• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.
It's all a bit like that case in Moscow, Idaho where the friends and families of the victims were grumbling about the police but they were tracking down the perpetrator without shouting their every move to the media.

Of course it's also possible the Old Bill haven't got a clue what they're doing.

I've been contemplating the idea that she fell in love with someone else and would find it too heartbreaking to tell her partner and children so she vanished to start a new life.

The last thing you would do is take you mobile with you, it tracks you.

Last edited:
We must bear in mind that we only "know" what the media are telling us. The media, in turn, are only publishing their own attention-grabbing slant on the information that the police, family, and friends are giving to them. The job of the media is not only to inform the public, but also to sell papers, or gain viewers, or followers, or subscribers, or likes, etc.

There will be plenty of information that has not been given to the police. The media will have some information that they have not presented prominently, or at all, , and some that they have presented disproportionately or in a distorted fashion.

At the bottom of this, there is a missing woman who is either dead, or in peril, or in a state of extreme distress and confusion, and her children who must be absolutely distraught, and her family and friends who are deeply upset.

That said, the case does seem strange.

I am surprised that the police have sounded so certain that she must have fallen in the river. Other possibilities must be under consideration.

I am surprised that the spaniel ( a "water dog" if ever there was one) was dry. It seems inconsistent with the owner going into the river.

The presence of an unhurt dog seems inconsistent with the owner being attacked.

I am surprised that the phone was left on the seat, still connected to a call, but muted. This has the feeling of being a deliberately misleading clue.

I am surprised that the widely reported part of her partner's statement emphasises the distraught kids, but does not express his own distress in quite the same terms.

I am surprised that the partner seems so certain now that she did not go into the river. However, assuming he is not involved, it would not be surprising if his thinking was distorted either by wishful thinking, or by his worst fears.

It would not surprise me if police psychologists are monitoring the partner's reactions and behaviours.

It is possible that the police are publicly focussing on one theory (fell in the river swept away) while less conspicuously looking for clues closer to home.

It is not an obvious time or place for an abduction by a stranger. Next to a road, in the dark, would be easier.

The red van sounds like a red herring to me. Why was a red van (more noticeable than a more typical white van) so noticeable? If I intended to do something criminal with a van, I would choose a plain white van.

It all seems set up for a Sherlock Holmes masterclass in deduction: the false clues, the irrelevant detail, the absence of expected evidence.

Statistically, if a woman is murdered, it is most likely to be by someone known to her. Stranger abductions and murders are quite rare in this country.

None of us knows, and when speculating, we need to be aware that in the absence of evidence to the contrary, all members of the family, friends and associates, and the missing person herself are innocent. All of them or, at worst, all of them except one, are in a state of bewilderment and distress. Be careful what we post.

I find it a little odd they still haven't traced the owner of the red van. Even if the lady who had earlier reported it to the police (why?) there's cctv cameras all over the place so surely the police would have got the number plate from that source.

The nearest CCTV camera was not working. It takes the police months to analyse all the CCTV from wider areas to find out what happened.

The nearest CCTV camera was not working. It takes the police months to analyse all the CCTV from wider areas to find out what happened.
There's over 400 police officers working on the case. I would have thought looking CCTV footage would have been a priority unless of course, as posted two posts above (I can't work out the multi quote thing) there's a lot we haven't been told or that maybe the police know what happened but still don't have enough evidence.

I think this guy might have nailed. it. It's worth a watch and he brings a lot of facts together that paints a very different picture of the circumstances

I am surprised that the widely reported part of her partner's statement emphasises the distraught kids, but does not express his own distress in quite the same terms.

I am surprised that the partner seems so certain now that she did not go into the river. However, assuming he is not involved, it would not be surprising if his thinking was distorted either by wishful thinking, or by his worst fears.

It would not surprise me if police psychologists are monitoring the partner's reactions and behaviours.

It is possible that the police are publicly focussing on one theory (fell in the river swept away) while less conspicuously looking for clues closer to home.

Statistically, if a woman is murdered, it is most likely to be by someone known to her. Stranger abductions and murders are quite rare in this country.

None of us knows, and when speculating, we need to be aware that in the absence of evidence to the contrary, all members of the family, friends and associates, and the missing person herself are innocent. All of them or, at worst, all of them except one, are in a state of bewilderment and distress. Be careful what we post.
The partner spoke at length on the Ch 5 programme tonight. He was well aware he’d be a prime suspect. He came across as genuine so he either is or he’s a good actor. If he was involved he had a very narrow time window to dispose of her without being seen.

Also on were three ‘experts’, two ex-police & the sonar river investigation man. One of the ex-police people said the partner was ruled out as involved.

I find it a little odd they still haven't traced the owner of the red van. Even if the lady who had earlier reported it to the police (why?) there's cctv cameras all over the place so surely the police would have got the number plate from that source.
Perhaps it has been and dismissed as not relevant.

I think he's nailed it as well.
We had two spaniels when I was a teenager. My mum and step-dad took them on a trip to a relative and walked them in some nearby fields. Suddenly the otherwise well trained dogs got a scent and shot off over a hill. When my mum caught up with them they had already got into a large chicken run and killed every single chicken. Grovelling apologies and a large cheque followed, but we were fortunate a farmer with a shotgun didn't get there first.

So is his theory that she came to harm - perhaps accidentally - after her dog got involved with chickens or other livestock whilst she was distracted by her Teams call...?

We had two spaniels when I was a teenager. My mum and step-dad took them on a trip to a relative and walked them in some nearby fields. Suddenly the otherwise well trained dogs got a scent and shot off over a hill. When my mum caught up with them they had already got into a large chicken run and killed every single chicken. Grovelling apologies and a large cheque followed, but we were fortunate a farmer with a shotgun didn't get there first.

So is his theory that she came to harm - perhaps accidentally - after her dog got involved with chickens or other livestock whilst she was distracted by her Teams call...?
He didn't specifically say , only that the caravan park/farm owners were involved and that the owner specifically made it known that any dog found in the area , off lead ,would be shot. I t crossed my mind that something like that happened . Nicola walking along , not fully focused on her surroundings as she's listening to her work conference call. The dog is running ahead and suddenly takes off towards the farm , where sheep and hens are kept. The owner fires a shot at willow , Nicola runs towards the dog , to get ii out of the way, Another shot is fired , misses the dog but hits Nicola . Farm owners hide the body , tie up willow and set the scene to look as though Nicola went into the water. However , I could be completely wrong .

spaniels are bred to retrieve birds. However well behaved they may be , its in their genes to go after birds and that instinct can easily take over

There's over 400 police officers working on the case. I would have thought looking CCTV footage would have been a priority unless of course, as posted two posts above (I can't work out the multi quote thing) there's a lot we haven't been told or that maybe the police know what happened but still don't have enough evidence.
The multi quote thing -
You highlight hit 'reply' in a post as normal.
When the reply box opens you go back up to another post you want to quote and 'reply' and that will post will also go into the reply box.
You can then edit away as required.

Farm owners hide the body , tie up willow and set the scene to look as though Nicola went into the water. However , I could be completely wrong .
..and this last part is for me quite crucial. We need to be very careful about making such suppositions, because as I pointed out earlier:
The local media here joined in the hysteria and did little to help, including the virtual lynching of her completely innocent landlord, for which they were later quite rightly sued to within an inch of insolvency.
This is a public part of the forum, visible to anyone. By all means speculate but I will ask that we keep potential suspects in the abstract, please. The above would potentially be identifiable enough to be actionable, and neither Gordon nor I want to have meetings with lawyers.

..and this last part is for me quite crucial. We need to be very careful about making such suppositions, because as I pointed out earlier:

This is a public part of the forum, visible to anyone. By all means speculate but I will ask that we keep potential suspects in the abstract, please. The above would potentially be identifiable enough to be actionable, and neither Gordon nor I want to have meetings with lawyers.
point taken

I support Stu Neville's request completely.

Warning: this is my trademark posting on contextual thoughts and not about the topic, the missing woman in this thread, specifically:

I have rummaged around the internet for about 30 minutes and found it surprisingly difficult to find good numbers on how many people disappear each year and stay missing in the UK and the US. Besides not framing the numbers in a way which would make comparisons easy, pesky social ideology rears its head.

Declaring someone missing, and then recurringly stating that the person is still missing, requires coordinated effort and agreement among groups who may not have the same goals. The groups include but are not limited to the family and friends of the missing person, the employer, the local police, the larger governmental police, the national police, the news media, the neighbors, any cultural or ethnic group to which the missing person may have belonged - or been annexed to post-disappearance. University researchers who track, the general public, etc.

I have no idea how the lady vanished. I do feel empathy for the loved ones left behind.

Interesting that her partner said that on the morning of her disappearance there was not the usual chaos of getting two small children up dressed breakfasted and ready for school, but Nicola had apparently organised everything to be smooth running.

Any shots would have been heard all over the village.
I don't think she went anywhere voluntarily.
And very much doubt a intelligent 45 year old would keep quiet
if she had run off once she saw the amount of time effort and cost
expanded on the serch, she would have contacted the police,
"I'm ok but dont want anyone else to know were"
The water levels above the weir have been pretty steady at about
.5 of mtr for the last 2 week before that there were some peaks
and the levels would change more with the tides further down.
And the report of something found on the beach turned out to be a
dead seal.

And very much doubt a intelligent 45 year old would keep quiet
if she had run off once she saw the amount of time effort and cost
expanded on the serch, she would have contacted the police,
Hmmm. I take your point, although intelligence is in short supply amongst 45 year olds, just as with every other age group. We shouldn't assume!

Joking apart, there are thousands of people who go missing every year, and many who simply disappear. However, those who disappear are generally downwardly mobile: fleeing a bad domestic situation and ending up on the streets or, at best, in the "cash, no questions asked" section of the economy.

If, for the sake of argument, this lady had been in a difficult domestic situation, being 45, reasonably affluent, and with 2 children, then 3 things:
  • There would normally be some history of reports (formal or otherwise) of her difficulties at home.
  • She would almost certainly have the wherewithal to stay with a friend, or relative, or, if all else failed, go to a refuge. She does not appear to be the type of person who would simply run away and end up on the streets.
  • So, if she did deliberately "disappear" the obvious explanation would be something along the lines of an affair. Affluent and aspirational people seldom leave their spouses to step down a socioeconomic bracket, so she would need to continue with her employment, her banking, her National Insurance, her passport, driving licence, etc. People who remain part of mainstream society and wish to remain so cannot "disappear" without constructing a complete new identity, which is costly and complex.
A person might fake their disappearance for any of a number of reasons, such as fear, guilt, romance, mental illness, etc. They might not think through the consequences in terms of the police search and media coverage. Someone daft enough to do it might indeed be too daft to admit it when they see the media storm. One possibility among many is that she is now somewhere safe, but in a state of blind panic.

She may have fallen in the river, although I have personally been sceptical about that since the start.

She may well have been abducted by a stranger, but such abductions are rare, and the target, time and place were not optimal for a stranger to strike. For example, Jack the Ripper, Peter Sutcliffe, and Fred West all killed strangers. They didn't generally choose mature middle class women who would quickly be missed, and didn't take them when they were walking their dogs some distance from the public road.

Statistically, most abductions and murders are committed by someone known to the victim. That tends to be a current partner, former partner, someone they are having an affair with, a colleague or acquaintance who is obsessed with them, or someone who has a vested interest in their demise. I think it is more or less in this order of likelihood.

In order to abduct this person from that location, someone would either have to immobilise and silence her (and deal with the dog) or have her trust. Trust would seem more likely than the force option. A common scenario, for example, is the meeting to clear the air or discuss something important, which leads the victim to put themselves in harm's way.

If the police suspected her partner, then by now I think we would be hearing about him being formally questioned.

The detail posted above by @PeteS, if correct, is very interesting. A change of morning routine on the day of her disappearance?

For the avoidance of doubt: I am neither accusing nor suggesting. I am merely discussing the common scenarios when someone goes missing, and noticing some details of this case that appear potentially suggestive. We will know the truth if and when she is found, whether alive or, sadly, not.

Joking apart, there are thousands of people who go missing every year, and many who simply disappear. However, those who disappear are generally downwardly mobile: fleeing a bad domestic situation and ending up on the streets or, at best, in the "cash, no questions asked" section of the economy.

If, for the sake of argument, this lady had been in a difficult domestic situation, being 45, reasonably affluent, and with 2 children, then 3 things:
  • There would normally be some history of reports (formal or otherwise) of her difficulties at home.
  • She would almost certainly have the wherewithal to stay with a friend, or relative, or, if all else failed, go to a refuge. She does not appear to be the type of person who would simply run away and end up on the streets.
  • So, if she did deliberately "disappear" the obvious explanation would be something along the lines of an affair. Affluent and aspirational people seldom leave their spouses to step down a socioeconomic bracket, so she would need to continue with her employment, her banking, her National Insurance, her passport, driving licence, etc. People who remain part of mainstream society and wish to remain so cannot "disappear" without constructing a complete new identity, which is costly and complex.
A person might fake their disappearance for any of a number of reasons, such as fear, guilt, romance, mental illness, etc. They might not think through the consequences in terms of the police search and media coverage. Someone daft enough to do it might indeed be too daft to admit it when they see the media storm. One possibility among many is that she is now somewhere safe, but in a state of blind panic.
All good points. Of course if she really did just walk away from her old life then every hour that passes, every ridiculous theory posited online and each new lurid tabloid story would make it more and more difficult for her to get in contact with family, friends or the authorities. The whole affair has taken on a life of its own and become a circus; it would take an awful lot of moral fibre and courage to reveal her hand now. If she is out there somewhere watching all this then I suggest that the mental tipping point for being able to own up to it has long since passed. I don’t agree it’s a case of being ”too daft to admit it” just that it would be more or less impossible for her now after observing the police and media reaction to her disappearance.

Personally I just don’t know what to think about it all.

Last edited:
The presence of an unhurt dog seems inconsistent with the owner being attacked.

My thoughts, which are definitely not criticisms of your's. Just thoughts.

If she was grabbed by a drifter/loner, then imagine this.

The drifter/loner has been in the area for a few days.
He has not been noticed, as he has parked up somewhere remote.
But he has a history of sexual violence, and seeing Nichola, grabs her on the spur of the moment as she sits on the bench.

I am surprised that the phone was left on the seat, still connected to a call, but muted. This has the feeling of being a deliberately misleading clue.

She had the conference call on mute with video camera off.
Signed in, but not interested in it.
She puts the phone on bench, perhaps to blow her nose?

The drifter grabs her, without much thought for the phone or dog.
He puts his hand over her mouth, preventing her from making noise.
If he is a large powerful man, he could lift her and take away down the path which had no CCTV.
In the photos I have seen, she looks slim and fit for her age, but quite petite.

Agree.

The red van sounds like a red herring to me. Why was a red van (more noticeable than a more typical white van) so noticeable? If I intended to do something criminal with a van, I would choose a plain white van.

This red van might have been driven by people looking to steal firewood from a barn type building, at least according to the papers.

Of it could be the drifter's van?

Perhaps she had a stalker?

Perhaps someone from the village was jealous of her; as seemingly "ideal woman"; fit, healthy , attractive and financially comfortable.
Posting about their life on social media.

*************************************************************************************************************************************

Then again @queenofwands has posted a video with theory she was killed accidentally.

It might be that this was not by a loud weapon, but by a punch etc.

I am sure the police will look at that.

[Mods please delete the above three sentences if this will get the Forum into trouble.]

Last edited:
They keep showing the Wyre as a narrow almost a stream river, here are some pics about 4 or 5 miles further down the last one
a few miles down is were it joins the sea, when the tide is in it's quite a bit wider.

330777546_1848279445533880_6012811484967715656_n.jpg
330784129_597427632244302_8847984724420485208_n.jpg
330802037_1133437607345704_2866603986664325836_n (1).jpg

They keep showing the Wyre as a narrow almost a stream river, here are some pics about 4 or 5 miles further down the last one
a few miles down is were it joins the sea, when the tide is in it's quite a bit wider.

View attachment 63257
Fleetwood is a place that fascinates me - that stretch of Irish Sea coast from Barrow to Llandudno is really interesting.

I live right next to the River Tay (I’m looking at it out of the window now) where it transitions from freshwater river to brackish estuary, a wider version of the Wyre as seen in the above pics. Generally when people end up in the river for whatever reason, which they do regularly, the bodies are not found. Occasionally they do turn up but mostly they’re washed far out into the North Sea never to be seen again. I’m always amazed at the resources that are thrown at searching for someone in the Tay - they always task multiple Coastguard, Police and Fire units including helicopters and it can go on for many hours or days. There’s very little media coverage of these incidents though - even locally - but I think that’s because of rules around reporting of suicide.

Back