• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Anyone Seen A Ghost?

Tyger Lily said:
Nope, geniune light bulbs a la B&Q.

Have a rehearsal tonight so will do some discreet detective work.

get any where with this tyger?

spillage said:
LOL! My thoughts exactly!
It was quite cheeky wasn't it?
I also think it's a load of bollocks suggesting someone who doesn't believe that psychological sensations are the result of being touched by "Baby Jesus" etc are lacking in some form of "Normal" function or part of the brain.
That's downright nasty.
But I don't suggest that people who are conservative natured have part of their brains missing!
"God Blind"....Now that has to be arrogant!

None of your "quotes" in the reply to my message were actually phrases used in my last post, apart from "God blind" which I put into quotes because I realise it is a slightly dodgey phrase.:mad: I was looking for a phrase like "colour blind". The anology isn't perfect (there are ways you can prove the existence of the the full spread of the electromagnetic spectrum) but it is almost impossible to imagine what the perception of an extra primary colour would be like (infact 'm sure some one wil recognise that a 4th primary colour was part of the plot of a Sci-Fi story).
I'm not suggesting anyone is not "normal" or brain damaged or anything else. (A very revealing word "normal" if you do want to get postmodern...) As I said there is no way, by deffinition, I can prove the existence of my subjective experiences. I'm quite sure my experience isn't unique to my faith either. I would be fascinated to hear what the religious epiphanies of Muslims, Hindus, Pagans, Buddists etc are like. Most faiths seem to have them. As for ghosts and shadow people - if these too are experienced in the brain then we will only ever have subjective accounts of them.

Austen said:
I would be fascinated to hear what the religious epiphanies of Muslims, Hindus, Pagans, Buddists etc are like. Most faiths seem to have them.
I find both your posts intriguing. I guess I really don't have an epiphany and I don't really adhere to any particular religion. Me, I've always sensed that an intelligence permeates the Universe and that this intelligence can individuate at times. I suppose if you wanted to call this intelligence (or consciousness) "God" that would be fine by me. I always viewed it as Satan myself. I swear I don't say this to be disagreeable or confrontational (and I don't call myself a Satanist - that seems so petty to me) but even as a kid I felt that it was this flow of consciousness - this constant of change - that the Devil truely represented. I guess I always liked him better than that grumpy old Yaweh/Jehovah.:D Also, I can remember being in school and learning about how primitive peoples believed there was a soul incarnate in even inanimate objects and saying to myself "Oh yeah, I know what they're talking about. :) " Replace the word "soul" with "consciousness" and that's basically my outlook. Does that make me an animist? :hmm:

But anyway, has anyone seen a ghost lately? :D ;)

mah said:
get any where with this tyger?

Well, I did ask sort of underhandedly and all I got told was that there were a few incidents which were deemed as "odd".

The wardrobe is in the basement where bits of the set and big canvas flats are kept which have been known to "fall over" even if lodged behind something as though someone has pulled them out, or move to different locations although this was dismissed as "probably people moving them but no one admitting to it".

The current wardrobe mistress doesn't like going down there alone and prefers to have a member of the company with her or take a radio. She has been known to hum or sign hymns too!

Once I get to meet the lighting technicians I may ask again but so far no one can explain the lights going off and on.

One of the older members of the current cast said "Ghosts!? 'Course we've got ghosts, we're a bloody theatre!" Which did make me chuckle.

Oh, and the seats in the theatre tend to flip up and down of their own accord. I think this maybe vibration but I shall do a little experiment whilst waiting for my scenes at this sunday's rehearsal.

I also brought some pizza in and it disappeared although no one claims to have eaten it. The little boy playing baby macduff did have puree round his chops but I still think it was supernatural! :p

Bannik said:
I always viewed it as Satan myself. I swear I don't say this to be disagreeable or confrontational (and I don't call myself a Satanist - that seems so petty to me) but even as a kid I felt that it was this flow of consciousness - this constant of change - that the Devil truely represented.

You almost sound like a Cathar to me! Is Satan the name your really looking for (with its implications of evil) or are you thinking more of the pagan horned gods?:devil:

Tyger,

Don't look too hard for proof of ghosts, mention to the electricians that you've had a problem with the lights, let them answer without your input. see if it compares with your exerience then decide.

Austen said:
You almost sound like a Cathar to me! Is Satan the name your really looking for (with its implications of evil) or are you thinking more of the pagan horned gods?:devil:
I say "Satan" because I raised a Catholic and so that's the name which is more ingrained in me. I suppose I could say "Pan" or even "Shiva" as they seem to me to represent the same thing - expansiveness and unboundedness. It's just that I wasn't raised a Pagan or a Hindu so those names don't hold the same sentimental value to me. "Devil" is just the word I seem to fall back on. I really don't see the Devil as "evil." Nature is both beautiful and deadly, but niether good nor bad. I don't go around calling myself a "Satanist" and the only time I share these views is on this mb or with trusted friends and relatives with open minds, so I've never really had any problems stemming from the evil connotations of the word. I find many of the things Jesus had to say quite true ("Before my father I am" - I just love that one :D ), but I don't call myself a Christian. Labels just seem so limiting to me. Cathar? - I know I've heard of them, I'll have to look them up. I know they were all persectued for something.

Bannik, actually you don't sound likr a Cathar when you expand upon your belief more. They believed that the world and its creator was evil (I think) - your beliefs are almost the opposite. You sound more like a panentheist (different to a pantheist).

None of your "quotes" in the reply to my message were actually phrases used in my last post, apart from "God blind" which I put into quotes because I realise it is a slightly dodgey phrase.

Austen......I apologise. I was particularly drunk last night after finding out at last that I wasn't going to lose my vision!(Touches wood!)

The speechmarks weren't meant to be quotes, just generalised word usages that I didn't neceserally want to use. ie: "So and So--As they say".

I hope I didn't cause offense.:)

Si thi ;)

I hope this is an appropriate thread to post this, as though it's something weird I don't think there's nearly enough to it to justify starting a new thread.

Earlier this afternoon (while posting on here) I got a nasty shock when the shelf behind me fell off the wall and crashed down on to me and the floor around me. Luckily I only received a heavy whack from a bound collection of Real Life Crimes magazine, so I was more surprised and annoyed by the whole thing.

Anyway, I just came back up here a short while ago, entered the room, refreshed the pages I was looking at earlier, and went to the loo. As I was coming back in I heard some of the tapes and CD's, stacked up on the stereo that sits underneath where the shelf collapsed, moving about. When I looked nothing was moving, and as far as I can tell there's nothing there that would have caused them to.

I cleared up the mess from the collapse earlier, and the tapes/cds are stacked up in a tidy pile that isn't loose.

As I said, just a little thing but my reaction is :confused:

I've never seen a ghost, but I have heard one. Here's the (fairly long) story:
My maternal grandfather dies just after Christmas, 1976, when I was about 15. When he was alive, he was terrified that someone would fall into the disused sewer that was in the yard, even though the opening was, of course, covered.
In the spring of 1977, a workman came to weed the garden and cut down some trees. It was a Saturday, so I was at home and in bed. I was asleep, but I awoke to hear my grandfather screaming for help and calling my mother's name. After nearly wetting myself, I ran to the garden. My uncles and my mother were already there, pulling the workman out of the sewer. Apparently, the recent rains had softened the ground around the sewer opening, and, when the workman walked up to it, it crumbled, dropping him into the hole. He was able to hold on and screamed for help. So that's what I had heard, right?
When I asked my mother what she had heard, she wouldn't answer at first. Eventually, and very much upset, she told me she had heard my grandfather's voice.

I've seen two.
The first was when I was living in a pub. I awoke and to see whay can only be described a young man sitting on the floor his back against the wall, his face was just about a foot higher than mine. He had blonde hair, appeared to be wearing wire rimmed glasses and a frilly white shirt. My first assumption was that someone had broken in and had had too much free drink and collapsed beside my bed thus waking me, so I threw back the bedclothes and in the returning motion punched the "person" in the face.
Instead of hitting something solid, my hand appeared to slow down and just gently touch the wall. As I drew back my hand the "person" slowly turned to look at me and gently shimmered away like the ripples you get on a pond having thrown a stone in.
I bravely disappeared under the blankets and waited till someone shouted to me to get up in the morning.
I had lived in the pub since I was a chid and quite often woke up in the middle of the night to hear people shuffling and playing dominoes even though the pub was shut.

The second encounter was about 5 years ago.
I was travelling as a passenger in a van with a friend, it was around 4 am. We were going round a corner when I saw a man in his fifties, dressed in a blazer,grey trousers,white shirt and white old fashioned plimsols. I expected my mate to slow or swerve, he did niether. I screamed "Stop" he slammed on the brakes.
The "person" turned to face the van with a surprised expression as we hit him and he disappeared from sight.
My mate asked what was wrong. I said "We've hit someone." and jumped out the van.
I looked under the van, walked back along the road looking in the grass along the verge and couldn't find a thing.
My mate swore that he hadn't seen anything, there was no damage to the van and no body. As far as he was concerned I must have imagined it.
The "person" seemed so real that I could still pick him out of line up today.

Random's post made me rememeber my aunt's wake.

I was standing in the kitchen when one of my relatives was leaving my deceased aunt's house. My uncle was thanking the relative for coming and another auntie (no blood relation, married my Mum's brother) said "yes, thanks it was so nice to see you" or something like that.

I jerked my head up and my brother who was standing next to me asked me what the matter was. I could hardly speak because it hadn't been my aunt who had spoken but my dead aunt. Never been so freaked in my life.

I may have posted this before (can't remember!!) but I swear to this day, 17 years on, that my deceased aunt used my living one as a channel.

Ghost Dogs?

I worked for a while at the local animal shelter. Normally, it's a fairly busy place, lots of people and noise. But Sundays were different. There were only two people working, one in the cat rooms off the lobby, and one in the kennels. When I worked in the kennels on Sunday, I found that I would hear dogs walking along the corridors. It sometimes sounded like there were 6 or 8 dogs trotting along with me as I did my cleaning, feeding, etc. For a long time, I did my best to try to ignore it. But one day one of my co-workers says, "I hate working Sundays. It always sounds like there are dogs running loose." We compared notes, and found that we heard similar things, and had similar impressions. I suppose that the vast numbers of animals euthanized at the shelter has to leave some of "psychic residue." I know that performing euthanasia certianly leaves a mark on those doing it.

A close friend of mine claims he had ghost smells in a house he lived in. When he first went to view the house there wa a very strong smell of perfume in the bathroom even though he place had been empty for months. Later he used to get the smells of fresh coffee and frying egg and bacon, even though the woman who lived next door on one side only ate cereals and the elderly man on the other couldn' cook for himself.
Apparently all the smells were nice ones and quite strong. Obviously the ghost liked him.:)
Any one else had the experience of a positive ghost? I often feel there are good places in the same way as their are bad ones. certain houses feel like they "like" you.

When I was five I saw a ghost of a tailplane sticking out of a sanddune where I lived (looking up towards it) and a man standing nearby, wearing ablouson jacket I think, although it was in silhouette.

Nearly 20 years later my mother got talking to a local history buff and told him the story. He got excited because 2 planes had crashed there during the war - one British, one German. Everyone survived, happily and the the Germans were taken to a POW camp in Skegness.

I also saw a black cat disappear whilst walking up the stairs in front of me about 10 years ago. I was wondering what a black cat was doing in an animal-less house when it just blinked out of existence. It was the middle of the day and I was sitting on a sofa in the living room and had just glanced out to the stairs.

This same house also boasted an 'old man' who threw a house plant at a friend when she was staying in a bedroom. She didn't like staying there again.

I have a recent siting.

About 2 weeks ago, my mom was babysitting my two nephews overnight.

My youngest nephew (2 years old) was already asleep and she stopped in the guest room to drop something off before she put my other nephew (5 years old) to bed upon entering the room, she heard a soft voice, male, chuckling. She thought it was in her head and ignored it until she looked down and saw my nephew frozen. She asked what was the matter and he said he heard someone laughing.

According to her, there was no TV or radio on in the house. They also have a big yard, so it probably wasn't a neighbor.

Re the ghostly animals:

My one experience of the feel of a ghost was at a friend's Victorian house in Brixton in the early 90's. I slept on a futon in their spare bedroom one night. I felt little paws going across my face - stopping, as if encountering a strange phenomenon, and then continuing.I thought - oh damn - their cat has come into the bedroom (at that point in time most of my (single female) friends had cats who colonised their spare bedrooms, and made a point of recolonising them at some point during the night. However, this couple had no pets, I realised in the morning. And no rats either (and the feeling was of a dog's paws, not a rat's claws.)I know this one could classify as a going-to-sleep hypnogogic experience - but it just didn't match my other experiences of that phenomenon - which were real but in a non-tactile way...

I tend to go for the timeslip explanation. I think the dog's timeframe and mine coincided for a moment.

Hello,

I would like to take this moment to be 'Corny' and say THANK YOU ALL for giving me a reason to come to work in the morning!!!
lol

WW

Not sure if these count as “ghost” stories but being new here I feel obligated to share a couple of tales. I am one of those folks that has strange experiences, but until recently they were of the solitary type. Then I met another “strange” magnet and to our surprise we have indeed shared a few experiences. Be forewarned that these are not especially scary or bloodcurdling.

The first story I will relate happened a few months ago. We had just settled under the covers and barely closed our eyes when a disembodied voice just above our heads said “MOOHAHA”! I kid you not! We looked at each other and I said “did you hear that?” and he said “ah, yes”, and I said “moohaha”? He said “moohaha”. I think I then said something about how weird and strange that was….Next day we talked about it but came to no conclusions. Before (and even since) we have teased each other with that phrase or exclamation. Not sure why our friend/spirit/visitor felt compelled to mimic us.

The next strangeness occurred maybe a year ago. I came in to a message on the answering machine. I turned it on to retrieve the message which was something totally normal. Then, at the end of the message there was a click like the person hung up and another voice said “Thank you <insert name only my family calls me>”. Weird. When Mr. got home I asked him to listen to the tape because I thought there was something wrong with it (I did not mention what I thought I heard) He came downstairs and confirmed what I had heard and agreed that it was rather strange. Alas, there are all sorts of explanations when it comes to electronic device strangeness.

MOOHAHA!
:eek!!!!:

Definitely freaky. :) I realize these incidents occurred some time apart, but did you notice any similarity between the voices? Who was the "normal" message from?

No Leaferne, I don't think the voices sounded the same, but then one was on an answering machine and they do distort sometimes. Neither voice was one I recognized...The normal message was my sister, who I think would have followed up if it had been some sort of prank.

Maybe it was the end of an old message which had been erased?

True. As I said electronic stuff can do many weird and totally explainable things...it was freaky but perhaps only an anomaly.

Haunted Tableware???

Just got back from my mothers and her ghost is playing up again. Havent heard from him for about a year and the last couple of weeks hes been up to his old tricks. When me and my sister were younger and living at home and she was being bullied and having all the normal teenage hormonal problems then there was tons of activity then it died down a bit - with the odd week here and there.

Then earlier today my mum had been telling me of the weird things starting up again when she commented that she was getting a new pot to microwave her veg in as the one she uses is glass (she's used it nearly everday for about 3 years) and one day she's scared she'll drop it. As she said it, the glass pot in question shot out of the cupboard (it was open) and smashed on teh stone floor. We were completely gobsmacked. We were both sitting the kitchen table and no where near the cupboard. The glass pot had always been kept were it was on the shelf and had never fallen out before. Mind you it didnt really fall out so much as shoot out!

Most of the activity before was in the kitchen with the cupboards rattling and doors banging. Two years ago she had a new kitchen and it stopped but has recently started up again with her new cupboards rattling and banging and then stopping as you walk in the room. Weird but not scary. Just fascinating really.

I think "the them" are having a laugh at my expense again (I think I mentioned "them" before. They move personal items from places where we *definatelty* know we've put them and have followed us round for years. Not nasty, but very annoying!). This time "they" moved a bottle of Nicky Clark heat protection spray.

A couple of weeks ago I was going away for the night and wanted the spray so I could use my curling tongs without frazzling my hair (as you do!). I went to where I was sure I'd last put it and it wasn't there. I looked in all the drawers and bags in the spare room, all over the bathroom, bedroom and living room. I even checked the kitchen cupboards, where I was sure it wasn't! I couldn't find it anywhere, so I gave up and went out on my dinner break to buy some more.

Last weekend I was just having a general look round the kitchen whilst doing the laundry. In there was a bag of stuff my team at work had given me for my birthday last month and I just happened to look in it.

In it was the heat protection spray.

I know that I didn't put it there! I'm going to put it in a locked drawer this time so it can't run off!

Weird or what?

"the them" I like that! May I use it? We have also had things go missing. Sometimes they show up again and sometimes they NEVER come back.

Something else that happened. This was shortly after we moved in to our current home. (things have happened where ever I have lived but I don't want to write a novel here.:p ) We were both sleeping. I woke sometime during the night and I heard a grinding noise. I didn't think anything of it, rolled over and went back to sleep (heavy sleeper). At some point later in the night Mr. woke me as he got out of bed, saying something about "that noise". When he got back upstairs he told me "the garbage disposal was on and the cutting board was propped in front of the switch". WHAT???? I know neither of us turned on the garbage disposel, left it on, propped a cutting board in front of the switch, then went to bed. That is the only time "the them" has ever done anything potentially dangerous, and I was bit worried.

Here in Hungary, things are going missing which we know are tucked safely away in suitcases and cupboards.

Little Magyar pixie, please send back my skating gloves...............;)

Nah, they are protective jobbies as worn by skateboarders. I brought 2 pairs and have somehow lost one lot.

Other stuff has gone too. 3 of us live here and we can't have lost the things and I'm fairly certain nobody is pulling legs.

Back