• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Digging Up Threads Of Fortean Excellence!

That's one of my favourite threads on here! Was the "Muppet Dream" preserved on it, anyone remember that one?

There never was a thread dedicated to the Muppet Dream story, though it was mentioned in several different places over the years.

The Muppet Dream story originated on the alt.folklore.ghost-stories Usenet newsgroup back in the early 1990s. The original post can be accessed via the Wayback Machine:

Muppet Dream
Newsgroups: alt.folklore.ghost-stories
Subject: A Television Tale o' Terror.
Date: Fri, 19 Aug 1994 04:01:42 GMT

https://web.archive.org/web/19980125122107/http://ghosts.org/stories/tales/muppet-dream.html

Marvellous! Thanks for finding it again - but maybe linking to it in the TV weirdness thread might be a good idea, for posterity?

Marvellous! Thanks for finding it again - but maybe linking to it in the TV weirdness thread might be a good idea, for posterity?

Easy for you to say ... :roll:

All posted links to the Muppet Dream are dead / obsolete. They've all been replaced with a link to the original Muppet Dream story from Usenet.

Easy for you to say ... :roll:

All posted links to the Muppet Dream are dead / obsolete. They've all been replaced with a link to the original Muppet Dream story from Usenet.

Wow, I just meant add a post with the link to the end of the thread! Above and beyond the call of duty, as ever, sir!

This one is great:
https://forums.forteana.org/index.php?threads/the-box-of-crazy.54583/

And also:

1629214762005.png 1629214838319.png

There are some seriously crazy threads on'ere, especially from the very early days.

How about we have a dig around the oldest threads and find some mind-blowing stuff to share?

There are some threads that are only a few posts long, or that had no replies at all, which are WELL worth another look. The Mods did a sterling job of moving everything here from the old Board so we should really take advantage by exploring all that juicy Forteana.

As a random example, here is a very weird thread from 2003, called 'A Helping Hand?'

Beautifully written, it describes an incident when a pick-up truck crashed off a desert road. Nobody was hurt but the occupants couldn't move the vehicle and decided to telepathically summon help from any passing flying saucers.

You won't believe what happened next! :alien:

;)

Highly recommended. I can't understand why it had no replies.
Back then, when the Board was new, you had to submit an account of your experience for consideration for 'publication' on the Board as if it were going into the magazine. Perhaps people didn't feel happy about discussing something being seen through this filter.
In the early days on here, was it like how I picture it? Ie the same way I compare my great grandads school days in the early 1900s to mine in the latter half of the century? A good beating every now and then followed by a damn good rogering by the older chaps?

In the early days on here, was it like how I picture it? Ie the same way I compare my great grandads school days in the early 1900s to mine in the latter half of the century? A good beating every now and then followed by a damn good rogering by the older chaps?
Never did me any 'arm.

I am painfully aware that since the rehosting of the forum, almost all of the links on the first three pages of this helpful thread need repairing.

We shall start work as soon as time allows.

As a stop-gap measure, @EnolaGaia has provided instructions for how to 'covert' old-style links to new ones:

Step 2: Copy the Thread's or Post's ID number into a generic URL template

For Threads:

forums.forteana.org/index.php?threads/NNNN/

(Where NNNN = the known / cited thread ID)

For example, the thread at the link I have posted below has a thread ID of 69869.

In the meantime, here is a more recent candidate for an excellent read.

There Is Something In The Woods:
https://forums.forteana.org/index.php?threads/there-is-something-in-the-woods.69869/

Last edited:
Back