• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Doctor Who [Spoilers]

I just saw a Darlek today, it was driving through central Hull! :shock:

Actually it was a novelty Darlek shaped car made as a publicity stunt by a garage. I wish I had had my camera. :(

excellent idea, seriously cool monsters, but ruined by concentrating too much on Rose and her family within the 45 minutes. This one would have been more suited to being a multiple episode story, and featuring more of the monsters. It was an interesting version of what would happen if time travellers messed with past events though.

The "are the Dr and Rose at it" references are getting boring now though.

jima said:
excellent idea, seriously cool monsters... The "are the Dr and Rose at it" references are getting boring now though.

I could not agree more.

Good ep, great ending but needed another plot to dilute the family shmamily stuff. The Doctor has always had flibetty jibbets, the script guys just need to move on!

There was a touch of the Railway Children about tonight's episode, I liked it, but I think it's getting so that the programme should be renamed "Rose".

GNC said:
I think it's getting so that the programme should be renamed "Rose".
This makes sense if the series was written with the knowledge that Rose would be in the next series, but the 9th Doctor wasn't. Rose will be the constant between this series and the next. No doubt we can then focus on her coming to terms with the fact that the Doctor is no longer the person she got into the TARDIS with.

Tonight's episode reminded me of the Big Finish 8th Doctor audio "Storm Warning". That had some sort of flying creature brought about by the temporal anomoly of Charley surviving the R101 crash.

jima said:
excellent idea, seriously cool monsters, but ruined by concentrating too much on Rose and her family within the 45 minutes. This one would have been more suited to being a multiple episode story, and featuring more of the monsters. It was an interesting version of what would happen if time travellers messed with past events though.
I couldn't disagree more!

I'm a cynical old bastard, and the time-travel paradox stuff is old hat to me, but I must admit this episode almost had me blubbing!

Because it was well done; acting, SFX, and general presentation were all excellent.
(OK, contrived, but this is FICTION, right? And damn good fiction too!)

Rose's family story was crucial to this.

(The monsters were just a sideshow!)

I agree about Rose's family story being important, but they tried to cram too much into one episode when perhaps it could have been developed more over two episodes.

I agree with Rynner. The monsters, as is often so, were the least convincing aspect of the episode. Thought it was quite moving. Piper is actually acting Eccleston (on auto-pilot) off the screen and I never thought i would think that before it all started.

She's better looking too.

-

I thought this was an excellent episode.

I forgot a couple of times that I was actually watching Doctor Who!!! A very moving story.

FFS.. I'm having to swallow my words right now. This episode had me blubbering like the weepiest gnome who's lost his stilts in the history of "dullards affected by TV".

Fair dos this time round. It touched upon that thing we've all thought of, but never even considered as a reality.

Yes, it was a good one - I think there must have been something in my eye toward the end cos I missed the last few moments. ;)

But the acid test is that my wee lad was not enthralled by it all the way through. And he, ladies and gentlemen of the jury, is target.

:D

I guess some of the debate comes down to how much each of us likes the character & portrayal of Rose. I do like the way that most people just write Ecklescake off though.

Mr Snowman said:
FFS.. I'm having to swallow my words right now. This episode had me blubbering like the weepiest spaz in the history of "dullards affected by TV".
Anyone out there with cerebral palsy (palsied dullards especially welcome) care to comment about Dr Who making them particularly lacrymose?

It's the damnedest thing: I had a sudden resurgence of hay fever at about twenty to eight last night :). Very odd.

stu neville said:
Anyone out there with cerebral palsy (palsied dullards especially welcome) care to comment about Dr Who making them particularly lacrymose?

It's the damnedest thing: I had a sudden resurgence of hay fever at about twenty to eight last night :). Very odd.
Judging by the remarks on the link Hook gave, it's not only us FTers who got weepy!

stu neville said:
Mr Snowman said:
FFS.. I'm having to swallow my words right now. This episode had me blubbering like the weepiest spaz in the history of "dullards affected by TV".

:oops: :oops: :oops: :headbutt:

I think my sober comparison reads better than my drunken one.. hope I didn't offend anyone.. SORRY! :oops:

rynner said:
... not only us FTers who got weepy!

Weepy, weepy? Weepy!

:twisted:

I wasnt weepy, I have a rare condition where my tear ducts erupt in response to emotional stimuli! Thats what it is, yeah. A conditon. :)

:oops:

rynner said:
I'm a cynical old bastard, and the time-travel paradox stuff is old hat to me, but I must admit this episode almost had me blubbing!

Because it was well done; acting, SFX, and general presentation were all excellent.
Gotta agree. :D

After I saw the trailer last week, I thought, "Oh crap, it'll be a time anomaly/paradox ep. by the numbers: Rose saves dad, monsters come to eat the paradox, dad figures it out and kills himself to save Rose and everyone else. Ho hum." :roll:

Then I actually watched the ep., and I was right. The plot line I figured they'd use was what they used.

Except that it wasn't.

Cornell (last night's writer) took a blindingly obvious, banal and cliched story idea and made me like it. Made it live and breath. Made me care.

Nice one. :D

Ugh, my head hurts with all this Bad Wolf hype.

Got to say though, I'm really enjoying the series so far. So many questions to get answered, hopefully, in the season finale.

Now for a random thought:

The young lad in the Dalek episode seemed to be a devious little piece of work. He had access to all the stuff going on in the base, including the Dalek itself.
He showed his true colours in the following episode when he had the chip implanted into his head and tried to get information back to his own time. Yes, the info was destroyed by the Doctor, but with the Time War leaving scars and eddies in the STC that things can slip through (artifacts etc.) I can't help wondering if we've seen the last of the boy with a hole in the middle of his forehead.

• * Dalek knolledge

* Intelligent

* Devious

*Hole in forehead

Reminds me of someone else..... ;)

WISQ2000 said:
  • * Dalek knolledge

* Intelligent

* Devious

*Hole in forehead

Reminds me of someone else..... ;)

Yep, Davros, it's come up on sites like Outpost Gallifrey, and I think the answer is no way. It's far too fannish.

Timble said:
... I think the answer is no way. It's far too fannish.

Dont wright it off, they are letting some of the fans in now. :) it would make a great loop.

Soong said:
Timble said:

Dont wright it off, they are letting some of the fans in now. :) it would make a great loop.

you mean... fans ideas will/might be used? :shock:

Soong said:
Timble said:

But, then Adam/Davros, would have known about the Doctor and the Tardis, before they met in Genesis of the Daleks, which was centuries before the first meeting of the Doctor and the Daleks, on Skaro, back in 1963. Now, that would cause some complicated time paradoxes.

I do hope not. I do get a bit fed up with all the incestuous-cannibalism, as they keep on chewing over the same stuff and regurgitating it, to recycle it again. How many times do we need to have reincarnations of the Master, Davros and etc. ?

More new enemies and challenges, please! :)

AndroMan said:
...How many times do we need to have reincarnations of the Master, Davros and etc. ?...

I was looking forward to seeing The Master again. ;)

The pet android Master in the animated one with Richard E Grant's camp and tortured version was cool. :twisted:

Soong said:
I was looking forward to seeing The Master again. ;)

You may have a wait. Judging from RTD's comments after Saturday's ep, there are no immediate plans to bring The Master back.

...not unless they can give him a beleivable reason for being evil instead of relying on the circular logic of 'he's the villain so he has to be evil' of yore.

Zygon said:
...not unless they can give him a beleivable reason for being evil ...

You mean the baddies in DW are now all method characters? That cant be right. Next, you will be suggesting the T.A.R.D.I.S is not made of carboard!

:shock:

I noticed a while back that people were rushing DVDs out and I saw an ad in the Garudian for the latest series already. They are releasing them three episodes at a time - I suppose not letting the dust settles means they can head off some of the downloading piracy and strike while the iron is hot, etc.

Series 1: Volume 1 is already available:
www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B0009 ... ntmagaz-21

Series 1: Volume 2 is available to preorder (out in June):

Series 1: The complete boxset is also up for preordering (out in November):

You can also get a CD of "Doctor Who", Project Who?
www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/05635 ... ntmagaz-21

My question (and it may have been addressed earlier) is why is this being called Series 1?

Revisionism running rampant?

Emperor said:
My question (and it may have been addressed earlier) is why is this being called Series 1?

Revisionism running rampant?

is it a Madness of king George thing, i.e. if you give it it's actuall series number people will get confused or wonder what happened to the earlier series, either that or buy the older ones see the high quality of the sets and special effects and decide Dr Who isn't for them

Zygon said:

You may have a wait. Judging from RTD's comments after Saturday's ep, there are no immediate plans to bring The Master back.

...not unless they can give him a beleivable reason for being evil instead of relying on the circular logic of 'he's the villain so he has to be evil' of yore.
Roger Delgado's Master was best. You got the distinct impression from his character that he was evil, because it was fun and that he thoroughly enjoyed it, because he was so good at it!

:)

Re the DVD release out so soon. This may actually backfire as I know at least one person in America has ordered the Region 2 disc so they can see the new ones. If that catches on the Beeb may find it hard too sell too the US networks ?

Oh and totally agree Androman - Delgardo was the biz :)

Back