• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Day Of The Animals: Tales Of Man Vs Beast (And Man Suffers)

Blind Rescue dog Bryn back home after being missing in St Ives area for a week
By CMKirsteSmith | Posted: March 30, 2016

A blind rescue dog that went missing in the St Ives area last week has finally been returned home.
Bryn, a Mastiff cross, went missing at around midnight last Wednesday after he jumped the fence at his home in Amalveor, just outside St Ives, after smelling the scent of a badger.

Jenny Nankervis, who is Bryn's owner, Jenny's family and Della Johnson, who used to be Bryn's foster mum, have been appealing for help trying to track him down since he went missing.
Over the Bank Holiday weekend residents in St Ives and the surrounding area volunteered their time to help look for Bryn but he was not found until this afternoon.
Bryn has been returned to his home in Amalveor this afternoon. :glee:

Lorna, Goatly, who has been helping Jenny, with the social media campaigns to help find Bryn, said: "Bryn was reunited with his owner Jenny Nankervis this afternoon at 1:30pm. Vicky Nankervis and her Dad, Paul Turner found Bryn wandering around near Georgia Bridge at the back of Nancledra. This is around half a mile away from where he escaped last Wednesday evening.

"We are extremely pleased to have him home and have cried tears of joy since the moment he came rushing through the door. Jenny and her family would like to thank everyone who has taken the time out to help in the search for Bryn. It's been very humbling to see everyone come together and search for Bryn to bring him home. We cannot thank you all enough. :)

"We would like to say a special thank you to DogLost Cornwall; Maxine Young for coordinating, Andrea Hunt for helping with our search on Sunday and Mark Thomas for bringing his drone to search the local area. Mark has been fundraising for a thermal imaging camera to attach to his drone to assist in early recovery of lost dogs in Devon and Cornwall.

"Many of you have donated to help him reach his target over the past few days. We'd like to thank everyone who has contributed and we'd encourage anyone else who can, to donate. Thank you to Tina Raymond from Blind Dog Rescue who created a Twitter account @Findbryn to help raise his profile, Tina is also a volunteer for Harvey's Army who have helped immensely by creating posters for us to make the public aware. Finally we'd like to say a massive thank you to Della Johnson who has opened our eyes to the support network for people with lost dogs."

http://www.cornishman.co.uk/Blind-R...St-Ives-area/story-29019819-detail/story.html

Blind Rescue dog Bryn back home after being missing in St Ives area for a week
By CMKirsteSmith | Posted: March 30, 2016

A blind rescue dog that went missing in the St Ives area last week has finally been returned home.
Bryn, a Mastiff cross, went missing at around midnight last Wednesday after he jumped the fence at his home in Amalveor, just outside St Ives, after smelling the scent of a badger.

Jenny Nankervis, who is Bryn's owner, Jenny's family and Della Johnson, who used to be Bryn's foster mum, have been appealing for help trying to track him down since he went missing.
Over the Bank Holiday weekend residents in St Ives and the surrounding area volunteered their time to help look for Bryn but he was not found until this afternoon.
Bryn has been returned to his home in Amalveor this afternoon. :glee:

Lorna, Goatly, who has been helping Jenny, with the social media campaigns to help find Bryn, said: "Bryn was reunited with his owner Jenny Nankervis this afternoon at 1:30pm. Vicky Nankervis and her Dad, Paul Turner found Bryn wandering around near Georgia Bridge at the back of Nancledra. This is around half a mile away from where he escaped last Wednesday evening.

"We are extremely pleased to have him home and have cried tears of joy since the moment he came rushing through the door. Jenny and her family would like to thank everyone who has taken the time out to help in the search for Bryn. It's been very humbling to see everyone come together and search for Bryn to bring him home. We cannot thank you all enough. :)

"We would like to say a special thank you to DogLost Cornwall; Maxine Young for coordinating, Andrea Hunt for helping with our search on Sunday and Mark Thomas for bringing his drone to search the local area. Mark has been fundraising for a thermal imaging camera to attach to his drone to assist in early recovery of lost dogs in Devon and Cornwall.

"Many of you have donated to help him reach his target over the past few days. We'd like to thank everyone who has contributed and we'd encourage anyone else who can, to donate. Thank you to Tina Raymond from Blind Dog Rescue who created a Twitter account @Findbryn to help raise his profile, Tina is also a volunteer for Harvey's Army who have helped immensely by creating posters for us to make the public aware. Finally we'd like to say a massive thank you to Della Johnson who has opened our eyes to the support network for people with lost dogs."

http://www.cornishman.co.uk/Blind-R...St-Ives-area/story-29019819-detail/story.html

Great news!

A great shark bursts an inflatable boat full of idiots .. what could go wrong? ..

Parrot battles crows in chimney fight in Hayle
By DaveCDM | Posted: April 04, 2016

13715148-large.jpg

Parrot v crow montage (More pics on page)

These pictures show a rare African grey parrot standing its ground as it perches on a suburban rooftop - while under siege by two black crows.
The series of snaps showing the battle of the birds were taken by Greg Caygill while he was out walking in Hayle.
The 58-year-old spotted the parrot sitting on a television aerial - a prime spot also being sought by the crows.

But after a slight skirmish, the parrot successfully defended his territory and managed to frighten off all-comers.
Greg, 58, of Hayle, said: "I was walking and I saw this African grey. He was defending its roof top. It looked like he was protecting his chimney pot.

"He was annoying the two crows that were flying by and pestering him. It's quite a rare bird - I heard him doing the old wolf whistle and I thought I'd better get the camera out the bag and get a shot.
"The crows came back to pester him quite few times. It was quite comical in a way."

Greg said that he has seen the parrot since he got a snap of it last week and he believes it to belong to someone in the town.
It is traditionally native to Central Africa.

http://www.westbriton.co.uk/Parrot-...-fight-Hayle/story-29047784-detail/story.html

Parrot battles crows in chimney fight in Hayle
By DaveCDM | Posted: April 04, 2016

13715148-large.jpg

Parrot v crow montage (More pics on page)

These pictures show a rare African grey parrot standing its ground as it perches on a suburban rooftop - while under siege by two black crows.
The series of snaps showing the battle of the birds were taken by Greg Caygill while he was out walking in Hayle.
The 58-year-old spotted the parrot sitting on a television aerial - a prime spot also being sought by the crows.

But after a slight skirmish, the parrot successfully defended his territory and managed to frighten off all-comers.
Greg, 58, of Hayle, said: "I was walking and I saw this African grey. He was defending its roof top. It looked like he was protecting his chimney pot.

"He was annoying the two crows that were flying by and pestering him. It's quite a rare bird - I heard him doing the old wolf whistle and I thought I'd better get the camera out the bag and get a shot.
"The crows came back to pester him quite few times. It was quite comical in a way."

Greg said that he has seen the parrot since he got a snap of it last week and he believes it to belong to someone in the town.
It is traditionally native to Central Africa.

http://www.westbriton.co.uk/Parrot-battles-crows-chimney-fight-Hayle/story-29047784-detail/story.html

Bloody African Greys .. coming over here, stealing all our British aerials from British birds *grumble grumble*

Heroic Army Dog gets Animal VC

A dog who who protected thousands of allied troops in Iraq and Afghanistan has been awarded the animal equivalent of the VC, the PDSA Dickin Medal, today (Tuesday 5th April)

The twelve-year-old German Shepherd, who lost a leg while on duty, successfully completed over 400 separate missions during six years of active service.

The famous medal was instituted by PDSA’s founder, Maria Dickin, CBE, in 1943. It is the highest award any animal in the world can achieve while serving in military conflict.

Lucca worked as a search dog, who was specially trained to sniff out munitions and explosives, protected the lives of thousands of allied troops. There were no human casualties during any of the patrols Lucca went on.

unnamed-280.jpg

Retired US Marine Corps dog Lucca receives the PDSA Dickin Medal for gallantry during her six year career, with her owner Gunnery Sergeant Christopher Willingham at the Wellington Barracks, London on the 05/04/2016. Photo: David Tett

http://www.thelondoneconomic.com/news/heroic-army-dog-gets-animal-vc/05/04/

Radioactive wild boars rampaging around Fukushima nuclear site
The animal population has been left unchecked since the disaster in 2011
Will Worley
Thursday 7 April 2016

Radioactive boars are running wild and breeding uncontrollably in the northern region of Japan contaminated by the Fukushima nuclear disaster.
The animals have been devastating local agriculture and eating toxic, nuclear-contaminated food from around the accident site.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/w...ng-fukushima-nuclear-site-japan-a6972361.html

Attack mode: Monkey sneaks up, drop-kicks man to the ground
Published time: 10 Apr, 2016 16:43

In a matter of seconds, a man was attacked and thrown to the ground by a very cheeky – and violent – monkey.
CCTV footage emerged of the incident, which appears to be in India, though reports have not been verified.
The monkey is seen racing up to the man, before jumping up on his back and drop-kicking him. The startled man swiftly falls to the ground.

Thankfully oblivious to the fact that she doesn't know what's chasing her ..

Last edited:
My new wildlife crush...

Extremely Rare Chinese 'Magic Rabbit' That Looks Like A Toy Bear Going Extinct

This is sad news for animal lovers. The extremely rare Chinese "Magic Rabbit" that looks like a teddy bear is going extinct.

Considered as one of the rarest and arguably one of the cutest mammals on Earth, the lli Pika was discovered in the Tian Shan Mountains in Xingjian, China in 1983. Researchers from the Xinjiang Institute of Ecology and Geography, led by Weidong Li, discovered the tiny creature that resembles a toy bear. According to the Scientific American, in the 1990s, authorities acknowledged the fact that the population of "Magic Rabbits" is dwindling.

That's why everyone was surprised when the rare and elusive Chinese "Magic Rabbit" reappeared in 2014. Some lli Pikas werephotographed for the first time after 20 years, emerging from the mountain crevices in China.

Etc...

Ili Pikas are actually categorized as "lagomorphs," which is a cross-breed between hares and rabbits. [This is drivel;)]"Magic Rabbits" are so elusive that even researchers are having difficulties studying them.

http://www.natureworldnews.com/arti...-that-looks-like-a-toy-bear-going-extinct.htm

They're reeeaaaallly cute!

EDIT More pika pics courtesy of The Daily Mail.

Last edited:
Have You Ever Suspected Animals Can Read?

I was once waiting on the platform at a Boston Metro station, watching a sightless fellow with his service dog. The dog was seated next to him. There was no-one standing near him, and there was no public address system giving train information.

One train entered the station, there was no reaction from the dog. A second train entered the station, there was no reaction from the dog. As the third train entered the station, the dog stood and the two of them boarded.

How did the dog know that was their train? Was it somehow able to recognize the markings on the engine? I have heard that packs of dogs routinely navigate the Moscow underground, getting on and off trains seemingly with a definite destination in mind. I'm fascinated by what kind of mental processing is going on here.

Of course, it's also possible that the dog just chose a train at random, and his pissed-off owner spent the rest of the evening trying to get home...

Ability to tell time was an angle that hadn't occurred to me. It's certainly as plausible as ability to read.

One train entered the station, there was no reaction from the dog. A second train entered the station, there was no reaction from the dog. As the third train entered the station, the dog stood and the two of them boarded.

Could someone have told the man that he needed to catch the third train and his dog was prompted to rise when it arrived by a slight movement of it's harness by it's owner? They wear a kind of stiff harness as opposed to a lead/leash, maybe people who use guide dogs can communicate with their animals the same way a horse rider can with reins.

People who are registered blind aren't always in complete darkness, a lot of them might have extremely poor vision but can distinguish certain shapes and colours. I used to catch the same bus as a blind woman and one day noticed she was wearing a watch the size of an alarm clock with huge numbers on it I could read from some distance away. I'm presuming there must have been a large clock in the metro station?

David, your explanation strikes me as probably being the correct one. I shouldn't have assumed that the man was totally blind. He may very well have been partially sighted and was able to distinguish between the trains, and the dog was responding to his cues.

(I still like idea of a dog that can read, though . . .)

It's entirely possible that they can be trained to recognise various signs without necessarily understanding their meaning.
However, I think Mr Plankton's explanation may be correct.

A beaver reportedly took a man hostage in Latvia

No, you did not read that headline wrong. Yes, a beaver took a man hostage in Latvia.

According to the editor of the local paper in Daugavpils, Lavia, a man named Sergei was walking through the city streets late at night when a beaver ran out of the shadows and sunk its teeth into the man's leg. Sergei apparently tried to fight back and ended up falling; on the ground, he got pinned by the beaver, which would bite him every time he tried to get back up.

Sergei managed to get ahold of his phone and called rescue services — who promptly hung up on him because "I am being held hostage by a beaver right now" definitely sounds like a bad prank call.

So Sergei then called his friend, who, after some convincing, was persuaded to come to the rescue. Only — yes, it gets worse — the friend was then pulled over for speeding on the way to save Sergei. The friend then had to convince the police officer of the hairy situation and, after what one can imagine was a very awkward breathalyzer test, the police officer decided the friend was telling the truth and radioed in animal welfare officers to help. ...

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/offbeat/a-beaver-reportedly-took-a-man-hostage-in-latvia/ar-BBs7qSJ

OMAHA, Neb. — Omaha police have announced the death of a squirrel that hung out around police headquarters and had his own Twitter following.

Police say the squirrel, which went by @OPDSquirrel on the social media site, was found dead in the police headquarters' parking lot in downtown Omaha.

A post by Omaha Officer Michael Bossman on Tuesday announced the death, accompanied by a picture of a dead squirrel outlined with chalk.

The squirrel's Twitter account, however, remains active. The rodent's nearly 350 followers have been treated to follow-up tweets from friends and family — including one from Mrs. OPDSquirrel, who thanked everyone for their kind words and said "he will be sorely missed by our 35 children and I."

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/offbe...olice-headquarters-squirrels-death/ar-BBs5izI

Pet dog raises the alarm after burglars attempt to break into village post office
By WBCaroline | Posted: April 24, 2016

A PET pooch proved its bark was worse than its bite for four bungling burglars who attempted to ransack a village post office
Ten-year-old border collie Millie's dogged determination alerted her owner Jane Partridge to trouble unfolding at Ladock Post Office in the early hours of Saturday morning. (April 16)

Miss Partridge, who lives opposite the post office, said: "I came downstairs to tell her to be quiet and went back to bed. She started barking and I thought I better look out of the window to see if it was a fox or something.
"As I opened the curtains I could see two men by the shop window, so I called 999."
The 53-year-old mum said she stayed on the line giving the police an account of the drama and officers arrived at about 3am to catch the men in the act.

Miss Partridge, who works as a carer, said she was very proud of "clever" Millie, adding: "If she hadn't woken me up I would not have heard them. Millie was a hero and I was making a lot of fuss of her that night.
"She is very protective of us as a family and will always let us know if someone has walked past the house.
"It's not often the police catch them in the act. The one that got in the shop couldn't get out. It was actually quite comical. I get really annoyed when people think they can take something from somebody else and don't have to earn it."

Tracy Mack, who has run the post office for more than three years, treated the family to Sunday lunch at the local pub and sent Millie a gift of dog treats to thank them.
She said: "It could have been so much worse if Millie hadn't woken up Jane. It's frustrating because running a post office this small you don't do it to make big bucks; you do it because you enjoy it. This is the second time in 12 months this has happened."
The last time £100 was stolen, the till was broken and a window smashed, but the offenders were never caught.

Several other dogs joined Millie to raise the alarm, including collie-golden retriever cross Charlie, who lives next door with his owner Pete Swan, 54.
The musician said he was woken up by Charlie, aged 18 months, but "I totally ignored him. I came downstairs, told him off and went back to bed. It wasn't until the next morning that I found out there had been a burglary.
"He does bark but not in the middle of the night. I should have known something was up." :rolleyes:

Four men aged 17, 18, 20 and 26 were arrested in connection with the break-in and released on bail until June.

http://www.westbriton.co.uk/8203-Pe...ttempt-break/story-29167453-detail/story.html

Coconut Crabs are whoppers, feed on coconuts and can climb trees .. they live on Pitcairn Island.

Back