• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.
No it’s definitely not personal. When she left home in the early 90s she just abandoned the family. She lives about a 3 minute walk from my mum and dad in the next road and sees them probably twice a year for about ten minutes.
Even when I see her husband which is fairly regular she is never mentioned by both of us. She’s a complete stranger to me.
That sounds sad.
A branch of my family is like that. My Dad's sister cut herself off from my grandma and my Dad, and his brother. No explanation, no further contact. It was odd. She still lives in the same small town where she was born, but won't ever say hello to my Dad's brother (who is a lovely bloke). Her youngest daughter now seems to have dropped off the map - we've seen/talked to eldest daughter Catherine, and even she doesn't know where Susan (the youngest) has gone. Weirdness. At least Catherine got back in touch.

That sounds sad.
A branch of my family is like that. My Dad's sister cut herself off from my grandma and my Dad, and his brother. No explanation, no further contact. It was odd. She still lives in the same small town where she was born, but won't ever say hello to my Dad's brother (who is a lovely bloke). Her youngest daughter now seems to have dropped off the map - we've seen/talked to eldest daughter Catherine, and even she doesn't know where Susan (the youngest) has gone. Weirdness. At least Catherine got back in touch.
I feel sad for my parents, but as I said she is a stranger to me.

The murder of Charles Walton on St. Valentine’s Day, 1945.

maximus otter

If anyone's interested Steve Punt recorded an episode of Punt, PI on this event - https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b0397vqx

"In 1945 on St Valentine's Day the elderly farmworker Charles Walton was found murdered. A pitchfork pinned him to the ground and horrible wounds had been inflicted on person. But seemingly Walton had no enemies and there appeared to be no motive. Who could be the murderer and why?..."

If anyone's interested Steve Punt recorded an episode of Punt, PI on this event - https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b0397vqx

"In 1945 on St Valentine's Day the elderly farmworker Charles Walton was found murdered. A pitchfork pinned him to the ground and horrible wounds had been inflicted on person. But seemingly Walton had no enemies and there appeared to be no motive. Who could be the murderer and why?..."
Two interesting side issues emerging in the prog - the Fosse Way ghost Roman legion who are only visible from the calves up as the road in Roman times would’ve been lower than currently.

Also the 92% murder solving rate due to the murderer generally being known by the murdered either as extended family or friend.

No it’s definitely not personal. When she left home in the early 90s she just abandoned the family. She lives about a 3 minute walk from my mum and dad in the next road and sees them probably twice a year for about ten minutes.
Even when I see her husband which is fairly regular she is never mentioned by both of us. She’s a complete stranger to me.
I'm about the same with my family since my Mum died except the other way round. I was the one who moved away from my family to a different county though: I've made the effort but my Sister never tries to contact me, it's always me trying to contact her to the point when I recently asked her why and she replied with "Don't be like that." ... and still never contacts me. We've never had a fall out, she hasn't got any mental health issues, she's got a firm job, husband and three kids, she just hasn't once phoned me in over three years. My Dad never calls me either but will take calls from me and be warm and chatty nowadays. Sometimes it feels like the family I had and that I grew up with was just a dream. A part of the reason why I moved was because I knew I'd never be able to develop if I'd stayed in my home town for various reasons. Maybe your Sister felt she needed to 'cut the apron strings' as well?. I don't know. I'm the youngest in my family.

Anyway, sorry .. back on topic ...

Last edited:
I have an attic but it's more of a loft room, accessed by a proper flight of stairs, not a ladder. I sometimes find myself half-imagining that there's someone hiding up there and I have to go up and look around, I think it's just because it's a space that I can't easily see into. I sometimes have the same feeling about the spare bedroom (which usually has the door closed). It's that 'closed space' thing.
A second set of stairs- like upstairs stairs, you might say?

I found a small coffin, probably about 5 feet long in the attic of my sisters bungalow in 2005. I was refurbing the place for her shortly after she moved in. It had previously belonged to an old lady who had died there. The lid wasn’t screwed down and thankfully it was empty. My sister left it up there,it’s probably still there now.

Apart from the discussion about uses for an empty coffin, and family contact - I am wondering why someone would have what seemed to be a child-sized coffin in their loft/attic? Did they have a large dog they planned to bury in it, maybe?

Apart from the discussion about uses for an empty coffin, and family contact - I am wondering why someone would have what seemed to be a child-sized coffin in their loft/attic? Did they have a large dog they planned to bury in it, maybe?

Well, you know, there was this one night at band camp...

Car boot sale bargain?

Well, you know, there was this one night at band camp...

Me, being me - I need to know: Was this a 'real' coffin, or a 'joke' or 'prop' coffin? If it is a real coffin why in the ruddy heck would someone have it in their loft? Where did they get it from? What was it made of? How old might it have been? Who bought it? Where from? etc., etc.,

I just love a mystery - small or huge!

Me, being me - I need to know: Was this a 'real' coffin, or a 'joke' or 'prop' coffin? If it is a real coffin why in the ruddy heck would someone have it in their loft? Where did they get it from? What was it made of? How old might it have been? Who bought it? Where from? etc., etc.,

I just love a mystery - small or huge!
I need at least one picture of this coffin.

It was probably for herself but I guess her family didn't know she had it. Most people prefer to take out insurance rather than buy the coffin in advance though!

When she was a child my mother used to spend her summers in the mountain village of Montmin, near Annecy, France. She would stay in the former priest's house ("la cure") with her family (three brothers and her parents).

The house was a large and rather intimidating one, and my mother was convinced that it was haunted. According to her, there were ghosts in the kitchen and in the attic. She actually didn't witness anything in the kitchen, apart from a threatening atmosphere (and the sense of being observed). On the other hand, she witnessed a few minor weirdnesses in the attic.

The door to the attic had a small window, enabling those walking downstairs in the main corridor of the house to get a glimpse of the attic. My mother and her brothers often saw shadows moving behind this small window. It didn't deter her from climbing the attic stairs, opening the door and visiting the place. Of course, nobody would wait for the brave visitor there ...

However worrying these shadows might appear to a small child, my mother got convinced that the attic ghost was "friendly" because he left some small banknotes on the floor for the children !

She and her brothers would go into the attic to play their games, and, from one day to the other, they would find some small money on the floor (that wasn't there the day before). Since their parents would never go into the attic, the children concluded that the ghost was giving them money !

The other ghosts of the house were not so friendly. My mother, was so afraid of the kitchen ghosts that when going to bed, she would hide deep into her covers, and behind her doll. One morning, she woke up to find her doll had been heavily stabbed by a knife. She blamed the ghosts for that. To this day, none of her brothers ever admitted having stabbed the doll, and I doubt her father and mother would do that. She concluded that there were indeed evil ghosts in this house. I still find it hard to believe a ghost would waste his eternity stabbing dolls to scare away little girls. So I suspect one of my uncles of playing a prank on my mother, although none of them ever pleaded guilty (they are over 60 years old now) ...

The house still exists in Montmin. Last time I visited the village it had been bought and renovated. I did not inquire about any recent hauntings there, so my mother is my only witness on this case ...

As a side note, this priest's house was close to the church, and I think to the original burial grounds of the village (the cemetary is now far away outside the town, but in medieval times, it was around the church). That might or might not explain the presence of ghosts in the kitchen (close to ground level) and perhaps in the attic.

My family has a coffin piece that was kept since Victorian London, and is to be passed on to the one male descendant (has to be male) who carries the name (again, required) and, I suppose, isn't so distant as to be considered not 'in the family' (since there would be other candidates otherwise). Some people value family artifacts a great deal, although I'm not sure I quite understand.

My family has a coffin piece that was kept since Victorian London, and is to be passed on to the one male descendant (has to be male) who carries the name (again, required) and, I suppose, isn't so distant as to be considered not 'in the family' (since there would be other candidates otherwise). Some people value family artifacts a great deal, although I'm not sure I quite understand.
What is a coffin piece?

I'm more inclined towards a full portfolio with shots from all angles and in various lighting conditions.

Plus a short video, ten minutes would probably do; views inside and out, lid on and off, possibly bananas for scale.
Don't forget to use a rotating display stand when shooting the the video.
Example here:
(For the action shots, skip to 1:09 minutes.)

I'm more inclined towards a full portfolio with shots from all angles and in various lighting conditions.

Plus a short video, ten minutes would probably do; views inside and out, lid on and off, possibly bananas for scale.
Bananas can vary widely in size, we may need to put an orange next to the banana, for scale of the banana.

If anyone still has a morbid desire for a coffin - here's your chance. Kmart is selling plywood coffins. They are small and intended as Halloween novelties, but they look well made from the picture.

https://www.kmart.com.au/product/plywood-coffin-43302901/

coffin.jpg

Someone was selling what they believed were Victorian coffin fittings for a child, along with a 1930s Undertaker’s sign on EBay. Presumably found in an outhouse or something, even my hardcore Goth oldest sister turned that one down.

How about a creepy toy or play room.

A few years back my younger daughter had a musical tea pot that would not stop playing music especially after everyone went to sleep and her frustrated husband through it out in the trash bin.

Like I said everything was OK for a couple of years until now when my daughter at night hears the play room door open and close.

My daughter says everyone is asleep in their beds, and the play room door is in the position that she left it before she went to bed.

So, she says this is a real mystery.

The scariest thing about my attic was when I heard loud thumps from overhead when I was in my bedroom under the attic. Just one loud thump, now and then (not like the thumps in my actual bedroom, but more like a heavy cushion being dropped).

The mystery was solved one day when, after 'The Thump' had been heard, a little feline face peered in at me, then shot back up the upstairs stairs. A neighbour's cat was coming in the Velux window when it was open in the warm weather. Fortunately, the dog did not know this.

Right, here's some oldish family attic weirdness.

Here's a thread on phantom drips -

Strange Stuff Dripping From Ceilings

There are others. I've posted about our phantom drip, alongside other house weirdness, many times.

In our last house my eldest used to see a constant cascade of jewel-like drips constantly falling from the ceiling in the same place.
Upstairs over that spot the drips fell from the bedroom ceiling. Eldest told me she'd sneaked up to the attic and seen the drips emerging from the roof slates and falling through the floor.

Dunno what was going on there. :dunno:

We still get the drips now and then in this house especially when we're having work done.

Back