• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Doctor Who [Spoilers]

Next season, I'd like to see the Master return. And I'd like to see a story arc which involves the Master criss-crossing time, creating paradoxes, and thereby tearing great big holes in the continuum to release the reapers, with the Doctor in hot pursuit.

Why?

Because the Master has found a way to control the Reapers. He has also approached the Sycorax high command with news of a certain treacherous civilisation which exists upon the third planet orbiting a rather unremarkable star. Thus we get set for a season finale where the Master takes command of a combined Sycorax and Reaper army to invade the Earth.

And you know what would be great?

That the Master found some way to hook up his Tardis to the Sycorax warships, thus sending them back to the dawn of human civilisation (because, er, they would be easier to conquer being so primitive, or something) with the Doctor and some friendly aliens (with - how shall we say, 'angelic' ships) also travelling back to confront him.

A huge battle takes place in the upper atmosphere of Earth. A Sumerian traveller watches in the desert, and mumbles something which the subtitles translate as being about a 'war in heaven'.

Would make a damn fine Crimbo special, that's all I can say.

God, I'm such a fanboy.

barfing_pumpkin said:
Next season, I'd like to see the Master return. ...
No. Not the Master. :(

No.No.No.No.No.No.No.No.No.No.No.No.No.No.No.No.

That was all done to death decades ago and one of the main reasons that Doctor Who: the Movie disappeared up its own bottom (sorry! I mean 'Eye of Harmony'!).

Unless, of course it was the Master out of Buffy tVS: Season 1. That, at least, would be funny. Everybody chasing around after one Master, when it turns out to be the other.

Pietro_Mercurios said:
barfing_pumpkin said:
Next season, I'd like to see the Master return. ...
No. Not the Master. :(

No.No.No.No.No.No.No.No...etc
Agreed. At least, not until Roger Delgado stops being dead.

Right, that's quite enough Master-baiting.

William Hartnell was the first to die then Richard Hurndall followed by Patrick Troughton and then Jon Pertwee - in fact it was the tenth anniversary of JP's death this weekend just gone.

Tom Baker has had his tombstone for ages - he did not have it carved - it already had his name on it and he bought it.

Gordon

I have to own up to only managing to catch one episode of this series so far :(

I have "must watch more Dr Who" down on my to do list ;)

I'd like to see dinosaurs... don't know why but it'd be fun to have the Dr and some dinos.

I too have wathc more Dr Who on my to do list but it has nothing to do with having missed any.

They did dinosaurs once. God help us. I know they could do dinosaurs a lot better now but it would mean they were on Earth AGAIN!

Even when they go to differetn planets they turn out to be alternate versions of Earth or called New Earth!

Gordon

You must have loathed the Pertwee run, Gordon.

I was impressed that the recent episodes managed to avoid a familiar character wearing an eyepatch. </fanboy>

Doctor_Occupant said:
You must have loathed the Pertwee run, Gordon.

I was impressed that the recent episodes managed to avoid a familiar character wearing an eyepatch. </fanboy>

I was young - I didn't know any better and at least they came up with an excuse for everything being on Earth!

Hmm - actually an eyepatch appearance on a poster in the corner of the screen would have been cool! He wants to do a cameo - something along the lines of him now being Lord Lethbridge Stewart and just sleeping in an armchair as the Dr rushes past...

Gordon

Yes - Bring Back Alien Worlds.

And I wouldn't mind a bubble-wrap monster, just for old time's sake ;)

But enough of this Terra-centric clap-trap! Let's go somewhere - anywhere. Raxacoricophalipatorius even!

And tell Rose to floss more often, and she won't have to keep licking her teeth! I'm sure there are better uses for tongues....

Ooooo.....I really shouldn't have said that.... :twisted:

Good news, everyone! (or is that the wrong show?)

After this week's episode, the week following the Doctor and Rose travel to an alien world where they get trapped or something! Let's hope it resembles an old quarry for true faithfulness.

gncxx said:
Let's hope it resembles an old quarry for true faithfulness.

Apparently part of it ss shot in a quarry, but at night so it's not so obvious.

BTW other planets do look like quarries, the pictures from the Mars rovers for example.

Indeed. Other planets do look like quarries. Blake's 7 frequently found themselves on a quarry world. And if you can't believe them...then....

But what's wrong with the Master? Look, forget Anthony Ainley's overacting, and Eric Roberts being, er, Eric Roberts. Find a decent actor - preferably of the old theatre school, for added gravitas - and let him play this character as we always knew he should be played: a subtle, ruthless mephistolean charmer, with an INSANELY COOL morphing tardis; a real bad-boy timelord who Rose will probably end up fancying a bit.

Thing is, the Master is the only individual (rather than cultural, like the Daleks or Cybermen) arch-enemy the Doctor has. So get them both embroiled in a nasty, bitter, deeply-personal battle; two decadent old gods, whose time and space-spanning war should leave a hundred alien civilisations in peril. I mean, c'mon - what other recurring individual enemy is there? Cassandra? The lady Slitheen?

Okay, I know they're supposed to be kind of ... dead, but any arch-enemy worth his or her salt always finds a way to come back.

BTW - if anyone's worried about Dr. Who turning into a furturistic take on Eastenders, then I'd recommend NOT clamouring for those alien Phil-&-Grant lookalikes, the Sontarans.

Well.....a bit old, but Christopher Lee for the Master! Maybe Gary Oldman?

barfing_pumpkin said:
But what's wrong with the Master? ...
The Jon Pertwee years. Week after week, confined to Earth and week after week, fighting the Master.

Don't get me wrong, Roger Delgado was great and in at least one of the best Doctor Who series ever, Doctor Who and the Daemons, but week after week, like Tom & Jerry.

Done to death. :(

Ive just watched the classic episodes, the three Doctors in which the Time Lords are still alive. The question then, when did they die?

Wahay! 100 pages!

Still, what's a century to a Time Lord? 8)

Blake's Seven - sheer class :D

I've got a tape of a radio show - Seventh Crown I think - where they teleport down to a planet, and a character says, "It looks like a disused quarry!" :lol:

I thought Anthony Stewart-Head would have made a good Master.

The casting I would have loved to see...

Gary Oldman, full of badboy swagger and demented charm playing one timelord.

Kenneth Brannagh, terribly earnest and honest and forthright, playing another.

Only half way through do we realise that Oldman's character is The Doctor and Brannagh's is The Master.

- because Timelords are supposed to demonstrate different personality traits when they regenerate.

I thought Piper was on for Season Three, if it shows up?

Ravenstone said:

I thought Anthony Stewart-Head would have made a good Master.
That's a point.

After Roger Delgado, the best Master, without doubt, was Jonathan Pryce in the Comic relief spoof. He was excellent. :)

Bistoinferno said:
Ive just watched the classic episodes, the three Doctors in which the Time Lords are still alive. The question then, when did they die?
William Hartnell : 23rd April 1975 (poss April 24th?)
Patrick Troughton : 28th March 1987
Jon Pertwee : 20th May 1996

Worryingly, this does suggest that Doctors die once every ten years, and it's now ten years and five days since JP died. Maybe Tom Baker ought to stay indoors today, in case the May 25th asteroid turns out to be real!

Extra note for anyone who cares:
Richard Hurndall, who played the first Doctor in The Five Doctors, died 13th April 1984, which means that both of the first Doctors died before the second one. Peter Cushing, who I have a very hard time accepting as a "real" Doctor, died on 11th August 1994. But his Doctor was an English scientist, not a Time Lord, even though the films copied wholesale two of the Hartnell Dalek stories.

Gary Oldman, full of badboy swagger and demented charm playing one timelord.

Kenneth Brannagh, terribly earnest and honest and forthright, playing another.

Only half way through do we realise that Oldman's character is The Doctor and Brannagh's is The Master.

In the olden days, with the Pertwee/ Delgado days, the original plan was to reveal that the Doctor and the Master were, in fact, the same person- but Delgado dying put paid to that one.

The Jon Pertwee years. Week after week, confined to Earth and week after week, fighting the Master.

But when was that? Late sixties, early seventies? It was a long time ago. No, I say that the time is right to bring the Master back.

I mean, look at 'Dalek' from last season. Admittedly, the Daleks were imprinted on the public conciousness in a way that the Master never was, but even so - most people regarded them as a pretty clunky, cheesy enemy for the Doctor to have, until we saw that one unleashed on a bunch of gun-toting Americans and realised just what badasses they were.

When it comes down to it, a good story - and 'Dalek' remains an excellent example - will always serve its characters well. Bring back the Master, get some good scripts together, and I reckon it'll be well worth seeing.

fquake said:
In the olden days, with the Pertwee/ Delgado days, the original plan was to reveal that the Doctor and the Master were, in fact, the same person- but Delgado dying put paid to that one.

The version I heard was that they were going to turn out to be brothers. (They hadn't acquired all the Gallifrey baggage at the time so this was entirely feasible).

As PM said Jonathan Price was excellent as the Master in the Comic Relief spoof, Alan Rickman would be another good choice.

If they did bring him back, perhaps the way to do it would be so that everyone but the Doctor thinks he's a good guy...

The version I heard was that they were going to turn out to be brothers. (They hadn't acquired all the Gallifrey baggage at the time so this was entirely feasible).

Ohhh, that might have been it!
It's been a while since I read Doctor Who magazine!

Alan Rickman? Yeah, but no. After the Potter series I'd imagine he'd fear typecasting.

Speaking of missing information and The Master.

Survival. Towards the end of the story, the Master is supposed to reveal that although the he and the Doctor are supposed to be old school chums/rivals, he has no idea who the Doctor really is and no memory of him 'at school'.

Anyway, if we must bring back The Master I vote for a radical change and casting that goes against the 'stylish villain' type. My personal choice? Pick someone touted as playing The Doctor.

As long as no one suggests making the Master a woman...

Back