• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Anyone Seen A Ghost?

What is an "A level" or an "O level" anyway? Since letters are used to designate the level, does that mean there are 26 levels?
And what all does this have to do with ghosts? :Givingup:

What is an "A level" or an "O level" anyway? Since letters are used to designate the level, does that mean there are 26 levels?
And what all does this have to do with ghosts? :Givingup:
O level is ordinary level and A level is advanced level. Originally it was intended the more able would skip the O and go straight to the A. Fairly quickly it became the norm to do the O as a preparatory step to the A. The A level still remains in the English system but the O level has now been replaced with the GCSE. And at the time of O levels there was also a CSE level which was a lower standard then the O level. As none of these qualification levels have ever been offered in parapsychology or ghost hunting my answer to your final question is don’t know! Actually it was a temporary diversion into the ability to speak Latin that brought all this on.

Morning everyone my work mate and I saw a ghost back in the mid 90is .We were driving up towards starbeck from knaresborough the weather was terrible absolutely pouring down with rain.We had come to a halt next to the entrance to the golf club.I looked over to my right and on the other side of the road a young girl was walking down the path/verge.She had long dark hair and was dressed in what I would say was 1970is clothes IE dark flared trousers a striped tank top what looked like a short blue corduroy jacket.Her hair was covering the left side of her face and the side that we could see was distorted some how.Her right eye looked huge she walked a few more feet then she was gone.We were totally amazed and for some reason very very saddened and upset and we were very quiet and upset for the rest of the day

That's the sort of ghost story I like, Who me. Just out of interest - Was it early in the morning? as you say you were upset by it for the rest of the day. And she was literally on the other side of the road to you, like 10, 15 feet away?

Hi eponastill yeah quite early 7-45 or thereabouts and I would estimate about 15 feet from us.I remember remarking to my work mate there you go you have just seen your first ghost.And him just sitting there looking very pale as i think i was.We were certainly not the type of people to be quiet at work exactly the opposite in fact.But it had that effect on us both.we only talked about it that day and he avoided discussing it after that

Hi vardoger yes quite possibly there have been a few accidents on that stretch of road.the other thing I remember was the strange shoes.??yellowish gold and red .When we talked about it later I said i wonder why we are so sad about it and my mate replied because the poor wee thing is still there.As a dad myself I really got that.

When I was 16 in the mid-80s my parents moved into their dream home in a small, quite isolated North Devon village (South-west England). The detached house was over a hundred and fifty years old and built on on a rocky outcrop at the junction of two country lanes as they entered the village. An old, rusted well pump from Victorian days was set into one of the garden boundary walls.

It was a warm, relaxed and happy house where grandchildren would play in the old sheds and the large garden ( I was the youngest of seven). The village was quiet and so very dark and silent at night. However, from the outset, there were occasionally some strange noises from upstairs when no-one was up there (two-storey building with four bedrooms and the bathroom on the second floor). This would take the sound of heavy 'thuds' on the ceiling as if someone quite large was getting out of bed quite heavily and walking across the floor. Now, we had two cats and two dogs, but they loved to join us in the downstairs front room, especially when the fire was lit in the winter, and so could be discounted. it might have been the central heating, but we heard it in the summer months, too. It might have been rats, except there was absolutely no sign of entry, no rat mess and no food up there. Furthermore, our two cats were born on a farm and were expert mousers who would have quickly sniffed out any rodent (we never mice in the house, unless they were brought in dead as 'presents').

It remained mystery and my parents grew accustomed to it. In later years I did some house-sitting and heard it when on my own, and it was very real and heavy on the floor above. On one occasion I was having a lie-down upstairs during the afternoon after a long journey and could clearly hear a man snoring in my room, despite being the only person in the house. On another occasion, a large piece of orange peel on a small plate by my bed jumped off the plate onto the floor whilst in my vision. That did freak me out. The house is sold now, but I often think back to what we used to hear and still have no answer.

Last edited:
Ohh wow weird exeter I would have been terrified up off the bed and out of the door screaming and quaking like a good un.Snoring first time I’ve ever heard of that.

Morning everyone my work mate and I saw a ghost back in the mid 90is .We were driving up towards starbeck from knaresborough the weather was terrible absolutely pouring down with rain.We had come to a halt next to the entrance to the golf club.I looked over to my right and on the other side of the road a young girl was walking down the path/verge.She had long dark hair and was dressed in what I would say was 1970is clothes IE dark flared trousers a striped tank top what looked like a short blue corduroy jacket.Her hair was covering the left side of her face and the side that we could see was distorted some how.Her right eye looked huge she walked a few more feet then she was gone.We were totally amazed and for some reason very very saddened and upset and we were very quiet and upset for the rest of the day
The distortion of the face is really interesting and compelling. Thanks for this account of what you saw.

When I was 16 in the mid-80s my parents moved into their dream home in a small, quite isolated North Devon village (South-west England). The detached house was over a hundred and fifty years old and built on on a rocky outcrop at the junction of two country lanes as they entered the village. An old, rusted well pump from Victorian days was set into one of the garden boundary walls.

It was a warm, relaxed and happy house where grandchildren would play in the old sheds and the large garden ( I was the youngest of seven). The village was quiet and so very dark and silent at night. However, from the outset, there were occasionally some strange noises from upstairs when no-one was up there (two-storey building with four bedrooms and the bathroom on the second floor). This would take the sound of heavy 'thuds' on the ceiling as if someone quite large was getting out of bed quite heavily and walking across the floor. Now, we had two cats and two dogs, but they loved to join us in the downstairs front room, especially when the fire was lit in the winter, and so could be discounted. it might have been the central heating, but we heard it in the summer months, too. It might have been rats, except there was absolutely no sign of entry, no rat mess and no food up there. Furthermore, our two cats were born on a farm and were expert mousers who would have quickly sniffed out any rodent (we never mice in the house, unless they were brought in dead as 'presents').

It remained mystery and my parents grew accustomed to it. In later years I did some house-sitting and heard it when on my own, and it was very real and heavy on the floor above. On one occasion I was having a lie-down upstairs during the afternoon after a long journey and could clearly hear a man snoring in my room, despite being the only person in the house. On another occasion, a large piece of orange peel on a small plate by my bed jumped off the plate onto the floor whilst in my vision. That did freak me out. The house is sold now, but I often think back to what we used to hear and still have no answer.
I've often thought those of us who grew up in 'haunted' houses sould re-visit and find out if the current owners have experienced anything... Quite how to go about this, though, I dunno. I'd be actually shocked if I found out the people who now live in the house where I grew up, had had no experiences whatsoever as it was so active.

I love the idea of York. But every time my better half and I visit, we have the most tremendous fallings-out :oops:
Funnily enough I had one of the biggest falling outs with an ex in York, a place I love dearly (not because I fell out with the ex there). I had completely forgotten about this until your post. I distinctly remember seeing her tears reflected in a large shop window :(. Probably her fault anyway......….

Good evening ghost in the machine glad to hear you live in gods own country.York is absolutely brilliant city visited it many times great pubs great people
The haunted pubs I know of are The Black Swan and The Golden Fleece. Worth a visit.

Wassat about then?
I genuinely don't know. Funnily enough, we had a habit of going to stay for a couple of days just before Christmas. First time, our baby daughter started exploding spectacularly from both ends. It was so, um, exuberant that for the first and - so far - only time in my life, I had to pay a hotel room cleaning bill. Mind you, both OH and I saw a funny side to that.

But the next couple of years, I don't know what happened. Both times, though, we ended up travelling home separately... I don't think it was just pre-Christmas tension (neither of us really enjoy this time of year). It could have been the lasting effects of a very traumatic birth, although Ms birthday is much earlier in the year. Whatever the potential underlying triggers, there seems to be something about York in particular that makes them much easier to pull.

We took the hint, and haven't visited the city together for well over a decade, and whilst we've obviously had periods since in which we haven't seen eye to eye, there's never been the same volcanic rowing. Meanwhile, I did spend a day there with my dad a couple of years ago, and we had a delightful time, so...
Probably some kind of Bermuda Triangle in the city centre...
Must be. Thinking about it, my brother used to run The Keystones pub in York. I went to visit him there once - at his invitation - when I was an impoverished student. It was a cold day - snow on the ground - and I'd ridden a motorbike up from Nottingham. He insisted that I had to pay for my dinner in the pub he ran...

Last edited:
I live just outside York. Two of my kids live in the city.

Mind you, I'm originally from Exeter. So seeing both Who Me and Weird Exeter on the same page is very fitting (and possibly a tiny tiny teeny bit Minor Strangeness).

I genuinely don't know. Funnily enough, we had a habit of going to stay for a couple of days just before Christmas. First time, our baby daughter started exploding spectacularly from both ends. It was so, um, exuberant that for the first and - so far - only time in my life, I had to pay a hotel room cleaning bill. Mind you, both OH and I saw a funny side to that.

But the next couple of years, I don't know what happened. Both times, though, we ended up travelling home separately... I don't think it was just pre-Christmas tension (neither of us really enjoy this time of year). It could have been the lasting effects of a very traumatic birth, although Ms birthday is much earlier in the year. Whatever the potential underlying triggers, there seems to be something about York in particular that makes them much easier to pull.

We took the hint, and haven't visited the city together for well over a decade, and whilst we've obviously had periods since in which we haven't seen eye to eye, there's never been the same volcanic rowing. Meanwhile, I did spend a day there with my dad a couple of years ago, and we had a delightful time, so...

Must be. Thinking about it, my brother used to run The Keystones pub in York. I went to visit him there once - at his invitation - when I was an impoverished student. It was a cold day - snow on the ground - and I'd ridden a motorbike up from Nottingham. He insisted that I had to pay for my dinner in the pub he ran...

You know my brother, so you'll know he'd have done the same... :)

Hi vardoger yes quite possibly there have been a few accidents on that stretch of road.the other thing I remember was the strange shoes.??yellowish gold and red .When we talked about it later I said i wonder why we are so sad about it and my mate replied because the poor wee thing is still there.As a dad myself I really got that.
I was a teenager in the 70s and I had a pair of platform shoes just the colours you describe. It wasn't me, though, honest! I was about 20 miles away from there in 1976... But yes, such two/three toned shoes existed and could be got in various groovy boutiques and shoe shops...

ETA: I meant to say thanks for the nostalgia trip - I'd totally forgotten those shoes til I read your post. They made my toenail fall off but I didn't tell my dad or he wouldn't have let me wear them again.

Back