• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.
The Potoo is a master of disguise.
During the day it perches on tree stumps, where it's hard to see where the bird ends and the stump begins.

View attachment 29531

It has to keep its eyes shut though, because when it opens them, it looks like this:

View attachment 29532
Another master of disguise from the bird world
camo.jpg

Just spotted this image and thought it well illustrated the lion's issue. In the foreground, there are some easy kills, but as you go farther back it becomes visual chaos. And these zebra aren't even moving--let alone running.

EGnd3TqXYAMAmyU.jpeg

Well, dammit. There is/was a fascinating contemporary magazine article on Dazzle camouflage on archive.org but I can't find it now. I've tried permutations of words including Wilkinson, Dazzle, ships, camouflage but the exact article is nowhere to be found! It was a great article with lots of pictures too and the rationale behind the shapes and colours used...

Over to you!

I have had great success in that game.

I have to admit that - in the moment it took for the image to load, and when all I had to work on was Yith's text - I did wonder if it was an invitation to play some sort of public school game.

A quick game of find the snake?...

It's much smaller than I thought.

No - stop sniggering. Really, I found the snake - eventually - and it was smaller than I initially thought it might be.

You're STILL sniggering. Stop it right now.

Well I can't find it. If you're that camouflaged you can hardly complain if you get stepped on. I hope it's not deadly or I'm a goner.

Is it top right? aargh!

I’ll just say that gosh yes it is smaller than expected and pretend that I found it.

It's pretty much slap-bang in the centre.
Aha! I see it now! so sweet. I do like snakes. That is just the right colour for the leaves. And the triangles match well with the tips of the leaves. Very crafty.

It's pretty much slap-bang in the centre.

(And, I protest, not so small!)

Once you see it, you notice it immediately at every subsequent look.
I can see it now, I’m viewing on a tablet, will try on a bigger monitor later.

...(And, I protest, not so small!)...

Smaller than I expected, rather than actually small; I'd made a mental punt at the scale, which turned out to be about 50% wrong.

(Initially, on a small screen, my eye kept getting drawn to the accidentally serpentine pattern of still green leaves in the upper right quadrant of the image. Clearly not a snake - but, like a wrongly remembered telephone number, it kept leading me away from the real thing. Then I reasoned that, unless the image was cropped from a larger one - and the snake, rather than a random pile of leaves, the subject - then said snake was likely somewhere pretty central.)

Took me a long while to find it! Masterful camouflage.

Dazzle camouflage isn't as impressive as it used to be!
HMS Tyne at anchor off Hythe today.

Attachments

• tyne1.jpg
    tyne1.jpg
    350.2 KB · Views: 20
Newly reported research demonstrates that (at least some ... ) people can be trained to reliably recognize when there's a camouflaged object in a scene and identify what it is
Some People Can See Through Camouflage, And It's Not as Hard as You Think

Camouflage techniques can usually be relied upon to conceal humans and animals alike, but expertly trained individuals can see through these visual tricks – and scientists have now learned more about how this works.

Not only are trained camouflage breakers able to detect that something is hidden in a scene, they're able to correctly assess what that something is, even if they haven't been told what they're looking for. ...

"Here, we show that when subjects break camouflage, they can also localize the camouflaged target accurately, even though they had received no specific training in localizing the target," researchers explain in a new study.

The study explores a training method developed in 2012 that uses deep learning techniques to train people with normal sight to see through camouflage. Individuals can be trained in this way in as little as two weeks, the researchers report, with just an hour a day spent analyzing scenes. ...
FULL STORY: https://www.sciencealert.com/people...amouflage-and-it-works-better-than-we-thought

Here are the bibliographic details and abstract for the published article. The full article is accessible at the link below.

Branch, F., Lewis, A.J., Santana, I.N. et al.
Expert camouflage-breakers can accurately localize search targets.
Cogn. Research 6, 27 (2021).
https://doi.org/10.1186/s41235-021-00290-5

Abstract
Camouflage-breaking is a special case of visual search where an object of interest, or target, can be hard to distinguish from the background even when in plain view. We have previously shown that naive, non-professional subjects can be trained using a deep learning paradigm to accurately perform a camouflage-breaking task in which they report whether or not a given camouflage scene contains a target. But it remains unclear whether such expert subjects can actually detect the target in this task, or just vaguely sense that the two classes of images are somehow different, without being able to find the target per se. Here, we show that when subjects break camouflage, they can also localize the camouflaged target accurately, even though they had received no specific training in localizing the target. The localization was significantly accurate when the subjects viewed the scene as briefly as 50 ms, but more so when the subjects were able to freely view the scenes. The accuracy and precision of target localization by expert subjects in the camouflage-breaking task were statistically indistinguishable from the accuracy and precision of target localization by naive subjects during a conventional visual search where the target ‘pops out’, i.e., is readily visible to the untrained eye. Together, these results indicate that when expert camouflage-breakers detect a camouflaged target, they can also localize it accurately.

SOURCE & FULL ARTICLE: https://cognitiveresearchjournal.springeropen.com/articles/10.1186/s41235-021-00290-5

There is/was a fascinating contemporary magazine article on Dazzle camouflage

I have to confess that I misread that as being a fascinating article about camouflage in Razzle magazine.

Back