• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Bizarre Night In Mississippi

henry

still speeding
this was a weird collection of events, compressed into a raw couple of hours

towards end august 2019 fortean sidekick and i were staying in greenwood MS ( now basically my second home), we had driven down to madison to catch once upon a time in hollywood, nearest cinema ... after, we met a pal for coffee at a taco bell right by the cinema, then around 10pm or so headed back north on I55

we had not gone too far when i had one of those "not seen my phone for a while" moments ... checking pockets while driving didnt help, checked console and vehicle door pockets etc, floor as best i could ... not anywhere

sidekick calls my number (we re both on uk phones at this point) ... phone promptly answered by a foreign and also strange voice saying HELDO-O-O-O

sidekick passes her phone to me and i try to engage the other party in conversation, i think youve found my phone, where are you etc but only that same response from him

assuming i had left the phone at taco bell and someone there had it, i hung up, sped on to next junction planning to cross interstate and head back ... the junction was for a town called pickens, a bit east of the 55

so we approached the pickens off-ramp quite fast, its dark, suddenly the lights of the highway were gone and there were only my lights ... i slowed down and leaned forward as we hit the ramp up to the road over the highway ... nevertheless i could see clear to the top with only my lights once i was on the incline

still hunched forward and in high stress mode i watched as what looked like a couple of big black dogs suddenly appeared immediately in front of our vehicle, a pickup truck, i only had time to start to turn the wheel before we hit, it felt like the drivers side wheel had gone over an animal and that the other animal had been hit but had got out the way to the passenger side as the truck had veered left ...

we slowed to stop at the top of the ramp, sidekick was in tears, i was shaken, we could hear one animal moving around and wailing behind us

the dogs had seemed big to me, very sleek black fur, and seemed stationary when we hit, no idea how they hadnt been visible sooner

didnt quite feel up to approaching the animal right off the bat so decided to try call my mobile again, phone had all our travel info on, skype etc and wouldve been a nightmare to lose it ... again the HELDO-O-O routine even after i spoke at length describing why i needed the phone, just hit an animal etc etc

sidekick still very upset (mainly upset with me) we decided to go south one junction and come off at the same ramp again and look for the animal from within the vehicle, rather than walking around now, or reversing back

so we drove across and onto the southbound ramp and drove 5 or 6 miles south to the nearest junction ... while driving i asked sidekick what she thought we had hit, she said 2 dogs eating something in the road, i asked if she had seen them from any distance before we hit, she said they just seemed to appear and that she hardly had chance to see them but that she kind of also saw them really clearly at last moment

okay so we came off one junction south and crossed to take the northbound ramp back towards pickens again ... as we were turning onto northbound on-ramp a big sleek black dog, identical to what we thought we had just hit, came padding up the ramp towards us ... it didnt slow or stop but passed right by us looking right at us !

both of us were of the opinion this was the same kind of animal, if not one of the actual animals

approaching the off ramp for pickens for the second time we came in slow ... crawled up the incline, stopped, nothing, spent 10 minutes there, no carcasses or blood stains, no obvious signs and no howling

at this stage i just needed my phone back so yet again we crossed the interstate and took 55 south back to madison, emailed my pal en route who thought we mightve left phone on the table at the bell and that it would now be gone ... i mightve tried to call my number again, not sure

on arriving at the bell i asked the staff but no one had seen my phone ... there were 5 or 6 guys in the back kitchen, kind of interested in what was happening ... so with a clear view of them i got sidekick to call my number ... and heard my phone ringing, first quite distant then getting louder and louder ... it was in my front left pants pocket !

got fuel before heading back, thought to check front of truck, not a sign, no damage, no fur ... asked friendly policeman for advice who said all we could do was report it to pickens police, he thought i wanted some insurance note, when in fact at this stage i was trying to placate sidekick and also see if the night could get any weirder

so we drove back north, took the same off-ramp and went into the town of pickens, which wasnt much more than the police station ... made a report and the cop said he would take a look later out that way, but stray animals get hit all the time ... i asked if the big glossy black dog sounded familiar, he said theres all kinds out there (great horror movie dialog) and said "next time you take the interstate ramp, look off to the side"

mustve been midnight when we rolled down the pickens on-ramp north towards greenwood ... i took it really slowly and as we got to the bottom of the ramp, i watched as the lights from the interstate traffic lit up dozens and dozens of pairs of eyes in the undergrowth and bushes ...

towards end august 2019 fortean sidekick and i were staying in greenwood MS ( now basically my second home), we had driven down to madison to catch once upon a time in hollywood, nearest cinema ... after, we met a pal for coffee at a taco bell right by the cinema, then around 10pm or so headed back north on I55

we had not gone too far when i had one of those "not seen my phone for a while" moments ... checking pockets while driving didnt help, checked console and vehicle door pockets etc, floor as best i could ... not anywhere

sidekick calls my number (we re both on uk phones at this point) ... phone promptly answered by a foreign and also strange voice saying HELDO-O-O-O

sidekick passes her phone to me and i try to engage the other party in conversation, i think youve found my phone, where are you etc but only that same response from him

assuming i had left the phone at taco bell and someone there had it, i hung up, sped on to next junction planning to cross interstate and head back ... the junction was for a town called pickens, a bit east of the 55

so we approached the pickens off-ramp quite fast, its dark, suddenly the lights of the highway were gone and there were only my lights ... i slowed down and leaned forward as we hit the ramp up to the road over the highway ... nevertheless i could see clear to the top with only my lights once i was on the incline

still hunched forward and in high stress mode i watched as what looked like a couple of big black dogs suddenly appeared immediately in front of our vehicle, a pickup truck, i only had time to start to turn the wheel before we hit, it felt like the drivers side wheel had gone over an animal and that the other animal had been hit but had got out the way to the passenger side as the truck had veered left ...

we slowed to stop at the top of the ramp, sidekick was in tears, i was shaken, we could hear one animal moving around and wailing behind us

the dogs had seemed big to me, very sleek black fur, and seemed stationary when we hit, no idea how they hadnt been visible sooner

didnt quite feel up to approaching the animal right off the bat so decided to try call my mobile again, phone had all our travel info on, skype etc and wouldve been a nightmare to lose it ... again the HELDO-O-O routine even after i spoke at length describing why i needed the phone, just hit an animal etc etc

sidekick still very upset (mainly upset with me) we decided to go south one junction and come off at the same ramp again and look for the animal from within the vehicle, rather than walking around now, or reversing back

so we drove across and onto the southbound ramp and drove 5 or 6 miles south to the nearest junction ... while driving i asked sidekick what she thought we had hit, she said 2 dogs eating something in the road, i asked if she had seen them from any distance before we hit, she said they just seemed to appear and that she hardly had chance to see them but that she kind of also saw them really clearly at last moment

okay so we came off one junction south and crossed to take the northbound ramp back towards pickens again ... as we were turning onto northbound on-ramp a big sleek black dog, identical to what we thought we had just hit, came padding up the ramp towards us ... it didnt slow or stop but passed right by us looking right at us !

both of us were of the opinion this was the same kind of animal, if not one of the actual animals

approaching the off ramp for pickens for the second time we came in slow ... crawled up the incline, stopped, nothing, spent 10 minutes there, no carcasses or blood stains, no obvious signs and no howling

at this stage i just needed my phone back so yet again we crossed the interstate and took 55 south back to madison, emailed my pal en route who thought we mightve left phone on the table at the bell and that it would now be gone ... i mightve tried to call my number again, not sure

on arriving at the bell i asked the staff but no one had seen my phone ... there were 5 or 6 guys in the back kitchen, kind of interested in what was happening ... so with a clear view of them i got sidekick to call my number ... and heard my phone ringing, first quite distant then getting louder and louder ... it was in my front left pants pocket !

got fuel before heading back, thought to check front of truck, not a sign, no damage, no fur ... asked friendly policeman for advice who said all we could do was report it to pickens police, he thought i wanted some insurance note, when in fact at this stage i was trying to placate sidekick and also see if the night could get any weirder

so we drove back north, took the same off-ramp and went into the town of pickens, which wasnt much more than the police station ... made a report and the cop said he would take a look later out that way, but stray animals get hit all the time ... i asked if the big glossy black dog sounded familiar, he said theres all kinds out there (great horror movie dialog) and said "next time you take the interstate ramp, look off to the side"

mustve been midnight when we rolled down the pickens on-ramp north towards greenwood ... i took it really slowly and as we got to the bottom of the ramp, i watched as the lights from the interstate traffic lit up dozens and dozens of pairs of eyes in the undergrowth and bushes ...

It is very obvious to me what happened to you.

You briefly entered a Stephen King novel.

Weird sequence of events that's for sure. You may have hit the 2 dogs who were eating something in the road and they were subsequently dragged off by others to be eaten in their turn.

The phone business is odd.

I presume when fortean sidekick called your phone it was on speed dial? They didn't punch in the number?

And am I right in thinking that, when talking to whoever answered the call, they kept repeating "Heldo-o-o-o" and nothing else?

yeah ive been meaning to write this up since it happened, but my internets been down hence no access, gloriously weird night although neither of us liked the idea of wounding a dog ... yrah we could dial each other on our phones saved numbers ... guy who answered the phone seemed to be able to hear me as he waited for me to finish before his HELDO-O routine kicked in, so we were turn-taking, but series of same responses and never once said anything different

Weird sequence of events that's for sure. You may have hit the 2 dogs who were eating something in the road and they were subsequently dragged off by others to be eaten in their turn.
A veritable roadkill/dog/cannibal feeding frenzy.

Great account of a weird set of events!

This sparked off something in my memory. About 20 years ago I kept losing a particular mobile phone, though I would usually find it had slipped out of my pocket and I would find it if I retraced my steps. The odd thing was that it was quite large and pretty well wedged in my trouser pocket, so it was always a bit of a mystery as to how it kept slipping out unnoticed. So, as you do, I began to pat my pocket at regular and frequent intervals to reassure myself it was still there.

One day I had just got off a bus and patted my pocket just to check my phone was still there, and it had gone missing. I emptied my other pockets quickly just in case but no joy. I turned around and the bus had just pulled off so I resigned myself to going down to the depot to report the loss, as it had slipped out on the bus before and this seemed the likeliest explanation.

The bus depot staff made a note about time and bus and I headed off into the city to do whatever I had gone there to do. Out of reflex habit I continued to pat my pocket several times over about an hour and a half each time remembering that the phone was missing. I also bought a coffee using my wallet which was habitually in the other pocket. When I got back to the bus depot no one had handed in the phone, and the driver of the bus I had travelled on had not found it either so I decided to call my own number from a payphone.

After dialling my own number I got a very strange answer, just a load of clicks and whistles and other such noises. I gave it up as a bad job and continued with my day. On the way to the bus to go home I decided I had better call the number again as if someone had the phone I would be better placed to travel to wherever they were while still in the city centre. So I returned to a payphone and phoned my own number again and astonishingly the phone rang in my own pocket, the same pocket I had checked deliberately several times and several more times by habitual reflex over the day.

I hadn't thought about that event for years, but it always puzzled me. Unlike the events that you experienced, there was no other strange events that happened to me that day but it is similar in the fact you phoned your own phone and got a nonsensical answer.

A few weeks after that event I lost the phone again inside my own home, and I never did find it again even though some years later at one point I almost completely emptied the house and I still didn't come across the missing phone. I hope your phone doesn't decide to go back to whatever bizarre realm these things apport to and from.

yeah ive been meaning to write this up since it happened, but my internets been down hence no access, gloriously weird night although neither of us liked the idea of wounding a dog ... yrah we could dial each other on our phones saved numbers ... guy who answered the phone seemed to be able to hear me as he waited for me to finish before his HELDO-O routine kicked in, so we were turn-taking, but series of same responses and never once said anything different
The HELDO-O routine may have been your belly answering the phone. My tummy rumbles loudly a lot too.

A few weeks after that event I lost the phone again inside my own home, and I never did find it again even though some years later at one point I almost completely emptied the house and I still didn't come across the missing phone. I hope your phone doesn't decide to go back to whatever bizarre realm these things apport to and from.

Amazing story, it must have felt so surreal to pull the missing phone out of your pocket. I'm thinking at the end your helpers/fairies/friendly ghouls etc must have gotten sick of you losing your phone and said 'nope, we've had enough of this and we're not helping you this time!' :D

The HELDO-O routine may have been your belly answering the phone. My tummy rumbles loudly a lot too.

Hi Winnie. :p

Great account of a weird set of events!

This sparked off something in my memory. About 20 years ago I kept losing a particular mobile phone, though I would usually find it had slipped out of my pocket and I would find it if I retraced my steps. The odd thing was that it was quite large and pretty well wedged in my trouser pocket, so it was always a bit of a mystery as to how it kept slipping out unnoticed. So, as you do, I began to pat my pocket at regular and frequent intervals to reassure myself it was still there.

One day I had just got off a bus and patted my pocket just to check my phone was still there, and it had gone missing. I emptied my other pockets quickly just in case but no joy. I turned around and the bus had just pulled off so I resigned myself to going down to the depot to report the loss, as it had slipped out on the bus before and this seemed the likeliest explanation.

The bus depot staff made a note about time and bus and I headed off into the city to do whatever I had gone there to do. Out of reflex habit I continued to pat my pocket several times over about an hour and a half each time remembering that the phone was missing. I also bought a coffee using my wallet which was habitually in the other pocket. When I got back to the bus depot no one had handed in the phone, and the driver of the bus I had travelled on had not found it either so I decided to call my own number from a payphone.

After dialling my own number I got a very strange answer, just a load of clicks and whistles and other such noises. I gave it up as a bad job and continued with my day. On the way to the bus to go home I decided I had better call the number again as if someone had the phone I would be better placed to travel to wherever they were while still in the city centre. So I returned to a payphone and phoned my own number again and astonishingly the phone rang in my own pocket, the same pocket I had checked deliberately several times and several more times by habitual reflex over the day.

I hadn't thought about that event for years, but it always puzzled me. Unlike the events that you experienced, there was no other strange events that happened to me that day but it is similar in the fact you phoned your own phone and got a nonsensical answer.

I have a magician who used to do that to me ☺

Der der ding ding der der ding ding I haven't seen Twilight Zone in a long time. The creepiest one for me was when some scientist got binary numbers sent to him. It was an alien. He wrote the binary on the wall and it made the shape of this proper creepy alien.. Supposedly it came in peace.

I was chatting to a friend for half an hour the other night, whilst feverishly searching every room and down the side of the sofa for my phone. She knew what I was doing and she never once pointed out that I was actually speaking to her on the phone in question.

Tch. Calls herself a friend, I dunno...

I was chatting to a friend for half an hour the other night, whilst feverishly searching every room and down the side of the sofa for my phone. She knew what I was doing and she never once pointed out that I was actually speaking to her on the phone in question.

I've done that too. i also do it looking for my glasses and no one tells me they on my face

Re Henry's story. I hit a dog once many years ago in a village in Essex. Winter's early evening, quite dark. It ran in front of me and no chance to even brake. I stopped and thought I'd killed the dog. I'd hit it so hard the front of my car was dented. it was by the side of the road unmoving, not apparently breathing. No visible damage though.

As with you, my partner was very upset and I left her with the body of the dog and went to find a policeman. (This was so long ago we still had village policemen) By the time I returned with the cop the dog had got up, shook itself and run off! The cop was disappointed we hadn't killed it because it was a stray that had been killing livestock. It didn't have a collar, certainly.

Just saying you can hit a dog really hard and they will survive.

Re Henry's story. I hit a dog once many years ago in a village in Essex. Winter's early evening, quite dark. It ran in front of me and no chance to even brake. I stopped and thought I'd killed the dog. I'd hit it so hard the front of my car was dented. it was by the side of the road unmoving, not apparently breathing. No visible damage though.

As with you, my partner was very upset and I left her with the body of the dog and went to find a policeman. (This was so long ago we still had village policemen) By the time I returned with the cop the dog had got up, shook itself and run off! The cop was disappointed we hadn't killed it because it was a stray that had been killing livestock. It didn't have a collar, certainly.

Just saying you can hit a dog really hard and they will survive.
I saw a puppy get totally run over a few years back. Owners fault because he took it to the park with no lead and it ran off , I tried to grab it as it went passed me it ran into the road. But it survived as the car was a modern one and the front just collapsed off on impact. But then the dog still went under. Driver carried on .

I've done that too. i also do it looking for my glasses and no one tells me they on my face

Yes happens to me too! Getting frantic not finding them other person laughing really annoying me.. 'They are on your head', Pats top of head, no not there, other person laughing all the more ........

Sollywos x

Damn it -- must be a Fortean thing, because exactly the same thing happened to me -- got back from work and my wife (working away) called to complain that she had tried to phone me on my mobile and I hadn't answered. I thought I'd forgotten to transfer it from my overcoat to my shirt pocket, so I quickly went downstairs (I was in a first floor maisonette) and checked my coat pockets -- no phone. "It must have fallen out of my pocket on the bus!" I moaned. She waited a little before asking, "Then how are you talking to me now?"

However, a few years later I really did lose something on the bus home. I had a bad cold and was trying to discreetly push an inhaler stick up my nose without anyone noticing, and must have failed to put it securely back in my pocket. But the next morning it was back, sitting, on its end, on my bedside table -- for which I gave many thanks!

Back