• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
As promised on the New & Soon To Be Published thread, I am providing a preview for the above named book.

My first impressions are positive: it's quite a heavy paperback with modern (high-friction plastic coated) covers that runs to 232 pages despite the fairly large typeface. Although some of the accounts are little more than capsule sketches, others stretch much longer and include editorial comment. The writing is accurate and well-edited—if unadorned—and the (rather sparse) illustrations are evocative in an old-world style.

The book is a broad miscellany of folkloric, cryptozoological and ghostly elements, organised (as the preface explains), according to canal, running roughly north to south. The final fifteen pages or so comprise a simple afterword that classifies the cases according to their nature, offers some advice on how to act around the supernatural, and provides a brief index and bibliography.

This chapter is one of the longer ones (not the longest) and offers a representative selection of what is presented throughout.

Click to enlarge.

01.jpeg02.jpeg03.jpeg04.jpeg05.jpeg06.jpeg7.jpeg8.jpeg9.jpeg10.jpeg11.jpeg

As promised on the New & Soon To Be Published thread, I am providing a preview for the above named book.

My first impressions are positive: it's quite a heavy paperback with modern (high-friction plastic coated) covers that runs to 232 pages despite the fairly large typeface. Although some of the accounts are little more than capsule sketches, others run much longer and include editorial comment. The writing is accurate and well-edited if unadorned and the (rather sparse) illustrations are evocative in an old-world style.

The book is a broad miscellany of folkloric, cryptozoological and ghostly elements, organised (as the preface explains), according to canal, running roughly north to south. The final fifteen pages or so comprise a simple afterword that classifies the cases according to their nature, offer some advice on how to act around the supernatural and provide a brief index and bibliography.

This chapter is one of the longer ones (not the longest) and offers a good selection of what is presented throughout.

Click to enlarge.

View attachment 74676View attachment 74677View attachment 74678View attachment 74679View attachment 74680View attachment 74681View attachment 74682View attachment 74683View attachment 74684View attachment 74685View attachment 74686
Plenty for us here @escargot!

The Cholmondeston lock that's mentioned, with the spectral narrowboat, is next to the Venetian Marina where Techy and I were subjected to some fork-bending malarkey last year. :nods:

These are the posts about it -
#14,607
#14,610

It would've been nice to know which direction the ghostly boat and witnesses were travelling in.

This will interest me. I love canals and the three best holidays of my live have been on the English (and Welsh) canals - but they can be enormously spooky at night. Stillness, remoteness etc.

Edit: Have ordered.

Last edited:
Anything in it about the Leeds Liverpool were it passes behind Rufford Old Hall ?
There's supposed to be three ghosts at Rufford Old Hall. I was wondering if there was anything on the Leeds - Liverpool Canal. One of my great-grandfathers was a a bargee (Barge Captain according to the 1901 census) working the Leeds - Liverpool

Anything in it about the Leeds Liverpool were it passes behind Rufford Old Hall ?

Only a brief mention:

Rufford Old Hall, Nr. Lock No.7

On the Rufford branch of the canal, which joins with the River Douglas at its northern end, a ghostly figure of a man is sometimes seen walking across the canal from Rufford Old Hall to Rufford village, over a bridge long demolished.

Edit: Have ordered.
I was wondering if there was anything on the Leeds - Liverpool Canal. One of my great-grandfathers was a a bargee (Barge Captain according to the 1901 census) working the Leeds - Liverpool

I will go through that section tonight and give you a list.

More generally, it would be good if we could generate a few sales for this chap. There does not seem to have been more than token promotion for the publication last year, and as far as I can see, he is not active online.

The book is not an expensive one and it's very much to our benefit as a community if Fortean and Fortean-adjacent projects meet with success—or are at least seen to be financially viable.

That was part of my motivation for starting this thread.

Does it feature the Man-Monkey of the Shropshire Union canal?

https://canalriverhub.co.uk/the-shropshire-man-monkey-bigfoot-of-the-uk-canals/

Nick Redfern researched contemporary sightings and wrote them up in an excellent book:

"Between 1986 and early 2001, Nick Redfern delved deeply into the mystery of the strange creature of that dark stretch of canal. Now, published for the very first time, are Nick's original interview notes, his files and discoveries; as well as his theories pertaining to what lies at the heart of this diabolical legend. Is Britain really home to a Bigfoot-style entity? Does the creature have supernatural origins? Or is it something else entirely? Nick Redfern addresses all of these questions in Man-Monkey and reveals a story that is as bizarre as it is macabre."

https://amzn.eu/d/3RubGKz

There's some association of British water ways with the uncanny in fictional form: Robert Aickman co-founded the Inland Waterways Association along with LTC Rolt who wrote numerous ghost stories, along with non-fiction about canal and water ways.

There's supposed to be three ghosts at Rufford Old Hall. I was wondering if there was anything on the Leeds - Liverpool Canal. One of my great-grandfathers was a a bargee (Barge Captain according to the 1901 census) working the Leeds - Liverpool

Seven pages featuring:
  • A detailed but likely fabricated time-slip that began at Stanley Dock, Liverpool.
  • The ghostly figure near Ruffed Hall mentioned above.
  • A ghost of a murder victim (Ellen Jeffries) near Pagefield Bridge No.49B, Wigan.
  • A ghost of a Victorian woman at Wallgate (Seven Stars Bridge No.50), Wigan.
  • A ghost of a suicide near a former mortuary in the stables at Bridge Inn, Hapton.
  • A poltergeist & a ghostly cow in the Foulridge Tunnel.
  • A ghostly woman and child by Otley Road Bridge.
  • Unseen hands, slamming doors and a black-clad Victorian woman at Armley Mills (Now the Leeds Industrial Museum).
  • A unseen and silent boat sensed at Mavesyn Ridware Bridge 60.

Had a wander up to the aforementioned Willeymoor tavern yesterday (where Escargot gets hammered on gin on a regular basis).

I'd forgotten what a souless place it is.

On the way I met a canalist I speak to, who moors up here every so often, and on the way back a couple were having a huge argument while trying to navigate one of the locks, so that made up for it.

No ghosts to report of though;

wm.jpeg
wil.jpg
wil2.jpg
wil4.jpg

Had a wander up to the aforementioned Willeymoor tavern yesterday (where Escargot gets hammered on gin on a regular basis).

I'd forgotten what a souless place it is.

On the way I met a canalist I speak to, who moors up here every so often, and on the way back a couple were having a huge argument while trying to navigate one of the locks, so that made up for it.

No ghosts to report of though;

View attachment 74787View attachment 74788View attachment 74789View attachment 74790
We liked the Tavern but the way there was a bit treacherous.
It involved cycling on the horrific A49, not a choice I'd normally make.

I've started the book and am enjoying it. I’m not likely to be on the canals, but so far most of these places can be accessed by bike, feet, car etc.
I've received my copy. Only just dipped in to it so far but looks good. As mentioned above I've had a few canal holidays so quite familiar with some places covered..

If we don't have a topic for canal ghosts (not fictional ones) this seems like a good place to mention any not covered by the book?

I’d love to hear of anyone’s experiences in/on canals and waterways that are not covered by the book, please!

Always wanted to go on canal boats. I remember watching that Hoseasons ad back in the 70’s? Never did get to go, but I know a couple of people who’ve lived on canal boats.

And canals and waterways do have a definite atmosphere. On a lovely summer evening they’re so inviting, on a misty, damp autumn day it’s very different.

I’d love to hear of anyone’s experiences in/on canals and waterways that are not covered by the book, please!

Always wanted to go on canal boats. I remember watching that Hoseasons ad back in the 70’s? Never did get to go, but I know a couple of people who’ve lived on canal boats.

And canals and waterways do have a definite atmosphere. On a lovely summer evening they’re so inviting, on a misty, damp autumn day it’s very different.
Techy and I were recently Uri Geller'd at a canalside tearoom! :chuckle:

Post about it -
#14,607
Follow-up post -
#14,610

Back