• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

★ ~ The David Bowie Thread ~ ★

Good god, we're only two days off the anniversary of his death.

Let's not think about the passing time. :eek:

The Telecom Tower (or whatever it's called these days) had 'RIP DAVID BOWIE' spelled out in lights running round the top who the news came out. I didn't see it as I wasn't working in London that day, gutted.

Life on Mars performed on a Carillon .. there's only about 600 of these instruments left in the world I've just learned .. from the internet ..

Life on Mars performed on a Carillon .. there's only about 600 of these instruments left in the world I've just learned .. from the internet ..

That was amazing. I'd like to hear the rest of it.
Good ol Myf. She chose wisely. One of Australia's most respected music fans.

That was amazing. I'd like to hear the rest of it.
Good ol Myf. She chose wisely. One of Australia's most respected music fans.
And voted "Most Spankable Female" at least 4 years running.

We have one of them here. (Carillon, not Myf more's the pity).

Was she? Well that prompts a mental concept I'd never had before. MMMMMyf! Ow. She's a good sport.

A video I posted a year ago on occult references in Bowies music lyrics and videos has a second part that goes into the Blackstar video and lyric. Btw, this Youtube channel has tons of occult videos, and he sounds very well researched in these two Bowie videos.

Part 2

Here's Part 1
Nice summary of the many references Bowie makes to the occult arts and systems of belief. The link between his Thin White Duke and Lazarus wardrobe is a revelation.

Royal Mail has revealed it will release a range of stamps in tribute to David Bowie, featuring six of his most iconic album artworks. The covers are shown as vinyl sleeves on a white background, with an image of the vinyl itself emerging from the sleeve, which forms part of the shape of the stamp.

The album list includes Hunky Dory (1971), Aladdin Sane (1973), Heroes (1977), Let’s Dance (1983), Earthling (1997) and ★ (2016).

This is the latest in Royal Mail’s series of Music Giants stamp sets. In 2016 it released a similar range dedicated to Pink Floyd.

The range will be released on 14 March 2017 along with a range of prints and other souvenir ephemera, including a limited edition, framed giclee print of the Heroes stamp artwork. There is also a separate stamp sheet that features photos of David Bowie on four different live tours, including The Ziggy Stardust Tour (1973).

The stamp set alone is £6.48 and is available for pre-order.

http://www.itsnicethat.com/news/david-bowie-royal-mail-stamps-250117

David Bowie’s final recordings No Plan given “made-to-order” vinyl release

Featuring three tracks from the Blackstar sessions.

David Bowie’s final three recordings are set to be released on vinyl. Recorded during the sessions for the Star Man’s final album Blackstar, the four-track EP includes ‘No Plan,’ ‘Killing A Little Time’ and ‘When I Met You,’ along with Cast Album title track ‘Lazarus’.

Previously only released digitally, No Plan will appear as both a standard vinyl edition, due on 21 April, and a deluxe, limited edition made-to-order in a one-time-run. The numbered die-cut package features heavyweight 180g white vinyl, with special laser etching on the B-side and a 12″x12″ artwork lithograph.

The 'made to order' is already sold out which doesn't make any sense, and the standard pressing is £22.99 on the official website. Twenty three quid for an EP?

Luckily, Amazon are doing it for £13.15....

No idea if this pic is genuine or not, it comes from a site that's also very good at photoshopping .. David Bowie having a chuckle reading VIZ on a train .. I like to think it's real even though the blatantly blank white page suggests not ..

david-bowie-viz-1.jpg

What a lovely smile! Maybe it's real. Viz can certainly be funny enough.

I once bought a copy to post off to someone and sat on the town square to sneak a quick read first, and was still there belly-laughing an hour later.

Something about Johnny Fartpants entering a public flatulence competition and winning by a long neck, having, the adjudicator solemnly announced, 'farted your arse off into a tree.'

And there it was, swinging high in the branches, cheeks abloom like the petals of some exotic perennial. I was actually gasping with laughter.

Small things, y'know. ;)

Good enough for Bowie...

It is real, and don't quote me but I think it might be Mark Radcliffe's copy. Bowie picked it up at a radio interview with somebody, anyway.

Cool, I didn't know that .. and it's the page that looks white under his right index finger in the pic although that might just be the lighting ..
It's his shirt, not a blank page.

Let's Dance Carinda: Australian Outback town that starred in Bowie clip taps into history to kick-start new festival

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-10-...-town-taps-bowie-history-for-festival/9004634

It is an interesting video, and a great song. Nile Rodgers' Manhattan horns and funky drum n bass over a very dusty sepia setting and a visual story which seemingly has no connection to the lyric. Love the incongruity.

Last edited:
Back