildlife after she was filmed approaching a grizzly bear in Yellowstone National Park.

A widely shared video showed Samantha Dehring approaching the bear and two cubs to take a photograph. Ms Dehring only walks away after the mother bear runs at her. She now faces several charges, as well as "violating closures and use limits". Park visitors are forbidden from coming closer than 300 feet from bears.

Ms Dehring was among a group of tourists that encountered the female grizzly and her cubs in the Roaring Mountain section of park on 15 May. Witnesses later told investigators that she ignored warnings to return to the group's vehicles until the bear charged at her.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-58020967

Fined, jailed, probation and banned from Yellowstone.

A woman was jailed for four days after getting too close to a grizzly bear and two cubs in Yellowstone national park and refusing to move away, even as the animal charged.

Samantha Dehring, 25 and from Illinois, pleaded guilty to “willfully remaining, approaching and photographing wildlife within 100 yards”, federal authorities said, following the incident in May.

A video of the interaction shows Dehring taking photos of the grizzly and two cubs as other visitors retreat to their cars, the bear then “bluff” charging her before moving away.

Visitors to the vast Yellowstone national park are prohibited from getting within 100 yards of a bear, feeding a bear or approaching it to take pictures.

The US justice department said that in addition to prison time, Dehring was ordered to pay a $1,000 fine and a $1,000 community service payment to a wildlife protection fund and to carry out one year of unsupervised probation. She was also banned from Yellowstone, an ecosystem that spans Wyoming, Idaho and Montana, for a year.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2021/oct/09/yellowstone-grizzly-bear-us-woman-jailed3790903

This extensive presentation by the famous North American Youtube hunter 'MeatEater' is worth watching. I've a huge respect for bears (no, I lie, I've an utter fear of them, having seen & smelt them from a safe distance in Canada).

If you think you could cope with a bear attack - you're almost certainly wrong.

Reactions: Jim
A lucky escape.

A cyclist confronted and bitten by a 500lb bear while out riding in Alaska told authorities he yelled at and kicked the animal as it ran after him, along a riverbed.

The incident last Tuesday occurred in Cantwell, close to the intersection between the Jack and Nenana rivers, the Alaska department of public safety said.

According to the unidentified man’s report to the police, he saw a brown bear 10 to 15 yards away and running towards him. He jumped off his bike and started to yell.

“Just prior to the bear making contact, the victim fell to the ground and on to his back, covered his head and believes he kicked at the bear,” authorities said. “The bear made contact and bit the victim’s lower right leg, just below his knee. The bear made one contact and one bite, then immediately retreated into the vegetation the same way it approached. After the bear left the area, [the cyclist] walked to the highway and called a friend for a ride.”

The man was carrying a firearm but did not fire it. He said he did not notice anything out of the ordinary before the attack, but did say he noticed bear tracks in the snow.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2021/oct/26/cyclist-bear-attack-alaska

Recent research in Sweden demonstrates brown bears vary in how predatory they are when arousing from hibernation and perhaps how they behave year round.
Brown bear wakes up from hibernation and kills 38 reindeer calves

A "highly predatory" brown bear woke up from hibernation and killed 38 reindeer calves in a single month, then 18 young moose the next month, according to a new study.

The unnamed 13-year-old female was one of 15 brown bears researchers tracked in northern Sweden to understand how the bears use their landscape. They found that the bears change habitats to target reindeer and moose calves in spring. The exact spaces bears occupied varied depending on how many calves they hunted, with some bears like the unnamed female killing more than others.

Why are some bears more predatory? "It must be a combination of different factors," study co-author Antonio Uzal Fernandez, a senior lecturer in wildlife conservation at Nottingham Trent University in the U.K., told Live Science ... , "such as innate behaviour related to personality (for instance, some people are more aggressive than others)."

The researchers don't indicate these "highly predatory" bears pose anymore of a threat to humans. ...
FULL STORY: https://www.livescience.com/highly-predatory-brown-bear-kills-38-reindeer

PUBLISHED STUDY (Abstract): https://www.mdpi.com/1424-2818/13/12/678

Recent research in Sweden demonstrates brown bears vary in how predatory they are when arousing from hibernation and perhaps how they behave year round.

FULL STORY: https://www.livescience.com/highly-predatory-brown-bear-kills-38-reindeer

PUBLISHED STUDY (Abstract): https://www.mdpi.com/1424-2818/13/12/678

There's some other things I'd like to know, for instance, how does she bring herself in and out of hibernation so frequently and is this a learned behavior? Bears cubs stay with mom for a couple years, perhaps her mother taught her this behavior. Or maybe it is simply just a case of adapting to environmental change? Survival of the fittest?

There's some other things I'd like to know, for instance, how does she bring herself in and out of hibernation so frequently ...

The bears tracked in the study weren't going in and out of hibernation. The study data was collected from tagged bears during the 3-month period starting when they normally emerge from hibernation each year (i.e., April through June).

The bears tracked in the study weren't going in and out of hibernation. The study data was collected from tagged bears during the 3-month period starting when they normally emerge from hibernation each year (i.e., April through June).
Sorry, I don't know why I read it the way I did.

That is strange. I was thinking that they or she were eating meat because there are not a lot of insects, berries and nuts available in winter. I know bears eat meat and even hunt it down, but not usually as a staple for their dietary intake.

Back