• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Day Of The Animals: Tales Of Man Vs Beast (And Man Suffers)

And also from Pennsylvania:

Hunters rescue deer frozen in lake

There's a video. The deer would've undoubtedly frozen to death - it's front legs are stuck. The guy risks thin ice to free then let it go. It's legs are so cold it struggles to keep on it's feet but bolts off anyway.

The father and son team later posted the video to Facebook, with the message: "Had to save the little girl from freezing on the Mon River. Today was a good day.

"Yes we hunt we fish, we love the outdoors but the love we have for wildlife is more than just a bunch of guys in camo running around like a bunch of disrespectful red necks as Peta would say.

"Yes we take wildlife but when a chance to give back comes along we will do it.

"It’s all about conservation and doing the right thing.

"Thanks to my son, I couldn’t have done it without you."

…Her cunning has not stopped there. One day, when a gull flew into her pool, she grabbed it, waited for the trainers and then gave it to them. It was a large bird and so the trainers gave her lots of fish. This seemed to give Kelly a new idea. The next time she was fed, instead of eating the last fish, she took it to the bottom of the pool and hid it under the rock where she had been hiding the paper. When no trainers were present, she brought the fish to the surface and used it to lure the gulls, which she would catch to get even more fish. After mastering this lucrative strategy, she taught her calf, who taught other calves, and so gull-baiting has become a hot game among the dolphins.

http://marginalrevolution.com/marginalrevolution/2018/01/dolphin-capital-theory.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed: marginalrevolution/feed (Marginal Revolution)

And from the comments ... wow!

I guess Adam Smith was wrong

“Nobody ever saw a dog make a fair and deliberate exchange of one bone for another with another dog. Nobody ever saw one animal by its gestures and natural cries signify to another, this is mine, that yours; I am willing to give this for that….But man has almost constant occasion for the help of his brethren, and it is in vain for him to expect it from their benevolence only. He will be more likely to prevail if he can interest their self-love in his favour, and show them that it is for their own advantage to do for him what he requires of them. Whoever offers to another a bargain of any kind, proposes to do this. Give me that which I want, and you shall have this which you want, is the meaning of every such offer; and it is in this manner that we obtain from one another the far greater part of those good offices which we stand in need of.”

https://www.goodreads.com/quotes/397450-nobody-ever-saw-a-dog-make-a-fair-and-deliberate

A new study finds truth in Aboriginal tales of 'firehawks' - birds which deliberately start fires to smoke out prey.
These Birds Of Prey Are Deliberately Setting Forests on Fire
Even more proof Australian wildlife is nuts.

PETER DOCKRILL
10 JAN 2018
It's pretty hot in Australia right now. A brutal heatwave that's incinerated temperature records threatens devastating bushfires – and to make matters worse, authorities have to contend with an ancient breed of flying arsonists that may as well be miniature dragons.

A new study incorporating traditional Indigenous Australian ecological knowledge describes the largely unknown behaviour of so-called 'firehawk raptors' – birds that intentionally spread fire by wielding burning sticks in their talons and beaks.

SOURCE: http://www.sciencealert.com/birds-i...e-rewriting-history-fire-use-firehawk-raptors

That doesn't normally happen around here.

Wallaby in custody after bouncing over Sydney Harbour Bridge

314rz9i.png

A wallaby has been captured by police after an early morning hop over the Sydney Harbour Bridge.

The Traffic Management Centre said a "kangaroo" was seen about 5am on Tuesday travelling south on the bridge.

A police spokeswoman said the marsupial started in lane eight before hopping across a number of lanes on the bridge and exiting onto the Cahill Expressway and turning down Macquarie Street, heading for the Conservatorium.

The speed on the Harbour Bridge was reduced while the wallaby was making its way south, and police pursued the animal before taking it into custody at the Conservatorium of Music, the police spokeswoman said.

http://www.smh.com.au/nsw/wallaby-i...er-sydney-harbour-bridge-20180115-h0irxx.html

Not even snooker players are immune from animal attacks:

WEST COVINA, Calif. (AP) — It was less an arrest than a roundup.

Police say a donkey led more than a dozen sheep and goats on a stroll through a suburban West Covina neighborhood east of Los Angeles.

Police were called around 12:30 a.m. Thursday by reports of a herd of animals walking the streets.

The animals were finally corralled with the help of the Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department.

Authorities say the animals escaped their owners’ property in neighboring Valinda through an unsecured gate.

The owner was contacted and took the herd back home.

No injuries were reported but police say it raised a few eyebrows among officers who thought they’d seen it all.

https://apnews.com/3617a4cfe3eb4a6c...low&utm_source=Twitter&utm_medium=AP_Oddities

WEST COVINA, Calif. (AP) — It was less an arrest than a roundup.

Police say a donkey led more than a dozen sheep and goats on a stroll through a suburban West Covina neighborhood east of Los Angeles.

Police were called around 12:30 a.m. Thursday by reports of a herd of animals walking the streets.

The animals were finally corralled with the help of the Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department.

Authorities say the animals escaped their owners’ property in neighboring Valinda through an unsecured gate.

The owner was contacted and took the herd back home.

No injuries were reported but police say it raised a few eyebrows among officers who thought they’d seen it all.

https://apnews.com/3617a4cfe3eb4a6c...low&utm_source=Twitter&utm_medium=AP_Oddities
All animals are equal but some are more equal than others, George Orwell's Animal Farm style (extreme alt leftists, I'm talking about you)

How small a hole can a mouse squeeze through ? (depends on the size of the mouse I suppose)

Last edited:
Mouse always leaves droppings after it's eaten.

They all look curiously cute. Awww.

Back