• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Soft Drinks (Soda, Pop, Carbonated Beverages, Etc.)

graylien said:
Lemon Coke is the most despicable stuff. I'm suprised they're still selling it. I used to buy Pepsi until they started plastering pictures of David Beckham dressed up like an extra from Mad Max all over the can. Whatever was that all about? (I don't have TV, BTW)

I thought he looked like someone from one of those realy dodgy 'celebrations of the male phesique' type softcore gay port 'art# books you always see around (or meby it's just that I hang around in sex shops to much...) Still I'd love to have had the erotic Manga Boys calander that was in Clone Zone but when I went back they'd sold out :(

Did I say to much? :blush:

I just don't get Coke, Pepsi or any other cola-type drink.

It tastes foul, it buggers up your teeth and it makes me heave just thinking about how many spoonsful of sugar in a single can.

And don't even start me off on what it does to young kids in terms of hyperactivity and bad behaviour......

Filcee said:
Vanilla Coke just tastes like American Cream Soda to me, I don't remember any childhood medicines tasing like that.

I'm glad someone else thinks so too, I've been saying that since it came out and people look at me as if I'm mad.

BTW: 'Inca Cola' which used to be (and probably still is) available in Peru tastes almost identical to Vanilla Coke - though it's straw coloured.

Now if you want something that tastes like cough mixture can I suggest Dr Peppers.....:cross eye

Timble said:

Now if you want something that tastes like cough mixture can I suggest Dr Peppers.....:cross eye
Tastes exactly like the old, pink, 'Germoline' antiseptic ointment used to smell.

I think root beer of the American sort tastes almost exactly like chewing gum ;)

And various Americans I've asked think it's wonderful, and that it's Irn Bru that tastes of chewing gum, so I suppose it all evens out.

Sarsparilla, not unconnected to Root Beer, really tastes like cough medicine.

Oddly enough, I love the stuff.

James H said:
still off topic, but root beer tastes exactly like germaline medicinal toothpaste. The pink stuff.

Euthymol toothpaste is the one you're thinking of.

I love vanilla Coke it's the only one that tastes any good as a diet version. I used to like Virgin cola and Virgin lips (quiet you).

Is calpol 'pink medicine' that would cure all illnesses as a child.
THe hubbie says that hes going to try coke and codine on his next mirgrane. The best hik he's found is paracetamol and water. No kidding, but it must be tablets, not easy to swallow capsuales.

How American root beer tastes depends on the brand. Back in the mid-70s, I noticed that all the big brands started changing their recipe and stopped tasting like root beer, removing the sarsparilla root flavor. You can get actual sarsparilla root commercially and brew up your own root beer, but that's a lot of work. Since I find it best not to drink caffeine after 3PM, it's important to me to have a good root beer in the house to drink with popcorn or chips when I have a salt-snack craving.

Although I can drink a couple of the upper-end Big Brands, what I find works best is to go to a specialty or natural foods store and buy an assortment of "microbrew" root beers in individual bottles. It's pricy, but I don't need soda that often and you get what you pay for. I read the labels and get the ones with lots of spicy ingrediants. One of my favorites has a dash of mustard.

My husband is from Atlanta, so drinking Coke products is an act of patriotism for him out here. When the venue only offers Pepsi, he orders Dr Pepper, another product that got adulterated when the big brand bought it out. Original recipe Dr Pepper (as every Texas schoolchild knows) was invented in central Texas as a patent medicine and included prune juice in the recipe. I find there's little difference between it and Cherry Coke these days - both vile to my tastebuds but other people like them. That's what makes horse races.

On one visit to Atlanta we visted the World of Coke Museum (I'm not making this up!), where you can sample Coke products from around the world, view nostalgic commercials, and see Coke advertising collectibles. It's all very silly. But I realized on this visit just how insidious advertising is and how well they've learned to manipulate the artist's toolkit of emotional hooks when I felt myself tearing up at the "return to the hilltop" commercial.

For those of you who missed this advertising classic, back in the early 70s Coke took over the Up With People song "I'd Like to Teach the World to Sing," changed one line to say "I'd like to buy the world a Coke," and staged an elaborate faux-Up With People Happening involving people holding hands on a hilltop and singing the altered song. The "return to the hilltop" commercial involved a mother bringing her children to the hilltop and telling them "This is where it happened," with flashbacks and emotive music. I knew it was absurd and manipulative, but a combination of factors nevertheless produced the physical reaction of tears.

Be ever vigilant! I eliminate advertising from my life as much as possible (it isn't very, alas).

dr.pepper = liquid bakewell tart

took me ages to work that out...:D

for me, coke was almost as addictive as smoking. tried to quit drinking it for years and couldn't -- until i got an ulcer. took months -- maybe even a year -- before i quit craving it. now a single sip almost makes me gag. taste like a can of chemicals.

NilesCalder said:
You want something that tastes medicinal?

American Rootbeer :blah:

Suprisingly refreshing 'though.

They used to sell that at UK McDonalds when I was young.

Tasted like disinfectant.

I hasten to add I haven't set foot in a McDonalds for nearly eight years.

And I'm like a morally righteous former-smoker who's quit...

Last edited:
Now Vimto: on the rare ocassions i spot it i usually get seduced into buying a sneaky can...

I do like coke, real coke, in a red can

anything else is ugh

virgin cola or asdas own brand an acceptable substitute

I prefer stuff like `Rio` or limeade though.

anyone remember how good `Corona` pop was?

Its bad for you.

The chemical process during the manufacture of the caramel coloring used in soft drinks such as cola produces a carcinogen that could be raising the risk of cancer to above the accepted threshold of one extra case in every 100,000 people consuming the drinks, suggests an analysis.

The coloring is not necessary for the production of soft drinks and is included purely for esthetics.
Matching laboratory tests conducted by Consumer Reports on 11 different soft drinks, first reported last year, with an analysis of average consumption by Americans, the researchers found that one can a day could be enough to expose them to potentially cancer-causing levels of the chemical known as 4-MEI (short for 4-methylimidazole).

The potential carcinogen is formed during the manufacture of the familiar caramel color that is added to many widely-consumed beverages.

A law in California requires that drinks must carry warning labels if they contain enough 4-MEI to pose an excess cancer risk of more than 1 case in every 100,000 exposed people (an exposure of 29 mcg of 4-MEI every day). ...

http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/289687.php

I thought 'Sierra Mist' was the effect encountered when driving behind a high mileage Ford in the late 90s.

And there I was, thinking that 'Sierra Mist' was a soft drink that was once available in the US.

No longer available? It was pretty good, especially with whiskey.

No longer available? It was pretty good, especially with whiskey.
Just checked - they got rid of it, then brought it back.
Never been available in Britain, probably because there are no Sierras here.

And there I was, thinking that 'Sierra Mist' was a soft drink that was once available in the US.
You can still get it for a price.

Screenshot_20210910-202034_Chrome.jpg

This is very similar. It's a small brand, usually found in smaller independent grocery stores, and probably regionally at that. Good stuff. I think I have some in the fridge. And there is plenty of whiskey. And it's Friday! Hey! Twelve ounce cans though. Either you have some of it when it's going flat, or you get shitfaced very quickly.

Shur Fine Lemon Lime.jpg

This is very similar. It's a small brand, usually found in smaller independent grocery stores, and probably regionally at that. Good stuff. I think I have some in the fridge. And there is plenty of whiskey. And it's Friday! Hey! Twelve ounce cans though. Either you have some of it when it's going flat, or you get shitfaced very quickly.

View attachment 44834
Isn't it the same as 7up and Sprite?

I used to like Mountain Dew in the US, but it is (or was) only freely available south of New Jersey. It has to be chilled though.

I used to like Mountain Dew in the US, but it is (or was) only freely available south of New Jersey. It has to be chilled though.
That stuff looked like radioactive waste water, and was incredibly sweet, I worked nights briefly for a delivery service and that used to keep me awake all shift.

Back