• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

British Bigfoot?

Maybe Bigfoot can't swim?

Anyway, with a name like that you'd think he'd be attracted to Italy.

Hikers claim 'size 16' bare footprint in the mud is 'proof' that 7ft legendary Bigfoot is roaming the woods of Devon

Terrified walkers in Devon stumbled across the hard-to-miss prints while out over the weekend.

shocked-group-people-coasteering-stumbled-884243751.jpg

Rock Solid Coasteerin group, in Torquay, said they emerged from the woodlands and covered all of the coastal path in shocking sights they had never seen before.

The group of pals were left so "weirded out" they couldn't believe their eyes and snapped some pictures.

While the footprint wasn't measured, one man said it was half the size again of a size 11 and said it was "clearly a bare foot.”

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/26330024/size-sixteen-bare-footprint-mud-roaming-woods/

Got that? Rock Solid Coasteerin group, in Torquay!

:rolleyes:

maximus otter

Hikers claim 'size 16' bare footprint in the mud is 'proof' that 7ft legendary Bigfoot is roaming the woods of Devon

Terrified walkers in Devon stumbled across the hard-to-miss prints while out over the weekend.

shocked-group-people-coasteering-stumbled-884243751.jpg

Rock Solid Coasteerin group, in Torquay, said they emerged from the woodlands and covered all of the coastal path in shocking sights they had never seen before.

The group of pals were left so "weirded out" they couldn't believe their eyes and snapped some pictures.

While the footprint wasn't measured, one man said it was half the size again of a size 11 and said it was "clearly a bare foot.”

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/26330024/size-sixteen-bare-footprint-mud-roaming-woods/

Got that? Rock Solid Coasteerin group, in Torquay!

:rolleyes:

maximus otter
I came here to post that - and to comment that there is absolutely nothing to show the scale!

The grass to the left doesn't suggest it's massive. Maybe if one of them had put their foot next to it, or placed a shoe, or a map - or pretty much anything - we'd have an idea!

Are these people idiots?!

Last edited:
I posted this on the Fortean Headlines thread this morning. What strikes me is the imprint is convex rather than sunken and there seems to be only one. You’d expect another corresponding foot unless it just hopped once. It’s ALMOST as if someone made a cast, didn’t see the job through and sunk their effort in the mud for some sort of media attention. But hey. I’m no expert.

I posted this on the Fortean Headlines thread this morning. What strikes me is the imprint is convex rather than sunken and there seems to be only one. You’d expect another corresponding foot unless it just hopped once. It’s ALMOST as if someone made a cast, didn’t see the job through and sunk their effort in the mud for some sort of media attention. But hey. I’m no expert.
It's the vacuum-footed sasquatch of Old Torquay Town

Ironically, they seem unaware of events back in 2006 just down the road at Churston:

"Less feasible is that a similar beast is to be found in Churston Woods. Yet, in 2006 sightings of a woodland animal lasted for around six weeks. Fifteen witnesses eventually came forward to describe an ape-like creature, around five foot tall, with brown hair covering its’ body and with a green face. These observers further stated that the hominid didn’t have a tail. On two occasions the being was seen swinging from tree branches “with tremendous agility”."

https://wearesouthdevon.com/go-woods-today-beware-churston-sasquatch/

"The sightings of the creature lasted for around six weeks. Up to fifteen witnesses came forward with their sightings. The Creature was described as being around five feet tall, had brown hair covering its’ body and was described as having a green face. The witnesses stated that the hominid didn’t have a tail. The height of around five feet rules out that this was an escaped pet monkey. On two occasions the being was seen swinging from tree branches."

https://ukwildman.blogspot.com/2017/12/the-bigfoots-of-churston-woods-and.html

"Overall, around 15 witnesses came forward over a six-week period, but nobody was ever able to definitively explain what the creature was or why it disappeared as quickly as it had appeared.

Given that some of the reports had described seeing the animal swinging from tree branches, however, it seems that perhaps the most likely explanation was that it was some sort of monkey that had escaped from a zoo or private collector.

Ultimately, though, we will probably never know for sure."

https://www.unexplained-mysteries.c...the-strange-case-of-the-1996-churston-bigfoot

These sightings were investigated by Jon Downes of the Devon-based CFZ ( https://cfz.org.uk), Nick Redfern (in his book "Wildman!") and others and there was actual substance to these sightings.

Full story from the CFZ here:

"Regular views of this show will know that we are particularly interested in stories of Bigfoot, like creatures being reported from part of the United Kingdom. Indeed, Jon and other witnesses saw something of the kind at Bolam lake in Northumberland 21 years ago. These things obviously cannot be described in purely zoological terms. The idea of there being flesh and blood giant higher primates living undiscovered in parts of England’s green and Pleasant land, is purely ridiculous. However, these things are reported, and on occasion they even leave behind physical evidence of their existence. So, what are they?"

Surrey Nimby's wouldn't allow a Bigfoot to take up residence. Letters to their MP/Local newspaper etc.

Has teen-age cryptozoologist obtained eDNA evidence of a British Bigfoot at large in Somerset?

"Meet Daniel Barnett: A 14-year-old who is quickly becoming one of the most famous Bigfoot hunters in the UK (Dailystar, Nottingham Post, Wales Online). We found out about him after he recently reached out to SGS with a very unusual request!

The samples we received were soil samples with small parts of leaf litter collected from the prints. Our team had to push some of our extraction methods to the limits with the limited volume of the samples. However, we did manage to get enough DNA and some solid species detections. We detected Eastern Gray Squirrels and Common Pheasant and also various large mammals like Roe Deer, Wild Boar, European Badger and Homo Sapiens (Humans) that could have left the tracks.

But we also classified some DNA sequences to the family Hominidae, the taxonomic group to which Humans belong and Cercopithecidae, the family of Old World Apes. Those last two classifications obviously trigger some speculation…

However, Vanessa Luis (Chief Molecular Scientist at the GBC) explains, "It is not actually possible to identify Bigfoot via E-DNA without a previous reference in the genetic databases. For that, one needs to have a tissue sample to extract DNA from to then barcode. Unfortunately, no confirmed DNA sequence of Bigfoot exists in the barcode reference databases we use at SGS."

https://www.sgs.com/en/news/2023/10/sgs-supports-young-daniel-barnett-in-bigfoot-investigation

An interview with Daniel:

"Regular viewers of this scintillating series will remember that a few weeks ago we had a young man called Daniel Barnett on the show. He has started up a Fortean Zoological Research Group in North Somerset. As well as this, he recently ran a very interesting and successful Open Day near his home in Burnham-on-Sea.He has some very interesting findings, which at least on the face of it, may overturn everything that we (CFZ) believe about the nature of “British BigFoot”. In this exclusive interview he tells us more about what they have discovered so far."

Also:

https://podcasts.apple.com/gb/podca...overed-in-the-uk/id1552990311?i=1000635140849

So we have to wait until Bigfoot researches its family tree?
I get the feeling they might be humouring him for the publicity, as aren't humans descended from old world great apes and so would share DNA? Or am I completely off track here? Well this is what science says:

"Old World monkeys and apes are the closest living relatives to humans, thus sharing a closer evolutionary history with humans than other mammals, and more similar genetic, biochemical, and phenotypic outcome"

https://www.sciencedirect.com/topics/biochemistry-genetics-and-molecular-biology/cercopithecidae

Imagine the money to be made from flogging eDNA kits to all those Bigfoot hunters across the pond...

Last edited:
I grew up in Sussex with the South Downs on my horizon and they are rolling uplands grazed by sheep, so quite what the fishermen were doing there is beyond me...?

Plus, from the comments:

"I am the original investigator and the witness Mike contacted me in a private group to share his experience. At no time did he mention a creature of any kind, at any point. The reporter for the Daily Star lied and falsified this account."

Back