• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Anyone Seen A Ghost?

No, it was white and tan. Literally looked like an animal running past. I was really shocked how solid it was. I often get anomalies- I had a bleed in my eye a couple of years ago- but this looked real, more or less solid and external. Looked for all the world like a dog does when chasing a ball or a toy, but head first into a wall without stopping.
I have seen solid black forms once or twice but generally put that down to my eyes being rubbish (I may be wrong but they are different to today’s… thing).
That's unusual. I'm looking forward to seeing the picture.

No, it was white and tan. Literally looked like an animal running past. I was really shocked how solid it was. I often get anomalies- I had a bleed in my eye a couple of years ago- but this looked real, more or less solid and external. Looked for all the world like a dog does when chasing a ball or a toy, but head first into a wall without stopping.
I have seen solid black forms once or twice but generally put that down to my eyes being rubbish (I may be wrong but they are different to today’s… thing).
A quick Google turned up many assertions of hauntings there. :nods:

A quick Google turned up many assertions of hauntings there. :nods:
What search terms did you use? I tried when I got back to the hotel but I couldn’t find anything …
Off to the Ashmolean today so we’ll probably pop in for a swift half at some point, and I’ll speak to the bar staff.
Not-so-mini Migs, my stepson who was with us, reckons he kept feeling someone tapping him on the shoulder while we were there. Unlike me, he has ghostly experiences ALL the time…

…SOMETHING moved across the doorway, into a solid wall. It seemed to me to be a dog, the size of a smallish border collie, mostly white but with some tan patches. No-one I was with saw it…

May l suggest, with zero disrespect intended, that you book an eye examination. You may be suffering from a harmless condition that affects a lot of older people, myself included: Posterior vitreous detachment.

When your vitreous pulls away from your retina, your retina reacts to this stimulation by sending a signal to your brain. Your brain processes this signal as a small, short flash of light. You’ll often see more in dark or dim lighting as they will show up more against a darker background.”

https://www.rnib.org.uk/your-eyes/e...eous-detachment/#what-are-the-symptoms-of-pvd

maximus otter

May l suggest, with zero disrespect intended, that you book an eye examination. You may be suffering from a harmless condition that affects a lot of older people, myself included: Posterior vitreous detachment.

When your vitreous pulls away from your retina, your retina reacts to this stimulation by sending a signal to your brain. Your brain processes this signal as a small, short flash of light. You’ll often see more in dark or dim lighting as they will show up more against a darker background.”

https://www.rnib.org.uk/your-eyes/e...eous-detachment/#what-are-the-symptoms-of-pvd

maximus otter
Cheers Max - I have an appointment booked at the end of the month, actually. I have PVD in both eyes and have had flashes from time to time (plus a nasty bleed that left me with a big spidery floater and lots of smaller ones that my brain has mostly learned to ignore). This didn’t look like the flashes I’ve had in the past but could have been. I’m still going to ask the staff though!

This'll set the context—and is it historically accurate? You be the judge of that! :litg:
https://www.adequatetravel.com/haun...story-history-information-paranomial-activity
The message he heard left him feeling unsettled and terrified at its implications. It said: “Beware the Lamb & Flag. Beware of the evil lurking within its walls.”

To this day, the Lamb & Flag remains closed, its secrets still unknown. People say that if one is brave enough to visit this place at night, they will still hear the old, sad melody of the piano, repeating the chilling warning to all who approach this place. It is one of the most haunted places in uk

This'll set the context—and is it historically accurate? You be the judge of that! :litg:
https://www.adequatetravel.com/haun...story-history-information-paranomial-activity
Was that written by AI? It has that feel, and is madly inaccurate (Robert Hardy played Morse? And used to drink in there with Lewis and Morse? )
We went back there last night but it was RAMMED and the bar staff were rushed off their feet, so I never got to ask. Plus there were a lot of people standing around the doorway I saw the whatever so I couldn’t get a photo… I’ll be back in the new year, so will hopefully check it out then. Sorry guys - I was a bit rubbish!

The quoted blog could very well be "authored" by AI.
I found the tale of the taxi driver amusing because it was absurdly wrong about the pub being closed.
I had to double check the story (supposedly) took place the same city.

The quoted blog could very well be "authored" by AI.
I found the tale of the taxi driver amusing because it was absurdly wrong about the pub being closed.
I had to double check the story (supposedly) took place the same city.
Is there any giveaway to tell if AI has had a hand in anything at all?

I hesitated about posting this, partly because it's rather mundane. I regularly have to walk through a place in order to get to the town centre, and this lane once had a reputation for being haunted (though that was long ago, apparently). Anyway, it was dark (though this was only about 6pm) and a car with headlights full-on approached slowly; in the glare, I saw two children haltingly cross the lane. Of course, I fully expected to see them once the car had gone past or they'd reached the other side; but, there was nothing, and nowhere for them to have gone.

What is interesting to me, generally, is that in my life I've seen ghosts of children only a few times, and these scenes always resemble rough sketches: in that they are colourless, a mix of grey and black & white. Another curious thing is that I react to these events in a matter-of-fact way when, ordinarily, I'd (probably needlessly) be scared; I just carried on walking.

EDIT: As far as I recall, the lane isn't rumoured to be haunted by children but by mine or quarry workers who apparently had to transport something heavy (stones? Coal?) to and fro.

EDIT2: Far more dramatic is this haunting, of a nearby chapel:

'Some buyers might expect maybe a human spirit to be wandering their property and land if they buy a historic chapel or church, but how many would expect a potential 'ghost' to be a dog?

According to local folklore, this dilapidated 17th century chapel going to auction is said to be haunted by a blood thirsty black hound.

No Scooby snack rewards for this naughty dog, that legend says has been scaring people for centuries.

According to legend, the former chapel and adjacent, fully occupied graveyard, is haunted by 'The Black Hound of The Underworld', which haunts the souls of men.

According to local folklore a former minister of the chapel, once surrounded by scrubby woodland and fields, late one night heard the blood curdling baying of a hound.

It was not long after that the man of the cloth was said to have witnessed what he described as a great black hound following his trail. The minister, realising that he was on the menu, struck the hound between the eyes with his Bible.

The mythical creature is said to have burst into flames and disappeared, leaving the minister's soul intact but his beard singed.'

Last edited:
I hesitated about posting this, partly because it's rather mundane. I regularly have to walk through a place in order to get to the town centre, and this lane once had a reputation for being haunted (though that was long ago, apparently). Anyway, it was dark (though this was only about 6pm) and a car with headlights full-on approached slowly; in the glare, I saw two children haltingly cross the lane. Of course, I fully expected to see them once the car had gone past or they'd reached the other side; but, there was nothing, and nowhere for them to have gone.

What is interesting to me, generally, is that in my life I've seen ghosts of children only a few times, and these scenes always resemble rough sketches: in that they are colourless, a mix of grey and black & white. Another curious thing is that I react to these events in a matter-of-fact way when, ordinarily, I'd (probably needlessly) be scared; I just carried on walking.
Never yet seen a ghost as such myself, but I knew someone who did watch a man (ghost-like apparition) cross in front of her car as she drove along the road she was on, and walk (disappear) right through a solid brick wall!
Turned out that it had at one time been a doorway that had been bricked up.

Last edited:
Well today I might have seen something today. We were visiting my grandparents grave and we were early and the only people about. Out of the corner of my eye I thought I saw a young guy with a navy coat coming in our direction. But when I looked properly there was no one there. It pretty close not at a distance. It could just have been my brain making things up. But it was pretty odd.

A few months ago, my daughter saw a figure of a man standing on the walkway of one of three bridges she passes over on her way to work. She was on the opposite side of the road and assumed the man would appear on the path at the other side of the bridge, just as she crossed on her side. The man did not emerge. She crossed the road and looked back over the bridge where the man had been standing, only to find it deserted. There was nowhere for him to have gone (other than into the water - my daughter did consider this for a moment). She had a clear view down the street in both directions - the man had disappeared!

When she told me this, I remembered my (now deceased) father in law telling me that street was haunted and he himself had seen the figure on more than one occasion.

My daughter described the figure as having been around five nine and dressed in a dark jacket and suit trousers. She told her friend that if she saw the figure again she would approach him, just to reassure herself she wasn't seeing things.

Fast forward to early on New year's Day this year. Around seven thirty am, returning from a night shift, she crossed the bridge and glanced back over the road. Standing in the same place was the figure! True to her promise she took out her 'Phone to get a picture and began approaching the 'man', two things became apparent.... Firstly, nothing was visible through the camera lense, though she could see the figure with her eyes. Secondly, the figure seemed to fade the closer she got. She took a couple of pictures anyway and one shows nothing, but two of them seem to show a mist (indistinct, but definitely there), moving across the path.

The figure of course disappeared. I've added the pictures, she sent me by WhatsApp. Two of them she zoomed in so the resolution isn't very good.

Attachments

• IMG-20240103-WA0002.jpg
    IMG-20240103-WA0002.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 70
  • IMG-20240103-WA0001.jpg
    IMG-20240103-WA0001.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 71
  • IMG-20240103-WA0000.jpg
    IMG-20240103-WA0000.jpg
    75.2 KB · Views: 69
I wonder if it’s the ghost of someone who threw themselves off the bridge.
I don't recall any deliberate suicides, but I can remember bodies being pulled from the water on a few occasions. Mostly people who've had some refreshments and decided to relieve themselves too close to the water. It's a dockland area and seamen as well as locals can fall victim. A little further along from this bridge there was a light railway which crossed the road, used for moving freight from the ships onto inland transport. I remember being told the ghost was of a worker killed on this railway.

A few months ago, my daughter saw a figure of a man standing on the walkway of one of three bridges she passes over on her way to work. She was on the opposite side of the road and assumed the man would appear on the path at the other side of the bridge, just as she crossed on her side. The man did not emerge. She crossed the road and looked back over the bridge where the man had been standing, only to find it deserted. There was nowhere for him to have gone (other than into the water - my daughter did consider this for a moment). She had a clear view down the street in both directions - the man had disappeared!

When she told me this, I remembered my (now deceased) father in law telling me that street was haunted and he himself had seen the figure on more than one occasion.

My daughter described the figure as having been around five nine and dressed in a dark jacket and suit trousers. She told her friend that if she saw the figure again she would approach him, just to reassure herself she wasn't seeing things.

Fast forward to early on New year's Day this year. Around seven thirty am, returning from a night shift, she crossed the bridge and glanced back over the road. Standing in the same place was the figure! True to her promise she took out her 'Phone to get a picture and began approaching the 'man', two things became apparent.... Firstly, nothing was visible through the camera lense, though she could see the figure with her eyes. Secondly, the figure seemed to fade the closer she got. She took a couple of pictures anyway and one shows nothing, but two of them seem to show a mist (indistinct, but definitely there), moving across the path.

The figure of course disappeared. I've added the pictures, she sent me by WhatsApp. Two of them she zoomed in so the resolution isn't very good.
Might be useful to know which bridge it is, and where?

I used to go ghost hunting in my early days, and whilst I've definitely heard things that can't be explained and always go in with my skeptic's hat on, there's only ever been one incident that I can't attribute to anything else.

It was about 15 years ago and around this time of year. I'd visited my then girlfriend and was on my way back home through the countryside and had plenty of long stretches of straight road so you could see what was coming and what was behind. It was pretty dark, would have been somewhere between 11 and midnight, and it was a route I used regularly at the time so knew the road. I was all alone on that stretch at this particular moment.

I was paying attention to what I was doing, as you would on a dark night where it isn't lit, when I came across a black figure in the road, right by the kerb on my side, I believe walking away from me. I had to swerve, as it came out of nowhere, and I remember hitting the brakes afterwards to see who/what it was, but there was no-one there. I'm certain it was a figure, tall and human shapred, right on the road. I don't think I had full beams on, which may have revealed them (whoever it may have been) earlier, but the fact that they were gone still gives me chills. I kept going as the whole thing had left me shocked. I don't think I even considered stopping, thinking back.

Granted, it could have been my mind playing tricks on me. I don't remember being particularly tired, as I had a significant drive from one place to the other (no more than 1 hour via my route). I distinctly remember the black shape, no other colour to it, and obviously it caught me off guard that late and that remotely.

It was roughly at this spot on the A4260, so it could have been someone trudging along, but they were completely black, and I couldn't see them in my brake lights.
A few yards away from the Holt Hotel, said to be haunted by highwayman Claude Duval (and a couple of grisly murders there many years later as well).

I thought I was related to him (but according to my family tree apparently not). I did write to them to find out more about the ghost but they never replied.
I like old Claude.
In fact, I used to go past there quite a bit at one time, but I didn't know about him back then.

Well after all these years of only semi believing, I can't actually believe it, not even now after a couple of days to reflect on what happened. During a couple of weeks of horrendous trauma on Tuesday morning I rushed into my bedroom to pick up some papers. There stood an elderly lady with a walking stick apparently looking at a photo on the wall. She turned, smiled at me for a couple of seconds and vanished. No one I knew that's for sure. The whole appearance lasted I would guess no more than 10 seconds. I had to sit on the bed to recover and asked her if she would come back to tell me why she was there, but I got no response. That afternoon the trauma ended. Was she trying to tell me that everything would work out ok? Who knows. I can now never honestly disbelieve people who say that they have witnessed the appearance of a ghost. How views can be shattered in an instance. Still find it difficult to actually comprehend.
Hi @PeteS , it's been nearly three years since you saw your ghost lady, what are your thoughts on it now, with the passing of time?

Back