• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Weird IHTM Tales From Reddit & Other Sites

Reddit Paranormal is either really scraping the bottom of the barrel. This was posted today - to be fair the poster does mention that it's 'probaly just lens flare' - but if this is what the US thinks passes for 'paranormal' they would absolutely EXORCISE themselves over my mysterious creaky floorboards in a 200 year old cottage!

PS - it's lens flare. In fact, it's just light effects, and doesn't look remotely paranormal.
I find Reddit to be a VERY poor site at the best of times, Not much of an intelligent discussion to be found on that platform.

I find Reddit to be a VERY poor site at the best of times, Not much of an intelligent discussion to be found on that platform.
The paranormal subs are pretty poor but others are good if you know what to look for. I've had some sound car advice form there!

Ha Ha Og. First time it happened to me was when I was around 12. I was home alone and the main light in the living room switched itself on. Like Mrs DT all those years later, I also left the house and walked the streets until my Mum came home from work. :)

My Dad is/was an Electrician by trade, and he later told me it was complexly normal.
When I first moved to the London area (I had lived in flat/houseshares before but had not ever experienced this), I moved into a fairly newly built estate, renting a studio flat. I kept finding the kettle had switched itself on/boiled the water already when I went to make a coffee. I thought it was me being absent minded. But eventually I actually witnessed it clicking itself on on a number of occasions. It was weird.

I wondered if it was connected to being right next to the railway line (and train station) in some way?

It never behaved this way in any of the other flats I lived in.

You have to look around and bear in mind that most of the users are American. I tend to stick to the UK subs, and the more humorous ones at that, and those are fine. There can be the odd poster who gets a bee in their bonnet, but if know where to go, as @escargot says, you can get some constructive help.

Not as good as here, obviously, though.

When I first moved to the London area (I had lived in flat/houseshares before but had not ever experienced this), I moved into a fairly newly built estate, renting a studio flat. I kept finding the kettle had switched itself on/boiled the water already when I went to make a coffee. I thought it was me being absent minded. But eventually I actually witnessed it clicking itself on on a number of occasions. It was weird.

I wondered if it was connected to being right next to the railway line (and train station) in some way?

That must be something to do with the proximity of the train station I reckon. Although that does lead me onto a fortean story once told to me many years ago by the dad of a mate of mine. The reason I believe him is because he (the dad) is a very old fashioned east ender, who would have clobbered me for “taking the piss” if I had told him the same story.

His real name is Tony, but for reasons I don’t know of everyone called him Laddie (even his own kids lol)

Some years ago, Laddie sold his ex-Hoxton council flat for a tidy profit, and decided to buy a home somewhere outside of London – Waltham cross I think it was. The flat he eventually bought was in a modern complex and was built on the site of the town’s cinema.

As soon as he moved in strange things would happen. The kettle would switch itself on and off, and thinking it faulty he bought a new one only for the same thing to happen. The kitchen light would be on each morning even though he knew he had switched it off before he went to bed, and sometimes the microwave would turn itself on even though he would nowhere near the kitchen – he got into the habit of leaving the microwave door open so it couldn’t start. He got an electrician in who completed some checks, but all was fine.

One morning Laddie was leaving for work when he got chatting to a neighbour. The neighbour asked, “if he’d seen old Mary yet.?” Laddie assumed that Mary was a tenant of the flats, but the neighbour explained that Mary was the flats residents’ ghost, and that most of the tenants have seen her. Not believing such “rubbish” Laddie said goodbye and went off to work.

Two nights later Laddie was at home watching TV, when he decided to make himself a cup of coffee. He opened the living room door, which led onto the hallway and standing there was in his own words “ a statue like what you might see in a graveyard, but shiny like it was made out of porcelain, definitely female, about six foot tall, and just inches from my face”. “It stood there staring at me for about 3-4 seconds, when it went whoosh up the hallway before disappearing”.

Now that Laddies story not mine, and the reason I believe him are given above. He is probably the most down to earth no-nonsense person I have ever met. He still lives in the same flat, but to my knowledge he has never seen the apparition since.

That flat was haunted by the ghost of Mrs Doyle.

mrs doyle.gif

That must be something to do with the proximity of the train station I reckon. Although that does lead me onto a fortean story once told to me many years ago by the dad of a mate of mine. The reason I believe him is because he (the dad) is a very old fashioned east ender, who would have clobbered me for “taking the piss” if I had told him the same story.

His real name is Tony, but for reasons I don’t know of everyone called him Laddie (even his own kids lol)

Some years ago, Laddie sold his ex-Hoxton council flat for a tidy profit, and decided to buy a home somewhere outside of London – Waltham cross I think it was. The flat he eventually bought was in a modern complex and was built on the site of the town’s cinema.

As soon as he moved in strange things would happen. The kettle would switch itself on and off, and thinking it faulty he bought a new one only for the same thing to happen. The kitchen light would be on each morning even though he knew he had switched it off before he went to bed, and sometimes the microwave would turn itself on even though he would nowhere near the kitchen – he got into the habit of leaving the microwave door open so it couldn’t start. He got an electrician in who completed some checks, but all was fine.

One morning Laddie was leaving for work when he got chatting to a neighbour. The neighbour asked, “if he’d seen old Mary yet.?” Laddie assumed that Mary was a tenant of the flats, but the neighbour explained that Mary was the flats residents’ ghost, and that most of the tenants have seen her. Not believing such “rubbish” Laddie said goodbye and went off to work.

Two nights later Laddie was at home watching TV, when he decided to make himself a cup of coffee. He opened the living room door, which led onto the hallway and standing there was in his own words “ a statue like what you might see in a graveyard, but shiny like it was made out of porcelain, definitely female, about six foot tall, and just inches from my face”. “It stood there staring at me for about 3-4 seconds, when it went whoosh up the hallway before disappearing”.

Now that Laddies story not mine, and the reason I believe him are given above. He is probably the most down to earth no-nonsense person I have ever met. He still lives in the same flat, but to my knowledge he has never seen the apparition since.

Great story DT, interesting that the spook in question looked like/was a statue. Most of the time they look like real people.

Did he tell you if anyone else saw her manifest the same way?

Great story DT, interesting that the spook in question looked like/was a statue. Most of the time they look like real people.

Did he tell you if anyone else saw her manifest the same way?

I have no idea to be honest Og. I was told the story over 20 years ago, and although I know the dad still lives in the same flat, my mate had a major bust up with him and they haven't spoken in years. That seems silly to me. Life is too short for that.

…I actually witnessed it clicking itself on on a number of occasions. It was weird.

Minor examples of similar behaviour from my experience:

a) ln what we grandly call the “computer room”, l keep a small, free-standing electric fan heater near my tower PC.

Often, when l click on the heater, the - spark? EMP? - will cause the PC to start up, even though they aren't connected.

b) Years ago, when my local took delivery of the then cutting-edge computer game Galaxians, punters found that by clicking a piezoelectric lighter beside the game, the machine would rack up free plays.

maximus otter

a) ln what we grandly call the “computer room”, l keep a small, free-standing electric fan heater near my tower PC.

Often, when l click on the heater, the - spark? EMP? - will cause the PC to start up, even though they aren't connected.

b) Years ago, when my local took delivery of the then cutting-edge computer game Galaxians, punters found that by clicking a piezoelectric lighter beside the game, the machine would rack up free plays.

maximus otter

So you literally switch on the heater and the computer "boots" as if the start button has been pressed and held down for a second? - That's how most PCs and laptops are started in my experience.

I think every single kettle I've used in the UK has had small "lever" that is pushed down to switch on, clicking upwards into the original position when reaching boiling point - or a few seconds afterwards. @Earthly oddity did you ever see the lever move or hear it "click"? Presumably if it did so that is more likely to be anomalous than vibrations from the train stations somehow engaging the electrics?

maximus otter
Probably the spike in voltage on the circuit line causing the PSU to start up, When you go onto BIOS is the " loss of power" setting set to ON or OFF?

Speak. English.

;)

maximus otter
Sorry, When your PC starts it's possible to enter what we call BIOS ( Basic Input/Output System ) this is where you can change your PC: power, start-up, and hardware settings). If you are not familiar with using BIOS I wouldn't try and change anything ( a wrong change could lead to serious hardware damage to your PC).

So you literally switch on the heater and the computer "boots" as if the start button has been pressed and held down for a second? - That's how most PCs and laptops are started in my experience.

I think every single kettle I've used in the UK has had small "lever" that is pushed down to switch on, clicking upwards into the original position when reaching boiling point - or a few seconds afterwards. @Earthly oddity did you ever see the lever move or hear it "click"? Presumably if it did so that is more likely to be anomalous than vibrations from the train stations somehow engaging the electrics?
I heard it boil - I must have heard it click on.....It was a frequent occurence I got used to.

It popped on a few times when I was in the main room, when I was in the kitchen itself and hadn't switched it on. It probably did it when I went in the bathroom. It was normal in that flat for it to switch on by itself.....

I think I used to unplug it in the end if I was going out just in case something bad happened.....I only stayed in the flat 6 months. I found another odd flat to move to, after lots of problems with the flat/landlady....

I heard it boil - I must have heard it click on.....It was a frequent occurence I got used to.

It popped on a few times when I was in the main room, when I was in the kitchen itself and hadn't switched it on. It probably did it when I went in the bathroom. It was normal in that flat for it to switch on by itself.....

I think I used to unplug it in the end if I was going out just in case something bad happened.....I only stayed in the flat 6 months. I found another odd flat to move to, after lots of problems with the flat/landlady....

So you can't swear that it did "click" on/off as it were? You definitely heard and witnessed the boiling but not necessarily the click? So it could have been vibrations that caused the contacts/electrics (sorry, don't know the correct terminology) to engage?

So you can't swear that it did "click" on/off as it were? You definitely heard and witnessed the boiling but not necessarily the click? So it could have been vibrations that caused the contacts/electrics (sorry, don't know the correct terminology) to engage?
To be honest I can't remember 100%. It was some years ago now....:) OMG - over 26 years ago..... :omg:

I don't think I wanted to think it was a spook.....I think even if it was clicking, it might have been something to do with the nearby railway signals/electrics in the flat or vibrations.

Last edited:
"& Other Sites," eh?

This probably was posted several times at the forum (maybe in this thread, maybe by myself), but just to be sure:

https://www.fairyist.com/survey/

The Fairy Census is an attempt to gather, scientifically, the details of as many fairy sightings from the last century as possible and to measure, in an associated survey, contemporary attitudes to fairies. The census was inspired by an earlier fairy census carried out by Marjorie Johnson and Alasdair Alpin MacGregor in 1955/1956 [...].

There are 500 accounts published (with personal details removed) here:
http://www.fairyist.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/10/The-Fairy-Census-2014-2017-1.pdf
And here a copy on the Internet Archive, if the site dies in the future

Eventually later reports, after 2017, are going to be published. The reports were gathered online by Simon Young; he publishes the column Fairies, folklore and Forteana at Fortean Times.

That's interesting as there is a theory that the 'Bold Street' timeslip case in Liverpool may be something to do with the nearby railway.
And having lived near to Liverpool in the past, visiting Bold Street regularly (in fact the first Fortean Times I bought was in a branch of Forbidden Planet on Bold Street) - I wish I had seen a timeslip there.....

I think someone had told me about the concentric circles of the underground railway lines though.....

Thank you for posting that link, what strange stories! Does this mean that the past is still living on, and that we can step into it from time to time? And that theory about 'magnetic fields' in the area is also very interesting, supposedly strange things happen in 'magnetic' areas, such as the Bermuda Triangle and such.
I'm wondering how that woman who purchased baby items in a store long closed, could physically have those items?

Thank you for posting that link, what strange stories! Does this mean that the past is still living on, and that we can step into it from time to time? And that theory about 'magnetic fields' in the area is also very interesting, supposedly strange things happen in 'magnetic' areas, such as the Bermuda Triangle and such.
I'm wondering how that woman who purchased baby items in a store long closed, could physically have those items?

I would like to refer you to the excerlent thread on here

https://forums.forteana.org/index.php?threads/time-or-dimensional-slips.13755/

Back