• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

A Good Read: Book Suggestions & Recommendations

Am I the only English speaking person who finds Blackwood really hard to follow and understand?
Doubtful. I have read M.R. James, Lovecraft, Poe and Blackwood. I never entirely understand all of their writings. For me, it is because the words they use are either obsolete, or used in a context that is not generally understood now. I find them interesting and challenging. Reading several authors of this time does help me in understanding the writing.

I recall a 1970's interview with Michael Caine and he managed to verbalise what I was thinking.

He said coming back from America, he listened to 'posh' English people on TV and realised that he couldn't understand what they were saying. He also said that they don't move their mouth whilst speaking.

I have an Algernon Blackwood speaking clip on a blu ray 'Short Sharp Shocks' from BFI. I tried so hard to follow it but simply couldn't.

Am I the only English speaking person who finds Blackwood really hard to follow and understand?

I don't, but I'd very much like to see a passage that you find hard to follow.

Are you able to think of or find a good example?

I have an Algernon Blackwood speaking clip on a blu ray 'Short Sharp Shocks' from BFI. I tried so hard to follow it but simply couldn't.
I found an example on Youtube and found him to be perfectly understandable.
Maybe it's because we do speak differently now? Listen to any old recordings, and you'll find the accents to be plummy and clipped. The Queen's own pronunciation changed a bit over the years - when she was young, everything she said was clipped and sounded odd. This was less obvious as she got older.

Perhaps I may need to give him another listen. I only watched it once but found I had to concentrate and didn't fully follow it.

I shall give him another listen and report back.

I just started a dark fiction anthology Never Whistle at Night. It is edited by Shane Hawk and Theodore Van Alst Jr.

It is a collection of indigenous authors. Stephen Graham Jones wrote the introduction. It is because of his name and that it is an anthology that I picked it up. The bonus is that the stories do have indigenous folklore. I have always enjoyed folklore.

I have only read one author, Cherie Dimaline (The Marrow Thieves) prior to this book. Btw, she is an author worth reading. Ignore the YA label. I read because an author is good, regardless of a silly classification.

The first 3 stories are good (I haven't read more, yet). They naturally feature some indigenous folklore and the darkness and sorrow is palpable.

Nowt to do with Fortean subjects really, but I can't hold back on my admiration of this book. Mods: shuffle to the more appropriate location or delete - your call.
He's done what I wish I could've in a 'different life':

Abroad in Japan by Chris Broad.

Pub. By Bantam Books, Aug. 2023. 320 PP. H/B ISBN: 978-1787637078.
A young man, fresh out of an English university follows a whim and takes a chance: to relocate for more than a year in a country that he has little knowledge of, no language, in a new job - no experience!
Ten years later ...
This book is informative, realistic, and highly entertaining. The author, Chris Broad, is happy to embrace the good of the country and culture he immersed himself in, as well as the bad, the problematic and the downright strange!
By coming with few preconceptions, he manages to overcome culture shock, isolation, a lack of direction and confronts the difference from his own upbringing in the UK to his new home. He seems not to look at it with an 'outsiders' eye but a dispassionate one.
In writing style, he's passionate yet not overconfident. He 'speaks' well because he's more considerate of his role - a narrator and witness. While he's no expert, he downplays what becomes apparent - his willingness to learn and embrace his new setting.
As he says, he's been criticised on social media for presenting a 'warts and all' account ... but this comes from experience and actual immersion. At least he's lived there for more than a holiday and seen more than a movie while sitting in the West!
In conclusion, this book isn't a guide book as such, but part account of his experiences, part informative and interesting provider of trivial yet somehow important information, but most of all a reflective and appreciative account of a society so different from his own Western experience that he demonstrates a real love of the place.
Highly recommended, if only for the humour of the Fried-Chicken-Addicted-Bear and Doctor Jelly!

I have just read "Senlin Ascends" by Josiah Bancroft- a fascinating and gripping read, hard to catagorise but very enjoyable. Recommended to me by staff in the excellent Mr Bs bookshop in Bath, a real box of reading delights and surprises if you are ever in Quiet street area.

My bedside book is " Crime Scene Writing- how to write the science" by Brian Price. It was originally planned as a text book in the Study mate series. It is a ideal for those of us who occasionally shout at telly detectives* and get irritated by nonsense bullet calibres being spouted, my favourite chapters deal with Poisons and DNA- simple explainations, great stories and examples.

* I've been housebound a lot and have not quite masterd the remote control

Just had to share this today : The Bite Sized Audio version of Frank Cowper's 'Christmas Eve on a Haunted Hulk'
published in 1889, but set in 1870 : A chap decides to visit a friend who lives nearby some tidal mudflats and goes looking for ducks to shoot. He encounters a rotting ship which was formerly used as a prison hulk, and borrows a boat and punts out to explore.
This dunce ends up trapped on board the ship as darkness falls.....

Just had to share this today : The Bite Sized Audio version of Frank Cowper's 'Christmas Eve on a Haunted Hulk'
published in 1889, but set in 1870 : A chap decides to visit a friend who lives nearby some tidal mudflats and goes looking for ducks to shoot. He encounters a rotting ship which was formerly used as a prison hulk, and borrows a boat and punts out to explore.

See also: Deadman's Island

https://forums.forteana.org/index.php?threads/deadmans-island.67576/

https://forums.forteana.org/index.p...cryphal-transient-islands.62141/#post-1649807

Ah thanks . Hadn't noticed 'Deadman's Island. Found some useful background information here . One reason the Frank Cowper tale interests me is that it was published at a time when the 'hulks were no longer in use, but had not disappeared from the landscape. Almost like a later Victorian equivalent of Hauntology.
Obviously it is fiction, and though the lead character appears -just like Mr Cowper himself- to have an extensive knowledge of shipping, still silly enough to let himself get trapped on a wreck shortly before the December sun is starting to go down.

https://exploring-london.com/2021/10/29/lost-london-prison-hulks-on-the-thames/

Ah thanks . Hadn't noticed 'Deadman's Island. Found some useful background information here . One reason the Frank Cowper tale interests me is that it was published at a time when the 'hulks were no longer in use, but had not disappeared from the landscape. Almost like a later Victorian equivalent of Hauntology.
Obviously it is fiction, and though the lead character appears -just like Mr Cowper himself- to have an extensive knowledge of shipping, still silly enough to let himself get trapped on a wreck shortly before the December sun is starting to go down.

https://exploring-london.com/2021/10/29/lost-london-prison-hulks-on-the-thames/

The influence that looms large is Great Expectations, which, of course, was looking back to Dickens' own childhood.

Appreciate the link—wasn't familiar with it.

Last edited:
Just had to share this today : The Bite Sized Audio version of Frank Cowper's 'Christmas Eve on a Haunted Hulk'...

I quite like Simon Stanhope's Bitesized Audio Classics, but these days prefer Jasper L’Estrange’s, EnCrypted Horror channel. I’m picky with my voices and narration style, and the narrator of this channel suits my ears perfectly. (Although - a warning to @ramonmercado and any others who hail from the Land of Saints and Scholars - both Stanhope and L'Estrange's Irish accents would get them kicked out of a pub up Kilburn High Road, never mind Dublin.)

He is also a great curator of tales; I considered myself pretty familiar with the genre, but there are many stories in his back catalogue that I’d never come across. I’m a big fan of E F Benson and Hugh Walpole (the latter ridiculously neglected these days) and I was first drawn to the channel by his telling of some of their works.

One thing I’ve noticed, listening to his readings, is how an average tale can be completely transformed by a good telling – and that, if the written word in story form is simply an extension of the ancient process of verbal storytelling, then maybe the ghost story, being so often lifted out of its written form by the addition of the human voice, is the best modern example of this.

Although it will be something of a matter of taste, I think the following is a good example of that latter point – at least for me. Although well-written, I suspect I would have found the following a little meh, and possibly - in its denouement - a bit ridiculous, if I’d read it from the page. But in spoken form, it totally works for me (and actually, I do like the very early description of the way some houses immediately make our hackles rise: 'Emanated antagonism' is a phrase I've filed in my mental glossary for future use):

Also I should maybe point out that he narrates some of his own original stories - and the ones I've listened to are actually really very good.

I quite like Simon Stanhope's Bitesized Audio Classics, but these days prefer Jasper L’Estrange’s, EnCrypted Horror channel. I’m picky with my voices and narration style, and the narrator of this channel suits my ears perfectly. (Although - a warning to @ramonmercado and any others who hail from the Land of Saints and Scholars - both Stanhope and L'Estrange's Irish accents would get them kicked out of a pub up Kilburn High Road, never mind Dublin.)

Also I should maybe point out that he narrates some of his own original stories - and the ones I've listened to are actually really very good.
That's great. Thank you. I will check out EnCrypted Horror. Another audio channel I follow is Tony Walker's Classic Ghost Stories Podcast . Mr Walker also writes and narrates his own horror stories.

Wicked by Gregory Maguire. A wonderful revision of the Wicked Witch of the West's story.

I listened to an interview that was speaking of the musical and I had to make the recommendation of the book. Can't speak for the musical.

I have no idea if i have mentioned these before, i have a memory problem, so sorry if i have, but if you are a Stargate fan then i recommend the fandonium books The Legacy series which has six books which is an SGA story, that begins when the series ended, damn good,very well written by people who obviously know and love the series, no they are not terrible fan fiction lol, they are all writers, who happen to be fans. Also there are 3 stand alone SGA books and 32 SG1 books. i purchased them all on Amazon.

In the mid-to-later Seventies my Force was in the process of computerising its criminal records. Our Force CRO’s records were on what was effectively a huge electric Rolodex about 6 feet wide, mounted into the wall of the CRO.

Some of the record cards were ancient, or bore references to ancient offences. I only mention it here because l distinctly recall that one offender’s card recorded that he had served his first custodial sentence on a prison hulk.

Now l feel old.

maximus otter

In the mid-to-later Seventies my Force was in the process of computerising its criminal records. Our Force CRO’s records were on what was effectively a huge electric Rolodex about 6 feet wide, mounted into the wall of the CRO.

Some of the record cards were ancient, or bore references to ancient offences. I only mention it here because l distinctly recall that one offender’s card recorded that he had served his first custodial sentence on a prison hulk.

Now l feel old.

maximus otter
Well I once met a lady who remembered seeing the Titanic sail past the Isle of Wight (she was very young at the time, and ancient when I met her, it was also a few years ago). I think having met her was wonderful.

Well I once met a lady who remembered seeing the Titanic sail past the Isle of Wight (she was very young at the time, and ancient when I met her, it was also a few years ago). I think having met her was wonderful.
I suppose they'll be a day when the headlines will say Last known person who remembers the time before the internet has died.

Back