• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Spookdaddy

Cuckoo
Slightly old news, but intriguing – and, unless I’ve missed something in the mean time, I don’t think there’s been a resolution. I’ve had a quick shufty around the MB but can’t find that the following story ever made it here – which kind of surprises me. Bump me if I’m wrong.

Climbers mystified by 'bloodcurdling screaming'

...There are sounds that comfort the winter climber, like the rising tone of a piton being seated into a welcoming crack.

There's that thud an ice axe makes as it vibrates in really good, sticky ice. The clip as a karabiner snaps shut, holding the rope that will stop you if you fall.

Then there are the sounds that warn us. The whoomf of windslab on a slope that's primed to avalanche. Or the skittering of crampons on bare rock in a desperate search for ice.

And then there are the sounds you definitely don't want to hear. Sounds you wish you could forget...

...It started indistinctly, slightly muffled, but quickly came sharp into focus. It pierced through the mist - the most visceral, awful sound.

People talk about bloodcurdling screaming and for the first time I understood. That noise sent a stream of cold blood around my veins and chilled the back of my neck.

My first thought was simple but terrible: I was listening to someone who had just watched a loved one - not simply a climbing partner, but a loved one - fall to their death. There was so much pain and loss in that dreadful noise.

I froze for a moment, barely breathing, still perched on that vertical wall. I wasn't in a secure position, hanging off a few millimetres of metal hooked into the ice. At that moment I just wanted to be gone - off the climb, off the mountain.

This screaming had brought home to me the possible consequences of getting something wrong, of making a mistake. That was honestly what I'd thought I'd heard - the consequences of someone getting it very wrong and losing their life.

But there was no way to make a quick retreat - the fastest way out of this gully was up. I finished the crux and secured myself to three solid ice screws and brought my partner up.

We discussed the screams, trying to work out where they had come from, speculating on what might have happened, and agreed we needed to finish our climb as quickly as we could.

We completed the final, easier pitch, and ended up on the Ben Nevis plateau in the mist, in complete silence.

Full article here.

I was in Scotland at the time and first became aware of this the weekend after it happened - after overhearing a conversation in Tiso’s outdoor gear store in Edinburgh. I later found out that a friend was climbing up there at the time and actually heard the screams. The area was busy with ice climbers at the beginning of the year – apparently the conditions were particularly good at that time – and, if the chatter on the net is anything to go by, the sound was heard by a surprising amount of people. (It’s worth pointing out that the BBC article is first hand – the BBC producer who wrote it was actually there at the time.)

Various culprits have been put forward, some obvious, some not so: foxes, Sika deer, even Bear Grylls (yep, seriously – someone from his production team actually responded).

It’s worth checking out the whole thread on this at UKClimbing, What happened today on the Ben?!. Remarkable for the number of witnesses, the odd scary experience, and how civilised everyone is.

Myself - I’d discount all the options listed above. That amount of outdoors types are going to, between them, recognise a fox call, or the cry of a sika deer, or an eagle. I tend to think that if enough of those witnesses thought they heard a human scream, then that’s what they heard.

I don’t have much of an alternative, though. The one story that does come to mind was told me some years ago by a guy I was training with (and the subject is mentioned in passing by at least one of the UKC posters). He’d been called out to help in the search of a moorland area after screaming had been heard by several witnesses – after an extensive, expensive and fruitless search it was discovered, that night in the pub, that a bunch of New Age types on some sort of overpriced self awareness course had done a primal screaming session up in the hills.(Funny how many people who want to be at one with themselves and/or nature - seem to forget about everyone else; clearly no regard for the effect that screaming their lungs out on a lonely hillside might have on locals, walkers, tourists, the emergency services - or even the sheep.)

It’s worth checking out the whole thread on this at UKClimbing, What happened today on the Ben?!. Remarkable for the number of witnesses, the odd scary experience, and how civilised everyone is.

There's rather a lot of speculation on that thread that Bear Gryllis might be to blame. Is he known for yelling his head off whilst climbing mountains?

(Sometimes people do just yell, I guess. Whenever I see a field full of cows I experience an irritational impulse to yell at them. It's the way they just stand there looking so .... bovine. Actually I could quite happily yell at Bear Gryllis himself. I read one of his books once. It was supposed to be motivational and inspiring. It was literally the most banal book I've ever read. It was full of trite mullarkey about following your dreams and giving it 110% and so on. Ugh.)

Last edited:
There's rather a lot of speculation on that thread that Bear Gryllis might be to blame. Is he known for yelling his head off whilst climbing mountains?...

Yes. Although as I pointed out, someone from his production team responded to an email from a UKC forum member denying any involvement. I suppose they would, wouldn't they - but I have to say that even the most stupid of people in his position, or in the team around him, would have known how that one would play out.

To be honest, I never much bought that option anyway - besides the fact that Grylls-bashing is par for the course in climbing/moutaineering circles, many of the witnesses describe something which appears to them to be truly bloodcurdling; and some of them have experience of hearing climbers in extreme distress to compare the sound to. There's messing around, then there's messing around and being really good at it - then there are sounds which are incapable of imitation; I can't help feeling that the latter seems to be what at least some of the witnesses feel they are describing.

My friend - the climber I mentioned in my first post - was clearly unnerved by the sound, and he's experienced warzones via the front line. (Coincidentally, we've both also met Bare Girls through our work...I mean, Bear Grylls.)

Last edited:
Why do people think it might be Bear Grylls?

Why do people think it might be Bear Grylls?

Because he was allegedly filming in the area that day, has a rep for being a bit shouty (apparently - can say myself as I've never watched any of his stuff), and because some people don't have a lot of time for him.

(Sorry, the information about his filming is on the UKClimbing forum I linked to; there's too much info in there to quote - so I just went with the link.)

Must admit, my first thought was a "primal screaming session". I tried it from the top of this (mini) mountain on the island of Brač (Croatia) in a dramatic thunderstorm a few years ago. I'm sure I was the only person around at the time.

brac.jpg

Sorry but why the hate on Bear? Yeah he is popularist but he would have bought a fair few people to climbing? Also encouraged people to buy gear they'll never use which in turn supports the mountaineering community? Guides etc, who make a living taking tourists up and down the gentle slopes?

As a sometimes roadie cyclist I find elitism very common, (I've sneered myself), but by god nobody is as selfish as mountain climber! I know a climber's wife who is very bitter about how selfish climbers are and she knew a few who have died on various mountains around the world.

Last edited:
Sorry but why the hate on Bear? Yeah he is popularist but he would have bought a fair few people to climbing? Also encouraged people to buy gear they'll never use which in turn supports the mountaineering community? Guides etc, who make a living taking tourists up and down the gentle slopes?

As a sometimes roadie cyclist I find elitism very common, (I've sneered myself), but by god nobody is as selfish as mountain climber! I know a climber's wife who is very bitter about how selfish climbers are and she knew a few who have died on various mountains around the world.

I'm not sure myself why Bear Grylls get such a hard time, but then I haven't had a TV for years; he seemed like an okay guy when I met him - not noticably up himself. And you're right, anything that gets people moving is a good thing. Ray Mears (who I have watched on occasion) gets similar treatment from some people - I've no idea why.

I think you're right about mountaineers too - although, in my experience the arrogance you mention was always most common in the top flight (or those who thought they were), and it's probably not that unusual at this level in any sport. I think that as outdoor activities have increased in popularity and gear's got cheaper (relatively) and more accessible, the staggering arrogance I associate with the some people back in the days when I started climbing (early 80's) has been diluted somewhat - it seems a lot less cliquey than it used to be, especially in areas where the accessability of the mountains bumps up the number of people enjoying them. (And gear shops used to be infamous for surly and unhelpful staff - I always ended up wanting to punch someone - which I can't say is my experience these days.)

Last edited:
Or wookie?

Cats can make some surprisingly human screams. It might not even be biological in origin.

That was my initial thought. What if this was a kind of sonic simulacra? Wind blowing through some strange crevices/tree trunks, creating noise similar to scary screams?

That's an interesting suggestion, I did actually wonder about it myself - but it's maybe a bit problematical.

The area is very popular with walkers and climbers - and the ice climbing conditions mean that popularity is an all season one. I'm not at all suggesting that Ben Nevis and it's environs are a theme park, but footfall is very high compared to many other areas of the Highlands. That being the case, if this was an environmental noise I think it would have been heard and commented on before - and if it was associated with particular rock or land features it would surely have been heard over the centuries and even have some sort of folklore associated with it.

It's also worth noting that - given the season the conditions and the hazards associated with it, and the fact that there were a lot of ice climbers out at that time, who've really got to know what they're about - that the percentage of people up on the hill that day who could be classed as being of above average experience was probably high. If that's the case, and this was an environmental thing, I think it would have been heard before or at least known about by some of those involved or some of those who became aware of it through the news and/or internet chatter..

Actually, odd sound caused by enviromental and geographical conditions is a subject probably worthy of a thread all of its own: I've been on Rannoch Moor when the wind has been so strong its made a kind of grinding noise over the surface of the land (had to sleep in a bivvy - couldn't get the tent up); and much further south, at a rock formation called the Roaches, I've heard the wind make a very disconcerting sound like a cross between a bullroarer and a didgeridoo. I've also experienced the Singing Sands on Eigg; to be honest though, it was more like squeaking than singing but I'm not going to begrudge it that.

Last edited:
Yes, I've heard foxes screaming around where I live, at first I thought someone was being attacked, but then I realised it was nature rather than anything sinister.

Yes, I've heard foxes screaming around where I live, at first I thought someone was being attacked, but then I realised it was nature rather than anything sinister.

Ditto. Freaked me out first time I heard it.

Yeah a fox scream is scary.
Ever heard a baby owl scream ?
They scream when they feel threatened. Imagine creeping through a wood or past a cave at night and hearing one (or more) owl chicks scream like this . . .

I lived in a flat near a deep railway cutting in Edinburgh for some years. On warm nights, when the night is quiet, the window is open, one is trying to sleep and the foxes are horny, hearing something like a woman screaming coming from the railway line can be really unsettling.

I quite often check in on stories that seems to wither almost immediately after emerging - and this is one of them. That said, I completely missed this podcast from 2017 (two years after the event) and was pretty excited to stumble across it.

These are actual first hand eyewitness (earwitness?) descriptions from two people who were there. The description of the screams is pretty powerful - especially as they come from two individuals who are likely to have heard the odd stressful exclamation in their time, and will be attuned to the particular environment involved. You get the impression that these were really something quite out of the usual course of events. (I suppose there's a possibility that the interviewee is not familiar with the animal sounds suggested - which he completely discounts - however, even if this were to be the case, the presenter's observation that such wildlife is basically absent from the north face of the Ben in winter is maybe far more telling.)

Awesome!

(And it reminds me - I really must get around to moving up to Scotland one of these days.)

Mountain - a podcast about adventure: #15 - The Scream.

I recall experiencing a really scary episode when I was posted on a mountain side in the Highlands planting trees for the Scottish Forestry Commission.

On this particular morning the place I was planting in was at the edge of the Forest, I had my head down planting the trees, I paused for a while, as a real Pea Souper 'white-out' had begun to surround me - like suddenly being in a void with a viewing distance of just a few feet able to be seen.

Suddenly the silence was shattered with loud violently flapping beats of wings some yards away from me at the edge of the Forest which made my hairs stand on end. Then an awful loud deathly shrieking noise ensued. This went on for a few minutes - then nothing!

I've always held the thought that the cause of the noise on that rather spooky morning shrouded in the thick mist was caused by an Eagle, or Buzzard grabbing and killing a mountain hare, because I know that a mountain hare can make a shrill shrieking sound when hurt, attacked or killed.

I am interested in those people saying 'I've heard foxes before, I know what a fox sounds like.' but foxes can sound pretty individual. You've heard one fox - you've heard one fox, as the saying goes.

Some sound like, well, like foxes screaming. Others can sound far lower in pitch and more like a human. Maybe it depends on the age of the fox?

I am interested in those people saying 'I've heard foxes before, I know what a fox sounds like.' but foxes can sound pretty individual. You've heard one fox - you've heard one fox, as the saying goes.

Some sound like, well, like foxes screaming. Others can sound far lower in pitch and more like a human. Maybe it depends on the age of the fox?
I used to regularly go locally down to a place just to watch life around a Fox Den, and they surely can make quite an array of sounds - some just like a baby crying.

I think a lot animals have a wider range of voices than people might be aware of. As I mentioned on the Chanctonbury Ring / Clapham Woods thread:

...for what it's worth, some of the most disconcerting animal sounds I've ever heard have come from sheep. People who've never lived or worked close to them might not be familiar with the fact that they do have a wide range of voices, from the high pitched bleat of a lamb to the guttural belching of a mature ewe - I've heard noises coming from sheep that sounded like Beelzebub trying to clear a bone out of his throat.

That said, I think there's usually enough of a connection to make the connection, and I find myself doubting more and more (albeit not entirely discounting) that the noise in question was from an animal - at least one of the usual suspects; not simply because of the nature of the sound, but because of the conditions at the time, and the likelihood that any animal would be foraging at that elevation in those conditions.

There appear to have been quite a few witnesses to the phenomenon - unconnected to each other, and experiencing the sound from different locations. Mistaken identity is clearly a possibility - but the more witnesses, the less likely, I think, as such a position would require that all the witnesses have precisely the same non-varying experiences of the animal sounds in question, which I find kind of unlikely in a group of people whose pastimes take them into the wild on a regular basis.

South of Newquay, Cornwall, there is a big estuary called the Gannel.

Legend tells of the Gannel Crake, which makes an unearthly sound.

There are various theories, (Including vagrant seabirds,) But I am told by a local scholar that it is a vixen, compounded by echoes in the narrow, twisty valley. She had herself heard this.

Maybe we can say `something ordinary under unusual atmospheric conditions??`

Back