• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.
Maybe they need to bring this to so-called Bigfoot hotspots.

https://www.earth.com/news/scientists-vacuumed-animal-dna-from-a-forest-and-the-results-are-amazing/

The boxes, rigged with DNA air samplers, were strapped onto tree trunks, air filters attached, and then powered on. As the boxes powered up, a faint hum indicated that they were collecting airborne particles.

Over the next three days, the researchers returned to the forest on numerous occasions to replace the air filters, each time marking a step further into their investigation.

“We saw relatively few animals in the short time we spent in the forest when we changed the air filters. A squirrel, the sound of a woodpecker, a pheasant squawking, and a white-tailed eagle flying above us one day,” said Christina Lynggaard. However, the richness of the biodiversity they discovered in the air starkly contrasted the lack of visible activity.

By sequencing the airborne DNA particles collected on the filters, the team discovered a surprising number of forest inhabitants. The “vacuuming” process, executed over three days in an area of the forest roughly equivalent to a football field, unveiled DNA traces from 64 animal species.

They detected the DNA of animals including domestic species like cows, pigs, sheep, chickens, and dogs, and even exotic pets like parakeets and peacocks. Yet, the real surprise was the detection of roughly 50 terrestrial wild animals.

Maybe they need to bring this to so-called Bigfoot hotspots.

https://www.earth.com/news/scientists-vacuumed-animal-dna-from-a-forest-and-the-results-are-amazing/

The boxes, rigged with DNA air samplers, were strapped onto tree trunks, air filters attached, and then powered on. As the boxes powered up, a faint hum indicated that they were collecting airborne particles.

Over the next three days, the researchers returned to the forest on numerous occasions to replace the air filters, each time marking a step further into their investigation.

“We saw relatively few animals in the short time we spent in the forest when we changed the air filters. A squirrel, the sound of a woodpecker, a pheasant squawking, and a white-tailed eagle flying above us one day,” said Christina Lynggaard. However, the richness of the biodiversity they discovered in the air starkly contrasted the lack of visible activity.

By sequencing the airborne DNA particles collected on the filters, the team discovered a surprising number of forest inhabitants. The “vacuuming” process, executed over three days in an area of the forest roughly equivalent to a football field, unveiled DNA traces from 64 animal species.

They detected the DNA of animals including domestic species like cows, pigs, sheep, chickens, and dogs, and even exotic pets like parakeets and peacocks. Yet, the real surprise was the detection of roughly 50 terrestrial wild animals.
This is fascinating and has great potential. Would anyone have really believed the chap who says he would see peacocks in these woods? or would he have been subject to the usual jibes about alcohol and mistaking pheasants foe peacocks etc?

"Despite dealing with tiny amounts of airborne environmental DNA, the researchers went to great lengths to verify their findings. When they first detected DNA from peacocks, they feared it might be an error. But upon further investigation, they found local residents who confirmed occasional peacock sightings during their walks."

It reminds me how colleague of @lordmongrove Jon Downes of the CFZ had collected field reports of supposedly extinct pine martens in the woods of Cornwall and Devon and yet was met with a wall of denial and ridicule until this happened some years later:

"First came the beavers, appearing mysteriously in a Devon river centuries after being hunted to extinction; now another intriguing animal believed to have vanished from southern Britain – the pine marten – may also have returned from the dead."

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...corded-in-west-country-by-night-vision-camera

Also forum member @stu neville was being told of wild boar in the Forest of Dean long before the government's environmental agencies were prepared to admit they existed (so as to avoid the hassle!)

They do however talk about checking against a database and we don't have any bigfoot DNA on a database. Therefore is there a potential problem that if bigfoot DNA is there it may be mistaken for human. If bigfoot is a hominid there is an even greater chance of this as it may be closer to us than a chimp. Didn't Brian Sykes find DNA that was very close to human at one of the Himalayan sites and I think the verdict was something like - not certain, may be human, may not.

Having said that it does look as if it could provide better evidence than blobby IR pictures or strange hooting and if there is no remotely primate DNA in the sample (if the testers can be excluded) then there's something to think about.

Doubtless however interdimensional, UFO piloting, bigfoots here for a glamping holiday of staying in rustic shelters and banging on trees and hooting, don't have DNA anyway. :thought:

This is fascinating and has great potential. Would anyone have really believed the chap who says he would see peacocks in these woods? or would he have been subject to the usual jibes about alcohol and mistaking pheasants foe peacocks etc?

"Despite dealing with tiny amounts of airborne environmental DNA, the researchers went to great lengths to verify their findings. When they first detected DNA from peacocks, they feared it might be an error. But upon further investigation, they found local residents who confirmed occasional peacock sightings during their walks."

It reminds me how colleague of @lordmongrove Jon Downes of the CFZ had collected field reports of supposedly extinct pine martens in the woods of Cornwall and Devon and yet was met with a wall of denial and ridicule until this happened some years later:

"First came the beavers, appearing mysteriously in a Devon river centuries after being hunted to extinction; now another intriguing animal believed to have vanished from southern Britain – the pine marten – may also have returned from the dead."

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...corded-in-west-country-by-night-vision-camera

Also forum member @stu neville was being told of wild boar in the Forest of Dean long before the government's environmental agencies were prepared to admit they existed (so as to avoid the hassle!)
Peacocks aren't the best example. They escape from personal animal collections rather frequently.
Maybe a better example is people who insist they see mountain lions in the northeastern US where there really shouldn't be any. Sometimes they are passing through.

There are peacocks at Saltwood castle, about a mile from here as the peacock flies and they do from time to time. I've not been lucky enough to see one though. They go home when they're ready.

There are peacocks at Saltwood castle, about a mile from here as the peacock flies and they do from time to time. I've not been lucky enough to see one though. They go home when they're ready.
I've known a few places like that with peacocks and we had one appear suddenly in the grounds of a hotel I work at. Unfortunately they are a favourite of foxes and it didn't last long.

Skeptics stunned by resurfaced video of ‘Bigfoot’ in Mississippi woods: ‘Best footage ever recorded’

Incredible video that seemingly shows a Sasquatch darting through the woods of Mississippi is going viral, with some saying it’s the best footage of the creature ever captured.

The video was recorded by Josh Highcliffe, who posted it to YouTube back in 2015, where it has clocked up more than 811,000 views.

In a caption beneath the 2-minute clip, Highcliffe explained that he came across the creature ripping bark off a tree trunk and throwing it to the ground.

“I thought it was a hog but saw these big shoulders and a head upright with hands,” the hunter continued. “It looked like it was digging out the stump. My first instinct was to run, I did not even think of shooting.”

The Mississippi man alleged that the creature was seven feet tall and did not remotely resemble a bear.

https://nypost.com/2023/08/19/skept...mississippi-woods-best-footage-ever-recorded/

maximus otter

Skeptics stunned by resurfaced video of ‘Bigfoot’ in Mississippi woods: ‘Best footage ever recorded’

Incredible video that seemingly shows a Sasquatch darting through the woods of Mississippi is going viral, with some saying it’s the best footage of the creature ever captured.

The video was recorded by Josh Highcliffe, who posted it to YouTube back in 2015, where it has clocked up more than 811,000 views.

In a caption beneath the 2-minute clip, Highcliffe explained that he came across the creature ripping bark off a tree trunk and throwing it to the ground.

“I thought it was a hog but saw these big shoulders and a head upright with hands,” the hunter continued. “It looked like it was digging out the stump. My first instinct was to run, I did not even think of shooting.”

The Mississippi man alleged that the creature was seven feet tall and did not remotely resemble a bear.

https://nypost.com/2023/08/19/skept...mississippi-woods-best-footage-ever-recorded/

maximus otter
Got a feeling as I watched this that I had seen this before, then clicked on the link and realised I had as this originated in 2016. Personally I think it is a black bear digging for grubs or whatever but would love to be proven wrong

Got a feeling as I watched this that I had seen this before, then clicked on the link and realised I had as this originated in 2016. Personally I think it is a black bear digging for grubs or whatever but would love to be proven wrong
Here's what I see as being 'image give-aways.'
*With image standing upright.

1692714166999.png

Les Stroud a.k.a Survivorman has released his entire catalogue of Bigfoot episodes onto YouTube. There are presently 9 episodes and the first two have him interacting with Todd Standing (who doesn't have the greatest reputation in the Bigfoot/Sasquatch community).
Nonetheless, these are enjoyable.

From his channel:

The gold standard by which all other Bigfoot documentaries and TV series are measured, Les Stroud's Survivorman Bigfoot represents Stroud's yearlong foray into the world of cryptid exploration. With healthy skepticism and an open mind, Stroud places himself in remote and unforgiving areas as well as not-so-dangerous areas to experience what certain witnesses maintain is possible. Unconvinced by elaborate and fanciful, well told stories, Stroud does what he always has as a documentary film maker - seeks to get to the authentic bottom of the story.

Les Stroud - Survivorman's Bigfoot Videos
I am going to a Les Stroud talk next week in Ottawa,hope his Bigfoot hunt gets a mention.

That walk looks human to me, far more so that Patty's which always looked different - although it is walking downhill. Why would a secretive, intelligent creature walk along the skyline? Not a great strategy for hiding or hunting.

That walk looks human to me, far more so that Patty's which always looked different - although it is walking downhill. Why would a secretive, intelligent creature walk along the skyline? Not a great strategy for hiding or hunting.
If you're that big, there's no need to hide...

A friend sent me this video/talk as he knows I'm interested in this type of stuff. It's really begins about 10 minutes in and goes on for about 50 minutes longer.

The speaker, Juan O Savin, I've listened to many times over the years in podcasts, videos, etc, and all of what he has predicted politically has come true so I've no reason to question him but still, what he says here about an encounter by someone else with a Sasquatch? I'm not so sure. He does seem to know a lot about a lot of subjects so maybe what he is describing is true.

I'm keeping an open mind.

https://rumble.com/v33zja4-juan-o-savin-wild-ride-with-juan-the-sasquatch-tapes-nino.html

Back