• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Day Of The Animals: Tales Of Man Vs Beast (And Man Suffers)

Seems odd behaviour for a ring tail. I've been around them several times in lemur walk throughs at wildlife parks, and the most interest they've shown in me is using me as a launching post to chase each other around. I wonder what this little fella's story is. I suspect it's had a traumatic time.

Maybe he was a Jehovah's Witness and she mocked him.

woodpecker.jpg
On 18-06-2016 I saw this bird on my back lawn. We live in the suburbs. Is this some kind of woodpecker? The shape is like a woodpecker but I never saw one with those colours eating worms.

Also: My local crow family with their semi-white young:
http://forum.forteantimes.com/index.php?threads/crows.4805/page-4#post-1603177

Here's a bat eating meal worms by the looks of it .. I don't know .. I'm not David Attenborough ..

European green woodpecker.

Thanks. That explains it:
The European green woodpecker spends much of its time feeding on ants on the ground and does not often 'drum' on trees like other woodpecker species.

But strange that I never saw it before nor after that one sighting:
The species is highly sedentary and individuals rarely move more than around 500 m between breeding seasons.[5]

Hundreds of mackerel left stranded in popular Plymouth tidal pool
By Sarah_Herald | Posted: July 23, 2016

Video:

Hundreds of mackerel have been washed up at a popular Plymouth swimming spot.
As the sun shone down on happy beach-goers, seagulls went crazy for the fish down below – and for good reason.
Hundreds of the silver and blue-striped fish can be seen in the tidal pool at Devil's Point, near Royal William Yard.

Steven Phillips, whose father owns the Devil's Point Cafe above, said he has seen the rare spectacle a few times to date.
He said the mackerel chase smaller fish into the pool and when the tide goes out, the fish get stuck in there.
"Fish need oxygen to survive," he explained, "so they suffocate if there's too many in there."

Children playing in the pool managed to catch a few to take home with them, and other people collected them from the sides of the pool to cook up for dinner.

The video below, captured by Gillian Cooke, shows seagulls flocking to Devil's Point in the hope of grabbing some of the mackerel.

etc...

http://www.plymouthherald.co.uk/hun...h-tidal-pool/story-29543697-detail/story.html

Rescued staffie Diesel saves the lives of the family who gave him a home
By maxc73 | Posted: July 23, 2016

A family called Ash have been saved from a fire by a dog called Diesel, which they adopted from a rescue centre.
The staffordshire bull terrier was rescued from a dogs' home, but more than returned the favour when he saved the lives of the family who took him in, during a fire at their home.

The Ash family were fast asleep at their home in Britannia Avenue, Dartmouth, on May 28 when life-saving Diesel the Staffordshire bull terrier alerted them that something was wrong.
The Staffie woke up from where he was sleeping at the bottom of his master Jordan Ash's bed and began barking, burrowing and scratching at the duvet, before licking Jordan's face to ensure he woke him up.

Jordan got up and opened the bedroom door, to see a wall of flames half way up the stairs, only six feet away from him.
He pushed his mum and dad's bedroom door open and ran in to wake them up and then helped them escape the house.

Jordan ran back to get Diesel, who was now hiding under the bed terrified. Jordan almost fainted when picking up Diesel but managed to get himself together, and ran out with Diesel. The fire was so close as they ran past that Diesel's whiskers were singed in the flames.
Jordan passed Diesel out of the window to his Dad, and then jumped out onto the kitchen roof, from where they were all able to climb down.

Ipplepen-based Animals in Distress, who placed Diesel with the Ash family last year, have now nominated Diesel for an Animal Hero Award and a PDSA Commendation for Devotion and Bravery.
A spokesperson for Animals in Distress, said: "We are all so proud of Diesel. He definitely saved his family's lives.
"Diesel was at the Rescue Centre for a long time before the Ash family came along to adopt him."

The house was completely gutted by the fire, which had been caused by their freezer catching fire. Everything was gone including the staircase, and the whole house is now being refitted.
Neil Whitemore, in charge of Dartmouth fire station, said: "The family were very lucky. But for the dog they just wouldn't have been aware of it."

http://www.plymouthherald.co.uk/her...ives-in-fire/story-29543419-detail/story.html

I'm only posting this pic in tribute to my hamster Dave, he scuttled of this mortal coil a few years back but he did get to the grand old age of 4 which is rare for a hamster .. they're amazing escapologists, he got out of his cage somehow a few times. I came home one day and the Mrs said "shush", pointed at the living room floor and there he was ... standing there and wondering what the three of us were all supposed to be looking at.

This isn't Super Dave, I just like this picture ..

hanging.jpg

It's cute, but it looks a bit fake. See the string the hamster is hanging from?
I hadn't looked that closely to tell the truth .. but who cares right? ... IT'S CUTE :) (.. and R.I.P. Daveychops)

edit: .. you'll be telling me this one's faked next ! ( ;) ) ..

tubularbellshamster.jpg

Last edited:
Caveat: somebody dies shortly after this footage. I could have posted in WTF? as this is in the middle of the tiger section in a Beijing safari park. The rumour is that there was an argument in the car and one woman (the deceased one) stormed out of the car. The person who runs off to try to save her was also seriously mauled:

Edit: story is confusing. Other sources state that the second woman was the one killed (by a second tiger not seen in this footage) and the first was badly injured.

Last edited:
Youtube videos of people being eaten by lions and tigers are strangely addictive.

The Romans probably had dormouse on a stick or something but crisps work quite well. A nice bottle of chilled Cava and you can feel like an Emperor. :evil:

World's fluffiest and most secretive cat caught on photo trap in Siberia
http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/world-news/worlds-fluffiest-most-secretive-cat-8490206
I'd not heard of Pallas's cats before.

Native to remote regions of southern Siberia, as well as Central Asia and China, they are seldom seen, and known for their reclusive and solitary lives.

The short-clawed, cave-dwelling cat is listed in the Red Book of the Russian Federation and the Red List of the International Union for Conservation of Nature where it has the status of 'near threatened' [due to poaching].

"The exact number of the species is unknown because of the secretive behaviour of this species and the patchiness of its distribution."

PAY-Worlds-fluffiest-cat-4-must-credit-Altai-Nature-Reserve-The-Siberian-Times.jpg

Still no Yeti, yet.
Who do you think has been eating all the pallas cats?

There's a wildlife park somewhere with a pallas cat. Can't remember which one, I've been to several, but that's where I first heard of them. It was a sad little thing sitting forlornly in the corner of its enclosure. Cute though.

This is a fascinating bit of TV, especially if you're into northern seabirds, ecology, global warming, extinction, etc:

The Last Seabird Summer? - 2. Trouble at Sea
Picking up the birds' progress in July, Adam finds the Shiants colonies to be healthy and the puffins, guillemots and razorbill bringing in great bill-fulls of gleaming silver fish for their chicks. But elsewhere, the sea is failing to provide the birds with the food they need to survive.

In Scotland alone, 40 per cent of the birds have been lost and, further afield in Iceland, Adam sees colonies where nearly all the birds have been wiped out. He discovers how puffin hunters respond to the crisis and talks to both local people and experts about what could lie behind the catastrophic seabird declines. With the help of leading ornithologists and marine scientists, he begins to reveal an unexpected picture of the global forces driving the crisis, and the possible future for our seabird world.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b072wwv9/the-last-seabird-summer-2-trouble-at-sea

Part 1. is here:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b072rpwn/the-last-seabird-summer-1-living-with-the-birds

It's my friend's birthday today .. I'm skint (again) but I was able to give him a giant feather from a Rheah (I asked a zoo keeper to grab me some a few days ago) ..

A kitten who accidentally went through a 60C cycle after crawling into a washing machine has made a full recovery.

Lisa Keefe of the Meadows in Nottingham did not realise her Bengal crossbreed Bobby had climbed inside the appliance for a nap.

She raced to get him out after hearing "a loud thudding noise" from inside.

A vet at the clinic who treated him said: "In my 15 years as a vet I've never seen a case like this."

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-...=social&ns_campaign=bbcnews&ns_source=twitter

Bear hitches a ride atop a rubbish truck in New Mexico
The truck driver didn’t notice the bear straight away, and travelled at least five miles with the animal.

bear-truck-390x285.png

Image: Via Caleb Johnson

A BEAR WAS caught on camera hitching a ride on top of a rubbish truck in New Mexico.

The giant animal travelled at least five miles on the vehicle before it was able to make its escape up a tree.

The Santa Fe National Forest, whose helicopter team Santa Fe Helitack were near the area near where the incident occurred, uploaded pictures of the bear to their Facebook page.

Santa Fe National Forest spokeswoman Julie Anne Overton says the driver was picking up a dumpster last week when he heard a squeal then realised the bear was on top of the truck. It rode atop the vehicle to a site where the Forest Service keeps a firefighting helicopter. ...

http://www.thejournal.ie/bear-on-garbage-truck-2909231-Aug2016/?utm_source=shortlink

This is literature, but I wonder if it could be factual.
It's from London Overground: A Day's Walk Around the Ginger Line by Iain Sinclair.
sinclair.jpg

I have observed with fascinated horror the way woodlice will eagerly devour both salted slugs and their own relatives, even when said relatives have died of ant-powder poisoning. Suddenly, I felt a lot less guilty. :oops:

Back