• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

People Who Are Discovered Or Re-Surface After Long Disappearances

Just plain weird.
Very weird. A few more details in this CNN report

A Texas man reported missing eight years ago as a teen actually returned home a day later and has been there all along with his mother, who deceived police by giving fake names and insisting he was gone in the years before his discovery last week at a Houston church, city police said Thursday.
Rudolph “Rudy” Farias IV, 25, returned home March 8, 2015, one day after he was reported missing, Lt. Christopher Zamora said in a news conference. While Houston officers had interacted since then with Farias and his mother, both provided fake names and dates of birth, misleading officers, he said.

His mother “continued to deceive police by remaining adamant that Rudy was still missing,” he said.

Zamora suggested police were skeptical that Farias was, in fact, missing. Over the years, investigators pursued various leads and tips and “collected evidence proving that Rudy was not missing during the eight-year period,” he said.

At times, other people saw Farias, Zamora indicated. But Santana “alleged her nephew was the person friends and family were seeing coming and going,” he said. “However, we disputed that,” Zamora added.
There’s other more lurid reports around that he’s been kept as some sort of sex-slave for his mother, as told by a mediator between him & the police, but the CNN one doesn’t go there.

Hard to figure out the ‘why’ in all this. In the canoe-man case the motive was insurance money but in this one there doesn't seem to be any financial motive.

A Texas man reported missing eight years ago as a teen actually returned home a day later and has been there all along with his mother, who deceived police by giving fake names and insisting he was gone in the years before his discovery last week at a Houston church, city police said Thursday.

There’s other more lurid reports around that he’s been kept as some sort of sex-slave for his mother, as told by a mediator between him & the police, but the CNN one doesn’t go there.

Hard to figure out the ‘why’ in all this. In the canoe-man case the motive was insurance money but in this one there doesn't seem to be any financial motive.
Possibly one of those Munchausens (?) things?

They maybe meant to capitalise on it now? Like a very long-haul Shannon Mathews job?

He went missing and it was reported. He came back and, for whatever reason, his mother didn't report the return - maybe she didn't think it necessary or she forgot or she tried and noone was interested, whatever. Suddenly he goes missing again, is returned again almost immediately, but some very quick thinking on someone's part has assumed they could monetise the whole event by pretending he'd been gone for years?

They maybe meant to capitalise on it now? Like a very long-haul Shannon Mathews job?

He went missing and it was reported. He came back and, for whatever reason, his mother didn't report the return - maybe she didn't think it necessary or she forgot or she tried and noone was interested, whatever. Suddenly he goes missing again, is returned again almost immediately, but some very quick thinking on someone's part has assumed they could monetise the whole event by pretending he'd been gone for years?
In the CNN report it seems the police have had an ongoing interest since he ‘disappeared’ in 2015. His mother has lied & he himself has lied to them in the intervening years. He’s been there all along & the police suspected it. Maybe that’s why a full blown missing person case hasn't happened.

Presumably it’s the police who have released the story & not the woman or son.

There’s more to come out in the story..

Girl, 14, missing for two weeks, found at barracks; her family claim she was sold to Marine for sex

A 14-year-old girl whose family claimed she was sold to a US Marine for sex has been found at Camp Pendleton in California two weeks after she went missing.

The girl was first declared missing on June 13, four days after some relatives said she ran away from her grandmother's house. However, her aunt claims the teen had been sold into sex trafficking.

The teen was found at the Marine base on June 28. Days later, a Marine was seen being led from the barracks in handcuffs.

'We can confirm that a Marine was taken into custody for questioning by Naval Criminal Investigative Services on June 28, 2023,' Captain Chuck Palmer said.

The girl's aunt, Casaundra Perez, told authorities her niece - who she says has learning disabilities - was sold to the Marine for sex.

She posted to her TikTok account on July 6, clearly nervous about what would happen to her as she feared retribution speaking out about what her niece had allegedly gone through.

'I would just like to preface this video, I did not kill myself, if I go missing or end up murdered the people potentially responsible could possibly be located here at Camp Pendleton,' she said.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...-Marine-barracks-family-claimed-sold-sex.html

maximus otter

But how did a Marine hide a 14 year old on a military base for so long? Unless he had his own quarters of course.

Anyone know why the Americans are obsessed with sex-trafficking? I'm not saying it doesn't happen, or didn't in this case, but it does seem to be their 'go to' for any missing young person.
Back in the 1920s/30s, it used to be White Slave Traders who were responsible for taking young, white, attractive females to smuggle them back to 'foreign parts' for the wicked to have their way with. Or use them as opium-addicted sex slaves. It was a staple of 'alarmist' and crime stories.

Anyone know why the Americans are obsessed with sex-trafficking? I'm not saying it doesn't happen, or didn't in this case, but it does seem to be their 'go to' for any missing young person.
There is a problem with human trafficking all over the world, but the Americans obsession with trafficking specifically for sex is a Trump/QAnon conspiracy trope.

I only ever really see the 'must have been snatched by sex traders' in American stories about missing persons. It does seem to be the new White Slave Trade scare of the Twenty first century. Even when it is vanishingly unlikely or, even, practically impossible, it seems to be the first port of call. I wonder if it's also something to do with not wanting to face the likelihood that someone has been murdered and the body just not discovered yet?

In the UK we often default to 'must have run away' when someone goes missing.

In the CNN report it seems the police have had an ongoing interest since he ‘disappeared’ in 2015. His mother has lied & he himself has lied to them in the intervening years. He’s been there all along & the police suspected it. Maybe that’s why a full blown missing person case hasn't happened.

Presumably it’s the police who have released the story & not the woman or son.

There’s more to come out in the story..
You were right. I think it is making more sense now. Poor boy, though.

Rudy Farias Breaks Silence Over Missing Years: 'I Lived in a Prison'​

https://www.newsweek.com/rudy-farias-breaks-silence-missing-years-1812369

I only ever really see the 'must have been snatched by sex traders' in American stories about missing persons. It does seem to be the new White Slave Trade scare of the Twenty first century. Even when it is vanishingly unlikely or, even, practically impossible, it seems to be the first port of call. I wonder if it's also something to do with not wanting to face the likelihood that someone has been murdered and the body just not discovered yet?

In the UK we often default to 'must have run away' when someone goes missing.
Have to say that even considering the awful implications of an abduction into the sex trade, it's still better than accepting that the missing person is dead. :(
They might come back one day.

Have to say that even considering the awful implications of an abduction into the sex trade, it's still better than accepting that the missing person is dead. :(
They might come back one day.
And it's why people whose loved ones have been murdered try so very hard to get the murderer to say where the body is. How can you mourn properly when you don't know.

And it's why people whose loved ones have been murdered try so very hard to get the murderer to say where the body is. How can you mourn properly when you don't know.
I would have no problem with the murderer being tortured until they revealed the location.

I would have no problem with the murderer being tortured until they revealed the location.

giphy.gif

maximus otter

That wouldn't work for many reasons, not least that you'd have to find and train up people to do this sort of work. Would you want them living near you? Would you like members of your own family to do this work? Would you do it? Thought not.

Then there's point that people under torture will admit to anything, up to and including flying through the air to meet the Devil.
A person might not know for sure where they've hidden a body. The moors murderers were taken up to two of their victims' alleged gravesites but could only find one.
The killer's innocent family could be at risk if a murderer talked and compromised others.
Also, as @catseye asks, what if they're actually innocent?

But what if they really didn't do it?
That wouldn't work for many reasons, not least that you'd have to find and train up people to do this sort of work. Would you want them living near you? Would you like members of your own family to do this work? Would you do it? Thought not.

Then there's point that people under torture will admit to anything, up to and including flying through the air to meet the Devil.
A person might not know for sure where they've hidden a body. The moors murderers were taken up to two of their victims' alleged gravesites but could only find one.
The killer's innocent family could be at risk if a murderer talked and compromised others.
Also, as @catseye asks, what if they're actually innocent?
I'm only talking about those who have admitted the murder and simply refuse to reveal where the body is. I was being facetious (and being in a GOG mood due to my mate's death.) Edit - if it was for example my child's death and missing body then yes I would be sorely tempted.

I'm only talking about those who have admitted the murder and simply refuse to reveal where the body is. I was being facetious (and being in a GOG mood due to my mate's death.) Edit - if it was for example my child's death and missing body then yes I would be sorely tempted.
Nah, you're better than that.

If torture was used to reveal the whereabouts of a victims remains then where would be the incentive to admit to the killing? It comes down to a binary choice: you could admit to the murder and say where you put the body which might be a bit awkward if you genuinely didn't know (from memory loss or the passing of time) or absolutely deny responsibility even in the face of evidence, to maintain the element of doubt.
Even Brady, right up until his end, tried to maintain 'control' by pretending to say where the bodies were, even though he didn't remember. You could've tortured him time and again, he'd have happily 'cracked', then when you came back, the torture would begin again and the cycle remains. He might've genuinely not known where they were - would you believe that under torture?
Also, and this is a consideration, while torture has become a 'science' since the days of the Gestapo, there's still the possibility of dying under torture and where does that get you?

When it comes to actions in a 'what if ...' situation then we might think we'd be capable of torture, but when it comes down to it, it's a matter of your own personal character. I might imagine confronting the killer of my child and emotionally want to bring physical pain to them, but I'd hate to be the kind of guy that would do it happily.
It puts you into the same mental character as the killer.

If torture was used to reveal the whereabouts of a victims remains then where would be the incentive to admit to the killing? It comes down to a binary choice: you could admit to the murder and say where you put the body which might be a bit awkward if you genuinely didn't know (from memory loss or the passing of time) or absolutely deny responsibility even in the face of evidence, to maintain the element of doubt.
Even Brady, right up until his end, tried to maintain 'control' by pretending to say where the bodies were, even though he didn't remember. You could've tortured him time and again, he'd have happily 'cracked', then when you came back, the torture would begin again and the cycle remains. He might've genuinely not known where they were - would you believe that under torture?
Also, and this is a consideration, while torture has become a 'science' since the days of the Gestapo, there's still the possibility of dying under torture and where does that get you?

When it comes to actions in a 'what if ...' situation then we might think we'd be capable of torture, but when it comes down to it, it's a matter of your own personal character. I might imagine confronting the killer of my child and emotionally want to bring physical pain to them, but I'd hate to be the kind of guy that would do it happily.
It puts you into the same mental character as the killer.

Excellent points, well made. :cool:

Back