• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.
I think just getting back to the basics of the first couple of series of the podcast is what's needed.

Whilst, as consumers, we want every story to be more weird or chilling than the last, we do need to accept that there will be lesser stories.
That said, Danny and his team do need to stop spreading themselves, and the stories they pick, so thin.

Also, I'd suggest an end of season update podcast which covers all the episodes of that season. We keep getting promised updates which never really materialise (looking at you "The Boy in Room 3"...), and then it's onto the next season without looking back.

I think just getting back to the basics of the first couple of series of the podcast is what's needed.

Whilst, as consumers, we want every story to be more weird or chilling than the last, we do need to accept that there will be lesser stories.
That said, Danny and his team do need to stop spreading themselves, and the stories they pick, so thin.

Also, I'd suggest an end of season update podcast which covers all the episodes of that season. We keep getting promised updates which never really materialise (looking at you "The Boy in Room 3"...), and then it's onto the next season without looking back.
For sure. Also, as I've mentioned before in the context of Ampleforth School, we don't always get the whole story.
Leaving out the Ampleforth backstory was a huge omission.

From what I've read about Danny, he struggled for success for quite a long time; so I don't really blame him if he's now making the most of it. Especially when the media tend to pick up and discard any discussion of the supernatural seemingly according to the whims of demand or of needed content. Given his backstory, he probably fears that this success will desert him if he doesn't greatly apply himself. Similar to how some people raised in poverty then find themselves well-off; the fear remains, and it's an understandable, instinctive fear of things returning to how bad they once were.

For sure. Also, as I've mentioned before in the context of Ampleforth School, we don't always get the whole story.
Leaving out the Ampleforth backstory was a huge omission.
Exactly.
I appreciate it's a paranormal podcast, so they wouldn't want to go into too many of the details, but to ignore Ampleforth's recent history completely was puzzling.

Also, as I've mentioned before in the context of Ampleforth School, we don't always get the whole story.
The account of the strange guest house in Newfoundland first appeared by the guy who went through it, Scott Innes, on Twitter about four (???) years ago and there was a lot more too it! Unfortunately he seems to have taken most of it down. It sounded a lot more terrifying when I read it on Twitter.

Exactly.
I appreciate it's a paranormal podcast, so they wouldn't want to go into too many of the details, but to ignore Ampleforth's recent history completely was puzzling.
There are a couple of possible reasons for that, as I posited earlier. One is that there will be ongoing legal proceedings and another is the assumption that the audience could find it all out for themselves.

In this light, it's sensible to leave it all out. The alternative was to throw away a brilliant ghost story and we don't want that! :wink2:

I share some of the concerns on here about the future direction of 'Uncanny' and feel Danny must tread carefully to retain his loyal audience and not get too carried away with celebrity this-and-that. The strange Bold Street time-slip witness saga (tv show) is perhaps the first time the show seems to have neglected proper background research. Also 'Uncanny' is heavily biased in favour of ghosts and poltergeists and has thus far featured two famous UfO cases only, it would be fantastic to feature a high-strangeness listener's UFO case such as the one in his book.

Yes, @BaronHardacre we do need an update show to reflect on past episodes. Also perhaps rest 'Uncanny' for a year and do another series on a single case? Personally, I would love him to get stuck into the Broad Haven 'Welsh Triangle' UFO events of the 1970s, there must be some elderly witnesses still out there and also the Coombes children of Ripperstone farm were old enough to understand what was happening back then but young enough to still be with us.

I share some of the concerns on here about the future direction of 'Uncanny' and feel Danny must tread carefully to retain his loyal audience and not get too carried away with celebrity this-and-that. The strange Bold Street time-slip witness saga (tv show) is perhaps the first time the show seems to have neglected proper background research. Also 'Uncanny' is heavily biased in favour of ghosts and poltergeists and has thus far featured two famous UfO cases only, it would be fantastic to feature a high-strangeness listener's UFO case such as the one in his book.

Yes, @BaronHardacre we do need an update show to reflect on past episodes. Also perhaps rest 'Uncanny' for a year and do another series on a single case? Personally, I would love him to get stuck into the Broad Haven 'Welsh Triangle' UFO events of the 1970s, there must be some elderly witnesses still out there and also the Coombes children of Ripperstone farm were old enough to understand what was happening back then but young enough to still be with us.
We’ve heard from people who’ve been involved that they do do their research. It’s only a certain Mr S that has case any doubt and he’s not awfully reliable.

We’ve heard from people who’ve been involved that they do do their research. It’s only a certain Mr S that has case any doubt and he’s not awfully reliable.
True, but as it stands Mr Slemen was the first person to ever mention this case in print - we need to find the original source.

Last edited:
The account of the strange guest house in Newfoundland first appeared by the guy who went through it, Scott Innes, on Twitter about four (???) years ago and there was a lot more too it! Unfortunately he seems to have taken most of it down. It sounded a lot more terrifying when I read it on Twitter.
Interesting, he is creative with a fertile imagination and quite funny to boot. Had a sci-fi novel posted published back in 2020 (crowdfunded publisher). Does this weaken his case? Not in my opinion although there are a few Redditers who believe 'Uncanny' is the biggest wind-up since 'Ghostwatch' and might seize on this (i do not agree with them)

...although there are a few Redditers who believe 'Uncanny' is the biggest wind-up since 'Ghostwatch' and might seize on this (i do not agree with them)

Oh? I'd be interested in hearing more about that, actually. I don't entirely agree.....but I don't entirely disagree either. In my mind, people like Tom Slemen and David Paulides have become quite successful by playing fast and loose with the facts and my fear is that Uncanny could slide into the same territory...if they haven't already.

Oh? I'd be interested in hearing more about that, actually. I don't entirely agree.....but I don't entirely disagree either. In my mind, people like Tom Slemen and David Paulides have become quite successful by playing fast and loose with the facts and my fear is that Uncanny could slide into the same territory...if they haven't already.
Not just Reddit:

"I'm still unsure if this programme is a parody or actually true"

https://forums.digitalspy.com/discussion/2452213/uncanny-tv-show-bbc2/p2

I can't help thinking Danny knew exactly what those photos were (child's face in negative) and his unveiling of them was rather theatrical to say the least and he was 'pulling our leg' all along.
@escargot Just to clarify, the "terrifying' photos were taken on the iPad and then appeared on the iPhone via the cloud. So did no-one see them on the iPad...? Wouldn't it be apparent from the image files that it was taken on the iPad?

A further gripe (already aired) is that the solution to these photos was discussed at a live event but not on a podcast update. But all this is just a grumble, not evidence of a conspiracy to fool us.

Last edited:
I'd much prefer it if the programmes were strictly fact-based, with comprehensive evidence sought whenever possible etc; a serious study. But isn't Uncanny basically an entertainment show, rather than the sober study I'd prefer? I expect Danny to be honest...but is he duty-bound to be so? I imagine that his employers are more concerned with sensation. No serious study would have a panel of experts being obliged to effectively spout rapid 'hit' or 'miss' soundbites...

I'd much prefer it if the programmes were strictly fact-based, with comprehensive evidence sought whenever possible etc; a serious study.
I was just thinking this an hour ago when I was catching up on the Girl, Gravestone, Ghost show thread....is it too much to ask to get a fact based serious investigation? *sigh*

But isn't Uncanny basically an entertainment show
Ahhhh yes, that's why we can't have fact based shows. We have to make the philistines happy....

Last edited:
I'd much prefer it if the programmes were strictly fact-based, with comprehensive evidence sought whenever possible etc; a serious study. But isn't Uncanny basically an entertainment show, rather than the sober study I'd prefer? I expect Danny to be honest...but is he duty-bound to be so? I imagine that his employers are more concerned with sensation. No serious study would have a panel of experts being obliged to effectively spout rapid 'hit' or 'miss' soundbites...
It is all very theatrical but then this is not an independent podcast but rather a production for the BBC and they will have specified their preferred format and approach etc.

The Fortean scene has greatly benefitted from 'Uncanny' and it has made it easier for people to come forward with their experiences. That said, the first season is stronger than what has followed.

Is it just me, or does anyone else think Danny looks as though he might go home, take off his wig and reappear as a mid-fifties bald bloke?
He has a habit of running his hand through his hair as he's talking, you reckon he's checking of the glue is still ok?

BTW i'm assuming we're not suggesting there's anything wrong with being a midfifties bald bloke...

Back