• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Doctor Who [Spoilers]

Well, I enjoyed it. I'm very good at suspending my critical faculties for a spot of Xmas Who!

Very civilized of BBC America to broadcast it at the same time as the Real Blighty BBC, too!

Watched an old one today, with a guest appearance by Agatha Christie.
They didn't dare kill her off! :lol:

Pietro_Mercurios said:
Very silly Crimbo special. :lol:

And, I'm not sure about the distinct possibility that the Doctor is slowly transmogrifying into Tommy Cooper.

Not sure, at alll! :shock:
It was my first thought when he put the Fez on.

Anome_ said:
Pietro_Mercurios said:
Very silly Crimbo special. :lol:

And, I'm not sure about the distinct possibility that the Doctor is slowly transmogrifying into Tommy Cooper.

Not sure, at alll! :shock:
It was my first thought when he put the Fez on.

As any fule (and regular Doctor watcher) kno, fezes are cool.

BlackRiverFalls said:
You mean the real one, or an actress playing her alongside a giant wasp?

The wasp's acting was pretty good.

Well, I found that rather disappointing, Moffat really is losing his touch. I guess he just can't cope with producing the series AND writing a number of episodes per year.

Having said that, it was an improvement on the rubbish Xmas specials penned by ex Dr Who producer/writer Russell T Davies.

Pirates and....

....sea devils?

181808_10150144406079384_692164383_8074886_8140705_n.jpg

Source The Snu

Had this in an email from t'Grauniad -

From this Saturday we're offering all our readers an unmissable Doctor Who giveaway: new episodes from the BBC, available free with the Guardian and Observer, in audiobook format.

On Saturday, the current Doctor, Matt Smith, reads The Hounds of Artemis, and on Sunday, Arthur Darvill narrates The Ring of Steel. You'll be the first to hear Saturday's story, which won't be available elsewhere until May.

From Monday to Friday next week, Tom Baker reads the series Doctor Who: Hornets' Nest. Look out for your download code in the paper and get a new episode every day.

Collect all seven for free, from this Saturday with the Guardian and Observer.

The Ring of Steel, eh. :lol:

Ravenstone said:
gordonrutter said:
Yep indeed - 28th season of Dr Who Broadcast unless you want to count McGann as a whole season to himself!

I do believe I've said before that I try to block out the whole McGann experience and pretend it never happened.... ;)

Having just bought the David McGann Experience on dvd, I am quite looking forward to it! How bad can it be? Surely it can't be worse than the episode 42?

(And, yes, I have seen the Movie before, it was screened years ago on the ABC)

47Forteans said:
Ravenstone said:
gordonrutter said:
Yep indeed - 28th season of Dr Who Broadcast unless you want to count McGann as a whole season to himself!

I do believe I've said before that I try to block out the whole McGann experience and pretend it never happened.... ;)

Having just bought the David McGann Experience on dvd, I am quite looking forward to it! How bad can it be? Surely it can't be worse than the episode 42?

(And, yes, I have seen the Movie before, it was screened years ago on the ABC)
Who's David McGann ? :confused:

David's the one they don't talk about....

Yes, yes, I meant Paul McGann! :oops:

I was distracted by something shiny when I posted earlier...

BBC sued over Who first drew the evil Dalek mastermind Davros
By Chris Hastings
Last updated at 10:08 PM on 19th March 2011

Davros, the evil leader of the Daleks and one of Doctor Who’s most formidable opponents, has endured his fair share of intergalactic struggles.
But now the mutant megalomaniac is at the centre of a very different kind of battle here on Earth.

A lifelong Doctor Who fan claims he dreamt up the character when he was just 13, and is suing the BBC for breach of copyright.
Steven Clark, 51, says he invented Davros for a competition run by the now defunct TV Action magazine in 1972. Entrants were asked to create a comic-strip villain, and Mr Clark claims he invented the name Davros and sent in a drawing of the character along with a handwritten essay called The Genesis Of The Daleks: The Creation Of Davros.

His drawing – a pencil sketch coloured in with felt pens – showed a ‘half-man half-Dalek’ with an additional eye in the centre of his forehead, a headset, epaulettes, a withered left hand and finger-like switchgear on the Dalek base.

Father-of-three Mr Clark, from Ashford, Kent, has now launched High Court proceedings to try to prove the BBC and its commercial arm BBC Worldwide have been using the character without his permission for nearly four decades.
He is demanding the Corporation pay damages, or a sum equivalent to the profits generated from the character over the years. This could run into many thousands of pounds. :shock:

Doctor Who, which returned to BBC screens in 2005, is one of the Corporation’s top five most lucrative brands. Davros was resurrected for an acclaimed two-part special in 2008 and has since featured in a series of spin-off novels, audio books, computer games and even a stage play.

The character is so popular it is sold as toy figures, with remote-controlled models costing upwards of £20 each.

The magazine competition was run independently of the BBC programme but the judges included the then Doctor Who, Jon Pertwee, script editor Terrance Dicks and Barry Letts, the producer. Mr Clark, who says he kept handwritten copies of his entry, didn’t win the contest – which had a colour television as top prize – and heard nothing from the judging panel.

But three years later his disappointment turned to anger when he saw a brand new episode of Doctor Who called The Genesis Of The Daleks.
The episode, regarded as a classic by fans, introduced viewers to a new villain called Davros, but to Mr Clark the character looked almost identical to the one he had sketched.

The storyline, written by Terry Nation, did not mirror Mr Clark’s essay but it did include reference to other new characters called the Kaleds. Mr Clark, who is on sick leave from his job in the motor trade, insists these characters, whose name is an anagram of the word Daleks, were also in his competition entry.

A friend of Mr Clark said: ‘Steven was 16 when the episode was aired. He couldn’t believe his eyes when he saw his creation on screen. It was a mixture of emotions. He was excited, confused and angry.’

The teenager, who by this time was working in his local branch of Halfords, contacted solicitors but it went no further because he had lost the copies of the competition entry.
However, 20 years later, he found them hidden in a set of family encyclopedias. He wrongly believed too much time had passed for another claim, although over the years he has sent several letters to the BBC asserting his rights over the character.

Fans of Doctor Who, which has been on air since 1963, have always believed that Davros was the brainchild of the late Terry Nation, who invented the Daleks in the Sixties.
Experts believe that if Mr Clark can prove otherwise, he stands to earn tens of thousands of pounds in compensation. One legal source said: ‘He is asking for damages or a pound-for-pound equivalent for all the profits generated by the character since he was introduced to viewers in 1975. The likelihood is that he will go for whichever sum is the largest.’

Last year, BBC Worldwide identified the huge overseas success of Doctor Who as one of the reasons it had notched up record profits of £140 million.
Mr Clark said: ‘The money aspect of it is not my primary motivation. I am proud of the character I created and I just want my work to be recognised. It would be nice to be finally linked to the character after all this time.’
His lawyer Richard Kempner said: ‘If they used the drawing, it’s only fair that they acknowledge it.’

Terry Nation died in 1997. But Tim Hancock, agent for his estate, said he was aware of the claims and is to meet Nation’s widow Kate to search the family archives.
BBC Worldwide said: ‘We have received a claim from Mr Clark relating to matters from the Seventies.’

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/ar ... avros.html

Favourite bit:
"Fear me, I've killed hundreds of Time Lords."

"Fear me, I've killed all of them."

Yeah, I'm a sucker for the Doctor getting nasty.

About 37-38 seconds in, just before the eye looking through the keyhole, there's a very brief shot of what appears to be Rory and Amy in the old "coral" TARDIS.

I see they're doing the, 'look behind you, don't look behind you, don't look, don't stop looking', thing again.

Never mind the doctor, are those smilies doing what I think they're doing?

It's traditional to polish ones belt buckle when a new Doctor Who trailer comes out ;)

I don;t know about everyone else, but i'm excited. Um, by the trailer, not the smilies.

DougalLongfoot said:
About 37-38 seconds in, just before the eye looking through the keyhole, there's a very brief shot of what appears to be Rory and Amy in the old "coral" TARDIS.

Oooh; I hadn't noticed that! It does look like it!

BlackRiverFalls said:
Never mind the doctor, are those smilies doing what I think they're doing?

It's traditional to polish ones belt buckle when a new Doctor Who trailer comes out ;)

I don;t know about everyone else, but i'm excited. Um, by the trailer, not the smilies.

I'm sick with excitement (about new Who, not the smilies ;) )

Doctor Who: it's back – promising to be the scariest and darkest yet
Show runner Steven Moffat risks ire of fans with announcement involving fate of one of show's four main charactersJohn Plunkett The Guardian, Tuesday 5 April 2011 Article

Nearly 50 years after Doctor Who first appeared on BBC1, the Doctor's capacity for regeneration has known no bounds.
But it really will be the end of the line for one of the time travelling drama's lead characters when it returns for a new series later this month.
The question is, which one?

The programme's show runner Steven Moffat risked the ire of fans with a "spoiler" giving away that one of four characters – the Doctor, played by Matt Smith, his companion Amy Pond (Karen Gillan), her husband Rory Williams (Arthur Davill) or mysterious fellow time traveller River Song, played by former ER star Alex Kingston – will meet their doom.

"We're not lying, we're not cheating. One of those four people is going to die," Moffat told the new issue of Doctor Who magazine.
"The Doctor's darkest hour is coming. Shows like Doctor Who should have big colourful, memorable moments that make you go, 'What the hell?' Well, this is one of them.
"It's hard to create shock in Doctor Who when we've already blown up the universe a couple of times. What do you do next?"

Moffat said the first two episodes of the new series – which feature a mystery alien species known as the Silents – is the scariest opener to any Doctor Who series yet.
"You put the jokes in for the adults, and you make it scary to appeal to children. They absolutely rank the best Doctor Who episodes in order of frighteningness."

etc...

http://www.guardian.co.uk/tv-and-radio/ ... new-series

Back