• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Birds Aren't Real

IIRC there something about a disallowed Darwin Award nominee who Rangers in Yellowsone had prevented from smearing their child with honey in order to get as photo of a bear licking it off.

It seems there was something with bear cub many years ago but the Darwin Awards story is likely an urban legend.

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/bear-mauls-honey-smeared-child/

Although the attack described might never have happened, at least one photograph of a bear licking a honey-smeared child exists; indeed, it’s possible memories of that photo sparked the legend. A two-month-old bear cub was found during a forest fire in May 1950 in New Mexico. The game warden flew the cub to Santa Fe, where a vet nursed him; a photographer, dabbing honey on the chin of the warden’s daughter, got a picture that captured America’s heart: the cub licking her face. The bear went on to take up residence in Washington’s National Zoo.

What if birds think drones are birds but there's one bird claiming that drones aren't real that the other birds think is some elaborate joke?

Birds Aren’t Real conspiracy group ‘fighting lunacy with lunacy’ & huge protest in ‘pigeon drone hotspot’

A conspiracy group which says it is "fighting lunacy with lunacy" held a huge protest in New York City on Saturday.

Birds Aren't Real, a parody movement claims that all birds in the US were replaced by lookalike drones which are used by the government to spy on citizens. The group itself admits that it does not truly believe the conspiracy.

Peter McIndoe, the 24-year-old behind the Gen-Z conspiracy movement, spoke to CBS earlier this year about the "lunacy of it all."

"It's taking this concept of misinformation and almost building a little safe space to come together within it and laugh at it, rather than be scared by it," McIndoe said.

https://www.the-sun.com/news/6457166/birds-arent-real-conspiracy-group-protest-pigeon-drone-hotspot/

maximus otter

Birds Aren’t Real conspiracy group ‘fighting lunacy with lunacy’ & huge protest in ‘pigeon drone hotspot’

A conspiracy group which says it is "fighting lunacy with lunacy" held a huge protest in New York City on Saturday.

Birds Aren't Real, a parody movement claims that all birds in the US were replaced by lookalike drones which are used by the government to spy on citizens. The group itself admits that it does not truly believe the conspiracy.

Peter McIndoe, the 24-year-old behind the Gen-Z conspiracy movement, spoke to CBS earlier this year about the "lunacy of it all."

"It's taking this concept of misinformation and almost building a little safe space to come together within it and laugh at it, rather than be scared by it," McIndoe said.

https://www.the-sun.com/news/6457166/birds-arent-real-conspiracy-group-protest-pigeon-drone-hotspot/

maximus otter
The dead giveaway. . . "no guano, and they don't drop-in for seeds!"
*("The addition of the word don't is a correction!")

Last edited:
The dead giveaway. . . "no guano, and they drop-in for seeds!"
Yes. If birds aren't real then birdshit isn't real. So what's all over my car? Somewhere there is a factory making fake birdshit and thousands of minimum wage workers stuffing it into the robot birds. Also it has to be the correct type of birdshit for the bird in question.

Does this conspiracy involve all birds? Are penguins real? What about chickens?

We need a whistleblower, "I was a fake birdshit stuffer employed at Area 51".

If you are going to have a conspiracy do it properly. :)

Researchers are stuffing drones into taxidermy birds to make them seem more 'natural'

Why spend all that time building and fine tuning robots that mimic birds when you can just…stuff robots in dead birds’ bodies? It’s hardly that simple, but a recent project courtesy of Mostafa Hassanalian and their fellow New Mexico Tech colleagues put the peculiar idea to the test.

The team designed new systems reliant on taxidermy bird parts and artificial wing setups to mirror their (formerly living) avian inspirations. Hassanalian’s group technically built two dead bird bots—one fusing artificial body parts with an actual pheasant’s head and feathers, as well as a mechanical body combined with real pigeon wings.

The techno-taxidermy models, perhaps unsurprisingly, lag considerably behind their living counterparts’ maneuverability, speed, and grace. Currently, however, the feathery drones can glide, hover in place, and soar higher on hot thermal currents—just don’t expect them to do anything elegantly just yet.

https://www.popsci.com/technology/taxidermy-bird-drone-robot/

maximus otter

Researchers are stuffing drones into taxidermy birds to make them seem more 'natural'

Why spend all that time building and fine tuning robots that mimic birds when you can just…stuff robots in dead birds’ bodies? It’s hardly that simple, but a recent project courtesy of Mostafa Hassanalian and their fellow New Mexico Tech colleagues put the peculiar idea to the test.

The team designed new systems reliant on taxidermy bird parts and artificial wing setups to mirror their (formerly living) avian inspirations. Hassanalian’s group technically built two dead bird bots—one fusing artificial body parts with an actual pheasant’s head and feathers, as well as a mechanical body combined with real pigeon wings.

The techno-taxidermy models, perhaps unsurprisingly, lag considerably behind their living counterparts’ maneuverability, speed, and grace. Currently, however, the feathery drones can glide, hover in place, and soar higher on hot thermal currents—just don’t expect them to do anything elegantly just yet.

https://www.popsci.com/technology/taxidermy-bird-drone-robot/

maximus otter
So They're going to avoid me shooting down Their drones because I'll think they're pigeons? Perhaps pheasant was not the best choice.

I have only just discovered this today, I think it's fabulous! The more disturbing, repetitive CT's irritate me but this one is quite charming and hilarious. I love the idea of birds with batteries, that the pandemic was created to distract us from noticing the batteries being replaced. This is harmless entertainment, unless someone starts harming the birds:(
Surely the person who started this one was trolling, or up for a laugh?

I could be persuaded to think the jackdaws in the Lake District are onto me though. They will often circle me, strutting like serious little policemen, possibly just reminding us to keep in line.

I could be persuaded to think the jackdaws in the Lake District are onto me though. They will often circle me, strutting like serious little policemen, possibly just reminding us to keep in line.
Then they fly over here to hassle me for not filling up the fat ball holder in my garden.

I'll go out there and threaten to take out their batteries, that ought to sort them.

If birds aren't real what purpose is served by them pooping on people and cars?

If birds aren't real what purpose is served by them pooping on people and cars?
For sh*ts and giggles? Truman Show-style audience laughter.

I'm looking after my sister's cockatiel this week. I wish it wasn't real, the bad tempered, messy, feathery little goit.
My mother had three of those pests. She couldn't take them to the nursing home. If only we'd known to just remove the batteries.

Boffins create drone that flies exactly like a bird to blend in on spying missions

The wing-flapping robot mimics the natural flight of its feathered counterparts.

capabilities-uav-t-distinguished-normal-848108830.jpg

Silent Flyer UAV went on display during the DroneX expo at East London’s ExCel centre.

It is designed by Icelandic company Flygildi, which said it could be for military or private use.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/tech/24332145/drone-flies-like-bird-blend-spying-missions-tech-boffins/

maximus otter

For the love of god put some clothes on it :p
I want to know what are all these feathered being that come to eat my seeds, fruit and fat balls then, is the hedgehog real that eats the food i put out for him and the squirrel, whom i havent worked out his schedule exactly as yet?

For the love of god put some clothes on it :p
I want to know what are all these feathered being that come to eat my seeds, fruit and fat balls then, is the hedgehog real that eats the food i put out for him and the squirrel, whom i havent worked out his schedule exactly as yet?
Sorry to tell you - they're all robots.

Back