• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Alien Big Cats ('ABCs')

In your opinion what are alien big cats most likely to be?

• Escapees from collections, breeding in the UK countryside

Votes: 57 48.3%
  • A species of endemic British big cat somehow overlooked by science

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Zooform Phenomena - animal-shaped manifestations of paranormal activity

Votes: 6 5.1%
  • Misidentifications of big dogs, normal cats etc

Votes: 28 23.7%
  • A big hoax

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Summat else

Votes: 4 3.4%
  • All of the above

Votes: 23 19.5%

• Total voters
I have not heard anything new on the Antrim hunt since last week. Unlikely that it is still going on. Will get a couple of Northern papers and see if there is any update.

Big cats now official in East Yorkshire.

http://www.hulldailymail.co.uk/disp...layContent&sourceNode=61025&contentPK=7224600

NO THREAT BY BIG CATS

14:30 - 29 September 2003

East Yorkshire: Police say there are two big cats on the prowl in the area.

But Sue Rhodes, the force's wildlife officer, today said they pose no threat to the public.

There have been 11 sightings so far this year - and more than 70 in the past five years.

Officers say the animals stick to the countryside and may be the result of a 1970s clampdown on the keeping of wild animals.

Big cats were a fashionable pet until the Dangerous Wild Animals Act came into force. It required them to be licensed and many owners released their pets into the wild.

"There is some scepticism but sightings are too frequent and uniform not to be right," said Ms Rhodes.

"We have been monitoring them and know where they travel.

"They stick to open places and avoid people," she said.

It seems a long time for animals to be living in the wild undetected if they have been there since the 70's.

But if the police say it is true it must be so.

I am sure the police never form opinions based on hearsay and unsubstantiated rumour, after all.

The police seem to have started being more cautious in the last couple of years, but it really doesn't sound like they have the slightest evidence either.

The Loch Ness monster has been sighted plenty of times too - maybe they should be warning people not to approach the Loch?

Urgent

Right now, on BBC Ceefax page 141, is a report that DNA analysis of hair samples found in Lincolnshire after sightings of a big black cat reveal it to be the hair of a Black Leopard.

There is no mention of it whatsoever on the BBC website, however (curious as they own Ceefax..)

Can someone else look it up and verify that it's there, and then maybe we can see if the report ever sees the light of day in the wider media (I bet it doesn't...)

Seen it!

This is as reconstructed by myself; one sentence per minute... :p

Lincs Big Cat Proved to Be Lepoard
A big cat spotted in rural linconshire has been scientifically identified as a black leopard.

The animal was seen in a derelict caravan overlooking the Linconshire wolds in early July.

It evaded capture, but left some hair behind which police sent to forensic scientists in the UK and US.

Black leopards are indiginous to Africa - the one in Linconshire is thought to have escaped from a private collection or zoo.

This is odd, cos normally the media leap all over any report of an ABC, however vague, but when tangible proof is offered they seem less than enthusiastic.

One to watch - if anyone sees any corroborative reports of this, from whatever source, can you please post it here?

TYVM :).

PS - interesting to note the old "escaped from a zoo or private collection" line (crashed circus trains being less common in East Anglia these days, presumably :rolleyes: )

Horncastle (lincs) Black cat

Yes you are right, this one is notable in its lack of coverage
anyway here you are.. there was a follow up story on BBC Look North last night, Quite funny as the first time they reported it they treated it in the classic "not at all serious News but funny any way" section and while interveiwing in the bloke that filmed it they where fairly patronising.

Last night reported that the hairs found had come back with the Black leopard match.. It was a scream when they re-interviewd the bloke again, same reporter this time TOTALLY serious not a hint of irony, And this fellow was.. " I d told you did'nt I, I told youse and you dindnt belive me..." Absolutely fantastic ..

anyway heres a link to the story I could find

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/humber/3146742.stm

Horncastle (lincs) Big cat

Got it (sort of) if you are quick BBC look north has this report in it's watchable latest editions go to the link below and click on the 1830 East Yorkshire-lincolnshire (its a realplayer file and about 2nd/3rd story in)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/england/looknorthyorkslincs/

But I think this will be updated with the evenings news so wont be up for long.

I was cutting a lawn today and saw something interesting!

It was just starting to get dark, about 6:15. I looked up and thought 'Wow! A black fox!'. It sauntered over the lawn and into a nearby hedge. I realised it didn't move like a fox, but like a cat. It was very dark grey and black, sort of 'brindled' (?). It had a huge bushy tail (like a fox) that was black.
Leaving the mower engine running, I crept up to the hedge and peered through. It was in the neighbours garden, I made a noise and it turned to see me. The face seemed 'flat' and it had very pointy little ears. Then it legged it.

Now, can you get huge, almost black tabbies? Cos that's what I thought it could be.
The area where I saw it has a local rumour of a big cat. I wondered it this was the creature that was being reported. :)

Looks like the Lincs leopard claim hasn't stood up - or at least it didn't make it on to the BBC Lincs web page on the beast
http://www.bbc.co.uk/lincolnshire/unexplained/lindsey_leopard.shtml

And the Irish big cats have vanished into air, into thin air - which amkes you wonder whether they were such stuff as dreams were made on rather than flesh and blood.

Black foxes and 'brant foxes' are not unknown in the UK.

Big black tabbies? Yes, lots - most domestic cats, including black ones, have an underlying tabby pattern according to my vet. We had a big cat that started out pure black, and when he got older developed a beautiful dark-red/black tabby coat.

The hair DNA story is here:

Experts prove beast is real
DNA tests have proved conclusively that hairs found in Hemingby are those of a wild cat belonging to the leopard family.
And the Horncastle News is happy to hand over a £100 reward to Sandy and Julie Richardson for their authenticated images of the beast

In July this year, Sandy ventured into the caravan at the end of his garden to get a spare spring for his lawnmower.
He said: "I was looking along the shelves when I felt something staring at me. I turned around and this big cat was right beside me. It's eyes were like orange street lights."
The beast opened its mouth in a soundless snarl: "I could see its big brown teeth and it started to move towards me. I backed out the door and managed to shut it."
Sandy called to his wife Julie, but as she approached the door, the cat shot out and ran away through the undergrowth.

The next day Sandy spotted the cat in the window of the caravan and managed to capture some footage of it.
As a result wild cat experts, a team of armed response police officers and vets descended on the house in Green Lane in a bid to catch the creature. The fire brigade were called to examine the caravan using heat seeking equipment.
Neighbours were told to stay indoors while the police and experts were at work, and although the cat was not found in the lair, hairs were later gathered by the police and taken to a laboratory in Essex.

The results are now back and prove conclusively that the hairs were from a member of the big cat family.
Police are investigating a claim that big cats were released from a private zoo in the Horncastle area several years ago.

15 October 2003
If this is true, we'll have to remove all ABC threads from Crypto and put them in Mainstream News! :D

Is this the most impressive ABC photo ever?

THIS IS BLACK LEOPARD COUNTRY. PLEASE BE AWARE
Danny's plea to council to take threat seriously

Is this the picture that proves conclusively a big cat is roaming the Forest?
It has been given to the Review this week by Danny Nineham, the local man who has spent years investigating reports of big cat sightings all over England and Wales.

He has released the picture to coincide with a letter he has sent to local councillors asking them to take seriously the possibility that a big cat will attack a person in the Forest or Wye Valley.

Danny has built up a huge database of big cat sightings, many in the Forest and Wye Valley.

Now he has written to Forest of Dean district councillors urging them to take his findings and the situation seriously.

He writes: "For over 20 years I have been stockpiling evidence which is now overwhelming. I am one man at my own expense day by day trying to deal with a national problem that no-one else is interested in...until, sadly, someone is killed.

"I have dozens of cases which I am trying to deal with which are very serious, involving sworn eyewitness testimonies concerning sightings of very large male black leopards which have lost their fear of man and which are starting to terrorise local people.

These individuals have nowhere else to turn to for help except myself. I have become a 24 hour helpline fro these people."

Danny says the picture printed here and the account with it relates to an incident in the Forest near Boys Grave, Speech House, in June.

He says there have been big cat sightings in that area of the Forest since 1994.

He told the Review: "They have come from many people including locals and visitors, among them an ambulance crew and a local driving instructor. What concerns me most is the increase in close aggressive encounters, and I am worried someone will be attacked and even killed."

He is asked the council to press for signs to be erected advising walkers to take care. He suggests: 'THIS IS BLACK LEOPARD COUNTRY. PLEASE BE AWARE'.

Danny said he was fully aware many people were sceptical of big cat sightings and that others had attempted to ridicule his work.

"I am now convinced about this picture which was captured by a visitor on a weekend trip to the Forest who disturbed the cat while walking with his camera trying to catch the morning light," he said.
The photographer told Danny: "I managed to trip the shutter before I turned hastily the other way. Although blurred I think it is obvious what this is and after doing some research I thought you would be the best place to send this copy of the photo.

"Once disturbed the subject's initial reaction was aggressive but, I believe, this was purely out of shock. Once I turned it did not give chase and I did not see or hear it again."

Danny gives talks to many organisations both locally and further afield and says he would like to address councillors.

-The Forest of Dean and Wye Valley Review, w/e 24 Oct. 2003, front page.

An American Sighting

My wife works at a state facility for the handicapped. When she started working there, she'd been told about a "panther" on the grounds. A month or so ago, she saw it. It was about 6 AM. The animal just walked across the street and into the shrubs near one of the cottages. It was black, about the size of a labrador, but definitely a cat.
While there is a FLorida Panther (Felis concolor coryi) it's a puma or mountain lion sub-species. And the official stance is that there aren't any in this part of the state. Also, we are told that there have never been melanistic puma's found north of Mexico.
On the other hand, Florida teams with exotic animals. There are feral populations of monkeys in the state, as well as a variety of birds and fish, including budgies and peacock bass. A recent FT breaking news mentioned a breeding population of Nile monitors in the SW part of the state. But we have big cats. Lotsa big cats. I know of two "sanctuaries" within an hour's drive of my home, not to mention the unlicensed animals. So who knows what may be roaming around here.

Sighting in Worcestershire

I had a brief sighting last Saturday (01/11/03). We were driving from Bromsgrove to Kidderminster on the A448 and I saw something in a field which was just past the village of Chadesley Corbett.

It was in the corner of the field, quite close to the fence and the road, I couldn't see the whole of the body because it was sitting in long grass, but I could see the head and the top part of the body.

It was a sandy brown in colour, and my first impression was that it was a lion. It had rounded ears, rather than pointed ones like a dog and seemed to be too large to be a dog. I didn't see a head. The whole thing lasted less than a minute, so I didn't get the chance to take much in, but the shape of the head and the lower jaw gave me the impression that this was not a dog.

When I told my dad, he thought it might be something animal shaped in the field, so we drove back that way later in the afternoon, but there were no tree stumps or anything else in the bottom half of the field which I could have mistaken for a big cat.

My dad is now convinced it's a puma because of the colour, but I am still not entirely sure of what I saw.:confused:

Hex

Re: Sighting in Worcestershire

Originally posted by Hex Kitten
but I am still not entirely sure of what I saw.

Hex

Spoken like a true Fortean, well done for not jumping to conclusions, be great if you see it agian.:)

Another one!

:rolleyes:

On my local news programme (Look North) last night, a woman at Holmfirth was being interviewed about her sighting of a panther.
The police are taking it seriously, needless to say the tv reporter didn't!

Fallen Angel said:
Perhaps a Maine Coon Cat? They can be very large.

Wow! That looks very much like what I saw!

Can they get up to the size of a fox, say?

(I knew New England seamen would be something to do with 'Maine Shags'! :D )

David Raven said:
Wow! That looks very much like what I saw!

Can they get up to the size of a fox, say?

(I knew New England seamen would be something to do with 'Maine Shags'! :D )

How big is a fox? LOL. I've seen toms that are very big, 15" at least at the shoulder and roughly 30" nose to tail. Big for domesticated cats. And they are solid critters too, their size is not all fur and fluff on a dinky ittle kitty body.

They are said to be related to Norwegian Forest Cats, which in turn are a cross of domesticated long hairs and scottish wildcats.

The face seemed 'flat' and it had very pointy little ears. Then it legged it.

The pointy ears identify this as a "small" cat, ie of the genus Felis, rather than a "big" cat of the genus Panthera eg leopard or jaguar, as these have rounded ears. Note that the puma is classified as a small cat!
I'm guessing that you saw a large domestic or feral cat.

Oops!
The first line of my previous post is a quote from one of David Raven's earlier posts. I managed to delete the bits that say "quote" when I edited it. Sorry David, just call me Mr. Thicky!

I have two Maine coons, the male , a big ginger bugger is big, from a distance people have mistaken him for a fox.

Reward for shooting Lincs Big cat!!!!

In the course of watching the local news tonight (Look north) Lincolnshire I was gobsmacked to see that Sporting shooting magazine is offering a reward to any one who SHOOTS the lincolnshire big cat,

Now note that sport shooting magazine is a new publication (in it's second issue) and this smacks of a big fat publicity stunt I still found the whole thing pretty grim.

For realplayer user's the(tonights) episode can be found at http://www.bbc.co.uk/england/looknorthyorkslincs/ 6minutes: 35 seconds into the report, it feature an interview with the editor of the same magazine.

What can I say..... I am a country lad and used to shooting and such like but this just left me.....
:furious: :mad: :nooo: :nah:

black leopard lives in my street

In recent weeks there have been numerous sightings of a black leopard in both linwood and johnstone, some of which have been in the next street over. Its a weird feeling to be part of an area involved in one of these sightings as it is now genuinely possible that I could see an ABC personally. So far the main sightings have included, one carrying a dead animal past a school, a mother and cub being sighted together and one crossing a railway line between johnstone and paisley. And these are just the ones that have been confirmed as being an ABC, there are many others like my mum who caught sight of a large black object in her backyard which had moved away before she could get a closer look. Other details have included hair samples which have been sent away for analysis, police searches, and schoolchildren being told not to go out at night.
These sightings have increased in recent weeks as this animal was briefly sighted near Johnstone Hospital last year.

German ABC's.....

In 1995, I was preparing for an exercise in northern germany with my unit. At the briefing, german army officer took the podium and advised us to beware of "Big Black Cats, like panthers" seen in the woods. We were to fire blank rounds if they approached.

As none were subsequently encountered, I still wonder if we were the subjects of a rare example of german humour....:rolleyes:

Unidentified Feline Objects

Aww, come on guys!

Blurry photos, misidentifications, lack of physical evidence, terrifying encounters leaving witnesses shaken?

Haven't we all heard this before?

These buggers are just as elusive as UFOs. There's something supernatural going on here, despite the occasional dead cat - more often than not shown to be an escapee.

Is there a chance these are animals living in another dimension, interacting with us only occasionally? Sure, it's a far-fetched idea, but I'm just as sceptical as to a growing population of ABCs roaming our countryside. As others have remarked, it's never easy to find these kinds of elusive animals in the wild, but let's be honest - we don't live in a very large country. If they lived here, we'd have found them by now.

Re: Unidentified Feline Objects

Filthy le Dog said:
Aww, come on guys!

Blurry photos, misidentifications, lack of physical evidence, terrifying encounters leaving witnesses shaken?

Haven't we all heard this before?

These buggers are just as elusive as UFOs. There's something supernatural going on here, despite the occasional dead cat - more often than not shown to be an escapee.

Is there a chance these are animals living in another dimension, interacting with us only occasionally? Sure, it's a far-fetched idea, but I'm just as sceptical as to a growing population of ABCs roaming our countryside. As others have remarked, it's never easy to find these kinds of elusive animals in the wild, but let's be honest - we don't live in a very large country. If they lived here, we'd have found them by now.

I've had similar thoughts myself. Hypothesis: a species can evolve an ability to switch between dimensions. This ability could be used to hunt prey, or evade predators. Needless to say, this would infer a huge advantage over competitors in either dimension. Similarly, the creature could have originated in this or the "other" dimension, where the laws governing such a transition may be different. This theory could be applied to any elusive creature sighted over years. Bigfoot, Nessie..... the list goes on!

Might be a good idea for a book or film also....

Exactly!

I've been harbouring this theory for a while now especially with "exotic" cryptids, like Bigfoot, Lake Monsters, etc. and indeed the UFO phenomenon and to an extent little people.

These things must be inter-dimensional. Whether or not they control their ability to drift between dimensions, I wouldn't like to speculate - I'm sure in the case of cryptids they must be as shocked as we are when they find themselves in an alien world.

We get so tantalisingly close to them, but they just seem to be just out of reach. Like a post I put in much earlier in this thread - there was a film from a police helicopter where they were tracking an ABC on the camera - it disappeared into a bush and officers on foot turned up to find...nothing! It had completely disappeared, despite the helicopter still hovering overhead where it would have spotted the cat legging it.

There's something more to this than escaped or wild cats being purely "at large".

Back