• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Anyone Seen A Ghost?

Hello,

I never thought I'd have another ghost story for a LONG time, but I was wrong. On sunday, I was in my room, at about 8pm, reading up on the history of Witches and Wizards (for research I can assure you). Well, I was making notes, and I was using a book light, so I had no lights on in my room, when all of a sudden I heard this sliding noise. It sounded as if something in the corner of my room were sliding down the wall. I looked up from my book because it wasn't too dark, and I didn't see anything, so I continued making notes and the sliding continued.
I got up from my bed and went over to the corner of my room and pulled out a shopping bag that has been there since I moved (in Aug, '03) and returned to my bed.
Again, came the sliding.
I figured I had conjured something because I was intently focused on the history of CIRCE. So I said in my head, 'Go away. I rebuke you in the name of Jesus Christ.' And of course as I put my head down I noticed a dark mass move from one corner to the next.
Now, you want to talk about having a cuniption...I HAD A FREAKIN' CUNIPTION!
I jumped off my bed, threw on the lights, went over to my bookcase and grabbed an old listering bottle containing holy water from a trip I took to Fatima, Portugal in '98. I sprinkled some holy water around my room.
And then I left my room completely.
Needlesstosay, I did have a good nights sleep so whatever it was, it was gone, but I swear something dark, ominous and perhaps of the ancient witch nature was in my room on sunday night.

WW

Hermes said:
Has anyone on these boards had a close-up, unequivocal encounter with a phantom? If so, care to tell us all about it...?:eek!!!!:

Yes,and conversed with "it" briefly...or more accurately-the other way around.

No, it is too deeply personal for a detailed public exposition. Also, the message I was given has yet to come to absolute fruition,though the culmination is within sight.

For me, the ultimate question has been answered beyond doubt.

My brother has just moved house. In his last house he and others sometimes saw a young boy walking across the top of the stairs. Sadly, I never saw it.

In his new, bigger house there are several glass room dividers and when he and his wife come in from their respective shifts at work they always poke their heads around one of these dividers to see who's in the front room.

Only, SOMEONE pokes their head around when they are both sitting there, or when one is alone and the other miles away!

Both my brother and sister in law have seen an adult-sized figure walking through the house on the other side of these dividers and are hoping to be quick enough to 'jump' it one day soon.

There are 2 kids living in the house but they are only 11 and 9 and are frankly short for their ages and most unlikely to be taken for adults.

Hmmm, I may have to volunteer to babysit one of these nights! ;)

Creamstick said:
This may sound silly to some, but could it have been a Chinese hopping vampire?

(Sorry, I've just been re-watching Mr. Vampire today :) )

Oh my god! Have forgotten about Mr. Vampire! Then my bro reminded me that besides the death clothes, the feet of the corpse are tied together... which explains the shuffling! :eek!!!!:

BTW I remember having lots of fun in the office with yellow post it notes on unsuspecting colleagues after watching Mr. Vampire :p

Thanks for the reminder Creamstick!

This isn’t a patch on other tales on this thread, but it still leaves me stumped for a rational explanation:

Being the energy-efficient type, the attic in my end-terraced house is completely airtight, no windows, no skylights, and not a crack in the walls. It is securely sealed off from other residents' attics and has also recently been treated to a new roof. The entrance to the attic, like most houses, is via a 3'x2' hatch in the landing ceiling. It's a pretty heavy, loose slab of wood and to open it, it needs to be pushed up past the whole 12" depth of the hatch. There's also 6" of shocking pink insulation on top of that which, I might add, was laid the last time anyone went up there (over two years ago).

One night myself and my tenants awoke to hear a bloody irritating rapping at the front door. Being a trifle reluctant to see who it was in my jim-jams in a bad neighbourhood at 3am, I opted to sit out the noise and hope they'd clear off. After lying there guiltily listening to this patient series of polite raps, it eventually subsided and I nodded off.

What got me puzzled the next morning was, as I descended the stairs, I saw the attic door resting comfortably at a 45 degree angle on top of the insulation (its vile colour having grabbed my attention), and pushed to the rear of the hatch. Due to its awkward position and weight, it was a fag even manoeuvring it back to its rightful place, and there was certainly no draught big enough even to give it a slight wobble, let alone shove it past 18" of hatchway and plonk it haphazardly on the insulation. My lodgers denied responsibility, as they thought it was me up there pottering about.

Maybe something got impatient and let itself in(!)

Oh incidentally, Mr Vampire - fantastic film, but I thought the vamps' tendency to hop everywhere was due to rigor mortis having set in? See also Sammo Hung's Encounters of the Spooky Kind for more vampire/ kung-fu mayhem.

Well, it's way past time I started spilling my guts...

On top of trying to finish my dissertation, I've been working in tech support at the university here for a few years. Two summers ago, a co-worker and I were in charge of all the computer labs in this one, massive building. The nature of the job was such that we never had a shift together; we would take turns working either 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. or 5 p.m. to 10 p.m.

One of our tasks was to go to a distant lab in the building and close it up at 4 o'clock. (it actually belonged to one of the departments but we were in charge of it for some reason) It was a small, out-of-the-way room not used by anyone except a few grad students.

I went in one afternoon and immediately experienced that cliche of cliches, The Feeling That I Was Not Alone. I knew it as clearly as anything. I figured there were some students lurking in the back behind a couple of pillars (not an uncommon thing). I shut off one printer and began turning off computers, saying aloud "We're closing now" or something in that vein. A sudden movement caught my eye and I distinctly saw two black figures dart behind one of the pillars, one after the other. I paused briefly, then rationalized that I would have to get the damn lab shut regardless and said something like "I'll be out of here in a minute" and went about my chores. I wasn't frightened, more like gobsmacked. As I shut the windows I could look down four storeys and see people walking around outside; it was a bright, sunny summer day so the feeling and figures were quite incongruous. Maybe that was why I wasn't scared! I didn't have any problems closing the lab on subsequent shifts either. Maybe I'm just too bloody-minded, or it's my German blood telling me to suck it up and do my duty. :)

Eventually I told my co-worker, when we were changing shifts; I don't think he believed me, but he was good-natured about it and promised not to tell anyone. He'd never noticed anything like that himself, although we (and our supervisor) both agreed that there was *something* a little wonky about that room, because the computers there were always shutting themselves off, or crashing, or coming up with errors which were hard to explain. Those machines were the same vintage as the ones in the main, public lab we stayed in for most of the day, although the main lab computers saw very heavy use and seemed to bear up quite well.

The only times I was ever afraid to go and close down a lab was at night, and that was for more mundane reasons of safety--you wouldn't believe how many (earthly) weirdoes a university campus can attract, even on a summer night. :rolleyes:

Sorry this was a boring and long-winded story; I do have weirder ones

Leafs suck! Go Sens go!

For someone with the name "escargot", you are spookily fast. :)

This is probably going to be an even more long-winded one, since I have rampant logorrheic tendencies, so don't say you hain't been warned!

To set the scene: for two years I lived in a one-bedroom apartment, alone with my cat(s) (I acquired the second while I was living there). Incidentally, this place was just across the hall from the *two* bedroom apartment I moved to later and where I had my "footsteps in the office" experience.

I was initially quite nervous being alone there because it was the first place I'd lived totally on my own, without roommates. Also, it was set up so that if you were standing at the front door, you could see right down the hallway and into my room. For some stupid reason I'd placed the bed so that when I was lying there I could look straight ahead and at the front door. I kept expecting someone to come through it or something (oh, those girlish nerves!). The living room, of necessity, held just about everything: the usual living room stuff, a kitchen table pushed up against the wall, stereo, computer desk, etc. You can understand why I grabbed the vacant 2BR place like a shot. :D

I worked at home a lot and usually had the radio on from morning till night--just plain ol' CBC One (the talk/news one, for those of you keeping score at home). I started noticing, when I turned it on, that the function button would be set to CD or Tape, though I rarely played either in those days.

Another thing (which, strangely, I've only just remembered): I was sitting on the couch one evening when I heard a noise and looked over just in time to see a pile of papers on the table, which had been stacked up against the wall, slide over and tumble across the desk onto the floor. What strikes me now about the memory was how fast they moved, not as if they'd slowly overbalanced. It was more like they'd gotten a hard nudge. I think I blamed the cat, even though he was only walking past and isn't *that* heavy.

That was the apartment where I heard voices in my ear, too.

Another night, around midnight, I was on my computer when there was a knock at the door. I got up and looked through the peephole, saw nothing, and stupidly opened the door. There I found two representatives of the local constabulary, each one carefully standing to the *side* of the door (the reason for this will become clear in a moment). One said they were investigating reports of a gunshot in the area; would I mind if they looked around? Well, whether I did or not, you kind of feel obliged to let them in, and so I did. One stayed in the living room talking to me. While my overly-familiar cat practically climbed up his leg begging to be petted, he asked me if I was alone and if anyone else lived there. I told him I hadn't heard anything out of the usual; it was warm out and the windows were open, so I certainly would have heard. The other one was checking out the other rooms and confirmed that I was alone. They apologized for disturbing me and left.

This was sort of weird, but then again I *do* live in the prison capital of Canada (how's that for a dead giveaway, folks?) and the local citizens aren't always on their best behaviour. (Once nearly walked into an armed robbery in progress, but that's a whole other story) I kind of shrugged and went about my bidness.

The next evening I was coming back from aerobics when I was practically accosted by a woman I was friendly with, who lived downstairs. The gist of it was that both she and my next-door neighbour distinctly heard a gunshot in my apartment, consulted with each other, and decided to call the cops. They were sure I'd killed myself. [While guns aren't impossible to get in Canada by any means, it's rather uncommon for a private citizen to have a handgun, and besides, what would a grad student be doing with one? There are much easier ways to top oneself] Anyway, Neighbour couldn't believe I hadn't heard anything. I suppose this, like the stereo, papers, and voice, had a perfectly rational explanation but added together they were looking a bit weird.

The capper came one night when I was in bed. I'd gotten into the habit of sometimes leaving lights on in the living room while I slept--that security thing again, or...? I woke up feeling like someone was there. I raised my head, squinted, and distinctly saw a dark silhouette in my bedroom doorway. I grabbed my glasses, and REALLY distinctly saw the shape of a man standing there.

This is hard to believe, but I immediately fell back asleep and didn't wake until the next morning. With my glasses on. I think I moved later that summer.

Later, safely ensconced in my 2BR across the hall, I was talking to a very 'sensitive' friend of mine, who confirmed that she sensed a young man in that apartment, who finally showed up one night because he was curious about me and had been trying to get my attention. I jumped when she said that, because I did sometimes get that "something is trying to get my attention" feeling--sort of a low hum, metaphorically speaking, at the back of my mind. She also described a sort of "vortex of energy" (what the feck?!) in the wall separating the kitchen and living room! I suppose one would logically think that he shot himself, or was killed there, but curiously she could neither confirm nor deny this. The gunshot thing still puzzles me; I don't know if it was genuinely supernatural, or whether my neighbours heard something else, or what.

Oh, and for the record, I've since moved out of that building completely. :) Sorry for being so damn longwinded again; it would probably take me three pages to describe a sneeze.

[Edited to add:] I'd had ongoing problems with depression, which got worse and worse while I was living there. Part of that was surely due to being alone so much and working on academic stuff, which was very stressful. After I moved out, the place was taken over by another female student, who kept to herself, and the aforementioned downstairs neighbour later told me that she, the student, was also very depressed and in fact her dad was coming to take her home, she was in such a state. I felt much better after I'd moved to the bigger place, and I hope she felt better after leaving, too. Unfortunately her leaving coincided with a new landlord and the place rapidly going downhill; for a long time my old place was inhabited by a succession of drug dealers--see earlier comment about prison town. :hmph: Before I left the building for good, the apartment finally had a nice guy living there, a single dad whose son stayed there on the weekends. We used to chat a lot and I asked him if he'd ever noticed anything strange about my old place. He gave me a significant look and said the place creaked a lot, but refused to say anything else.

Thanks for reading this far! Drinks are on me!

Re: Leafs suck! Go Sens go!

Leaferne said:
This is hard to believe, but I immediately fell back asleep and didn't wake until the next morning.
It's not hard for me to believe. I do it all the time.

I remember the apartement I used to live in as a kid had a very gloomy, depressing air. So did the general area it was located it. Even looking back at it now I can remember just be generally not happy in that apartement. I was happier before and after living there.

I recently came across an item which claimed that the spirit of John Lennon could be seen at both the Dakota ( the site of his untimely death ) and at a bungalow he'd once rented/owned in the hollywood hills and which is presently owned by 'Ghostbuster' Dan Aykroyd. All this coupled with other claims that he can also be seen haunting various places in Liverpool. Puzzling, and seems to make no sense re the theory that ghosts are spirits trapped at a single place ( generally held to be the location of their deaths ). If the report is true, then it is at least comforting to know that we get to vacation even in the afterlife!

That does make sense though, if we're not confined to the flesh, then I guess the essense could be in several places at once or maybe different historical acts could all be replayed all at the same time. That would be a cluster f*ck.

ignatius said:
Puzzling, and seems to make no sense re the theory that ghosts are spirits trapped at a single place ( generally held to be the location of their deaths ). If the report is true, then it is at least comforting to know that we get to vacation even in the afterlife!

I personally believe that there are different types of ghost. It maybe a replaying of the event in the Dakota building or his spirit may be revisiting places he was familiar with.

I've not actually SEEN a ghost myself, but I think I've felt one's presence. This happened to me when I was a junior or senior in high school, so about 15 or so years ago. My dad used to be the head maintenance man for a church which was pretty old (over 125 years, for where I live--the Chicago suburbs--that's considered pretty old for a building).
Anyhow, one early Saturday morning, I went with him since he said there were some old newspapers from the 40s and 50s piled up in one of the rooms in the basement he'd come across recently that I might be interested looking at. He took me down to the area below the main sanctuary of the church, with contained a large room with smaller rooms off of the larger one, which were ladies and mens' lounges originally but for many years had been used for storage. The main room was dimly lit, a little light coming in from dirty stained glass windows at the top of the stairs that led back up to the entrance to the church itself. The lounges each had elegant Art Deco light fixtures in them, but they hadn't worked for years my dad said, so he gave me a high powered flashlight and showed me where the stacks of old newspapers where, in the anteroom of the old men's lounge, on a heavy wooden table which also had lots of other old junk piled up on it. This room was only slightly lit, again by a small window with dusty frosted glass. At the back of the room was a door with large boxes piled up in front of it (in fact the room was full of dusty boxes, old church pews, a couple old candelabras, folding chairs, and lots of other various stuff). The door used to lead to the actual restroom. The walls of the room where lined with mirrors, a couple of which were cracked.
My dad left me in the room and said he'd be back to get me in a little while. I began looking thru the yellowed and very dusty and musty smelling newspapers, illuminated by the flashlight. After what seemed like less than five minutes, I thought I heard a movement behind me in the open doorframe which led out to the larger main room. I turned around and shone the flashlight in that direction and called out for my dad but got no reply. So I walked out into the main room and called up the stairs again for my dad, a bit louder but no one answered. I shrugged it off and went back to looking at the old papers, and not more than a couple minutes later, I felt someone watching me from the arched doorway. I looked over my shoulder expecting my dad, but of course the doorway was empty. I realized I'd have seen his reflection in the mirrors a few feet in front of me, too, but didn't see any movement in the mirrors. I still walked out into the larger room again, shining the flashlight across the darkness and think I even said "Is someone there?" or something like that. This time I was weirded out, because I could've sworn I felt eyes boring into the back of my head for that moment.
I went back into the men's lounge, a bit apprehensive now, and this time faced the doorway as I leafed thru the old newspapers. That's when it happened. My flashlight suddenly went out. I frantically flicked the switch back & forth trying to get it to go back on, but it didn't. I banged it a couple times against the hardwood table and tried switching it on again, but it wouldn't go on. I felt a feeling of panic and fear wash over me then, and my heart was pounding in my throat, and could barely get my feet to move I was so scared. I also began to feel a definite, for lack of a better word, presence in that dimly lit room with me. It felt like something was right there in front of me, right in the doorway, staring at me, and it definitely wasn't a friendly feeling.
I ran, into the main room, up the stairs, into the sanctuary of the church, which was empty and only lit by the little light coming thru the stained glass windows, and out towards the lobby area, where I almost collided with my dad. "That didn't last long!" he said, "Are you done with the newspapers?" I said yes, and asked if he'd been down there since he first brought me there. He said no. Then he said, "You left my flashlight downstairs, go get it." I told him point blank there was no way I was going back down there. He asked why, and I told him what happened. He sort of smiled and said he'd get it later before we left. He didn't say anything more, so I wondered if he just thought I was imagining things, or if he'd actually seen or felt things down there himself. (I never did ask him if he did, but never did go back down into the basement alone again, although I did a couple times with my dad, and felt nothing unusual).

One of my friends l(Damon) ives in a house that's haunted. Not creepy haunted or scary haunted, more like "what in the hell was that?" kind of haunted. The only person who has not had an encounter is the guy that actually lives there. It's quite common that if you sleep on the couch you get woke up by the front door opening and shutting (a very recognizable sound) and what sounds like 2-3 people coming in and hanging out in the kitchen (seperated from the living room by another smaller room but with no doors in between. If you get up and go into the kitchen no one is there and the pull chains for the ceiling fan will be swinging. My brother-in-law (Keith) has had more direct contact with whatever is in there. He's not a believer in very many fortean things but he gets super serious when he tells about his encounters. The first time he met "it" he was staying for the night at the house. He was about 17 and got up in the middle of the night to go to the bathroom (if you knew him you would know why we call him acorn bladder). He had been sleeping on the couch (yet again the couch comes in to play). From the living room you go down a hallway that has 7 doors lining it 2 to bedrooms, 1 to a linen closet, 1 to the attic, 1 to the kitchen, 1 to the room that connects the living room to the kitchen and 1 to the bathroom. Well, anyway, he walked down the hall to the bathroom, did his business, and started to come back. When he looked down the hall he saw someone else at the other end. It couldn't have been Damon or Damon's dad because the both slept the sleep of the dead. He figured it was our friends sister (Mandy) who also lived in the house at the same time. He said, "It's just me" (it was common for him to spend the night there. He came down the hall and the figure began to move towards him and his shoulder brushed up against "it" he apologized and got a sort of grunt in return. He laid back down on the couch and went back to sleep. When he woke up in the morning Mandy was just pulling in. She had been at her boyfriends house all night. Keith was pretty dumbfounded. Later on Damon's mom died of a stroke resulting from M.S. and his dad was killed in a car wreck a few months later. Afterwards Keith moved into Damon's house into Mandy's old room (she was by then living at college). One night my sister was spending the night at the house with Keith. They had just laid down to go to sleep when the bedroom door opened. They spoke up and said that they were in there and who ever opened the door (in a younger woman's voice) said "Oh sorry, I forgot." Keith and my sister figured that it must have been Mandy. At the same time the rest of us were in the living room watching tv and doing a little drinking. Keith came into the living room and asked where Mandy was. We all looked at each other and with a little confusion told him Mandy wasn't there. He said that she had to be there because she had just opened the door. We told him he was crazy and to go back to bed. From where we were sitting we could see all of the entrances into and out of the house and would have known if someone would have come in. A couple of years ago Damon went on vacation and left the house entrusted to another friend of ours (Mark). A couple of days into Damon being gone I stopped in to see what Mark was up to. When I pulled into the drive Mark had already come out of the house and met up with me before I had even got out. He looked a little shaky and was appearing rather paranoid. (Mark had not stayed the night at this house very many times and most of us usually didn't talk about our supernatural experiences in the house because of Damon's parents. Mark asked me for a cigarette. He looked like he wanted to tell me something and it took some coaxing from me to get him started. He proceded to tell me that he had been asleep on the couch (OOOOOHHHH the couch) when he was woke up by the front door closing rather hard. He laid on the couch for a little bit and the door opened and closed a couple of more times. I stopped him there and said, "And then you heard the girls talking." Mark turned so white I thought he was going to faint. "You've heard them?" he asked me sounding relieved to know he hadn't gone psycho. I nodded, half smiling. He then finished his story. While he was laying on the couch he could he the voices pick up but couldn't make out what they were talking about. He was sure that they were female and somewhere around their early 20's. (Yound ladies, ALLRIGHT!!) He got off the couch and made his way to the kitchen the whole time trying to listen to the conversation. When he got to the kitchen door the voices stopped immediately and when he looked in the kitchen was empty. He freaked. He went to backroom grabbed a gun (not quite sure what that was gonna do) and made his was through the house turning on every light he could find. I related to him that I had heard them at least 10 times and had gotten used to it over the years. He told me there was no way in hell that he could get used to something like that. The last encounter I had involved multiple people so it can't be blamed on sleeping or a hypnogogic experience. A bunch of us were hanging out at the house one evening and had all made our way to the basement where the pool table is kept. Mandy and my sister were sitting on the stairs that lead from the basement up talking to me and our friend Darren. About 10 feet from me and Darren was a table that has been down there as long as any of us can remember. The base of the table consists of 3 steel car wheels with their outside rims welded together with a round hard-wood butcher block top. All in all this table weighs at least 350 lbs and it takes 3 of us to move it without losing any toes. We all heard a crunching noise and looked at the table which had started to rock and wobble on its base (like if you take a drinking class and set it down real quick at a slight angle). We all froze. It rocked and wobbled for about 7-10 seconds and Mandy and my sister both jumped and shook and said that they just felt a cold wind. (it was early August and in Missouri there is no such thing as an early August cool breeze). The door to the upstairs creaked and we heard footsteps over our heads and head towards the living room. Everybody that was in the other room of the basement came in to see what was going on. They heard the door and the footsteps and figured someone had got pissed or got sick. We told them that it was the ghost and everybody just kind of stood there. After the silence we all started relating our encounters and have talked about them quite a bit since them.

I'm not sure if this should be here or in IHTM because it's more of a "It Happened to Us" so I'll put it here for now and put it elsewhere if need be.

Foul Ole Ron said:
My mum was once locked in the loo at Berry Pomeroy Castle in Devon. The toilet consisted of a single loo and sink and the door lock was a bolt that slid into place. My auntie was standing outside waiting so mum didn't lock the door (she has arthiritus and consequently has little strength in her hands). When she had finished she tried to open the door but the bolt had slid into place. She had trouble unlocking it and was quite shocked as she was adamant she had not locked the door! What kind of ghost locks old ladies in toilets?:D

Oh my, that just gave me chills! I was doing a search for Berry Pomeroy Castle here, as I had some experiences there, and I know this is an ooooold post but I just had to comment!

I went there with my Grandparents when I was a youngster (just around the pubescent mark I think) and I hated the damned place, it felt absolutely vile. The Basement there has a terrible tradition for there having been tortures there, and someone being starved or something (I didn't know any of this beforehand) and just looking at the entrance filled me with dread. My Grandfather went on down and me and my Gran went to the toilets.

Ah, those toilets, which I assume had to be the same ones you Mum had an experience at. Horrible, old single toilet building a little way away from the castle. The closer I got to those toilets the more terrified I felt - it was even worse than near the Basement, I didn't see anything but I just felt something indescribable...kind of like the fear you experience with Sleep Paralysis. Horrible and inexplicable.

My Gran felt it too and although we saw a woman come out without having experienced anything that we could see, it was too much for us and we ran back to find my Granddad and say we wanted to go home, NOW.

Bear in mind also, that when I need the loo, I will go ANYWHERE (execpt in my pants, lol, I have some class) including nasty little public lavs and I was bursting at that time but I just could not go in there. I held it all the way home :D

Your mother was incredibly brave for having gone in there.

Sarah - I have read of several people having terrible feelings at Berry Pomeroy, and although I love castles, when we did visit the area and could have gone there, I persuaded my parents not to visit it.
When I visited Littlecote House years ago I felt sick and shaky for hours afterwards, although it was an interesting place, but I hated it with a passion. ( Of course it could just have been a virus, I suppose)

I "sense" things all the time.

I did see a ghost a few months back though.

In february me and (my ex) boyfriend went to stay at the Crowne Plaza Hotel in Manchester.... room 345...

We'd been out to a club, and come back, turned out the lights and got into bed. I decided to turn over, and i saw a hazy figure in the corner of the room, near the bathroom door. I looked at it, and to me it looked like a woman in a victorian maids outfit: a long black skirt, a white shirt and a black cardi or cape, and a bonnet. It was just stood there staring at us, i pointed to it and told my bf to look, and he saw it too. We just sat and stared for a few seconds, then i suddenly felt really sad, and started to cry. At that point i got really spooked, flicked the bedside light on and it was gone, and the feeling of sadness passed. I wasn't really scared untill i started to cry. The bf was terrified though.

Another story is to do with my grandmothers old house, a big old converted barn. I didnt SEE anything, but, at 5.50 on many occasions... weekly, if not daily, the door to the television room slammed shut. Even if it was left shut. Apparently a farmer once hung himself some where in the house. There are a lot of exposed stuctural beams in the television room, so it 's likely it was there.

A good place to start with my first post. :spinning

I saw one when i was a kid, maybe 7 or 8 yrs old. The "ghost" was as solid & real as you or me and so i obviously thought it was a real person. Only upon reflection as an adult, did i realise this could not have been the case.

Me and my friends were playing in the woods, across from my primary school. i remember we were just standing around, when i/we heard a rustling. I turned round to see this person, a soldier, i think he took a few steps, he then raised a rifle to his eye and then bang. We all ran for our lives( i remember when we were out of the woods and "safe", we stopped and some said "I saw him" but others did not, so i can't be absolutely sure that any of my pals saw this).

This is how he looked, i can remember this fairly clearly still. He appeared to be a "Redcoat", he had the crossed white strips on his jacket/front, which was red(i'm pretty sure of this, but i could be wrong), a tall dark cap and his rifle.
He just looked like a real person, i told my mum who obviously thought i had made up a story.
As i said, it was only later, in my late teens, that i realised this could not have been a real person, i mean a single guy dressed as a Redcoat in my local woods, firing a gun!.

Now here is the thing, my school was built next to a Reservoir which had a small island in the middle with a ruined castle on it, i don't know when it dates from, but i did check a local map and there was a mark for a battle in the area(crossed swords), the date escapes me.

My belief is that what i saw was some kind of "replay" of a past event, that i was somehow able to perceive(this was the late 70s), most likely related to this battle.

Absolutely true!. :nonplus:

Conductor71 said:
This is how he looked, i can remember this fairly clearly still. He appeared to be a "Redcoat", he had the crossed white strips on his jacket/front, which was red(i'm pretty sure of this, but i could be wrong), a tall dark cap and his rifle.

Last night I was looking through some old photos and found this image. I'm not sure what the event was, the picture was taken in Prince's Street Gardens, Edinburgh ten years or so ago. This is a small detail of a frame. I think the uniforms are French Napoleonic. There is an obvious give away (with a diamond frame) that these are modern people in costume. I just thought it was a bit of synchronicity that I should find this just before reading the thread.

Conductors story is interesting, I don't think people in re-enactment society would deliberately shoot at kids.

Hello Everyone!

All I have to say, in regards to the heavily detailed stories I've just read is: THANK HEAVENS THE PLACE I LIVE IN NOW HAS NO GHOSTS!!!
I have lived with ghosts ALL my life, and finally-FINALLY!!!- I am at peace. We'll see how long this lasts.

WW

Austen said:
Conductors story is interesting, I don't think people in re-enactment society would deliberately shoot at kids.

Yeah, he was not shooting in our direction. It was like we were not there, he was side on, he seemed to step out, raise his rifle and fired. He would have been going towards the reservoir, at least in that direction.
There was no other noise, nobody else, just this one guy.

Pete Younger said:
More likely to have looked like this...

That Redcoat pic. is pretty much how he looked, particularly the Cap. His jacket could have been blue or another colour, i cannot say for sure. This was in Scotland.

tastyintestines said:
Did you see if he had any feet, and if so what kind of boots was he wearing?

I don't know, i mostly recall the crossed white strips on his jacket and the tall dark cap. There was nothing ghostly about him physically, that i remember, he just looked flesh & blood.
I turned and ran for my life when i heard the bang, so i did not see if he remained there or disappeared or anything.
As i said, it was a real physical experience but makes no logical sense.:confused:

chewlip: "I saw a hazy figure in the corner of the room, near the bathroom door. I looked at it, and to me it looked like a woman in a Victorian maids outfit: a long black skirt, a white shirt and a black cardi or cape, and a bonnet."

I can't find any reference online to any previously noted ghosts at the Midland
Hotel, Manchester. But the search is complicated by the fact that it was there
that a certain Mr Rolls and Mr Royce first met, who were later to conceive a
Silver Ghost!

I don't know what livery the early staff would have worn at the Hotel, perhaps something
like what is described, though the building only dates from 1903. Of course it could have
been built on the site of an Old Victorian Maids' Burial Ground. :eek:

Whilst visiting Burghley house during the week, I was walking across the park land infront of the house, looking for a jacket that my wife had dropped. Will doing this I passed a couple who were also walking, about a minute later I found the jacket and turned back the way I had came. Strangely I didnt pass them on the way back, which I found odd, I looked round for them and despite the fact that there was open ground all round, and nothing that could obscure my sight they seemed to have totaly vanished.

Back