• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

A Rather Unwise Tattoo

It does look nice; you just have to ignore the despairing classicists everywhere he goes :chuckle:
You're missing the point'ere. It's only a mistake in the sense of the Grocer's Apostrophe. :wink2:

A shrewdly-punctuated sign offering, say, BANANA'S might lure in pedants anxious to correct, who then stay to purchase APRICOT'S or TOMATO'S.

Our lad's Latin/Greek mashup will similarly prove a talking-point at the Despairing Classicists' Singles' Club. :nods:

I used to know a girl who'd just had a great time at a Glastonbury festival where she'd got off with some bloke called Adam. She got back to work super excited about it all (fair enough) and told me her and Adam had arranged to meet up again. We worked with kids with learning difficulties and behavioural problem, part of our job involved using Makaton symbols as a form of writing.

She told me she was going to have 'NEVER FORGET THE SUNSET AT GLASTONBURY WITH ADAM' tattooed on her arm in Makaton symbols. I told her I thought that was a good idea but to add the 'WITH ADAM' a bit later if him and her did or didn't hit it off back in the real world and when they weren't off their faces. When they finally met up back in the real world, she told me "He was really boring!?". She owes me a pint. (months later she crashed my car and after that we slept together) :curt:

I new this woman once who had 'NEVER FORGET YOU DON'T OWE SWIFTY A NEW CAR, YOU PAID IT IN KIND' tattooed on her left thigh. She now has 'DON'T BOTHER WITH PETE AGAIN, HE WAS RUBBISH' tattooed on her right thigh.

I new this woman once who had 'NEVER FORGET YOU DON'T OWE SWIFTY A NEW CAR, YOU PAID IT IN KIND' tattooed on her left thigh. She now has 'DON'T BOTHER WITH PETE AGAIN, HE WAS RUBBISH' tattooed on her right thigh.
She didn't write it off. I was giving her a driving lesson in a red brick industrial estate car park and she knocked a lamp post over opposite a McDonalds so we got out of there sharpish and somehow didn't get caught. She coughed up the cash for the damage to my car without needing to be asked. So it would be 'DON'T TELL McDONALDS I OWE THEM A LAMPOST' to be accurate with 'THANKS FOR LENDING ME THAT CASH PETE' on her right thigh. Probably.

1000015777.png

Of course it might not be a mistake, she could be diabetic.

I keep waiting to see a story about someone dying of skin cancer because they didnt catch it in time because it developed in a tatoo'd place on their skin which hid the discoloration from the cancerous cells.

A lot of tattooists study the skin they are asked to work with. A responsible artist - I know of three - actually study the biology of skin.
A tattoo might 'hide' the discolouration' of a cell, but you might feel it through the pattern too. I can still feel my ol' BCG scar on my shoulder under the tat.

I keep waiting to see a story about someone dying of skin cancer because they didnt catch it in time because it developed in a tatoo'd place on their skin which hid the discoloration from the cancerous cells.
It's more likely that a tattooist would notice a dangerous-looking blemish the the owner couldn't see and save their life.

It's more likely that a tattooist would notice a dangerous-looking blemish the the owner couldn't see and save their life.
Only when you're getting the tattoo, I'm thinking about a cancer developing in the years after that.

True. But those are pretty low/high* odds.

* I'm no gambler. I mean, it's quite unlikely considering the skin area. Unless, tattoos contribute to skin cancer ... which I dunno if it's been questioned.

Only when you're getting the tattoo, I'm thinking about a cancer developing in the years after that.
Skin cancer brings a change in both skin colour and texture. It's still possible to check.
Here's an Australian video about it. Aussies are often reminded to look for skin cancer.

Last edited:
Everyone to their own choices when it comes to body mods. But I'd say you have to have a plan ahead.
Firstly, how d'you think to earn money to live? I mean, there's not many jobs in 'freakshows' anymore, and the ink would have to be good to get a job with a tattooist.
Ultimately, we should live in a society where we are judged by our character and actions, rather than appearance - but we don't. We have long used 'first appearances' to make judgements, but even I have been 'judged' wrongly just because I have long hair and a beard. All my tattoos can be covered - not because I'm ashamed of them but because I know there's situations when it might not be appropriate. Sad, but there it goes. We live in the real world, not the lovely theoretical world.
My stepson got 'a friend' to do some crap 'graffiti tag' tattoo on his arm while they were stoned. It took him a while to save up for a proper artist to cover it with a black panther. We all make decisions that, at the time, seem a good idea but turn out a mistake. When it comes to full face tattoos, I really think it's a silly thing to do.

Everyone to their own choices when it comes to body mods. But I'd say you have to have a plan ahead.
Firstly, how d'you think to earn money to live? I mean, there's not many jobs in 'freakshows' anymore, and the ink would have to be good to get a job with a tattooist.
Ultimately, we should live in a society where we are judged by our character and actions, rather than appearance - but we don't. We have long used 'first appearances' to make judgements, but even I have been 'judged' wrongly just because I have long hair and a beard. All my tattoos can be covered - not because I'm ashamed of them but because I know there's situations when it might not be appropriate. Sad, but there it goes. We live in the real world, not the lovely theoretical world.
My stepson got 'a friend' to do some crap 'graffiti tag' tattoo on his arm while they were stoned. It took him a while to save up for a proper artist to cover it with a black panther. We all make decisions that, at the time, seem a good idea but turn out a mistake. When it comes to full face tattoos, I really think it's a silly thing to do.
Also, with those full face jobs, it's highly unlikely that he had them all done on one day. So he's had some, and then some more and then filled in the gaps... surely at some point he must have thought 'hm, maybe that's enough now', even given how addictive tattoos can be?

It's the tattoo'd black eyeballs that freak me out... Not because of what they look like, but I can't help thinking of how much it would HURT.... When I first heard of people doing this I thought it was an April fool.... I thought it cannot be possible without it blinding the person? It makes me feel so squeamish !!

Alas it is possible and more and more are getting it done . It can't be good for your eyes surely?

It's the tattoo'd black eyeballs that freak me out... Not because of what they look like, but I can't help thinking of how much it would HURT.... When I first heard of people doing this I thought it was an April fool.... I thought it cannot be possible without it blinding the person? It makes me feel so squeamish !!

Alas it is possible and more and more are getting it done . It can't be good for your eyes surely?
They'll find out if it's dangerous in years to come.

Ian Watkins' highly angular signature made a striking tattoo. Reminds me of the unusually pointy clown make-up worn by serial killer John Wayne Gacy. :thought:

Back