• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Anyone Seen A Ghost?

The following events happened to me and family. My brother thinks the events happened because me and my step-sister were young teens and continued because my sister soon joined us in teen-hood. My sister thinks they took place because of the enormous amount of sexual energy in the house, so many teenagers and a pair of newlyweds. Here is what took place:

Just before my mother's wedding to her second husband, we all moved into a relatively new tri-level home in a relatively new sub-division. I was 13 years old when they married, my new step-sister was 12. The day of the wedding my whole extended family was at our home. Myself, my s-sister and my 12 year old female cousin were charged with watching all our little cousins and siblings while the adults went out to drink and dance. The phone rang, I said I would get it, and ran up the short flight of steps to the main level. While I was talking, I saw a girl my age coming towards me in what I thought was a yellow nightgown with a pink ribbon. The words "I said I would get it." came out of my mouth as I saw this girl run by me as though in slow motion toward the back door, her hair bouncing behind her. She appeared to turn into misty water droplets as she disappeared into the door. It was an odd but unfrightening moment. When I went back downstairs, I smilingly said to my step-sister that I'd just seen a ghost and she looked at me strangely. We didn't talk about it that night, but later after the guests were gone, she confided to me that she had been watching because she saw a white misty form going up the steps toward me. This was the beginning.

After that something strange would happen about every three months, something that we couldn't ignore. A strange, rotting smell would come and go on the upstairs landing. A solid blue handprint appeared on my bedroom wall that I couldn't scrub off. I was very upset and thought my little sister and her friend had inked up their hand and created it even though they denied it. The handprint disappeared later that day on it's own. My step-sister and sister said that they could faintly see that there was a blue layer of paint below the white, whatever that could mean. One day during dinner, I went to the basement to get a carton of icecream for my step-father. The basement was finished and well kept. The floor, walls, and steps going down were all solid cement (this will make sense if you understand the layout of a tri-level). As I stepped off the last step away from the wall into full view of the basement, the shelving far to my right startled rattling like mad. I stepped back on the last step out of view of the cupboards but still within hearing and they stoppped. I stepped down and they started, I stepped up and they stopped. I repeated this 5 or 6 times just to make sure it was really happening. Since it was broad daylight, and my s-dad was calling for his treat, I finally braved the strange noise and got the ice-cream. One day, also during broad daylight, my friend and I saw what looked like a stream of cigarrette smoke high on the wall, but floating sideways. It looked compact and long, just as the initial stream looks as it comes out of a resting cig. One night, my sisters friend woke to find what she thought was my step-sister watching them sleep. In the morning she found out my step-sister hadn't been home. One evening I went running to my mother's room because it sounded like someone was hitting her mattress with an enormous stick (thwak, thwak, thwak) in quick succession (hush, you Freudians ;)) but no one was there.

There were other things, like the feeling of being crowded even when you were the only one in the house, my sister hearing voices one day when no one was there, and general spooky feelings. To this day, when I have moved I walk through the empty house and really enjoy the "empty" feeling to it. It's nice to live in an unhaunted house.

tastyintestines you said that you have heard about people who research in the occult and magic etc getting visited by hooded figures.
well many years ago i played around with a ouija board and i experienced many visits from 3 hooded figures for many years after using the board.

hello sanguinarian

What makes you think that they were ghosts? Did they ever talk to you, or do anything but observe you. what did ya contact when you were on the board, and did they contact any of the people that were with you during the ouija sessions. Its hard to narrow down what the hell they where without actually communicating with them or hard evidence.

thanks

Ouja boards indeed! Hehehe!
They are nonesense. Proven by many, including myself, to be nothing more than the fancyful creation of illusionary propaganda by a few partakers of the game.
Call it subconcious impulses or purposeful perpetuaters, try blindfolding *thoroughly* the users and see what sense it makes!!
Sorry to offend, that's not my intention.
My tongue is in my cheek.
Si thi ;)

Spill'.

Tulip Tree said:
The following events happened to me and family.....

Tulip that is a really interesting story! I just read it today. Thank you for sharing all that. I love hearing first hand experiences from people.

spillage said:
They are nonesense. Proven by many, including myself, to be nothing more than the fancyful creation of illusionary propaganda by a few partakers of the game.
How so?

You wouldn't think it was nonsense if you had had some of the experiences many people have.... I myself would NEVER touch one again. Never.

LOL....Sorry to dampen anyone's *spirits* as it were but,......"How so?"
Well.....Over the past few years, (about nine or so), I sat in and attended some OuiJa board sessions and one or two things struck me...... Firstly, what would happen if everyone with finger placed on glass/ashtray/pointer, was blindfolded (Securely)? I put this to the test on at least severel occasions. (There was the frequent, "I don't have to go along with your sceptisism to prove anything.... *leave*) and other excuses from the hardened spiritualists etc.) But, when willing, the "messages" were very scrambled and nonsensical. (!)
Another thing that bothered me, was the supposition that the "spirits" who were controlling, (lol) the pointer, were either, deceased humanoids, evil spirits or beings from other dimensions/worlds! If so, why the hell would they bother with the tedious farce of conforming to some ancient mumbo jumbo in order to "get in touch"?? Think about it.
I really can't be bothered right now to go into lengthy detail on how thorough I've been with this issue, (It is, after all, Early Xmas day!!!! Merry Christimus everyone!!) And, I've learned by now that there's no converting those contaminated with "mind viruses". (Apologies for the arrogant soundings there!)
There... Hope I haven't insulted anyone or asked to be called "naive", "Narrow minded" or "Science fascist"!

Take care, SI THI :);)
Spillages.x

Haven't insulted me. I still don't see how that "proves" that ouija boards don't ever work. Still, you've obviously done a lot more research than I have. I've never even used one so I don't really have an opinion myself on how they work or their level of accuraccy. Check out A Ouija Warning if you enjoy anecdotes.

All the ouija bords I've done have been compleate bolocks...
that said though, if i can get phylisophical for a minite how do I know that all Ouija boards are bollocks, I haven't been to everyone so personly I couldn't say they are all bolocks.

even if they are they make good fodder for urban legends at the very least :)

None of it stands up to the least ammount of scrutiny... So I tend to agree with it being bollocks!
Merry Christmas and a happy New Year to thi all!!!!

OO-er....... Santa......Hmmmmmmm!
;)
Si thi merts!
Spill'

About this time last year my son's toys which beeped kept going off for no reason. We all joked and said it was my Dad telling us he was still around, esp. as it was Christmas.

Yesterday at my bro's house "Always Look on the Bright Side of Life" was on the telly (it was my Dad's exit music at his funeral) and the lights in my brother's front room went out. It was as though someone had switched them off. No flickering or anything.

Only the main ones, not any others. The tree lights and kitchen lights remained on. Why so spooky? Well, the wiring in my brother's house is so naff that if the main lights go off they trip the fuse and the whole of the ground floor is plunged into darkness.

And when did the lights happen to flick back on? Yep, just as the song finished...

Merry Christmas Dad!

Ghost dog!

The BF saw the ghost dog footprints again today!!:eek:

He saw a line of dog-type footprints leading from a door to a lift on a second floor.

No dogs allowed in the building, no police or guide dogs around, the prints lead 'from' and 'to' nowhere, and they emerge from a door to which only Security have access.

I saw a ghost once & then missed a ghost once...

I used to work in an art shop in Berkhamsted high street back in 1988. Myself & the manageress would take turns opening the shop & on this particular morning it was my turn to open up. I couldn't drive at the time so my Mum gave me a lift into town. In front of the shop is a set of traffic lights so handly we could usually stop at these lights & I could jump out. As we parked up we could see the front lights in the shop window were all lit up. I mentioned to my mum that the manageress had obviously got in before me & opened up.

I got out of the car & crossed the road, approaching the door directly in front of me. I could see into the shop & standing inside was a man dressed in black with his head down reading a book. I got to the door & pushed it expecting it to open. At this time I was still looking ahead & the man looked up from his book as I moved the door handle. Surprisingly to me the door didn't move so I looked down at the handle & moved it again. The door didn't budge & was clearly locked. I looked back up & the shop was now in complete darkness. A bit freaked out I unlocked the door & walked in. Once inside I had to disable the alarm which was bleeping, getting ready to go off if I didn't do this. After doing this I spent the next 20 minutes looking around, convinced that someone was in the shop but nobody appeared. This shop also had the scariest basement imaginable, about six rooms leading off from a main corridoor...needless to say, didn't look down there! Was very strange especially as the shop lights were on initially & unless light bulbs have an afterlife not sure what was going on.

The occasion where I missed a ghost I was being driven down the A5 into Milton Keynes in the early 90's. I was in the back seat, looking out of the side window, when the driver & passenger suddenly shouted out & the driver braked hard. When I asked what was going on they said that there was somebody standing in the road & they thought they were going to run them over. We stopped & had a look but couldn't see anyone. Sounds like a typical road side ghost but I haven't heard of one on the A5. If anyone has, this was just going down the hill to the roundabout with Kelly's Kitchen on it.

Whooooooooooooooooooooo!
Brill stories!:eek:

VERY suitable for late night reading!:rolleyes:
;)

I do believe I have seen my Grandad, standing in the dark in our bathroom just three weeks after his death. He was in his favourite clothes if I remember, but with a kind of wry smile on his face, like he knew he would make me jump. I cant for sure verify this wasnt my imagination, but I like to think he did show his face :)
Not quite on the subject of an actual apparition, but the most frightening encounter I have ever had was one night, working away at my computer in the bedroom. I had just finished and was winding down. My bedroom door was closed (this is important as I would hear anyone come in my room if they did). Only one person was in the house with me, and he (brother) was in his room on the other side of the house.
I stood up out of my chair, and as I was in the halfway up position (kind of half bent down I guess) a voice of what I could cleary identify as an old man with a very rough voice, spoke clearly into my ear "Where you going?"
I froze with all the hairs standing to attention. Needless to say, I didnt answer his question and made for the door, only to find that when I left the room my brother was soundly tucked away in his room on his games console, door firmly closed.

Freaky stuff. May be an idea to start a thread to cunjer up other peoples experiences of clearly spoken, non EVP paranormal 'voices'.

EVP's scare the bejeeeeesus out of me! After eading William Peter Blatty's sequel to the Exorcist, Legion, which features EVP's quite heavily me & a friend decided to try it out. We asked a question, let the tape record for about 3 minutes then played it back at top volume. If you've ever done this the rumble of static is enough to put the willies up you but if we'd have got an answer think I'd have been much closer to the other side than I wanted to be!!

My son claimed he and his cousin were being very noisy at my Mother's one day when a man told them to "stop making so much noise". My Mum is a widow, my Dad being dead for 4 yrs.

My Mother was upstairs at the time and lives in a very solid, well built house, which generally keeps out the noise of the street and neighbours.

When questioned further my son claimed the noise seemed to come "out of the air" but was definately in the room. Being 5 and 3 at the time neither took much notice but it made me poop my pants.

If you want SPOOKY EVP, you should try listening to 'The Ghost Orchid' CD!!!

I originally got a copy of this from an advert in FT about three or so years ago and I think it made every hair on my body stand on end! It's very interesting though as each piece of recording is replayed about three times and an explanation given of what you should hear. Info is available here:

http://www.anomalist.com/features/evp.html

(there's also a potted history of EVP given)

I don't know if the CD is still available anywhere, I've never seen it advertised since I got it, but for those with an interest I'd look into getting a copy. Be prepared for that 'someone's dancing a jig on my grave' feeling though.

Don't say you've not been warned... :eek!!!!:

Originally posted by Gotham9k
I saw a ghost once & then missed a ghost once...

I used to work in an art shop in Berkhamsted high street back in 1988.

I learnt to drive there back in 1968, advice given at the time:-

1) Don't drive into the canal.

2) Don't bother about the castle, it's already a ruin.

3) Don't worry if someone steps out in front of the car, chances are that they are a ghost!!!!!

Weird thing happened to me today.

I'm in a play and was rehearsing at the theatre which dates back from the beginning of the last century.

I nipped out into the entrance hall to make a phone call and whilst I was on the phone the lights kept switching on and off. I could hear the light switch clicking but there was no one else about as all the cast were in the auditorium. I thought someone was upstairs on the first floor but nope, all members were accounted for and the main doors are locked to stop the public from coming in to prevent vandalism and theft. So who was the phantom light switcher on-er?

The play I'm BTW is...Macbeth!

Don't worry about it!
When I fisrst moved in to my house (9 years ago), I was decorating, getting it ready to be lived in etc. When, one evening, I was sanding the kitchen door down on the outside, the heater, above the door on the inside turned on. It turned off as I opened the door and I checked to see if the switch was on and it was faulty. Nope, t'was off. I looked at the consumer box (Miniature circuit breakers) and the switch for the heater was off!
"Hmmm..." I thought, "I'll report that tomorrow" .
I reported it and the thing was knacked but the plumber, (It was a water heater from the boiler (Solid fuel)) had no idea how it could have done so.
Later as I was decorating, I saw the shadow of a person leaning against the kitchen wall near the back door briefly. Try as I might, I couldn't recreate a shadow there from where I was even considering car headlights passing and casting my own, torchelight or "misc"!
But...I still insist there's a completely rational explanaition as I'm well convinced the only mysteries in the Universe are nature.
(And the mind! lol!)
As for clicks like switches turning on and off.......quite common in electrical faults/oddness. Especially twinned with lights actually going on and off. (Only if the lights were on in the first place!)
You've heared a lamp(bulb) pop? Similar sound, if there's a temporary fault in the circuit, then the light/s can turn off and back on with resounding clicks.

I'm very very very drunk! lol!
http://www.forteantimes.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=12068&perpage=30&pagenumber=5

Si thi! *hic*
Spillage, Yorkshire bloowerk!

Tyger Lily said:
Weird thing happened to me today.

I'm in a play and was rehearsing at the theatre which dates back from the beginning of the last century.

I nipped out into the entrance hall to make a phone call and whilst I was on the phone the lights kept switching on and off. I could hear the light switch clicking but there was no one else about as all the cast were in the auditorium. I thought someone was upstairs on the first floor but nope, all members were accounted for and the main doors are locked to stop the public from coming in to prevent vandalism and theft. So who was the phantom light switcher on-er?

The play I'm BTW is...Macbeth!

A few years ago my dad owned a home what they called a converted "barn" in the north bay. It was a HUGE structure made of brick, and was considered to be an historical building. His step-daughter owned one of the huge townhomes built into it. It was divided into four homes, the other two being on the opposite side of the building. One day I was at his (well, my step sister's) house, sitting in her son's room while he played video games and my daughter played. Suddenly, the adjacent bathroom lights went on, and then off, and continued to do so throughout the time we were there! The son said "Oh don't worry, that's just the ghost." I really wondered about this, as all the electrical was practically brand new. I also wondered because I did not feel a thing. I wasn't creeped out, and no temp changes happened. The lights still went on and off at an inconsistent pace. I had never seen this happen before or since. Odd.

Thats the thing Ink, I wasn't spooked at all either. It was a bit weird when I realised what was actually happening and I thought I'd poop my pants if anything like that ever happened but I just thought it was a bit odd.

Next rehearsal I will ask anyone if there are any spooky stories connected to the place, as it's the first time I have performed there and don't know, for the majority of the the cast it's their local theatre.

Talk to a spark mate. It's not uncommon, expecially with new "electrics".
Like floorboards, cables, circuits, appliences and parts can temporarily do their nut. Now...if you were to see the actual switches move on and off (Up down) then something wierd would be afoot!

I'm still drunk (And know about wires and that!)

What's funny about it also is that I don't remember what the switches looked like. I seem to remember going into the bathroom to look, and it may have had some newfangled type of switch, and not a regular "toggle." I do know that if I had seen a switch move up and down by itself I would have freaked!

[edit] Lily, let us know what you find out! Also congrats on the play! Let us know how that goes also.

LOL! Exactly!
Rather like "Oooer! I saw something run past in the corner of my eye! A sort of faint shadow!!"
"So did I at the same time!!!"
Me too"
"But we're in a completely sealed off box with illumination in it so it can't have been anyone/thing!"
As opposed to the normal scenario of only one and being subject to ambiguous reasons.
Sorry! I'm well out of it! lol! VOdka ka ka ka ka kaaaaaaaaah anyone? :D
Si thi! A luv yer all!!!
Spills!

Back