• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Day Of The Animals: Tales Of Man Vs Beast (And Man Suffers)

Three-eyed snake found on Northern Territory highway

3eyes.jpg

While the rest of the world (well, at least all those feverishly consuming every dark nuance of the final season of Game of Thrones) is talking about a fictional Three-Eyed Raven, a genuine three-eyed snake has been found on a highway in the Northern Territory.

The Northern Territory Parks and Wildlife service revealed this week rangers discovered the tri-eyed critter on the Arnhem Highway near the town of Humpty Doo, about 35 kilometres from Darwin.

The juvenile snake, which was about 40 centimetres long, has become Facebook famous, with photographs of it uploaded to the service's page on Wednesday attracting thousands of likes and comments.

https://www.msn.com/en-au/news/aust...und-on-northern-territory-highway/ar-AAANk1h?

Poor wee guy. They should have called it Blinky though. Wasn't Humpty Doo associated with a poltergeist case once?

East Asians got a tendency to eat the food before it's dead. Sometimes it refuses to be eaten.
Embedded media from this media site is no longer available

East Asians got a tendency to eat the food before it's dead.
Embedded media from this media site is no longer available
That was painful to watch!
I dunno... maybe that's payback for all the times she's eaten a squid or octopus?

Beluga returns Norwegian woman's phone

She'd gone to see the 'Russian spy beluga', dropped her phone in the sea, beluga dived & returned it. There's a video.

Earlier this week, Ina Mansika from Norway, went down to the coast in Hammerfest, with some friends in hopes of spotting a very special creature.

The group were on the look out for a beluga whale that has been lingering in the area.

"We laid down on the dock to look at [the whale] and hopefully get a chance to pat it.

"I had forgotten to close my jacket pocket and my phone fell in the ocean.

"We assumed it would be gone forever, until the whale dove back down and came back a few moments later with my phone in its mouth."

Just shows you what military training can do for a captive whale. I wonder what it had to put up with to learn the catch and retrieve response?

Just shows you what military training can do for a captive whale. I wonder what it had to put up with to learn the catch and retrieve response?

Probably food rewards. I can't see punishment working..

There's some debate as to whether it's a military beluga or a civilian care beluga

Dmitry Glazov, a Russian scientist and deputy head of the beluga white whale programme, said that near Murmansk alone there were “three organisations, not necessarily military, some civilian, that train marine mammals, including belugas, for various tasks: retrieving objects, or finding divers who have had problems, like equipment malfunctions”.

How bedbugs invaded New York
New York City is under attack from a mass infestation of bedbugs that is leaving a trail of itching, sleep deprivation and panic in its wake.
Ed Pilkington guardian.co.uk, Thursday 21 October 2010 20.59 BST

Since the early days of moving pictures, a favourite staple of Hollywood has been to imagine New York city being invaded by nasty creatures that hide in dark corners. The Beast from 20,000 Fathoms, one of the first monster films, starred a dinosaur that emerges from hibernation to crunch its way up Fifth Avenue, spreading mayhem in its wake. Then, of course, there was King Kong perched atop the Empire State Building. More recently, the zombies roaming Washington Square in search of Will Smith in I Am Legend were classics of the form, as were the aliens who lopped off the head of Lady Liberty in Cloverfield.

Having been raised on all these celluloid enactments of non-human invasion, you would have thought that New Yorkers would be pretty unfazed when the real thing happens. But, judging by the increasingly hysterical headlines that have been blasted across the pages of the New York Post in the last few weeks, that's not the case.

For the truth is that the city really is under attack this time, and its residents are starting to panic.

Today you can go to the cinema in Manhattan to be scared out of your wits by images of New Yorkers being eaten alive by monsters and, at the very same time, you can yourself be eaten alive. That's what happened to several cinemagoers last month at the AMC Empire 25 in Times Square, and, again, at the AMC theatre in Harlem.

The monsters in question may lack the muscle structure of King Kong or the fire-breathing capacity of The Beast, but boy do they bite. Cimex lectularius, the common bedbug, is on the march, steadily extending its reign of terror across the five boroughs and onwards to cities across America.

The invasion has already claimed some of the biggest names in the city. Last month, the mammoth Niketown store on 57th Street was shuttered after bedbugs were discovered, and the New York headquarters of Google was also forced to admit it had an infestation after one of its employees Tweeted on the subject. "Jeepers," she posted, "I am not immune to the bedbug panic. Bedbugs have been found at work." (The Twitter feed rapidly disappeared.)

Bloomingdale's also had a visitation, though, being Bloomingdale's and a cut above the rest, the store made clear it had found just one insect in its 59th Street store, which it dispatched post-haste. The fourth floor of the Wall Street Journal's Sixth Avenue headquarters was also struck. The Guardian offices in 27th street have so far remained delightfully free of the blighters, though as I'm typing this I appear to be breaking out in psychosomatic itches.

Earlier victims of the epidemic include Abercrombie & Fitch, teen's clothing store Hollister, Victoria's Secret, posh Manhattan condos, Broadway theatres, the headquarters of the chief Manhattan prosecutor – no chance for a plea bargain there – and, in a neat link back to King Kong, the Empire State Building. The problem has got so bad over the last 12 months, with some 24,000 recorded complaints of infestation, that mayor Michael Bloomberg has set up a bedbug advisory board and is soon to appoint a bedbug tsar. 8)

It's all very New York. One of the great modernist cities, where people from around the world congregate to share in its energy and lust for new thinking, is in the grip of an epidemic of wingless, flightless, grubby insects. And the results are not pretty.

Here's what happened to Annie Weinstock, who works for the Institute for Transportation and Development Policy in New York. In May, she returned from a year's trip to Africa and, after a few weeks sleeping on her sister's couch, found an apartment to rent in Brooklyn.

At 2am on her first night in the new flat she woke up. (Health warning: If you are phobic to insects, you may find the next bit distressing. Please ensure you are seated before reading on.)

What woke Weinstock up was that she could hear something moving around in her ear. Yes, a bedbug in her ear! "I couldn't actually feel anything because they are so light, but I could hear it jumping around." :shock:

It doesn't get any better.

"I put on the light and I immediately saw something in the bed, I smashed it and there was blood everywhere!"

Weinstock retracted that statement as soon as she had made it on the grounds that it was exaggeration. There wasn't, she corrected herself, "blood everywhere", but there was a red stain about the size of a dime where the bedbug had been, though I'm not sure that's much of an improvement.

Without even searching she could see two or three other bedbugs on the bed. "They were very big because they were bloated with my blood."

So what did she do?

"I freaked out."

She left the bedroom and spent the rest of a fitful night in the living room. Next morning she had another look at the bed and there were at least seven bedbugs on it. She called an extermination company and they found the insects all over the apartment: in and under the bed, in the closet, in the curtains.

etc...

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2010/oc ... d-new-york

Little blighters have been boldly biting for a long time.

Bedbugs are more than just the sneaky appleseed-size blood suckers that have made travelers paranoid about their hotel beds.

About 100 species, some living deep inside caves that humans rarely enter, plague bats and birds. Now, scientists have used DNA from more than 30 species to create the first bedbug family tree, and it is full of surprises: For example, the insects are far more ancient than previously thought, dating back to the time of the dinosaurs. And even though researchers can’t say what creature was the lucky recipient of the first bedbug bite, they now know that at least three different kinds came to love human blood over time.

Scientists have recently made progress detailing the evolutionary histories of insects like stink bugs, kissing bugs, and assassin bugs, says Christiane Weirauch, a systematic entomologist at the University of California, Riverside, who was not involved in the new study. But “with bedbugs we have not done too well.” Many species are parasites of bats, and researchers had long assumed that these mammals were their first victims. But bat bedbug species are hard to collect: Many are never found except in the depths of caves where bats roost. “You don’t know how difficult it is to get some of these bedbug species,” Weirauch laments.

https://www.sciencemag.org/news/201...ly_2019-05-16&et_rid=394299689&et_cid=2819995

Just saw this; https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-48431612

Edit to Add:

A speeding driver in Germany was saved from a €105 (£93) fine when a snow-white dove interceded on his behalf.

NOTE: Blind links are poor form, discouraged, and subject to removal. If a news item is worth linking, please provide some clue as to what's on the other side of the link.

(and yes - I haven't had my morning coffee yet ...)

... Or simply quote / excerpt the story, as Ascalon did elsewhere:

https://forums.forteana.org/index.php?threads/fortean-headlines.7590/post-1863487

Last edited by a moderator:
It clearly responded badly to what it smelled. See those ears come out? Perhaps the poacher who took its daddy's tusks was wearing the same cologne as the game operator.

Trouble bruin.

The rise of smart doorbells has led to a host of surprising sights being caught on camera – including a striking number of bears making themselves at home in people’s gardens.

Ring.com, which manufactures doorbells with cameras inside for home security, has released a number of clips showing sightings of the animals in yards across America.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/examv...at-home-in-gardens-across-america-928102.html

Trouble bruin.

The rise of smart doorbells has led to a host of surprising sights being caught on camera – including a striking number of bears making themselves at home in people’s gardens.

Ring.com, which manufactures doorbells with cameras inside for home security, has released a number of clips showing sightings of the animals in yards across America.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/examv...at-home-in-gardens-across-america-928102.html
Not a new thing. Bears are everywhere. They get into the bird feeders, the beehives, the garbage, and sometimes cabins and cars. People have encroached upon the woods and bears eat anything. So... inevitable.

What is going on here?
1) did the woman get sloshed and hurriedly came up with this as an explanation as to where the wine went?
2) does the alligator have an inexplicable penchant for Cabernet Sauvignon?
3) is it all a gritty reboot of The Tiger Who Came To Tea?

Huge Alligator Smashes Window, Breaks Into Wonan's Home And Drinks Her Wine.
The Metro? Really. Here is a local source. There are reasons.
http://www.tampabay.com/florida/201...ator-busts-through-window-of-clearwater-home/

Meet the mayor of Idyllwild California

The golden retriever, whose full name is Maximus Mighty-Dog Mueller II, has been mayor of the Southern California town since 2014. But he’s actually the second dog to be elected for the town’s highest office since Mayor Max I in 2012, when Idyllwild first elected a canine.

As for his official duties, in addition to attending special town events, Max II can typically be found on the weekends in the back of his pickup truck, ready to meet as many of his constituents as possible.

Mayor Max II’s ultimate goal is to help make the world a better place. “In his heart, he would like to see peace on Earth in his lifetime,”

agnwexg_700b.jpg

His security team

aWY5X2x_700b.jpg

I know this is Southern California, but how do they get any laws passed with a dog with no concept of its position of authority leading them? Or is this mayor role purely nominal?

Bear breaks into house, sleeps in closet
bear.jpg

A homeowner in Missoula County, Montana recently returned home to find a rather unwelcome guest.
Deputies were alerted to the unexpected intrusion after a black bear was found to have made its way into the house before somehow locking the door behind it from the inside.

According to reports, the curious animal, which had managed to gain access through an unlocked laundry room, had climbed in to a closet and made itself at home on the top shelf.
https://www.unexplained-mysteries.com/news/328635/bear-breaks-into-house-sleeps-in-closet

Back