• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.
It's a girls drink isn't it? They'd look at you askance if you asked for one in the bikers club. What do you do with the stuff - drink it neat? I don't imagine it mixes well with much apart from other spirits..

It goes nicely in coffee.

It goes nicely in coffee.
I make an ersatz version every Christmas for Mrs Coal: probably posted this before but:

300ml cheapest 'own brand' whisky
180ml Double cream
120ml Condensed milk
1 heaped teaspoon instant coffee granules (I use the 'ground coffee' type of instant)
1 teaspoon vanilla essence.

Put in 'used' whiskey bottle, shake well until coffee dissolves. Keep in fridge...drink at will.

Approximate cost per bottle is < £5. It's a little less sweet than baileys but about the same
alcohol per volume, which is to say 20% but that's a lot stronger than you might think from
drinking it...

It's a girls drink isn't it? They'd look at you askance if you asked for one in the bikers club. What do you do with the stuff - drink it neat? I don't imagine it mixes well with much apart from other spirits..

You wouldn't want to drink a pint of the stuff, that's for sure...unless you needed about a million calories and a lie down.

Interestingly, I discovered the other day that Advocaat (a similar drink if more eggy than creamy) is, in its native Netherlands, traditionally enjoyed only by women - they still have get-togethers where they sup the yellow stuff and sing traditional songs. No men allowed.

advocat.... when i was a kid about 6/7yr old (mid 70's) my mum used to drop me and my sister off at a womans house nearby , who would then walk us to school with her own two kids, if the weather was particularly bad she would give us all a small shot of advocat to keep us warm on our walk to school...... (100% true story)... i mean now its like WTF??
A funny story now...going back about 10-12yrs ago, my mum got a phone call off my aunt panicking that my nana had had a 'stroke' or something as she couldn't stand up or speak properly, so as you do i ran my mum up to my nana's - about 8 miles away(my mum can't drive) when we got there we quickly figured that the silly old sod hadn't had a stroke... she was pissed as a fart! she'd been given a bottle of baileys for christmas or whatever and decided to have a "drop".... well one drop led to another.... then another... then another... etc etc lol

fine vintage.

Scientists say 8,000-year-old pottery fragments have revealed the earliest evidence of grape wine-making.

The earthenware jars containing residual wine compounds were found in two sites south of the Georgian capital, Tbilisi, researchers said.

Some of the jars bore images of grape clusters and a man dancing.

Previously, the earliest evidence of wine-making was from pottery dating from about 7,000 years ago found in north-western Iran.

The latest finds were published in the journal Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences (PNAS). ...

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-41977709

New Year's revellers build sandcastle in coromandel estuary to avoid liquor ban ..

piss head.jpg

https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/10...tle-in-coromandel-estuary-to-avoid-liquor-ban

A drunk fishing contest .. NSFW due to someone spewing

fine vintage.

Scientists say 8,000-year-old pottery fragments have revealed the earliest evidence of grape wine-making.

The earthenware jars containing residual wine compounds were found in two sites south of the Georgian capital, Tbilisi, researchers said.

Some of the jars bore images of grape clusters and a man dancing.

Previously, the earliest evidence of wine-making was from pottery dating from about 7,000 years ago found in north-western Iran.

The latest finds were published in the journal Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences (PNAS). ...

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-41977709
Georgian wine is still great, I guess they have some practice.

That's why fishing is the 'sport' with the highest fatality rate. Anglers sit on the bank with a drink or seven and topple in headfirst.

Out here, we call that berleying.

I still haven't figured out if that is because one does it when one is fishing...or that's the sound one makes.

advocat.... when i was a kid about 6/7yr old (mid 70's) my mum used to drop me and my sister off at a womans house nearby , who would then walk us to school with her own two kids, if the weather was particularly bad she would give us all a small shot of advocat to keep us warm on our walk to school...... (100% true story)... i mean now its like WTF??
A funny story now...going back about 10-12yrs ago, my mum got a phone call off my aunt panicking that my nana had had a 'stroke' or something as she couldn't stand up or speak properly, so as you do i ran my mum up to my nana's - about 8 miles away(my mum can't drive) when we got there we quickly figured that the silly old sod hadn't had a stroke... she was pissed as a fart! she'd been given a bottle of baileys for christmas or whatever and decided to have a "drop".... well one drop led to another.... then another... then another... etc etc lol

My lifelong love affair with alcohol was no doubt started by my Gran, who felt that as a weedy child I needed building up - the process involved a small glass (about a shot glass, mebbe slightly bigger) of Mackeson with my tea. It worked.

Drunk tourist accidentally climbs mountain
while trying to get back to his hotel

IT’S one thing to forget which street your hotel is on after a night of drinking, but it’s another thing to get so lost that you accidentally climb the Italian Alps.

A DRUNK tourist had a very rough night after he got lost on his way back to his hotel and found himself climbing the Italian Alps.

An Estonian tourist known as Pavel, has been enjoying a few drinks at Cervinia, a resort in Italy’s Valle d’Aosta, when he decided to call it a night and head back to his hotel.

However, it seemed that Pavel, 30, may have had a bit more to drink than he thought as his short walk back to his room soon turned into a mountain hike.

According to Italian newspaper La Stampa, Pavel seemed not to notice that he had taken a wrong turn and was heading up the mountain side until it was too late.

By the time 2am rolled around and Pavel was still climbing, he realised that he has made a grave mistake, but through sheer luck he stumbled across a closed restaurant and bar.

The bar, named Igloo, was nestled on the mountainside at an altitude of 2400m and, seeing it as his only refuge, the tipsy tourist forced his way in and bunkered down for the night.

Staff discovered Pavel in the morning, passed out on a makeshift bed made out of a bench and a few cushions.

Being the responsible guy that he is, Pavel made sure he drank two bottles of water to help with his hangover the next morning, which were sitting beside him when he was found.

A search party made up of the fire brigade, police and drones had been dispatched to locate the lost tourist before he was found safe and sound in the bar.

Local police have said that he will be fined for his drunken escapade but will not be charged.

Source:
http://www.news.com.au/travel/trave...l/news-story/f75ff585e07e093c8c884ea73b27be47

What will we do with the drunken sailor?

The Pacific nation of Samoa has seen off dozens of sailors as they take up new jobs abroad with a stern warning from the country's leaders - lay off the booze.

The advice came from acting Minister of Works Papalii Niko Lee Hang during a farewell ceremony for 59 Samoans heading off for employment on foreign cruise liners, cargo ships and fishing vessels, Radio New Zealand reports.

Papalii said that if any of the group "misbehaved", they would be deported back home and no longer considered for service on foreign ships.

"You have to remember your parents and your village before any wrongdoing. Do not forget your families," the Samoa Observer reported him as saying.

At a similar ceremony last week, Prime Minister Tuila'epa Sa'ilele Malielegaoi told 70 sailors to "save money for their families and not spend it on alcohol and other entertainment".

http://www.bbc.com/news/blogs-news-from-elsewhere-43807741

It's those sanctimonious teetotallers who are the skivers.

People who don’t drink alcohol are far more likely to take time off work for sick leave than people who drink in moderation, according to a new study.

Researchers led by a team at the Finnish Institute of Occupational Health analysed absence records and survey results from more than 47,000 people in Britain, France and Finland. The study found that moderate drinkers tend to be healthier than people at the extreme ends of the alcohol consumption scale - teetotallers and alcoholics. ...

http://www.theweek.co.uk/94091/teet...letter&utm_medium=email&utm_source=newsletter

I assume they have taken into consideration those who can't drink due to their health?

Great news for all of you who've been waiting for beaver-flavored bourbon!! :cheer::fhtagn::ddance::dbana::dpoo::thrash:

No, no ... This kind of beaver -----> :beav:

Distillery has new bourbon flavored by beaver secretion
... Beaver-flavored whiskey, anyone?

A New Hampshire distillery has a new bourbon, Eau De Musc, flavored partly by the secretion from a beaver’s castor sacs.

Tamworth Distilling says the secretion, called castoreum, has a history of being used as a flavoring and is on a small list of FDA ingredients called “generally recognized as safe.”

The distillery says on its website castoreum “exhibits bright and fruit qualities (raspberry) and rich leathery notes along with creamy vanilla aroma,” common among barrel-aged spirits.

Other ingredients are raspberry, Canadian snakeroot, fir needles, birch bark (tar oil and regular oil) and maple syrup.

SOURCE: https://apnews.com/4cfea53713eb4205...-has-new-bourbon-flavored-by-beaver-secretion

This is brilliant.

A stolen bottle of vodka thought to be the world's most expensive at $1.3m (£960,000) has been found empty on a construction site, Danish police say.

The bottle, made from gold and silver and with a diamond encrusted cap, was on loan to a Copenhagen bar which had a collection of vodkas on display.

CCTV released on Wednesday showed an intruder, who grabbed the Russo-Baltique vodka and fled the bar.

The bottle was found unbroken on a construction site in the city.

"I don't know what happened with the vodka, but the bottle was empty", Riad Tooba, spokesman for the Copenhagen police, told AFP news agency.
Full Story:
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-42587038

This is brilliant.

A stolen bottle of vodka thought to be the world's most expensive at $1.3m (£960,000) has been found empty on a construction site, Danish police say.

The bottle, made from gold and silver and with a diamond encrusted cap, was on loan to a Copenhagen bar which had a collection of vodkas on display.

CCTV released on Wednesday showed an intruder, who grabbed the Russo-Baltique vodka and fled the bar.

The bottle was found unbroken on a construction site in the city.

"I don't know what happened with the vodka, but the bottle was empty", Riad Tooba, spokesman for the Copenhagen police, told AFP news agency.
Full Story:
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-42587038

That's a six-month old story....!

Back