• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-south-scotland-66188057

An attack by a cow that had recently given birth resulted in the death of a farmer in the south of Scotland, an inquiry has concluded.
Derek Roan, 71, had tried to move the 550kg (1,200lbs) Galloway beef cow with her calf back to the main herd.
He died of severe chest trauma after the accident at Barnbarroch Farm near Dalbeattie in June last year.

Orcas, seals, sea lions, otters, cows, nature is rising against us.

A County Down man whose ribcage was left like a "bag of crushed crisps" after being trampled by a herd of cows in the Swiss Alps has said he is lucky to be alive and wants to warn others.

Alan Couser was leading a walking tour in July 2022 when he said a cow at the back of the herd galloped at "racehorse speed" towards him, knocking him over. Within seconds the rest of the herd were on top of him, he said. Mr Couser was trampled and kicked and rolled around by the cows' noses.

Speaking to BBC News NI, he said their hooves were heavy and pointed which, according to surgeons, left his chest like a bag of "crushed crisps".

Mr Couser suffered 21 broken ribs, two damaged vertebrae, a cracked cheek bone, a leg broken in multiple places and a dislocated ankle.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-northern-ireland-66444606

Orcas, seals, sea lions, otters, cows, nature is rising against us.

A County Down man whose ribcage was left like a "bag of crushed crisps" after being trampled by a herd of cows in the Swiss Alps has said he is lucky to be alive and wants to warn others.

Alan Couser was leading a walking tour in July 2022 when he said a cow at the back of the herd galloped at "racehorse speed" towards him, knocking him over. Within seconds the rest of the herd were on top of him, he said. Mr Couser was trampled and kicked and rolled around by the cows' noses.

Speaking to BBC News NI, he said their hooves were heavy and pointed which, according to surgeons, left his chest like a bag of "crushed crisps".

Mr Couser suffered 21 broken ribs, two damaged vertebrae, a cracked cheek bone, a leg broken in multiple places and a dislocated ankle.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-northern-ireland-66444606
It only takes one of them to be a bit cranky, and the rest will follow!

It only takes one of them to be a bit cranky, and the rest will follow!
"A bit cranky" = "bloody psychopathic", by the sound of it.

In the work I used to do, I often heard of farmers and their employees getting injured by cows and bulls. It has made me pretty wary of them.

Oddly enough, my mom tells me that she had found me once sitting in the middle of several cows and them just standing around. Mind you, these were dairy Holstein cows, so quite different from beef and or bull cattle.

Why do all articles seem to say "attacked by cows"? Surely there must be someone who actually is curious as to what breed and whether bulls or cows.

Last edited:
Oddly enough, my mom tells me that she had found me once sitting in the middle of several cows and them just standing around. Mind you, these were dairy Holstein cows, so quite different from beef and or bull cattle.

Why do all articles seem to say "attacked by cows"? Surely there must be someone who actually is curious as to what breed and whether bulls or cows.
Maybe they don't hang around to find out!

Rolling! Rolling! Rolling! Vid at link.

Wrexham: Runaway cows dent cars in Rhostyllen village​

Residents had a surprise when a herd of cows flooded their streets on bank holiday.

A free delivery of milk straight to their doorstep? Not quite.

They were left wiping cow pats off their shoes and looking at dented cars after the cows' unexpected visit to Rhostyllen in Wrexham county.

https://www.bbc.com/news/av/uk-wales-66650503

Rolling! Rolling! Rolling! Vid at link.

Wrexham: Runaway cows dent cars in Rhostyllen village​

Residents had a surprise when a herd of cows flooded their streets on bank holiday.

A free delivery of milk straight to their doorstep? Not quite.

They were left wiping cow pats off their shoes and looking at dented cars after the cows' unexpected visit to Rhostyllen in Wrexham county.

https://www.bbc.com/news/av/uk-wales-66650503
:oops:that's a lot of cattle.

Vid at link.

A woman has been describing the moment she tried to save her dog from a cattle attack at her family farm.

Heather Vance ended up with life-changing injuries after being trampled by a herd of cows. The Magherafelt woman's life was saved after an air ambulance was dispatched to take her to hospital.

Her dog, Trigger, was headbutted by one of the animals and would have to be put down as a result of his injuries.

Her story comes the Health and Safety Executive for Northern Ireland (HSENI) are highlighting research showing that fatal incidents involving animals are on the increase.

The study examined 50 years of farming incidents here.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-northern-ireland-66653174

Another cow trampling

Woman trampled to death by cows while walking dogs through field of 40 animals

A spokesperson for Dyfed Powys Police said today: “We can confirm that a woman died after walking her dogs along a public access path through a field containing around 40 cows. The incident took place on the evening of September 1 in the Maesmawr area of Welshpool.

And another, also in Wales

This one the man survived by playing dead.

Glyn Austin, 71, was walking a stretch of the Wales Coast Path in Carmarthenshire on the morning of Friday, September 1. Mr Austin, a retired clergyman who lives in Capel Iwan near Newcastle Emlym, was visiting his father-in-law in Burry Port that morning

As Mr Austin walked with his dogs, who were both on leads, he said he noticed a herd of cows blocking the path along a section known locally as Bank y Lord a short distance from the A484 between Kidwelly and Pembrey. Still being around 50 yards away from the cows Mr Austin said he stopped and decided to take a wide arc around the cattle so as not to go near them. What happened next left him convinced that he would die.
“I had two dogs with me so I didn’t want to go near the cattle so I went around the edge,” he said. “I thought I was far enough away, my dogs weren’t barking and were both on a lead, but they just came towards me and charged me – maybe 15 of them. Each time I tried to get up they knocked me over again and trampled me. I then just pretended I was dead.”

By this point Mr Austin said his dogs had started barking and that alerted a man who was working nearby. He came over and was able to scare the cows away with Mr Austin still lying on the ground in agony. The man who came to his aid – Austin Bevan from Pembroke Dock – called the ambulance immediately and also managed to contact Mr Austin’s wife to tell her of the terrifying incident.

A Wales Air Ambulance helicopter from Dafen arrived at the scene a short time later and Mr Austin was airlifted to the University Hospital of Wales in Cardiff where he stayed for six nights. He sustained six broken ribs, including one which was broken in two places, and bruising to other parts of his body.

With all the soggy weather we've been having all over the UK here's a story about a rescue of a herd of cows. Not only were they safe in the end but someone living nearby with a big garden got a free lawn cut!

'Incredible' rescue of distressed cows​

Cows have been rescued after they became trapped in rising water at the flooded Mere reserve in Framlingham.
Beth Stephens, who went to help, said the noise of the distressed animals was "horrendous".
"Some incredible lads were wading into the water, at the bottom of the castle, trying to encourage these cows, who were terrified," she said.
"They just had their nostrils out of the water, that was how desperate it got.
"The lads were holding their heads so they could breathe out of the water.
"It was really intense operation but we managed to get all 17 out."
The cows were dragged towards a group of people who hugged exhausted calves and ushered the cows into a high garden, away from the flooding.
"They were so cold, blue almost, and shivering."
It is understood they have been collected and returned to a barn in Stowmarket.

1697896751950.jpeg

Belted Galway, a naturally hornless breed.

I doubt they would have got help if they were longhorns or highlands.
Are you implying that our 'incredible' suffolk lads aren't brave? ha!ha!

All you ever wanted to know about Mad Cow Disease and likely a lot you don't want to know.
The cows are mad BBCi player.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/brand/m001rrhy
I may have to listen to this. Hopefully it will play.

I am wondering if the topic will eventually lead to an odd occurrence a couple of years ago in New Brunswick. I don't think anything was concluded.

Story at link:
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-brunswick/mystery-brain-disease-new-brunswick-1.6303781

I am wondering if the topic will eventually lead to an odd occurrence a couple of years ago in New Brunswick. I don't think anything was concluded.
Strange indeed and very sad for the victims. I wonder if they will get to the bottom of if it?

All you ever wanted to know about Mad Cow Disease and likely a lot you don't want to know.
The cows are mad BBCi player.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/brand/m001rrhy

I may have to listen to this. Hopefully it will play.
So I have listened to much of this, and may have to listen again. Very interesting podcast and each episode is short. Lots of information to think about. I even watched a YT video showing how BSE is detected in living cattle (because it can't be verified until after death with an autopsy).

I vaguely remember when this disease was identified, but really didn't pay attention at the time. This is a UK podcast and so details the way the UK govt and scientists dealt with it at the time.

There are also questions as to if people who contracted the human Creutzfeldt-Jacob Disease were really a result of eating diseased meat, as originally thought. CJD can develop "naturally" through hereditary or mutated genes and has been around before then. But at this particular time, when there appeared to be none of these connections, consumption of infected meat was thought to increase the risk of CJD.

There are other theories discussed about prion diseases in both humans and animals and the newer prion disease in deer (chronic wasting disease) and whether we need to watch the development of this in relation to new diseases mutating and crossing the animal to human border.

Lots to think about if you are interested this topic.

Not in the mood for moosic.

The gentle tinkling of cowbells is a sound almost everyone associates with Switzerland.

It conjures up images of peaceful pastures, with majestic snow-capped mountains in the distance.

But what if those bells are right outside your bedroom window day and night, and rather than tinkle gently, clang loudly around the necks of 20 or 30 cows? That is the dilemma many Swiss communities are facing.

Aarwangen, population 4,700, is a charming village sitting on the banks of the beautiful river Aare, the Bernese Alps in the distance. It has a medieval castle and an attractive centre with a church and traditional farmhouses.

But the village is also strategically placed to serve Switzerland's highly successful economy. It is just an hour from Bern, Zurich, and Basel and is a lovely place to live for city workers who want some peace after the day job. Now, a growing number of new houses and apartments extend out from the village's original centre.

But if you want complete quiet, Aarwangen, or anywhere in rural Switzerland, may not be for you. Those traditional farmhouses are still functioning, the green fields around the village are home not just to new houses, but to dairy cows, complete with bells around their necks.

For some of Aarwangen's new residents, the din proved too much. At least two families complained formally to the village council, asking for the bells to be removed at night.

Howls of protest ensued. Long-term residents, and the village's remaining farmers - just five or six according to village mayor Niklaus Lundsgaard-Hansen - were outraged at what they felt was an attack on their traditional culture.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-67296413

We get similar round here, townies move in then start complaining about narrow muddy roads
country smells animals being naughty in the fields slow tractors nothing for their little darlings
to do the list goes on, why they don't bugger off back to the shit hole they came from I don't
know.
:omr:
God that feels better.

We get similar round here, townies move in then start complaining about narrow muddy roads
country smells animals being naughty in the fields slow tractors nothing for their little darlings
to do the list goes on, why they don't bugger off back to the shit hole they came from I don't
know.
God that feels better.

There may be another agenda at work. Anyway the townsfolk will vote on the issue next month.

But nowadays cows have electronic chips, and spend most of their time in fenced-off pastures. The row in Aarwangen is not the first over whether bells are really necessary.

Some Swiss farmers have already removed cowbells at night, so as not to disturb their neighbours' sleep. Others have given up on them altogether. Animal rights activists have questioned whether the cows are harmed by having to wear a heavy noisy bell.

But in a country of high immigration, where 25% of the population is not Swiss, there will always be those who see any change to tradition as an attack on their culture and their identity.

That is really what Aarwangen's cowbell row is about. In last month's parliamentary elections the right-wing Swiss People's Party campaigned on the slogan "so that Switzerland stays Switzerland", and was rewarded with sizeable gains.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-67296413

know.
God that feels better.
Thank you RaM, me too.

So many want to live in the countryside, when actually it is overrated.

When I was in Scotland I was over an hours drive (mostly single track roads, and over five hundred years time travel) from the nearest supermarket.

Back