• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Doctor Who [Spoilers]

I prefer the fan concept version too - although there isn't a lot between them.

I admit the new theme is very 80's in its presentation, but with better graphics! I kind of like it! Not sure what to make of the "Afterlife" theme that seems to be running as this years Bad Wolf/Torchwood/Harold Saxon type theme!

I'm still trying to work out what this Doctor's (musical) theme is. Murray Gold himself said he was sad to no longer be able to use I am the Doctor, but I haven't heard anything as striking as that for Capaldi. May have to wait to check the soundtrack album.

DrWhiteface said:
Not sure what to make of the "Afterlife" theme that seems to be running as this years Bad Wolf/Torchwood/Harold Saxon type theme!

Given previous season story arcs there's no way that by accident there was a character called Journey Blue and another called Danny Pink.

I can't work out the connection yet unless it's either snooker related or if the "afterlife" is somewhere over the rainbow.

Given previous season story arcs there's no way that by accident there was a character called Journey Blue and another called Danny Pink.

It's gonna end in a Reservoir Dogs style stand off. I'm disappointed with Mr Moffat, i thought that once RTD had gone we might get a bit of originality, but it seems that the formulaic fuckery is still lumbering on. By the end of the series, we'll have some sort or "end of the universe" scenario.

Think Capaldi might be the last Doctor before they shelve it for another 15-20 years :nah:

Now they mention it, Jenna Coleman does have a touch of the Olivia de Havilands about her. Anyway, after two angsty episodes, something to relax with tonight, a bit of fluff where two British icons meet. Plus Ben Miller as a Sheriff of Nottingham he was born to play on that evidence. Must say, I did hear the beheading had been edited out, but there were at least two applicable scenes.

That ending - does this mean Doctor Who is real after all?

Apparently one of the images shown of fictional Robin Hood's included one of Patrick Troughton when he played the part ;)

Strongest episode so far i think, but still patchy in places. Pulling out the block of masonry with the irons still in? really?

The Promised Land overarching thread is already getting tedious, but we all know where it's going for the season finale.

Wouldn't be overly shocked if Aunty Beeb "rested" it for a few years after Capaldi has fulfilled his contractual obligations.

I think it's been the weakest so far, which may be unfair for only 3 episodes in. As with Gatiss's other work, the opportunity for witty banter kind of over shadowed the plot, which was kind of weak. And the resolution to the confrontation was rather poor. Not clear how shooting an arrow at random into the spaceship was supposed to work like that.

Ben Miller was good, though. And the interrogation scene between him and Jenna was well done. And I did like the Doctor fighting with a spoon. The rest of it just left me kind of "meh".

Some of us older viewers were waiting for a link to the Golden Arrow boat train, but if there was one, I must have blinked and missed it!

On the whole an enjoyable episode, and I could even follow most of the plot. Good to have some discussion of legends and history - I expect that will lead some youngsters down interesting Fortean pathways in years to come.

The sci-fi element was a bit sketchy, although having Norman Knights as Robots must have saved some time! The scientific idea of Critical Mass was touched on, but I never heard of a critical mass of gold before!

Which brings me back to:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Golden_Arrow_(train)

I enjoyed it all apart from the bit with the arrow at the end. The scene that was cut changes things a bit. During the fight with the sheriff at the end RObin cuts his head off but the head continues to talk. It expalins how the ship crash landed onteh sheriff and they rebuilt him as a cyborg - so this explain his casual use of a view screen of some sort to see the riot. The Sheriff then puts his head back on and the fight continues as we saw it.

gordonrutter said:
I enjoyed it all apart from the bit with the arrow at the end. The scene that was cut changes things a bit. During the fight with the sheriff at the end RObin cuts his head off but the head continues to talk. It expalins how the ship crash landed onteh sheriff and they rebuilt him as a cyborg - so this explain his casual use of a view screen of some sort to see the riot. The Sheriff then puts his head back on and the fight continues as we saw it.
OK, that explains the comment about being part man part engine. Hopefully, at some point they'll release the full episode. On DVD, if not on repeat. (Hell, they may show it in 20 minutes in Australia, but I doubt it.)

The Telegraph critic gave it Five Stars:

Doctor Who, Robot of Sherwood, review: 'deliriously daft'
This tongue-in-cheek episode saw Peter Capaldi come into his own, says Michael Hogan
By Michael Hogan
9:58PM BST 06 Sep 2014

“No damsels in distress, no pretty castles and no such thing as Robin Hood,” yelled the titular Timelord as Doctor Who (BBC One) landed in 12th century Sherwood Forest. Naturally, an arrow immediately thudded into the door of the Tardis, followed by a green-clad outlaw smirking: “You called?” So began this funny and thrillingly old-fashioned adventure.

In the meantime, though, this was proper family fun and one of the most exhilaratingly enjoyable episodes of recent years. Although sadly, they never did get to Worksop.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/tvan ... -daft.html

Apparently it's the scene at:

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x25djb ... shortfilms

Which may be the same one, dunno as the earlier link has stopped working.

Removed, one imagines, as it's suspected that it may be suspected to be insensitive in light of the recent suspected beheading in which the suspect is suspected to have killed a woman.

Or something. :hmm:

Well that just makes things doubly silly.
Having used 'Seize him', earlier on in the script, why not do 'Tis but a scratch?'.

Wasted opportunity in my book. (which is a scruffy book with littered with interminable scratchings and doodles of flying pig sharks devouring penguins).

But why didn't Malcom Tucker call Robin a 'Cock-headed Hyena' and the Sheriff a 'Medieval Cuntibolloxing Swordtard'?

This series is confusing me.

I realised that along with the Missy/Promised Land theme, each episode has featured a damaged object (two spaceships & a dalek) that needed fixing/healing. In each case the fixing/healing has proved a problem for others. Surely not a coincidence for a main character called The Doctor? I wonder if this theme will continue in future episodes?

Well, losing the beheading scene didn't damage it too much. I suspect, though, they'll add it back in for DVD, unless we have a lot more high profile beheadings between now and then.

Hardcore fans will want it in for completeness, some of us won't really care about it too much. Maybe they'll just have it as a DVD extra.

Notable that they left a beheading in, earlier in the episode, perhaps because it wasn;t seen to happen to a human.

Without the bad sheriff's beheading it doesn't make that much sense when he refers to himself as 'half man, half engine', although you can infer what he might be getting at.

I thought it was ambiguous too as to whether Robin was real, the end looks like there's going to be a reveal and then we don't see his 'injury'. Which is odd considering the word play in the title.

Of course the big problem now is the fact that with that scene not being broadcast there are going to be arguments about whether it is canon or not...

OneWingedBird said:
Let's leave those to them as what are inclined to argue about such! :lol:
What? You think we aren't those people?

Well, tonight was different!

There are probably hundreds of kids who've never had a nightmare before - but they will now!

The simplicity of the staging added to the atmosphere - when the knocks came, I found myself looking around the room! :shock:

Yeah, nice to see the show try something different. Strange, atmospheric, dare I say eerie but weirdly empty episode tonight, as if we weren't getting the whole story. Well, you could say we don't get the whole story in a bunch of Moffat-era episodes, but it felt very important here for reasons that were deliberately not explained.

Must say, I've never had a dream where there's a thing under the bed, so feel a bit left out. Never had a companion like Clara to cope with the fear, either, so doubly left out. Anyway, I think this one will stay with me for a while.

Doctor Who, BBC One, review: 'bravery and brio'
A funny and frightening Doctor Who showed that even the Timelord is afraid of the dark
By Michael Hogan
8:20PM BST 13 Sep 2014

After last week’s thigh-slapping Robin Hood romp, it was about time Doctor Who drove the nation’s children back behind the sofa. This neck-pricklingly creepy story delivered so well that some grown-ups might have squeezed behind the soft furnishings too. It was the scariest episode involving a craggy Scotsman since Gordon Brown last tried to smile. ;)

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/tvan ... -brio.html

rynner2 said:
..but I can't even post the URL. (I suspect a keyboard problem...)
In fact it may have been a 'Windows virtual memory too low' problem - it's sorting itself now.

The blanket bit was pant wettingly scary for me, always found that sort of thing massively unnerving... and also reminiscent of a certain M R james story.

Back