• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Doctor Who [Spoilers]

Cujo said:
I've been a Dr Who fan since I was 3 (John Pertwee, circa 'Carnivale of the Monsters') and I still say that Ace was the best ever assistant.

And martydee questions my taste...:)

Nope. Romana (the second one, I mean, played by Lalla Ward). Possibly the Nyssa/Tegan duo. With honourable mentions, of course, going to our robotic canine brother, K-9.

Polterdog.

P. S. Jo, Leela, and Turlough, *just* having missed the cut...

You're all mad.
The best assistant was tits, I mean Peri.

Sarah Jane Smith was my favourite too.

I liked Romana I (Mary Tamm) as well.

They've reached the Key to Time episodes in the repeats here, and I must say Mary Tamm is quite good, but I still have a fondness for Lalla Ward.

And as practical assistants go, Leela is pretty hard to beat. I mean this is a woman who basically shot first and asked questions later. I was kind of upset when the Doctor made her stop using the Janus thorns. And she was resourceful too. She could be left to her own devices, and end up doing more damage to the opposition than any of the other assistants, including either Romana.

And of course, a special dishonourable mention must go to the most hated assistant of all time: Adric. I saw the DVD of Earthshock (the one where Adric dies) in a shop the other day. It has Matthew Waterhouse on the commentary track as well. I bet that's interesting to listen to. "Oh yes, it was quite clear at this stage that the audience hated me so much, they were demanding my blood."

Ooh, a Rupert Murdoch monster in tonight's episode! Nice to see the BBC getting their own back for a change. Thought Simon Pegg was nicely smarmy as the baddie, but not really the best so far.

And according to the trailer, in next week's episode, Rose finally screams - she wouldn't be a proper assistant without doing that.

GNC said:
Ooh, a Rupert Murdoch monster in tonight's episode! Nice to see the BBC getting their own back for a change. Thought Simon Pegg was nicely smarmy as the baddie, but not really the best so far.

I had heard he had to have 20 odd takes on that complex line and I noticed they still faded it out suggesting he may never have got it.

Simon Pegg fluffs his Doctor Who lines 20 times

May 5, 2005, 1:28:23
Simon Pegg

Simon Pegg has confessed he was left tongue-tied during filming of the next episode of Doctor Who - fluffing one line 20 times.

The 'Spaced' star, who plays mysterious villain The Editor in the sci-fi show, was left red-faced after struggling to say "The Mighty Jagrafess of the Holy Hadrojassic Maxarodenfoe".

He said: "It is without question the toughest line I have ever been given to say.

"I could sense everyone's buttocks clenching every time we got to shooting that bit. But I could feel everyone willing me to get it right."

Source

Well, I Thoroughly enjoyed tonight's episode!

Yes. The Murdoch Empire, from the inside! Who said, satire was dead? :D

I always had a 'thing' about Lyssa - couldn't be bothered with the programme but Lyssa ...

I think there were two K9s, one was given to Leela when she left, but at the end of the episode the Doctor is seen unpacking a new one and grinning at the camera, when we all know Tom Baker would rather have been gnashing his teeth with frustration.

Romana took a K-9 into E-space at the end of Warriors Gate as well.

GNC said:
I think there were two K9s, one was given to Leela when she left, but at the end of the episode the Doctor is seen unpacking a new one and grinning at the camera, when we all know Tom Baker would rather have been gnashing his teeth with frustration.
Actually, there were 3. Unless you don't want to consider K-9 and Friends as part of the canon.

anome said:
GNC said:
Actually, there were 3. Unless you don't want to consider K-9 and Friends as part of the canon.

What, with that superb theme tune? How could it not count?

anome said:
GNC said:
Unless you don't want to consider K-9 and Friends as part of the canon.

:eek!!!!: Please don't start the canon thing. The vehemence with which it's argued at places like Outpost Gallifrey is a bit worrying. ;)

Or it could have been the same one k-9 but being moved around time...

How can anyone amass so much information about one TV programme, and more worryingly, be able to remember it at will? I can barely remember what happened in Doctor Who last week, never mind twenty years ago.

I've watched the thing since I was 8 in 1963, when it first started.

The worrying thing is I remember vast amounts of TV trivia, but have forgotten most of the maths I ever learned.

Another idea for an episode:

Kate O'Mara regenerates into Amanda Redman for the new series, then teams up with her old self to take on The Doctor.

Episode Title:

The Two Ranis

:oops: Sorry, that is such a bad and obscure pun, but ... I just couldn't not post it.

Austen said:
Kate O'Mara regenerates into Amanda Redman for the new series, then teams up with her old self to take on The Doctor.
One problem here and one that I clocked when watching multiple timelord stories before:
Would the regenerated time-lord not have the memories of the earlier incarnation and therefore have knowledge of what was going to happen?

Red_Dalek said:
One problem here and one that I clocked when watching multiple timelord stories before:
Would the regenerated time-lord not have the memories of the earlier incarnation and therefore have knowledge of what was going to happen?

I see the logic of the problem.

I wonder, if a multiple Doctor episode was done now, would CGI be used for some of the incarnations who had passed on/aged out of all recognition? And how many Doctors would we have?

I suppose you could come up with a getout clause where they've all come from slightly different timelines, or perhaps they forget loads of stuff when they regenerate.

Good point though...

BlackRiverFalls said:
I suppose you could come up with a getout clause where they've all come from slightly different timelines, or perhaps they forget loads of stuff when they regenerate.

Good point though...
According to the trailer for the next prog, apparently you have to be really careful that you don't interfer with time and change it. So, multiple timelines seem to be out, in the Doctor's Universe. You seem to be able to interfere with time, providing it happens in your present and that you don't know what history might have existed otherwise. So it's a very subjective Universe, by the looks of it.

The fact that the Doctor's memories get a good shake up when he regenerates is the most probable explanation.

BlackRiverFalls said:

iirc, they did. having most of the still living (the 1st dr was played by a look-a-like. tom baker and lalla(?) having cameos) drs on gallifrey.

cos a different time lord (the chancelor?) wanted to become inmortal and it also involved the tomb of rasalan(sp?). was it a one off episode?

razorblimp said:
How can anyone amass so much information about one TV programme, and more worryingly, be able to remember it at will? I can barely remember what happened in Doctor Who last week, never mind twenty years ago.
Two words - Star Trek.
Trust me - I enjoyed the series and films, attended many conventions and have even reviewed/played the role-playing games; given a believable(?) and exciting situation, there's always someone with too much intelligence and too much time on their hands willing to deconstruct any television show, assuming a continuity or script error is a personal affront!

Back