• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Whatever Happened To Lord Lucan?

Having read up a bit more, I think I can explain a few of the apparent discrepancies

These links are from Neil Berrimans website. Annoyingly there are some pages missing but they still give some extra detail.
www.lordlucanthetruth.com
Confidential+2002+Lucan+Police+report.pdf (squarespace.com)
ORIGINAL+LADY+LUCAN+STATEMENT.pdf (squarespace.com)

The tea cups and saucers - According to Lady Lucan's statement, Ms Rivett had taken a dirty set downstairs with her to make a fresh pot. That makes sense and clears that up.

According to police analysis, the blood in the basement was mostly Ms Rivetts, apart from a couple of samples from the kitchen floor and the mailbag which matched with Lady Lucan. This is a bit strange unless things didn't quite happen as Lady Lucan remembered - very possible since she suffered some pretty severe injuries to the head.

Lady Lucan had five lacerations to the scull (sic throughout) and the forehead. They were deep and jagged and in places as deep as the scull. It is also possible that these wounds were caused by the weapon found at the scene. If Lady Lucan had received these wounds to the rear of the head, they may have been fatal. She also had lacerations on the inside of her mouth.

Now, even if, for the sake of fairness we exclude Lady Lucan's testimony, Lord Lucan had been acting increasingly unhinged and terrorising not only his wife but the nannies. Hiring private detectives to follow them, making weird phone calls and bringing pills to a pharmacist to have them identified (what was that about?). This is all from the Wikipedia page. Astonishingly, he did indeed have a key to the house which is mentioned in the 2002 police report.

Here is what may have happened. Lord Lucan let himself into the house and removed the bulb from the basement light. Ms Rivett comes down with the teacups. He wasn't expecting her to be there but never mind, he is "Lucky" after all and she deserves to be killed too due to the influence she has on his children. He hears Lady Lucan coming down from upstairs and runs up to ambush her. He murders her too (he thinks), then goes back downstairs to continue dealing with Ms Rivett's body, contaminating the scene with Lady Lucan's blood. He goes back upstairs only to find that Lady Lucan isn't as dead as he thought. Maybe it is a bit harder to murder someone who is sitting up and talking to you, who knows? Anyway, he is all murdered out at this point and she survives. His words to Lady Lucan were:-

I said Where's Sandra? And at first he said "she's gone out". I persisted in asking this question and suddenly he said "I've killed her, she came down first, if it had been you, you would have got it."

It sounds as if he knew perfectly well who he was murdering and didn't much mind.

The other discrepancies are a parking attendant at the Clermont club claiming to have seen him at 9pm (pretty much the exact time of the murder) in his Mercedes. Lucan asked him who was present and then drove off. The Mercedes was found after the murder with a cool engine and a flat battery. Lucan could have easily bribed the parking attendant to say that.

This only leaves the second lead pipe which I still find a bit strange. Though who knows, maybe he made one pipe up and put it in the boot, forgot it was there and made up another? As previously noted, this is not an ordered mind.

No.

I dont think a disturbed mind could think up a viable escape plan.

I think he comited suicide.
Us forteans do find the Lord Lucan saga fascinating don’t we.

I have read a couple of books on the subject over the years – I found the book by that Retired detective, that Lucan was living in Goa, and going by the name of Jungle Barry interesting, but I think that theory was debunked a few years after the book came out.

I don’t wish to speak ill of the dead, but a good friend of mine’s wife was the Lucan’s nanny directly before poor Sandra Rivett, and was on personal terms with them both. He told me that she was a very disturbed person and drove the Lord mad at times – not that’s an excuse for murder of course.

My friend’s theory is that Lucan’s powerful friends (Goldsmith etc) arranged for him to be got out of the country soon after the murder. In his opinion there was no way that Lucan would have committed suicide.

But folk have looked for him nigh on 50 years.

I dont think a personality like him would be a good hider, even if he had a viable escape plan.
That’s why the tale interests us so much. It would have made a great film, even if the murder had never taken place.

It has everything, intrigue, murder, powerful aristocrats, and the mystery of the disappearance of course.

Lord Lucan experts dispute claim that pensioner in Australia is missing peer ..

'Scotland Yard began investigating whether the man in Australia was Lord Lucan in 2020, but “conclusively eliminated” him in April last year, following “extensive inquiries” made on their behalf by the Australian Federal Police.'

' The man who Mr Berriman suspects to be Lord Lucan has been living in a suburb of Brisbane in a Buddhist commune where two young Englishmen act as his carers, according to the Mirror. The man is said to have spent some time in Nepal before settling in Australia in the 1980s.'

'
Professor Ugail, however, has made global headlines for his work identifying some of the world’s most wanted men.

In 2018, he helped the investigative website Bellingcat unmask the two Russian agents responsible for poisoning the former spy Sergei Skripal and his daughter in the town of Salisbury.

He has also identified three suspects linked to the killing of the Saudi journalist Jamal Khashoggi in 2018 and helped to uncover an alleged Nazi war criminal last year.

Professor Ugail claimed his computer algorithm has “never been wrong”. He said he was particularly confident about his Lord Lucan analysis as he had compared each photo of the man in Australia to every other photo individually.

All of the comparisons returned a likelihood score above 75 per cent - in some cases exceeding 80 per cent - which he said confirms it is either the same individual or a twin.'

alordlucan001.jpg

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/worl...pc=U531&cvid=694bab525dfc48a982fee8e5a8749987

Last edited:
Lord Lucan experts dispute claim that pensioner in Australia is missing peer ..

'Scotland Yard began investigating whether the man in Australia was Lord Lucan in 2020, but “conclusively eliminated” him in April last year, following “extensive inquiries” made on their behalf by the Australian Federal Police.'

' The man who Mr Berriman suspects to be Lord Lucan has been living in a suburb of Brisbane in a Buddhist commune where two young Englishmen act as his carers, according to the Mirror. The man is said to have spent some time in Nepal before settling in Australia in the 1980s.'

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/worl...pc=U531&cvid=694bab525dfc48a982fee8e5a8749987

"The unpixelated version of the image revealed what appeared to be clear physical differences between the two men - including the size of their eyes, nose and the protrusion of their ears. "

So Barry Halpin still looks like the closest match for Lucan.

"The unpixelated version of the image revealed what appeared to be clear physical differences between the two men - including the size of their eyes, nose and the protrusion of their ears. "

I thought men's keep growing larger as they get older? .. dunno ..

The outside of his home, 46 Lower Belgrave Street, London hasn't changed all that much..

https://www.instantstreetview.com/@51.497003,-0.148642,51.1h,4.91p,1z,fLlUFJ7jkJTlvT8Uv6rZYw

alordlucan002.jpg

Last edited:

I see what to mean ..

alordlucan003.jpg

shouldnt be going around harrassing pensioners; even Aussie ones...
Agreed. The website I linked to in post 182 contained recordings of Berriman supposedly interviewing Lord Lucan who does not deny his real identity. But I can just hear a confused old man. It's Rich D Hall tactics.

Us forteans do find the Lord Lucan saga fascinating don’t we.

I have read a couple of books on the subject over the years – I found the book by that Retired detective, that Lucan was living in Goa, and going by the name of Jungle Barry interesting, but I think that theory was debunked a few years after the book came out.

I don’t wish to speak ill of the dead, but a good friend of mine’s wife was the Lucan’s nanny directly before poor Sandra Rivett, and was on personal terms with them both. He told me that she was a very disturbed person and drove the Lord mad at times – not that’s an excuse for murder of course.

My friend’s theory is that Lucan’s powerful friends (Goldsmith etc) arranged for him to be got out of the country soon after the murder. In his opinion there was no way that Lucan would have committed suicide.

There are so many twists and turn in this saga and that is what fascinates us.

I find it amazing that almost 50 years after the murder and disappearance, we are still being fed small clues as to what may have happened (or what didn't), but we STILL don't know with certainty and no one has been brought to account. Lord Lucan is still missing (dead or alive), Lady Lucan has passed and the unfortunate Sandra Rivett still remains murdered. It's an enduring mystery and it's drawn me in for decades (can you tell?)

From a criminal perspective, all parties should be given a concrete solution, if only for peace of mind for the few family members that remain.

That being said, unsolved mysteries are intriguing and having a personal link to the main players as you do/did is certainly a story worth telling!

...I find it amazing that almost 50 years after the murder and disappearance, we are still being fed small clues as to what may have happened (or what didn't)...

I often wonder - when stories reappear in the mainstream through little gobbets of apparently new information, like this - whether we're about to be presented with a new book or TV drama, and some enterprising author or TV marketing bod has managed to prod a story into the headlines in order to up the interest, which might not be that difficult if you had the right journalistic connections.

I don't mean that this is necessarily untrue (although being true is different to it being significant - which I suspect it is not) - just that it's the kind of intriguing snippet that could quite possibly have sat under the radar for years, but which is likely to get attention if it's promoted.

and that total number is not just mysterious events, but someone getting drunk and bashing in a mate down the pub or excessive domestic violence.

ie, something solved or confessed to right away.

yes?

and that total number is not just mysterious events, but someone getting drunk and bashing in a mate down the pub or excessive domestic violence.

ie, something solved or confessed to right away.

yes?

I don't understand your question.

maximus otter

Let's not discount the fascination with scandal in high places, combined with an assumption that the wealthy elite stick together, friends or not, and the imaginative element of having so much money you can disappear forever.
It's a heady mix in thriller fiction, let alone when applied to a true crime. It's like celebrities who die in an accident; 'shit happens' is not enough for some people - it has to be a killing. In this case, a rich bloke commits a heinous crime and escapes; the idea that he killed himself or died while on the lam isn't good enough; being wealthy automatically qualifies you as a member of a secret conspiracy.

Do we really want the old boy to be found though?

People think ''Ah, but then we'll find out what really happened!'', but I don't think we would because whatever he says, people will still dispute and the conspiracy theories will just grow and grow even more.

He'd be 88 next month, so how much jail time would he do anyway?

No, I say we just leave him alone.
In any case, we know what he looks like now don't we.....

Edit: Sorry @maximus otter - only just saw your post above.

https://forums.forteana.org/index.php?threads/stuff-youve-just-bought.59405/page-190#post-2147930

and bringing pills to a pharmacist to have them identified (what was that about?).
I would guess he was going through the nanny's and his wife's belongings and finding pills (painkillers, whatever) and trying to get them identified as banned substances in order to claim that his wife and the nanny were unfit to be in charge of the children.

I would guess he was going through the nanny's and his wife's belongings and finding pills (painkillers, whatever) and trying to get them identified as banned substances in order to claim that his wife and the nanny were unfit to be in charge of the children.
I believe Lady Lucan was on certain medication, as she was suffering from depression.

This seems to have been the case. Note the following sighting from November 7, only hours before the murder ...

At 4:00 pm Lucan called at a chemist's on Lower Belgrave Street, close to Veronica's home, and asked the pharmacist there to identify a small capsule. It turned out to be Limbitrol 5, a drug for the treatment of anxiety and depression. Lucan had apparently made several similar visits since he separated from his wife; he never told the pharmacist where he got the drugs.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Bingham,_7th_Earl_of_Lucan

Back