• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Anyone Seen A Ghost?

Did you have this strong feeling you had to pick her up @escargot?
Yup. I've mentioned it before. :)

An aunt of mine was known for spookiness. One of her tricks was supposed to be putting ideas into people's heads.

I was sceptical until one morning, driving home after a night shift, I had the urge to take an unusual route.

There at the bus stop was Auntie Val, on her way to the other end of town. I gladly took her all the way, much further than the bus would have.

I said 'How lucky I was passing!' and she said 'Luck had nothing to do with it! I just needed a lift and I knew someone would come!'

Val didn't know anything about my job. She was just spooky.

I'm sure you know what I mean! So many ghost stories are full of Drama! Eye Contact! Mysterious Discoveries! And then later reading discovers that a person of exactly that description died on exactly that spot!

The very mundanity of the sighting is what makes it believable and interesting.
Met my neighbour in the park earlier, near to where MrsF had her sighting yesterday.
He's an ex Sergeant Major so I thought he'd be interested, but to save wasting my time, I first asked him if he believes in ghosts.

After living in a haunted house in Hampshire for three years, I bloody do now he said and went on to tell me about the things that happened there concerning the upstairs room.

Then he mentioned the house he lives in now - opposite my house - and how a few years ago the gas guy came to read the meter (which is in the cellar) and when he came up he said to my neighbours wife Your husband is a miserable old sod isn't he? I said hello to him three times and he just ignored me.

His wife pointed out that her husband was at work twenty miles away.

My point is that this is only one neighbour I've mentioned ghosts to and there's two cases straight off.
It makes you wonder how many other people just in this street alone have had similar experiences.

Met my neighbour in the park earlier, near to where MrsF had her sighting yesterday.
He's an ex Sergeant Major so I thought he'd be interested, but to save wasting my time, I first asked him if he believes in ghosts.

After living in a haunted house in Hampshire for three years, I bloody do now he said and went on to tell me about the things that happened there concerning the upstairs room.

Then he mentioned the house he lives in now - opposite my house - and how a few years ago the gas guy came to read the meter (which is in the cellar) and when he came up he said to my neighbours wife Your husband is a miserable old sod isn't he? I said hello to him three times and he just ignored me.

My point is that this is only one neighbour I've mentioned ghosts to and there's two cases straight off.
It makes you wonder how many other people just in this street alone have had similar experiences.
Fabulous. :cool:
I'm sending that to my son-in-law who is a gas fitter.
Hoping to freak him out a little. :chuckle:

Reminds me slightly of a shop I read about in a book about Brighton ghosts. The cellar has a ghost, apparently of a woman who washes herself at a sink in the corner.

Here's Diamond being interviewed on the subject.
Anne Diamond tells Tony Livesey the story of her house-hunting adventure and encounter of the ghostly kind.

BBC Sounds -
(Dunno why the link comes up like this.)
It's the one where the house is empty except for a coffin. A COFFIN. :omg:

On which Diamond's mother sat. :chuckle:

p00hghw7

You must be in the dead centre of town.

It's a very good ghost story but I find it a bit too... neat, all the hallmarks of a literary invention, perhaps based on some real event, but... sitting on a ghost coffin where the old lady was found dead, a convenient local to explain the events... far too polished for me.
She has no need to make things up though. Just the opposite, in fact; one wouldn't expect someone so avowedly sceptical to make up such a story. Especially in her line of work.
Well, in her previous jobs.

Guys -
@SimonBurchell (Your neck of the woods I think).

Bumped into my neighbour again just outside the park gates earlier (he asked if I was ghost-hunting for the WW1 soldier).

Anyway, he told me a few more things about the aforementioned house he lived in in Tidworth (Wiltshire/Hampshire border) from 1998-2001/2.

He once got a glimpse of a figure who looked like a 1920s RAF man walking up the stairs (his wife saw him more often).

One night the whole family had gone out to a British Legion event and on returning, the kitchen cabinet doors were open and everything had been taken out and balanced on the worktop.

At this point, if I didn't know him as well as I do now, I would have been sceptical and I even said how that is like something out of a film (to which he agreed) but he said that's what happened.

He said that sometimes when he left for work he would walk instead of drive and if he turned around to look back at the building he often saw a figure in the upstairs window.

When he was moving into the property, a lot of people told him that he wouldn't last very long there.

Most of my interactions with people (in the real world at least) seem to be on busy pavements or next to busy roads (or both), so it's difficult to carry on a decent conversation in those circumstances (made even worse today by a very prickly bush that kept attacking me for some reason) but I shall endeavour to ask him more when we can speak without noise, interruptions and needles sticking in me.

NB I mistakenly said he was a Sergeant Major in an earlier post - he was actually a Major.

Guys -

Bumped into my neighbour again just outside the park gates earlier (he asked if I was ghost-hunting for the WW1 soldier).

Anyway, he told me a few more things about the aforementioned house he lived in in Tidworth (Wiltshire/Hampshire border) from 1998-2001/2.

He once got a glimpse of a figure who looked like a 1920s RAF man walking up the stairs (his wife saw him more often).

One night the whole family had gone out to a British Legion event and on returning, the kitchen cabinet doors were open and everything had been taken out and balanced on the worktop.

At this point, if I didn't know him as well as I do now, I would have been sceptical and I even said how that is like something out of a film (to which he agreed) but he said that's what happened.

He said that sometimes when he left for work he would walk instead of drive and if he turned around to look back at the building he often saw a figure in the upstairs window.

When he was moving into the property, a lot of people told him that he wouldn't last very long there.

Most of my interactions with people (in the real world at least) seem to be on busy pavements or next to busy roads (or both), so it's difficult to carry on a decent conversation in those circumstances (made even worse today by a very prickly bush that kept attacking me for some reason) but I shall endeavour to ask him more when we can speak without noise, interruptions and needles sticking in me.

NB I mistakenly said he was a Sergeant Major in an earlier post - he was actually a Major.
Fascinating stuff. Have to say there are a good number of poltergeist cases that involve food and equipment being moved and/or rearranged/stacked in kitchens.

Fascinating stuff. Have to say there are a good number of poltergeist cases that involve food and equipment being moved and/or rearranged/stacked in kitchens.
A friend of mine used to work in a home for troubled teenage girls. She said they often came down to find that stuff in the kitchen had been rearranged and she was sure it wasn't the girls themselves doing it as they were under close supervision. However she did feel it was the girls in a way because of their personalities attracting poltergeist activity. The reporting friend was a practicle soul, open minded but a bit exasperated with one of her friends husbands who was into lay lines new age woo and what not. I was inclined to believe what she said.

I've also heard stories of kitchens being rearranged, or people coming in to find random things balanced in peculiar ways. I wonder why it's kitchens though? I've heard of furniture being moved in living rooms, but not the piling up or balancing of things... so, why is it kitchens? The sceptic in me would say that it's because it's usually a room that can be closed off from the rest of the house - has the 'rearranging of crockery' ever happened in an open plan house?

When I was a kid there were tales of a polt in a house round the corner from ours. I wasn't that old so adult discussions about it were not held near us kids so I'm going by overheard snippets discussed later by us in hushed tones. I do remember however, because it freaked us out a bit, mention of all the cushions in the living room being piled up on the floor.

Guys -

Fantastic story! That's way across the other side of Hampshire from me, but I have hiked around Andover, Salisbury and Hungerford, so I've been in the general area.

This sounds like a haunting with poltergeist phenomena... I love these cases, because they throw a lot of doubt on the RSPK theory of poltergeists!

Last edited:
Fantastic story! That's way across the other side of Hampshire from me, but I have hiked around Andover, Salisbury and Hungerford, so Ive been in the general area.

This sounds like a haunting with poltergeist phenomena... I love these cases, because they throw a lot of doubt on the RSPK theory of poltergeists!
The room upstairs used to be the servants room and they often heard what sounded like chains being dragged across the floor.
Whenever they walked down the corridor to the bedroom door, as soon as they touched the handle the noises would stop.
It was always much colder in there as well.

They didn't use the room, only as a guest room and when some relatives came over, his 14 year old nephew was woken one night by the feeling of something pushing down on his chest.

I wonder what the dragging of chains noise stemmed from?

The room upstairs used to be the servants room and they often heard what sounded like chains being dragged across the floor.
Whenever they walked down the corridor to the bedroom door, as soon as they touched the handle the noises would stop.
It was always much colder in there as well.

They didn't use the room, only as a guest room and when some relatives came over, his 14 year old nephew was woken one night by the feeling of something pushing down on his chest.

I wonder what the dragging of chains noise stemmed from?
Servants into bondage? :dunno:

Although in Christmas Carol Marley's chains were the weight of all his sins when he was on Earth or summat.

Seems a trope. Years ago I knew someone whose parents owned a restaurant somewhere behind York Minster and they'd frequently unlock in the morning and find all the chairs had been rearranged (stuff like put on top the the tables when they didn't do that at night). It wasn't just one or two, from what I recall she told me, but an entire restaurant's chairs.

ETA: I remember asking her if anyone else had access or could have played a trick, like a staff member and she said only the family had the keys as they'd lock up at night and be the first in there in the morning. It's still a restaurant but someone else owns it now.

Last place I'd haunt would be a kitchen. Try to avoid being in them as much as possible.

Last place I'd haunt would be a kitchen. Try to avoid being in them as much as possible.
I agree, but some people are very attached to their kitchens, to the point of it being their territory - even if others are given free range there the sense of ownership pervades it - years ago when my in-laws' house was a busy household with extended family there, the kitchen was definitely my mother-in-law's pride and joy. My wife is very protective of my kitchen, and even if I am cooking she will be hovering there to see what I am up to. With such strong associations between people and their kitchens, down to joy at the different cutlery, devices etc. that make up their collection, it is no surprise that they are a commonly haunted location.

I've heard of the stacking. It's sometimes done not on work surfaces (as in the movie) but in the middle of floors.
Yes, quite common in poltergeist cases, sometimes the objects are stacked impossibly - bottles on top of each other in such a way that they shouldn't possibly remain balanced upright - they seem to be stacked in the place where they will get the most attention when found - in the middle of the floor as you say, not in some forgotten corner that won't be looked at for ages.

Last edited:
That's what my neighbour said- that the stuff was stacked so that you couldn't move an item without the lot coming down.
I wonder why though? What's the purpose?

It can't just be as a result of some type of energy or what ever randomly moving stuff (like for instance, static electricity and, say, a balloon).

Last edited:
I wonder why though? What the purpose?

It can't just be as a result of some type of energy or what ever randomly moving stuff (like for instance, static electricity and, say, a balloon).
To scare people, I suppose: "I'm here. You can't see me, but I can see you. Look what I can do."

To scare people, I suppose: "I'm here. You can't see me, but I can see you. Look what I can do."
Yup, you sometimes see it done in comedy fillums; the audience and perhaps a sensitive or medium will see a ghost waving objects in the air or throwing them, while a hapless witness watches the items appearing to swoop around of their own accord.

We then usually get a scene showing the knickknacks or breakables flying aloft and sometimes smashing.

This was done to great effect in the recentish remake of Blithe Spirit. :)

I wonder why though? What's the purpose?

Perhaps (she mused, cautiously) it's a mistaken attempt to be helpful? I'm thinking about the old folklore about household spirits, hobs and the like, who would be useful around the house as long as they were paid in cream. Maybe the 'force', whatever it might be, has a very simplistic reasoning, almost like a three year old child - things that are 'tidy' are usually piled up, therefore piling up everything in a room makes it 'tidy'?

Back